Solarium Pool Adult Only Policy

Sealubber73

We are considering the Reflection for our 17th cruise this fall. Before our 5 year old came along, we enjoyed the solarium pool on the Millineum. We would go after dinner and have it to ourselves. How strict is the adults only policy on the Reflection? I'm sure my daughter will hate not being able to get in it once she sees it! Also, any thoughts on the Reflection for a 5 year old? She has been on 4 cruises, but never with Celebrity. She is well behaved (as 5 year olds go), but typically does not prefer to do the kids club activities. Thanks!

We are considering the Reflection for our 17th cruise this fall. Before our 5 year old came along, we enjoyed the solarium pool on the Millineum. We would go after dinner and have it to ourselves. How strict is the adults only policy on the Reflection? I'm sure my daughter will hate not being able to get in it once she sees it! Also, any thoughts on the Reflection for a 5 year old? She has been on 4 cruises, but never with Celebrity. She is well behaved (as 5 year olds go), but typically does not prefer to do the kids club activities. Thanks!

While I have no issue with kids on ships, I do have issues with people trying to get around the rules in the adults-only venues. Children should ALL be well-behaved on a ship, so that goes without saying.

While one 5 year old likely wouldn't be disruptive, if other parents saw ONE child there, it would likely cause issues with the parents AND the other cruisers who were looking forward to an adults-only area that they paid for in their cruise fare.

Please don't break the rules for the adults-only areas - they are there for a reason.

Thank you.

While I have no issue with kids on ships, I do have issues with people trying to get around the rules in the adults-only venues. Children should ALL be well-behaved on a ship, so that goes without saying.

While one 5 year old likely wouldn't be disruptive, if other parents saw ONE child there, it would likely cause issues with the parents AND the other cruisers who were looking forward to an adults-only area that they paid for in their cruise fare.

Please don't break the rules for the adults-only areas - they are there for a reason.

Thank you.

I quite agree with the above. I have seen parents asked to leave with their child on one ocation.

Some of us without children go to the adults only areas expecting to not get splashed or hear kids playing. Yes, yes, I realize drunk adults can also be loud, but I've never been splashed by adults, only kids. For reasons I don't understand, kids seem to splash even when they're not trying to.

And since I read in the pool or hot tub, I would not appreciate getting my magazine or my nook wet by a kid in the adult pool.

Pool Attendants on Silhouette this past summer were actively walking the Solarium and I saw them on several occasions asking parents with kids in the Solarium to find a different spot.... If they let one in, they have to do the same for everyone. Even if the pool attendant didn't say anything, other passengers surely would....

I made a choice in life to not have kids. I also make vacation choices that involve options with few or no kids. I'm quite tolerant of a lot of things in life. Chances are I wouldn't be so tolerant of adults when they choose not to follow the rules established by the cruise line. Please don't place yourself (or your kids) in a position that forces the ship crew to act in a way that will only create hard feelings and a negative experience.

I made a choice in life to not have kids. I also make vacation choices that involve options with few or no kids. I'm quite tolerant of a lot of things in life. Chances are I wouldn't be so tolerant of adults when they choose not to follow the rules established by the cruise line. Please don't place yourself (or your kids) in a position that forces the ship crew to act in a way that will only create hard feelings and a negative experience.

Thank you for stating that with grace and eloquence.

I also made the choice to not have kids, and I appreciate seeing others who have made that same choice, and are also polite and respectful!

Thank you!

We took our five year old grand daughter on the equinox in November and she had a fantastic time, we wouldn't have dreamt of taking her into the solarium as that's an adults only area. Even though it was a bit cool in the main pool at times the rules are there for a reason, to give adults a space without children.

I know on some itineraries they have opened the indoor pool for an hour a day at a specified time (usually when the outdoor pool is totally unusable)

The kids club on celebrity is great and she enjoyed a second cruise this year with her mum but did say during the main school holidays there were too many children! :)

I don't think Celebrity suits all children, the same as it doesn't suit all people, but for a quiet child who likes crafts, reading, proper dining and visiting interesting places it's perfect :)

The Solarium is a large venue on all of Celebrity's Ships... And it is located next to the Spa... And the two do go hand in hand as they are BOTH Adult venues where people go to relax...

I get that the Solarium physically sits between midship and the fore elevators, so I am the sort who would not be upset if a family was walking thru Enroute (but know that some others might be because there is signage on the doors clearly stating 16+)

And there are other options for kids & families (the pools on the same deck) ... As well as Walking back to the midship Elevators, or outside around the Solarium (one deck up)

But no sorry, I don't want your family setting up camp in the Solarium... Even tho your darling won't be using the pool & hot tubs

Because what I want is an atmosphere that is truly ADULT... Away from children. I would be really upset if the relative silence was broken by a child crying or screeching... Or physically in the pool & hot tubs

So please, make it easy on all of us (I won't have to awkwardly report you... And you won't be faced with the awkwardness of having to leave)... Just obey the rules as posted. Thank you

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I have never used the "adult" pools even when sailing without kids. I prefer the "life" of the main pools.

