WARNING re: Carnival egift cards

xowendyxo

Do not combine egift cards with other forms of payment, do two separate transactions!

I bought a $500 egift card with my Verizon Rewards to pay off my cruise. My balance was $533, and you are given the option of using two forms of payment. I applied the gift card and used my debit card for the remaining $33. Before I.hit submit, my payments showed as $500 using gift card, $33 using credit card 1. I hit submit, and got a confirmation for $500 on BOTH cards!!

I called Carnival, spoke with a rep who said that, yes, I have $466 credit on my account! So, he was refunding the $466...I asked when I would see the refund and he said that they process their cards at 4 pm and I should see it after that. You think I have?? Of course not. I will be calling again today, I need to go grocery shopping!

So, just a word of warning, do two separate transactions.

You may have to get on a three way call with Carnival and your bank to get it released. It's really a pain (I work in hospitality) and we always make it very clear that banks treat debit cards differently than credit cards. It is more difficult to release a debit card hold. Good luck!!

I hope that you get your money back soon! I'm sorry that happened to you - but thanks for sharing your experience. I will be doing the same thing in January for our April cruise and would have done it the same way you did. Now I know to put it through as 2 transactions. You could try calling your bank to see if they can help.

Please come back and let us know how you made out.

I sure will. I called my credit union, they were closed. Called Carnival, they said the refund was processed, so it's hung up at my bank. I will call Monday to see if I can expedite things. The $500 charge was processed, its not pending, so hopefully the refund will pop up tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Your charges will be in "hold" pattern on the debit card, it's the bank at this point to release that hold for that large amount, it doesn't instantly get erased.

I was surprised that the charge went from pending to complete as fast as it did. I am hoping the refund is going to pop up Monday, although Carnival told me (today) that it could take 3 to 10 days.

I am just thankful this was an "extra" check this month and I had the money to cover it :)

Thanks for sharing your experience and the glaring flaw in Carnival's payment system regarding multiple payment methods. Clearly $500 should have come from the egift card and the remaining $33 from your second form of payment (total of $533)...not $500 from each (total of $1000)!

This is a good reason to avoid using debit cards if at all possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did notice with making payments on Carnival site, they are immediately (not pending) on my bank account. If it's at night time and I log into my checking out, I can see it taken in out, but the details will show up in the morning.

I just can't understand why it takes so long to reverse it.

My bank has a point rewards program and I can use the points to buy gift cards. If I use the points to get one from Carnival, they don't send an ecard, like I thought. When I read the fine print, I see that they send a Cruise Dollars certificate instead. I would have to mail that certificate to Carnival in order to apply it towards a reservation. It cannot be used as the initial cruise payment, it cannot go towards onboard credit, and it must be mailed by certified mail! I can't believe that in this day and age you can't just type in a certificate number and apply it towards your account. The poster brings up a great point about the problems with using more than 1 form of payment!

My bank has a point rewards program and I can use the points to buy gift cards. If I use the points to get one from Carnival, they don't send an ecard, like I thought. When I read the fine print, I see that they send a Cruise Dollars certificate instead. I would have to mail that certificate to Carnival in order to apply it towards a reservation. It cannot be used as the initial cruise payment, it cannot go towards onboard credit, and it must be mailed by certified mail! I can't believe that in this day and age you can't just type in a certificate number and apply it towards your account. The poster brings up a great point about the problems with using more than 1 form of payment!

The Verizon programs gives you a choice between card and cruise certificate. I'm glad I read how you can use them before I bought! Cruise certificates are a pain in the :p.

Op, I reserved a cruise one time and mistakenly paid in full. I only wanted to pay the $500 deposit. I called carnival and they immediately refunded me the money. Can't remember how long it took, but you should be ok.

I did notice with making payments on Carnival site, they are immediately (not pending) on my bank account. If it's at night time and I log into my checking out, I can see it taken in out, but the details will show up in the morning.

I just can't understand why it takes so long to reverse it.

