Quantum Dynamic Dining - Per a call with RCCL, Posted Menus are "Examples"

Spoke with RCCL about differences between the menus onboard the TA and the menus on the web. I was told the menus on the web site are meant as examples and are intended to show the TYPE of food a given restaurant might serve. I was told the menu might change slightly every cruise, depending on what was fresh, or what holidays were happening during the cruise.

This is fine, but I figure that it's best that folks know this so that we all have realistic expectations.

If anyone at RCCL reads this, perhaps you might consider adding a note to the web-posted menus so people know to adjust their expectations... I didn't notice anything on the web page that says the menu is just an example (although it's possible I missed it)... Thanks!

I have no problems with the menus posted being examples and understand that things can change however I believe that the examples should be indicative of the food being offered.

The menu for American Icon really falls short. Ribeye and lobster being replaced by a turkey dinner, no cola braised short rib and buttermilk fried chicken replaced by chicken and waffles. Come on Royal, these aren't even close to the original posted menu that got many of us excited about DD.

With DD I would expect even more emphasis be placed on getting these posted menus accurate. We are having to make dining decisions months in advance. By limitations some of those key dishes people may have made different decisions about where to dine.

The menu for American Icon really falls short. Ribeye and lobster being replaced by a turkey dinner, no cola braised short rib and buttermilk fried chicken replaced by chicken and waffles. Come on Royal, these aren't even close to the original posted menu that got many of us excited about DD.

Annoyed with the bait and switch turkey for surf and turf, considering that I swapped out some reservations for Icon just for this choice.

I have no problems with the menus posted being examples and understand that things can change however I believe that the examples should be indicative of the food being offered.

With DD I would expect even more emphasis be placed on getting these posted menus accurate. We are having to make dining decisions months in advance. By limitations some of those key dishes people may have made different decisions about where to dine.

Was looking forward to all 3 of the items you mentioned in AI...

Disappointed they've removed them already

...and buttermilk fried chicken replaced by chicken and waffles.

Well actually the chicken and waffles is still Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken. Atleast that's what the menu posted in the live thread indicates. ;)

Disappointed with surf and turf being replaced, but a lobster dish was added to the Grande menu.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Adding it to The Grande menu while removing Surf & Turf from AI is not the greatest idea as many people who do not choose to dress formally but do choose to follow rules will have avoided booking The Grande. I love my lobster and if I had not brought formal wear and it was only in the Grande (despite it being shown thee other way around or both in sample menus) I would be quite justified to push the dress rules or request that I could order lobster and eat in one of the other venues IMO.

To use thee excuse that the menu changes occur because of sourcing produce is valid UNTIL you start thinking a little. Surf & Turf removed from AI. Lobster in The Grande. They must be unable to source steak?

I have no problem with menus changing but when the new choices are obviously a few steps down in value it starts to look a little sneaky to me.

Edited by woodyren

I agree. The American Icon menu, assuming it continues as it currently is on the Quantum TA, is a ridiculous bait and switch. Turkey vs. surf and turf? Really?!!? I mean... wow.

They have changed the menus since they came out with dynamic dining. Those changes are on the website and the current (example) menus can be found here. I can only speak for the Silk, but the pdf file on the main RCI website is exaclty the menu we had onboard for the pre inaugural. The menus posted on the main RCI website are different from those in that interactive booklet published earlier.

steamboats

They have changed the menus since they came out with dynamic dining. Those changes are on the website and the current (example) menus can be found here.

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats! Sounds like the web site folks just haven't caught up... they just need to add these to the Quantum Dynamic Dining site.

I like that the files names say "sample menu." Note to RCCL: you might want to add a footnote to this effect on the body of the PDF as well (since I imagine some folks may print these out and may forget the file naming convention).

Thanks again Steamboats!!!

Was there any kind of "everyday" menu in the dining rooms? I was told that there were going to be... I have some plain jane eater friends that are not going to be happy if they can't adapt what is on the menu to something that they will eat...

