4 day pacific coastal cruise cancelled

madera1

Just received an email notification that our 4 night cruise on the Amsterdam May 26 has been cancelled. They have automatically re booked everyone on a 3 night cruise that won't leave until the 28th. We have until Dec 12 to decide if we will accept new schedule, rebook to another cruise, cancel. If we stay on the original now 3 night cruise we receive additional OBC $200pp for Neptune. At this time don't know fare or now changes in itinerary as website has not been updated. We were told to phone to confirm our wishes. Has this happened to others? I cannot recall reading of this before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seems to me that HAL should also offer put you up in a nice hotel for one or two nights prior to the cruise.

igraf

Just received an email notification that our 4 night cruise on the Amsterdam May 26 has been cancelled. They have automatically re booked everyone on a 3 night cruise that won't leave until the 28th. We have until Dec 12 to decide if we will accept new schedule, rebook to another cruise, cancel. If we stay on the original now 3 night cruise we receive additional OBC $200pp for Neptune. ....

Seems to me that HAL should also offer put you up in a nice hotel for one or two nights prior to the cruise.

igraf

Why should HAL be on the hook to give extra compensation for changing the details of a cruise more than half a year away? The line already did offer the OP extra OBC which they did not have to do. HAL is well within it's rights to make this sort of change this far out and be penalty free.

Edited by billbunger

I see nothing for Amsterdam after it arrives in Ft Lauderdale on April 30 from the WC until first Alaska cruise from Seattle. Either charter or dry dock or combination would be my guess

Amsterdam: 30 April 2015 - 10 May 2015 : dry dock in Grand Bahama Shipyard, Freeport, the Bahamas.

According to this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123208

Amsterdam: 30 April 2015 - 10 May 2015 : dry dock in Grand Bahama Shipyard, Freeport, the Bahamas.

According to this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123208

Interesting- her first Alaska cruise is showing as May 31. Don't think they could have a 3 day coastal on May 28 from San Diego to Seattle. I wonder if they will bus everyone to Ensenada and leave from there.

Interesting- her first Alaska cruise is showing as May 31. Don't think they could have a 3 day coastal on May 28 from San Diego to Seattle. I wonder if they will bus everyone to Ensenada and leave from there.

Perhaps they will rearrange things and go to Vancouver instead.

Oops- just realized they need Ensenada or Victoria in the mix.

Perhaps they will rearrange things and go to Vancouver instead.

Oops- just realized they need Ensenada or Victoria in the mix.

No Vancouver is a foreign port not a US port, so no other foreign port would be needed as you are not crusing from one US port to another.

If your OBC is like what we got this past spring when the Noordam changed from Rome > Athens to Rome > Venice, (April15-26, 2014), you'll have to spend it all in 3 days before the cruise ends. Our HAL OBC was use or lose. What happened to us, almost 7 months before sailing, we got informed of a change by our TA and the options. Ended up with an extra $400 OBC and they covered the air fare, $450, that was a non-refundable flight from Athens to Rome that we had already booked. At first we were upset over the change but it ended up to be a great cruise. Changes happened, but I'd go with the new offer, $200pp aint bad.

No Vancouver is a foreign port not a US port, so no other foreign port would be needed as you are not crusing from one US port to another.

She sails from Seattle on May 31 to Alaska. If the 3 night Coastal OP is referring to is on Amsterdam on May 28 they would need to sail from Ensenada as they can't carry passengers from San Diego to Seattle. I don't see any Coastal cruises on May 28

She sails from Seattle on May 31 to Alaska. If the 3 night Coastal OP is referring to is on Amsterdam on May 28 they would need to sail from Ensenada as they can't carry passengers from San Diego to Seattle. I don't see any Coastal cruises on May 28

The poster was speculating that they might head to Vancouver on the 3-day (yes, still not posted on HAL's site) Maybe they could "dead-head to Seattle" for the next sailing? I think that is unlikely.

Sounds like a charter or as suggested above a brief dry dock.

It is not totally unheard of for any cruise line to accept reservations and then cancel them and charter. They have provided many months notice.

Sorry for your disappointment and inconvenience. Please let us know what you decide

to do.

Why should HAL be on the hook to give extra compensation for changing the details of a cruise more than half a year away? The line already did offer the OP extra OBC which they did not have to do. HAL is well within it's rights to make this sort of change this far out and be penalty free.

agreed

I have never heard of this before, I know I wouldn't like it. At 6 months out we have usually booked our hotels, air, etc. But it is their right. Let us know what you decide. :)

agree - our flights are booked by this time as well. As well as hotels.

Sorry to hear about the cruise cancellation - hoping the change works out for you.

Just received an email notification that our 4 night cruise on the Amsterdam May 26 has been cancelled. They have automatically re booked everyone on a 3 night cruise that won't leave until the 28th. We have until Dec 12 to decide if we will accept new schedule, rebook to another cruise, cancel. If we stay on the original now 3 night cruise we receive additional OBC $200pp for Neptune. At this time don't know fare or now changes in itinerary as website has not been updated. We were told to phone to confirm our wishes. Has this happened to others? I cannot recall reading of this before.

Oh, No. :(:(

I see the reference to the dry dock. However.... the sailing on May 10 is no longer listed under the Amsterdam on the HAL website. It is just gone. I had been looking at it. I was really interested as it sailed out of FLL and then would end in Seattle on May 31. Now.... nothing is there. :(

I see the reference to the dry dock. However.... the sailing on May 10 is no longer listed under the Amsterdam on the HAL website. It is just gone. I had been looking at it. I was really interested as it sailed out of FLL and then would end in Seattle on May 31. Now.... nothing is there. :(

It's sounding more and more like it's been chartered. Time will tell.

Because HAL is offering a 3-day cruise in lieu of a 4-day cruise. There is also the issue of the cancelled passengers having to pay airline fees to change flights.

igraf

Edited by igraf

It's sounding more and more like it's been chartered. Time will tell.

I contacted my assigned PCC and after researching it, came back with the reply the cruise now leaves FLL on May 12. They must have been rearranging the cruise when I checked the website last night because, yes, it is there. As is the shorter coastal cruise.

So as of right now, the Amsterdam is not chartered, just having her cruises tweaked. :o

We are now booked on the revised itinerary that leaves on May 27 and ends in Vancouver. We will no longer have a stop in Victoria. We plan to go ahead and just go. They lowered the price of the cabin by $100pp and we get the additional $200 OBC pp so not bad!!