no invites to loyalty events

Tennessee Titan

As 4-stars working our way up to 5-stars, Mr Chew & I have attended some of the special events & skipped others ... it's no big deal to us. I can't imagine canceling a cruise over something like this ...

On my very first cruise on HAL, I was invited to attend the Mariners Luncheon and received a tile just like everyone else. The other people at my table sat & literally gasped in disbelief that I had been invited. One of them wanted to see my invitation to make sure it was legitimate. I just held it up and said "it's as good as yours." When the Beverage Manager came over to me and said "oh I'm so glad you could make it" I just smiled at the other lady across the table.

While recognition is very nice, and I do appreciate it when it comes my way, I think there are some people who take it a little too seriously. (Not singling out anyone on the HAL forums, it happens on all of them) ...

This is vacation time, not saving the world ...

I'm confused. Does one have to have an invitation to go to the Mariner's luncheon on embarkation day? I was looking forward to getting one of the HAL tiles. :confused: Thanks in advance!

Two different things. Lunch after embarkation is offered to any Mariner albeit many times fills up and no more room. No invitation required.

This thread is referring to the Mariners Luncheon usually held toward the end of cruise. Invitation and you will be given a tile. If your a Mariner and don't get invited than something went wrong in the process.

The two lunches are often confused and IMO should be re-named.

Edited by aliaschief

The meal offered Mariners when we board is called Mariners Embarkation Lunch.

The meal (and pre-reception for some people) is called Mariners Brunch. Very easily confused.

If you have sailed on any of the Carnival Family of Ships (Princess, Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Seabourn and HAL) you are a Mariner and eligible to go to both events.

I like that! We didn't receive an invitation on one cruise...I'll keep a look out next cruise and if it doesn't show up, will complain to Guest Services!

I'd prefer that too.;) Maybe we should arrange to get ignored or hide the invite on the next cruise, LOL.:D

Two different things. Lunch after embarkation is offered to any Mariner albeit many times fills up and no more room. No invitation required.

This thread is referring to the Mariners Luncheon usually held toward the end of cruise. Invitation and you will be given a tile. If your a Mariner and don't get invited than something went wrong in the process.

The two lunches are often confused and IMO should be re-named.

Thank you for clarifying! I see what you mean about "brunch" vs "lunch"... We are sailing our 3rd HAL cruise at the end of the month - So just One star. As far as I know, we have not been "invited" to anything. I am assuming that the Brunch is for recognition and awards to multi-stared Mariners...

Thank you again!!!!

Since becoming 4 and then 5 star mariners we have always been invited to all award presentations and VIP parties until we were on the Zuiderdam last year. We were on a b2b2b. I was taken back with no invitations after the first cruise and talk to the concierge about it. They just kind of blew us off, I think in actuality they didn't know what to say. As I found out from them we were the only 5 star mariners on board, and sadly this was our first experience of being 5 star. Also this was the first cruises to Alaska that season and had a very low count of Mariners on board. Consequently since that cruise we have been treated very well on all our cruise, especially on the Statendam, Zaandam and Westerdam.

This is generally how Alaska works: not many 5 stars, if any, few 4 stars.

We've been the highest Mariners a few times and were pretty much ignored.

One Alaska had no cooking class; one had no Pre-Brunch party for 4 Stars because "no one was being awarded a medallion"; one didn't even have a VIP party.

Different ship do things differently. Don't take it personally; we have learned not to.

This is generally how Alaska works: not many 5 stars, if any, few 4 stars.

We've been the highest Mariners a few times and were pretty much ignored.

One Alaska had no cooking class; one had no Pre-Brunch party for 4 Stars because "no one was being awarded a medallion"; one didn't even have a VIP party.

Different ship do things differently. Don't take it personally; we have learned not to.

That's certainly something we have leaned.;)

I rather suspect that some posters may be confusing a “Collector’s Cruise” with a B2B. A Collector’s Cruise, although consisting of multiple segments, has only one booking number for all of the different segments while a B2B usually has different booking numbers for each segment.

It is possible that the HAL computer recognizes the separate booking numbers for a B2B cruise and sends invitations to all segments while only seeing one booking number for the Collector’s Cruise.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

I rather suspect that some posters may be confusing a “Collector’s Cruise” with a B2B. A Collector’s Cruise, although consisting of multiple segments, has only one booking number for all of the different segments while a B2B usually has different booking numbers for each segment.

It is possible that the HAL computer recognizes the separate booking numbers for a B2B cruise and sends invitations to all segments while only seeing one booking number for the Collector’s Cruise.

Scott & Karen

I posted my experiences on collectors cruises on the Prinsendam and I think I know if I booked a collectors cruise or not.;)

and they were - and we were invited to both on both cruises.

No confusion by us - we know the difference.

I'm confused. Does one have to have an invitation to go to the Mariner's luncheon on embarkation day? I was looking forward to getting one of the HAL tiles. :confused: Thanks in advance!

Embarkation day luncheon is not the luncheon where they hand out the tiles. The tiles are handed out at the Mariner's Brunch for which you receive an invitation. That is usually held mid week on a sea day.