Was there any kind of "everyday" menu in the dining rooms? I was told that there were going to be... I have some plain jane eater friends that are not going to be happy if they can't adapt what is on the menu to something that they will eat...

It´s the same every day ;)! Nothing else like with the MDR menu (pasta, salmon, grilled chicken, steak).

steamboats

I knew that was too good to be true. Out of all the restaurants, American Icon was hardest for me to get at the times I wanted. Silk was easiest.

Adding it to The Grande menu while removing Surf & Turf from AI is not the greatest idea as many people who do not choose to dress formally but do choose to follow rules will have avoided booking The Grande.

Maybe this is their way of containing lobster costs.

I knew that there were several things that I thought I wanted to try but then didnt see on the menu. I thought I was imagining things at first.

One of my biggest issues with the menus on the TA was too much seafood for me. In most of the restaurants, nearly half of the items were seafood. I was much less impressed with the dining options than I thought I would be

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Jamie's Italian and my dinner at Chops was wonderful, much much better than my last two experiences. I only booked Chops because of the deal when you booked three restaurants you got so much money back. Well, I am very glad I did. The Chops on the Quantum was wonderful and they really knew how to cook a steak

Well actually the chicken and waffles is still Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken. Atleast that's what the menu posted in the live thread indicates. ;)

Disappointed with surf and turf being replaced, but a lobster dish was added to the Grande menu.

Speaking of chicken and waffles, it was advertised as cheese waffles, buttermilk fried chicken and a maple jus w/ bacon collards. It was the worst thing I had on the ship. The chicken and waffles were fine BUT they poured what tasted like canned nacho cheese over the waffles. This was the one time I had to talk the manager because I knew they wanted input. He admitted that he had not tasted the dish. Really? I would think the restaurant manager would know how everything on their menu would taste. Just my opinion.

Speaking of chicken and waffles, it was advertised as cheese waffles, buttermilk fried chicken and a maple jus w/ bacon collards. It was the worst thing I had on the ship. The chicken and waffles were fine BUT they poured what tasted like canned nacho cheese over the waffles. This was the one time I had to talk the manager because I knew they wanted input. He admitted that he had not tasted the dish. Really? I would think the restaurant manager would know how everything on their menu would taste. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with you on that. The #1 selling claim that RCCL has been making is that the specialized venues with dedicated staff would mean that they are all "experts" on every single dish and item. I know it was the first sailing, but they still had 5 days of the ship owned by RCCL plus time onboard before that. With lunch and dinner they should have easily been able to try every dish as a full meal, let alone simply sampling each one.

Speaking of chicken and waffles, it was advertised as cheese waffles, buttermilk fried chicken and a maple jus w/ bacon collards. It was the worst thing I had on the ship. The chicken and waffles were fine BUT they poured what tasted like canned nacho cheese over the waffles.

Doesn't sound very good. Did you eat there other nights?

I agree. The American Icon menu, assuming it continues as it currently is on the Quantum TA, is a ridiculous bait and switch. Turkey vs. surf and turf? Really?!!? I mean... wow.

I think I got this: tURkey has a similar sound to sURf and tURf so they tried to slip in that change. The other option was sea urchin, but it was too expensive.

Doesn't sound very good. Did you eat there other nights?

No, we did not. The couple we were traveling with had a bad experience at breakfast ( they never got their food) so we stayed away from it. They were so many other options and some, like Jamie's, were excellent.

No, we did not. The couple we were traveling with had a bad experience at breakfast ( they never got their food) so we stayed away from it. They were so many other options and some, like Jamie's, were excellent.

Problem is, American Icon is an included restaurant, Jamie's is not.

Problem is, American Icon is an included restaurant, Jamie's is not.

That's true. We had a $900 obc ( issued because of the problems) so we really weren't thinking about the cost, but Jamie's was still a good value. Wonderland, on the other hand, was interesting and different, but I would not pay $45 pp to eat there again. Seemed like the smaller venues had less problems than the large ones.