Most Casual Allowed Dress for MDR

curious_st

I am beginning to think about packing for our upcoming cruise. In the past, I chose to forego the MDR, but I think that we will go there on this cruise. So, what is the most casual attire that is officially allowed in the MDR on both regular nights and elegant night.

I checked Carnival's website, but I found the wording confusing. For instance, what are dressy shorts? They are allowed, but shorts are listed as prohibited. Can my hubby wear khaki shorts down to his knees with a polo or tee shirt and sneakers on a regular night? And, jeans or capris and a plain v-neck knit shirt with Sperrys be OK for me on a regular night? Would black dress pants and a sparkly sweater set be OK for me on elegant night? And, khaki pants with brown sandals (not flip flops) or Sperrys and a polo for him on elegant night?

Please don't flame. We do not dress trashy in any way. We do not bare too much skin, wear offensive graphics or wording on clothes, and believe that flip flops belong on the beach and not on the streets. We are just trying to pack in 1 suitcase each, and not purchase clothing that we will only wear once a year when on vacation.

Capris have always been a mainstay for women. For men, dress shorts (Bermuda style, I guess you'd say) and a collared shirt (golf/polo) is more appropriate than a tee shirt. Yes, your black slacks/sparkly top are fine on elegant night on Carnival. Sandals are in NO WAY elegant...bring some closed toed shoes! Even "boat shoes"/docksiders would be better than bare toes!

Carnival is one of the more casual lines...you'll be fine.

I am beginning to think about packing for our upcoming cruise. In the past, I chose to forego the MDR, but I think that we will go there on this cruise. So, what is the most casual attire that is officially allowed in the MDR on both regular nights and elegant night.

I checked Carnival's website, but I found the wording confusing. For instance, what are dressy shorts? They are allowed, but shorts are listed as prohibited. Can my hubby wear khaki shorts down to his knees with a polo or tee shirt and sneakers on a regular night? And, jeans or capris and a plain v-neck knit shirt with Sperrys be OK for me on a regular night? Would black dress pants and a sparkly sweater set be OK for me on elegant night? And, khaki pants with brown sandals (not flip flops) or Sperrys and a polo for him on elegant night?

Please don't flame. We do not dress trashy in any way. We do not bare too much skin, wear offensive graphics or wording on clothes, and believe that flip flops belong on the beach and not on the streets. We are just trying to pack in 1 suitcase each, and not purchase clothing that we will only wear once a year when on vacation.

You realize you are asking about Carnival.....right? Saw a family dressed liked the Honey Boo Boo Family on elegant night and they were let right in. Wear whatever you want.

We used to dress in a suit/tie for DH and long gown for me for formal nights but after 3 or 4 cruises we did tire of that and we go more casually now. DH wears slacks and a button-up shirt with collar, and I wear black dress slacks and a dressy top. On our cruises that is pretty much "normal" for the elegant nights. We still see a few suits/tuxes and long gowns but not many. And we do see a few in jeans, but personally for me that is a bit too casual.

Everything that you mentioned will totally be fine. The MDR is supper casual. No Worries, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cruiseelady

You realize you are asking about Carnival.....right? Saw a family dressed liked the Honey Boo Boo Family on elegant night and they were let right in. Wear whatever you want.

Yeah, pretty much. Seems as long as your "naughty bits" are covered you will be fine.

We just got off of the freedom and I can safely say almost anything was allowed. I did not like to see people wearing flip flops and clothes they wore to the pool. I am not uptight at all but I was shocked at what some were wearing

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I think that the black slacks, and a glittery sweater are fine for formal night. Pack another glittery top and one skirt and you can mix and match for 4 days.

Woman's dress sandals are dress, men sandals are a bit more informal.

It is too bad that people dont want to dress for dinner, it helps make the "cruise" experience, but I understand about packing in one suitcase, especially if flying these days.

I'm a man and wear shorts and croc's every night but dress up night. I wear long pants and a polo shirt. But on dress up night I wear socks with my croc's. Now I'm the one who would get mad at my kids for not dressing up. But after 40 cruise's I'm laid back.

I wear nice capris and "dressy" flip flops or slides. On formal night I wear black pants and a sparkly top and dressy sandals I got from Zappo's called Rosette by David Tate...very dressy and perfect for formal nights. For picture click here http://a2.zassets.com/images/z/4/4/5/6/7/3/445673-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

My husband wears Khaki pants in the dining room, and depending on the ship, a suit for formal night. Sometimes he just wears his suit pants and a white shirt and tie, no coat. If we eat lunch in the dining room, we both wear shorts.