Me too!! :confused:

The Verizon programs gives you a choice between card and cruise certificate. I'm glad I read how you can use them before I bought! Cruise certificates are a pain in the :p.

Op, I reserved a cruise one time and mistakenly paid in full. I only wanted to pay the $500 deposit. I called carnival and they immediately refunded me the money. Can't remember how long it took, but you should be ok.

Thanks! I am sure I will get the money back, it is just a question of when. Like the previous poster, I just get why it comes out of my bank account so quickly but it takes 7 to 10 days to get it back :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experience and the glaring flaw in Carnival's payment system regarding multiple payment methods. Clearly $500 should have come from the egift card and the remaining $33 from your second form of payment (total of $533)...not $500 from each (total of $1000)!

This is a good reason to avoid using debit cards if at all possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are multiple reasons I shouldn't use my debit card...I've been sent 3 new ones in the last 6 months because my account has been compromised! But, I know myself. I need to pay 'cash' for things and not charge. I have a Carnival Card that I promised I would pay off every month...and I didn't :(

There are multiple reasons I shouldn't use my debit card...I've been sent 3 new ones in the last 6 months because my account has been compromised! But, I know myself. I need to pay 'cash' for things and not charge. I have a Carnival Card that I promised I would pay off every month...and I didn't :(

Been there, done that! I wholeheartedly agree with you. Hope your fiasco gets straightened out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dang............ I'll get flamed here, but seriously, this make zero sense and sounds like something that happens to "those types" of people. With "those types" being the ones that just always have issues in life or are always in line at guest services, and not only on board guest services, but guest services everywhere! They just need help because they can't comprehend how to do things correctly.

Yes, you might say I'm a "jerk", but this is a fact. I am sticking up for the giftcards, I love them, use them all the time, and personally NEVER have an issue.

So if you want to call me a "jerk" for being honest, all I have to say is this was obviously USER ERROR. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Nothing to see here if you are the type of person that never screws up things, move along people, this thread is for those that cannot understand things and screw things up all the time and always hold up the McDonalds drive thru because they screw things up but blame the workers!

Have a wonderful day!

Hugs,

Me :D

I've also had my card compromised and replaced because of Target than Home Depot. Both of them I found out when trying to use it, because the email and postal mail came out within the hour. I will be using cash for the actual cruise. At least I won't have to worry about that again.

Dang............ I'll get flamed here, but seriously, this make zero sense and sounds like something that happens to "those types" of people. With "those types" being the ones that just always have issues in life or are always in line at guest services, and not only on board guest services, but guest services everywhere! They just need help because they can't comprehend how to do things correctly.

Yes, you might say I'm a "jerk", but this is a fact. I am sticking up for the giftcards, I love them, use them all the time, and personally NEVER have an issue.

So if you want to call me a "jerk" for being honest, all I have to say is this was obviously USER ERROR. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Nothing to see here if you are the type of person that never screws up things, move along people, this thread is for those that cannot understand things and screw things up all the time and always hold up the McDonalds drive thru because they screw things up but blame the workers!

Have a wonderful day!

Hugs,

Me :D

From your post, you are assuming a Hell of a lot about me. User error? No, an error on Carnival's end. The rep admitted it is a problem and someone else on the boards had the same problem, luckily it was only $50.

How about you go ahead and try it? Let me know how it works, you know, you being so smart and all :rolleyes:

I've also had my card compromised and replaced because of Target than Home Depot. Both of them I found out when trying to use it, because the email and postal mail came out within the hour. I will be using cash for the actual cruise. At least I won't have to worry about that again.

Its crazy, isn't it?

I had someone try to book airline tickets and a hotel room in France! At least my bank knows I'm not THAT much fun :)

From your post, you are assuming a Hell of a lot about me. User error? No, an error on Carnival's end. The rep admitted it is a problem and someone else on the boards had the same problem, luckily it was only $50.

How about you go ahead and try it? Let me know how it works, you know, you being so smart and all :rolleyes:

Awesome response, you didn't even take him up on his offer to call him a jerk. Good for you.

Good luck with the credit, hope it posts Monday.