I personally, would never dream of taking my kids to the adult pools, no matter how well-behaved they might be ....guaranteed there is a passenger nearby ready to pounce to preserve the sanctity of the adult pool.

What I don't get is why they design the ships in such a way that these adult pools are plopped in an area which is used as a pass-through. I'm not yet familiar with the layout of Reflection but I can see from Sloop's response that this is also the case on Reflection.

I won't re-route my path to avoid the adult area. On one of our recent cruises (Oasis?) we must have crossed through the Adult area 10x a day. I always told my kids to speak softly while passing through to be respectful of those who were trying to read or relax. But I always felt on edge just walking through, there was always someone glaring and ready to pounce if we attempted to sit down in that area.

I think there is a big difference between quietly maneuvering with kids in tow as a family passes from one end of the ship to the other (passing through the Solarium) and noisy/screaming kids that are dragged through the Solarium by their parents that don't seem to care or respect the solitude that is sought after by others. A little common sense goes a long way.... hopefully that isn't expecting too much (even on vacation :rolleyes:).

I am booked on the Eclipse with my 3 children. They will not be stepping foot in the solarium at all, I would rather find a different route. And they also will not be setting foot in ANY of the whirlpools. The main pools outside, with me in there with them, but not alone. I treasure my child free time so will do everything possible to ensure my children do not disturb anyone. They will be in kids club whenever possible. Especially my 5 year old.

On our recent Millie cruise the Solarium had a family hour every night around 5pm - might have even been two hours, I don't recall precisely, I just remember seeing the sign. Outside those times the adults-only rule was in force.

Also when the weather is bad I have seen the Solarium opened up to properly supervised kids.

Apart from those times I'm sure the presence of a child would upset some people so best to avoid the area.

Same for me. Additionally, I don't have a problem reminding people of rules if staff doesn't bother. I cruise Celebrity specifically for rules such as pools and smoking, and if those rules aren't followed, I (and sounds like others) will take my business elsewhere.

Strictly enforced except for rare exception in inclement weather for short time periods of the day.

Not likely to change...but on some ships there'a nice kiddie pool and on some a water spray area at main pool

Wish they would also keep the children out of outdoor hot tubs...in cooler weather used by some as kiddie pool...

Strictly enforced except for rare exception in inclement weather for short time periods of the day.

Not likely to change...but on some ships there'a nice kiddie pool and on some a water spray area at main pool

Wish they would also keep the children out of outdoor hot tubs...in cooler weather used by some as kiddie pool...

Agreed.

And for the record...

If it was a cool weather cruise, and Celebrity announced that there would be family hours in the Solarium to compensate for the fact that the regular pools were unusable...

I would be ok with that... As it would be a Rule change

Cheers!

Even though I have children and grandchildren I have little tolerance when rules are broken and invade my adult only space. Like others have mentioned, inclement weather can make a difference.

I do not hesitate to first speak to the parents and if that does not work ask one of the pool attendants to take care of the matter.

Sorry if that does not work for you.....

It's Adults Only. That means No Children.

I'm sure kid sensitive shipmates would complain if you tried to circumvent the rules re: pool use.

Just curious, why can't you use the general pool?l

As a parent with four children - all very rambunctious boys, and all of whom have cruised with us - I really have appreciated the adult only areas. I'm anticipating appreciating the adult only areas on my cruise next week. I love kids, but not when I'm expecting to be apart from them. And I would find myself quite annoyed with any parents who tried to bring kids into an adult only area. I would also find myself annoyed if the ship staff didn't enforce the rules. Calling an area adults only but not enforcing it, seems like false advertising to me.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, but I hope that you will also respect your fellow passengers and their expectations by not bringing your children with you into an adults only area of the ship.

(Also, FWIW, my first post.)

As a parent with four children - all very rambunctious boys, and all of whom have cruised with us - I really have appreciated the adult only areas. I'm anticipating appreciating the adult only areas on my cruise next week. I love kids, but not when I'm expecting to be apart from them. And I would find myself quite annoyed with any parents who tried to bring kids into an adult only area. I would also find myself annoyed if the ship staff didn't enforce the rules. Calling an area adults only but not enforcing it, seems like false advertising to me.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, but I hope that you will also respect your fellow passengers and their expectations by not bringing your children with you into an adults only area of the ship.

(Also, FWIW, my first post.)

Good post! Welcome to the fray!

FWIW, it does get interesting now and then!;)

Stick with it, an invaluable source of information if you are really into cruising.

As others have noted, "adult only" pools are indeed intended for "adults only". Not just on Celebrity but on other lines as well. Most lines do enforce this policy and if not, fellow passengers will probably "enlighten" the offending party. I've known many parents who go to the adult only pool for a break while their children are enjoying the children's programs that the ships offer.

While we haven't been on the Reflection, we have been on her sisters: the Eclipse & Solstice. They are beautiful ships! Enjoy your cruise, no matter which one you choose! :)

Oh and welcome to Cruise Critic! :)