What was your first NCL ship?

Susie51

My first cruise was on NCL's Starward in 1978. Looking back, it was perhaps the worst of my 52 cruises, but enough to get hooked on this vacation option.:)

We did two more NCL cruises, all of which were mediocre at best, but we are scheduled to cruise on the Jewel this coming March to see if the product has improved. We are hoping that the UDP will kick things up a notch or two and we can start including NCL as part of our rotation.

After 12 cruises on Princess and HAL, we are giving them the "boot" for now. Celebrity is still number one with us, but we are always looking for alternatives!!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Edited by kelmac

Mine was the Wind (no longer part of NCL's fleet), in 2007. It was also my first cruise ever and it was 12 days - Hawaii and Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati, 1000 south of Honolulu. it was great! NCL no longer goes to Fanning :( and I've often wondered how the natives are doing without NCL making their weekly or so stop there.

In March I will take my 3rd NCL cruise (7th in all).

Southward - 1993

I just went to the cabin photos forum and saw a photo of Starward. Southward is a similar ship and I couldn't believe how tiny it is compared to todays ships. When I was on Southward, I thought it was big. Little did I know what was ahead in ship building for cruise lines.

Greetings. We will be sailing Norwegian for the first time on the Dawn next year and the wife and kids are super excited! I've been reading up and watching videos and this seems like the perfect fit. We have noticed a couple other cruise lines get stuffy but I like the vibe on your threads and roll calls. We are already looking at where we want to go next! :)

Greetings. We will be sailing Norwegian for the first time on the Dawn next year and the wife and kids are super excited! I've been reading up and watching videos and this seems like the perfect fit. We have noticed a couple other cruise lines get stuffy but I like the vibe on your threads and roll calls. We are already looking at where we want to go next! :)

I have sailed Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity and Norweigian Cruise Line. None seemed stuffy to me personally. I loved every cruise and made friends on every ship. I personally like NCL line the most, ever since my first trip on the Norweigian Dawn sailing a couple years back. They (NCL) didn't just hook me, they set it pretty solidly. I know cruising is not to everyones taste, but I can't understand how not. The excitment for your first NCL cruise on the Dawn is a good thing to look forward too. I have since sailed on the Gem, the Dawn again and another on Dawn in May 2015 and then Breakaway in Nov. 2015.

I will probably keep sailing NCL until a Royal Caribbean Quantum class ship home ports in the northeast, if that ever happens. I am platinum on RCCL so I am not against seeing what the other cruiselines have to offer.

First NCL cruise was a Canada/NE cruise on the Dreamward in Sept. of 95. Sailed the same ship after it was named the Norwegian Dream to the Baltics in 2001 and to Bermuda in 2008. Our Dawn cruise in April will bring us to Platinum. Love freestyle.

i-cK6wh8F-L.jpg

After 14 cruises mostly on Princess, Celebrity and RCCL we've just completed our first NCL cruise on the Jade two weeks ago, sailing from Venice to Rome.

I must admit that many negative comments on cruise critic forums about NCL gave me the impression that we would not enjoy a Norwegian cruise.

I'm pleased to say that our cruise experience, although short and very port intensive, was as good as any we have had. The food which seemed to draw the ire of many posters was excellent, plentiful and imaginative. Our basic room had all that we needed including a shower that you didn't have to step out of to pick up a bar of soap from the floor.

Appreciated not having to take extra clothes for formal nights and the friendly crew.

The Jade was perfect for a European cruise and look forward to trying one of the newer ships in the Caribbean.

Our very first cruise was on NCL's Sunward II in 1985 or 86. I loved cruising from that day forward. I wish I knew how to post pics--I have a t-shirt and an ash tray to prove it! Now I'm widowed and sailing in a Getaway studio in January--my 36th cruise.

Southward - 1993

I just went to the cabin photos forum and saw a photo of Starward. Southward is a similar ship and I couldn't believe how tiny it is compared to todays ships. When I was on Southward, I thought it was big. Little did I know what was ahead in ship building for cruise lines.

The Norway. She was a true classic ocean liner and a grand old lady. The crew was excellent and mostly from Europe