What's the most OBC you have had?

britchicknyc

This new 123go promo has given me a nice chunk of OBC - more than I thought I would ever get - which is fantastic. I'm enjoying spending it in my head!

I recently completed my first X cruise and booked my 2nd under this promo but such generous OBC credit got me thinking... What's the most you have ever had?

Back in December, 2012, Celebrity had a $1000 OBC promotion for European cruises. I had this for October, 2013 13 day E Med cruise on the Reflection. Also for this cruise my TA gave me $400. So it was a total of $1400.

Edited by Banjo

I love OBC as much as anyone but I have always wondered if getting OBC from a TA or even the cruise line really means I am just paying too much and getting some of my money back that usually gets funneled to the cruise line by spending it onboard.

I recently switched TA's from one I used to get lots of OBC from to one who does not give any credit but had the lowest price by hundreds of $ pp of the dozens I compared it to. This way in the end I probably paid the same for the cruise or even less as someone using another TA but got $500 in OBC for it but I get to spend my $500 wherever I like, not just onboard....so my question is...is OBC really just a "feel good" marketing tactic to get us to buy when we really should just be paying less to begin with and in the end the cruise line makes out as we spend most if not all of the OBC onboard whereas we may not have spent that much if the OBC wasn't there........I am thinking YES!

Edited by SheriffJoe

It might make more sense if we knew what type of cabin (i.e. - Suite -reg or mini, Concierge Class, Aqua, regular veranda, oceanview, etc) went along with the OBC amounts.

For example, it makes sense to see $700 in OBC for a Suite, but it would be a HUGE amount for an oceanview cabin.

Edited by DinaS

I love OBC as much as anyone but I have always wondered if getting OBC from a TA or even the cruise line really means I am just paying too much and getting some of my money back that usually gets funneled to the cruise line by spending it onboard.

I recently switched TA's from one I used to get lots of OBC from to one who does not give any credit but had the lowest price by hundreds of $ pp of the dozens I compared it to. This way in the end I probably paid the same for the cruise or even less as someone using another TA but got $500 in OBC for it but I get to spend my $500 wherever I like, not just onboard....so my question is...is OBC really just a "feel good" marketing tactic to get us to buy when we really should just be paying less to begin with and in the end the cruise line makes out as we spend most if not all of the OBC onboard whereas we may not have spent that much if the OBC wasn't there........I am thinking YES!

Well it probably wouldn't have made any difference because most TAs OBC is refundable, so you could still spend it where you wished as it would just be put back on your credit card if you didn't use it onboard ;).

It might make more sense if we knew what type of cabin (i.e. - Suite -reg or mini, Concierge Class, Aqua, regular veranda, oceanview, etc) went along with the OBC amounts.

For example, it makes sense to see $700 in OBC for a Suite, but it would be a HUGE amount for an oceanview cabin.

I agree, that would help keep things in perspective.

The $750 OBC I quoted above is for a 7 night A2 that I booked onboard. The breakdown is $300 for the all-inclusive deal going on now, $250 for booking an Aqua Class cabin on board, and $200 from the TA.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

$850 on a 14 day, albeit with Azamara. To this day I've never figured it out but we really enjoyed it.

we got around 850 on azamara as well for a 7 night med cruise ... we have no idea where the $$$ came from ... we were not expecting this much ... we were upgraded to a suite too .. we thought for sure the plane would crash on the way home after all that good fortune :)