I, too, get all of my clothes and shoes in a carry-on for a 7-day. I wear the same outfits twice, mix and match tops, same outfit for both formal nights. Who really cares anyway? Now all the other stuff goes in the large suitcase...beach bag, hair dyer, toiletries, make up mirror, snorkel gear, etc. No way around not taking that stuff! I just want all my clothes with me.

It is a shame you have missed out on at least trying the MDR.

I think you will be fine and don't worry about fashion police. If you are anything close to the suggestions you should be fine.

So, will we look out of place if my family and extended family is dressed in suits and gowns? This is a lot of our first cruises and we were excited about dressing up and taking pics. But if we will stick out like a sore thumb, Im not so sure now.

We were planning on sundresses (women) and khaki's and a button up shirt(men) for the regular nights and suits and gowns for elegant night.

I'm not sure what to do now.

So, will we look out of place if my family and extended family is dressed in suits and gowns? This is a lot of our first cruises and we were excited about dressing up and taking pics. But if we will stick out like a sore thumb, Im not so sure now.

We were planning on sundresses (women) and khaki's and a button up shirt(men) for the regular nights and suits and gowns for elegant night.

Greetings,

Despite the ongoing flame war between the "I'm on vacation casuals" and the "Why doesn't the maitre'd enforce the dress codes" ... and I see both of their points by the way ... take your elegants and wear them. Literally hundreds and hundreds of cruisers will be dressed on formal night and there are lots of photo ops.

I wear a jacket every night in the MDR. Sometimes with a tie sometimes not. I wear my tux on formal night. Even the "I'm on vacations" compliment the well dressed.

I don't want excessive noise, drunkeness or rudeness at dinner. If I don't like the way my tablemates dress or behave I change tables night 1. Other than that as long as people don't wander in dripping from the pool I turn a blind eye if the cruise line bends their dress code rules.

Having said that, I would prefer if rules were enforced from dress to chair hogs. But they aren't enforced consistently and I won't let that ruin my holiday.

So get your best bib and tucker on and have a BLAST!!!!!

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

You will look great! Do it and enjoy the memories those pics will bring you in the future.

:D Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear. We will go as planned and enjoy ourselves. I for one am looking forward to the dressing up. We don't dress up for our daily jobs so this will be something different for us, fun for us.

Memories are what we are shooting for and this is a big part of it.

This site has been such a help for us. I only hope one day I can pay it forward to someone new. :)

:D Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear. We will go as planned and enjoy ourselves. I for one am looking forward to the dressing up. We don't dress up for our daily jobs so this will be something different for us, fun for us.

Memories are what we are shooting for and this is a big part of it.

This site has been such a help for us. I only hope one day I can pay it forward to someone new. :)

During both of the cruise elegant nights that you get dressed up there will be sections of the Promenade deck that the photographers will be set up to take pictures. There are at least a dozen different stations. Stop at them all, and let them click away. You're not under any obligation to buy the overpriced pix, but there may be one that will remind you of your cruise experience and make you smile whenever you see it posted on your wall or bookshelf at home.

I was just off the fascination last week and I saw a woman probably early forties with her grown daughter both wearing bathing suits in MDR at night. They did have cut off jeans pulled up on the bottom of the bathing suits but I found this to be a little more casual than it should be. I am by no means someone that must be formal but this just looked trashy. They were loud for whatever reason. Maybe due to alcohol and in my opinion should have been showed the door.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I was just off the fascination last week and I saw a woman probably early forties with her grown daughter both wearing bathing suits in MDR at night. They did have cut off jeans pulled up on the bottom of the bathing suits but I found this to be a little more casual than it should be. I am by no means someone that must be formal but this just looked trashy. They were loud for whatever reason. Maybe due to alcohol and in my opinion should have been showed the door.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Well, according to a couple of people on this thread, you only need ONE outfit a day. This was their outfit!!!! :eek: Lol

Well, according to a couple of people on this thread, you only need ONE outfit a day. This was their outfit!!!! :eek: Lol

Well, if I'm one of those people you're quoting I also mentioned two or three bathing suits. Never did I imply the bathing suit was your one outfit for the day.

The real question is. What is the absolute things I can't wear. Since this is a Carnival Ship, you must wear a top, and bottom, that is not swim wear, and wear you flip flops, since they are "cute" and "sparkly". Guys don't have to wear "sparkly" flip flops, since they seem acceptable plain on a guy.

If you have to ask, than you need to understand, that the understanding what is appropriate and not appropriate dress for a sit down meal was sadly not taught.