Main dining room unlimited food?

I think it's fun when I get paired at a table with passengers who make it a personal challenge to see how much they can eat, thought I've never seen anybody eat 4 melting cakes (though my aunt could probably do it as much as she loves sweets).

I always order several things too, the menus sometimes look so good that it's hard to decide so I'll get both. I especially like to do this on lobster night because it's fun to make my own "surf and turf" by ordering the steak entree with a lobster tail on the side. Perfect! And I almost always get my dessert a la mode and ask for a nice big scoop of ice cream on top.

It also amazes me how many fellow passengers don't know that you can indeed order as much as you want in the dining room. So yes, you can order all you want. I think it's a great way to try out new or unusual dishes too.

I have in the past ordered a couple of Entrees along with the appetizers, etc. Now I am realizing that more is just more. And the only thing I do now is one Entree (with an appetizer and a soup.) Although I do require Surf and Turf on Elegant Night. And ask for it as such, and the waiter knows exactly what to bring. But in reality, the Caribbean Lobster is not as good as the Maine Lobsters.

Several nights on our cruises my husband had trouble deciding and ordered two entrees. We always asked for an extra scoop or two of vanilla ice cream if our dessert came with it. I always ordered fruit so if another appetizer sounded good, I got that as well. There is enough food to fill you but not so much that if you order an extra are you necessarily uncomfortably stuffed.

Kathy-Central Indiana

Mom to four (2girls-17&13), (2boys-14&11)

Carnival Liberty (Southern) 4/2015)

Carnival Conquest (11/13) Repositioning

Carnival Liberty (4/13) Eastern

Carnival Destiny (6/04) Southern

One year we asked our waiter what the most lobster tails he had ever brought to a single passenger was. He said the previous month he brought SEVENTEEN lobster tails to the same passenger!

So yup, if you so desire, you can truly order as much as you could ever want, and thensome.

Seventeen lobster tails??? I was sort of embarrassed when my fiance ordered three lobsters tails plus the steak :D Guess it won't bother me so much next time!!

Last cruise I made a meal out of the starters. I had the salad, then strawberry bisque, then the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil as the main course

I LOVE that night! There is one other app I like on that same night's menu too. Not remembering what. The caprese goes awesome with the bread too. Luckily on the menu with those appetizers there isn't an entree that interests me at all, so apps for dinner is great.

A relative always orders a "dessert sampler." I.e. one of each. :cool:

Hi Delaney :)

I typically order 3 to 4 lobster tails when sailing. The common size of lobster

tails in the main dining room on most cruise lines is only 3.5 to 4oz. They

are teenie tiny.

In specialty restaurants or steakhouses on most cruise ships lobster tail

sizes are usually between 9 to 11oz.

But yes, as other members have stated, you can order as much as you

wish in the main dining room.

Bon Appétit!

:)

On one of our cruises, our son ordered two entrees the first two nights. On the third night, he ordered one entree and the waiter said "And for your second entree?" As another poster mentioned, many people will order surf and turf which is actually two separate entrees.

Edited by RWolver672

Someone had mentioned that you can order as many plates of whatever is offered as you want. This is a secret cruising tip according to them. Any truth to this? I have a hard time believing I can order like 3 lobster tails.....

I haven't read all of the responses but yes, in the MDR you may order as much as you want of any appetizer, entree' or desert.

Its true. We had a dude order over 9 lobster tails next to us lol. I was embarrassed for him. He was a HUGE dude so I wasnt surprised he could put that many away and still have room for 4 melting cakes.

Holy Cow!:eek:

Or should that be - Holy Crustaceans!:eek::eek:

THIS, This, this - every night.

Goes great with a bottle of port while relaxing on the balcony once the kids go to sleep!

Not a glass of port - a bottle.:eek:

UncleInci I want to cruise with you!:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

on one of my cruises a table mate loved shrimp, scallops, and lobster and couldn't wait for lobster night. the head waiter would have a sauteed shrimp and scallop meal made every night for him. on lobster night he was like a kid in a candy store and ate 8 tails. the only time they told him no was when he asked if he could get one more to take back to his cabin. they said it wasn't allowed but he could have as many as he wanted inside the dinning room. i can't remember exactly where he was from but remember it was somewhere in Canada. and he said it was very hard for him to get lobster and shrimp there.

I usually get 2 lobster tails, hubby gets 4. Although our first cruise he ordered 6!

We normally get 3 escargot appetizers!

I only wish when we order two or three of something like the lobster they wouldn't have to bring everything else that goes with it since that typically goes to waste.

Someone had mentioned that you can order as many plates of whatever is offered as you want. This is a secret cruising tip according to them. Any truth to this? I have a hard time believing I can order like 3 lobster tails.....

I've had 4 before. At the insistence of my waiter. :)

On one of our cruises, our son ordered two entrees the first two nights. On the third night, he ordered one entree and the waiter said "And for your second entree?" As another poster mentioned, many people will order surf and turf which is actually two separate entrees.

By the third night of our last 7 night cruise, they didn't even ask my son what he wanted. They would always bring him 2 Cesar salads, 2 flat iron steaks, and two huge bowls of ice cream. He LOVED it!! :)

Last cruise I made a meal out of the starters. I had the salad, then strawberry bisque, then the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil as the main course

I like to do this, too. DH and I start with the cheese plate (dessert menu) every night. It kinda fills me up so then I order an appetizer or two and dessert (WCMC). Except, of course, on lobster night!

on one of my cruises a table mate loved shrimp, scallops, and lobster and couldn't wait for lobster night. the head waiter would have a sauteed shrimp and scallop meal made every night for him. on lobster night he was like a kid in a candy store and ate 8 tails. the only time they told him no was when he asked if he could get one more to take back to his cabin. they said it wasn't allowed but he could have as many as he wanted inside the dinning room. i can't remember exactly where he was from but remember it was somewhere in Canada. and he said it was very hard for him to get lobster and shrimp there.

Wasn't Canadian then we have seen shrimp and lobster everywhere

It's not a secret anymore. The waiters themselves suggest bringing extra dishes. Once my wife couldn't stomach a particular dish she tried and our attentive waitress noticed it (bless her), recommended an alternative and replaced the dish.

Lobster night, the chefs, waiters and indeed all of Carnival knows that guests will order more.

Only one caveat though; no matter how many you request, they will bring individual plates. Meaning each plate has two tails (IIRC) and you can only order in multiples of the plates, not individual servings.

One plate, one tail, cut in half. :)