I enjoy the Mariner's medallion reception and the brunch because I have always been seated with really interesting people and enjoyed great conversation. For me, it was never about the meal or the status, just about the people.

Thanks for the tip about talking with the GRM. There was a mix-up on the cruise on which my Dear Sis should have received her bronze medallion. We had checked with the Front Office to make sure she was eligible on that cruise. They said yes but no invite and no medal, so she had to wait until the next cruise. We should have contacted the GRM to make sure it happened. In the interim she had contacted Seattle and a medallion was mailed to her, but where's the fun in that?

Just returned from Nieuw Amsterdam Collector. Found out that when you attend the Mariner Award ceremony/ lunch on the first segment, you are not invited to the second segment. No notice, no details no apology. As a 4 star Mariner, I have always been invited in the past. A real slap in the face insult to Hal's most loyal guests.

Just cancelled my future cruise booking, and am going to look elsewhere...

Confused....

you are a 4 star Mariner, so you must be pleased with HAL as you have sailed repeatedly with them these past years.

So because you weren't invited to a 2nd luncheon, you're cancelling your next cruise. That's all it takes for you to not sail on HAL ? It's not the quality or the presentation of the food, nor the service, the staff attitude, the entertainment, the accommodations, the condition of the ship, the price, the itinerary....

it's because you weren't invited to a 2nd Mariner's luncheon with hundreds of other passengers ?

There has to be more to the story.

Edited by Boatdrill

Aren't we all entitled to make our own choices for what ever reasons have meaning to us. Tennessee Titan expressed why he feels hurt and it is his prerogative and for us to respect. IMO

My DH would not have stopped sailing HAL but would have been displeased to not be invited to all Mariner Events while aboard. He enjoyed them, they had meaning to him and he wanted to attend. He was a very strong, successful professional man yet this was something he enjoyed. We were fortunate we were always (but for one circumstance that was corrected) invited and we always attended.

Tennessee Titan, I'm sorry for your disappointment and think a call to Mariners Society might be something to think about. They are usually very responsive and I have found them to be one of the best Departments at HAL. If you wish, have a chat with them. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I posted my experiences on collectors cruises on the Prinsendam and I think I know if I booked a collectors cruise or not.;)

and they were - and we were invited to both on both cruises.

No confusion by us - we know the difference.

Ditto.

We have done plenty of Collectors and the same for b-to-b and clearly understand the difference. :)

I enjoy the Mariner's medallion reception and the brunch because I have always been seated with really interesting people and enjoyed great conversation. For me, it was never about the meal or the status, just about the people.

Thanks for the tip about talking with the GRM. There was a mix-up on the cruise on which my Dear Sis should have received her bronze medallion. We had checked with the Front Office to make sure she was eligible on that cruise. They said yes but no invite and no medal, so she had to wait until the next cruise. We should have contacted the GRM to make sure it happened. In the interim she had contacted Seattle and a medallion was mailed to her, but where's the fun in that?

You likely know but perhaps others reading do not know GRM is head of Front Office. He or she would be 'the next level' with whom to speak about any issue the Front Office seems unable to resolve to your satisfaction.

and only get invited to one Mariner brunch each cruise. We have been invited several times to medallion receptions after receiving ours and we get a note asking if we plan to attend. I think it depends on how many Mariners are on board. It would not cause us to switch lines for not being invited to the same brunch twice.

You likely know but perhaps others reading do not know GRM is head of Front Office. He or she would be 'the next level' with whom to speak about any issue the Front Office seems unable to resolve to your satisfaction.

I wonder how easy it is to talk to the GRM. I would think the front desk would do their best to dissuade you from doing this. When I see people post this it makes me think that these people are waiting to be approached for any issue.

I wonder how easy it is to talk to the GRM. I would think the front desk would do their best to dissuade you from doing this. When I see people post this it makes me think that these people are waiting to be approached for any issue.

The GRMs are a mixed bunch. Some old hands are great, very approachable and ready to be of assistance. Some of the younger, newer ones are so-so.

It really helps to know them from past cruises.

It's true the Front Office can make it harder or not depending upon .....whatever. :rolleyes: I have always managed to speak with GRM when I thought it necessary and appropriate. That is not to say that has been on many occasions but now and then.

SilvertoGold is right they start to recognize you one cruise to another and it definitely makes it easier to reach them.

(I also know the telephone extension on some of the ships. :D :D

It's not about the food (understandably, because the menu is nothing special). It seems to be about recognition - and why not? Anyone with many days should be recognised for all the revenue they have brough to HAL. But most reports here seem to point to one one invite on a B2B or Collectors. Unless perhaps someone complains loud enough and they get the second invite. Perhaps the OP should have done that. I think logistics plays a part especially on a longer cruise where just about everyone deserves the recognition, but they have to limit the numbers for each luncheon.

Thanks for the explanation. It wouldn't be my cup of tea - I'm all about the food:D

Thanks for the explanation. It wouldn't be my cup of tea - I'm all about the food:D

Hard for you to say not your cup of tea until you taste the tea. :D No?

I think the salmon they serve at Mariners Brunch delicious. It's an appetizer but more than adequate for me to have as my entrée. Try it. You may like it. :)