Explorer MDR Dress Policy

Whitnee1

Just returned from the Explorer repo cruise and to say I am disgusted with the lack of enforcement of the dress code in the dining room would be an understatement. There is a clear posted policy that prohibits shorts and tee shirts in the MDR yet every night guests were allowed to enter with them. After seeing this I asked one of the people seating guests why they were allowed and was given this answer:

“We advise them of it and they respond that they did not pack any long pants”. To which my answer was “oh well that is what the Windjammer is for”. To which their next response was “most of them are Diamond and Diamond Plus”. To which I responded “Really I knew there were benefits to achieving that level but was not aware that included their own separate rules”.

Now before the flaming starts I am sure that not all Diamond and Diamond plus are guilty of this. That being said, these people showed up with dress that would have been prohibited on almost every golf course and I am sure they would never consider dressing that way at a finer restaurant at home. What makes them think it is OK to do it on the ship?

The situation became even more infuriating when I was turned away at the MDR for lunch with a sleeveless shirt. I went back and got a tee shirt and asked the girl who turned me away why I was not permitted when every night others are permitted to enter the dining room for dinner in violation of the posted policy? I was referred to her supervisor who answered the same question with the following: “That is a decision made at a higher level although I do agree with you”.

Really?? Royal Caribbean if you have a policy, that you do not enforce, then why bother even posting it? Especially when it is not enforced equally. And this does not even address the dress on formal nights when there were still jeans, ripped jeans, shorts, tee shirts, and no jackets or ties. If you want to have a policy then enforce it or go the way of NCL. Even they turn away people with shorts that are prohibited from certain dining rooms. Shame on the guests who ignore the policy but more shame on the cruise staff for failing to enforce it.

Ladies are allowed to wear tank tops and sleeveless tops, but men are not because of their underarm area (trying to be as gentle as possible :) )! This is the policy on all RCI ships.

I can ignore those that wear jeans, shorts, flip flops or even ball caps. I can not ignore hairy armpits being exposed by a sleeveless shirt or tank top.

Edited by cruisenfever

Just returned from the Explorer repo cruise and to say I am disgusted with the lack of enforcement of the dress code in the dining room would be an understatement. There is a clear posted policy that prohibits shorts and tee shirts in the MDR yet every night guests were allowed to enter with them. After seeing this I asked one of the people seating guests why they were allowed and was given this answer:

“We advise them of it and they respond that they did not pack any long pants”. To which my answer was “oh well that is what the Windjammer is for”. To which their next response was “most of them are Diamond and Diamond Plus”. To which I responded “Really I knew there were benefits to achieving that level but was not aware that included their own separate rules”.

Now before the flaming starts I am sure that not all Diamond and Diamond plus are guilty of this. That being said, these people showed up with dress that would have been prohibited on almost every golf course and I am sure they would never consider dressing that way at a finer restaurant at home. What makes them think it is OK to do it on the ship?

The situation became even more infuriating when I was turned away at the MDR for lunch with a sleeveless shirt. I went back and got a tee shirt and asked the girl who turned me away why I was not permitted when every night others are permitted to enter the dining room for dinner in violation of the posted policy? I was referred to her supervisor who answered the same question with the following: “That is a decision made at a higher level although I do agree with you”.

Really?? Royal Caribbean if you have a policy, that you do not enforce, then why bother even posting it? Especially when it is not enforced equally. And this does not even address the dress on formal nights when there were still jeans, ripped jeans, shorts, tee shirts, and no jackets or ties. If you want to have a policy then enforce it or go the way of NCL. Even they turn away people with shorts that are prohibited from certain dining rooms. Shame on the guests who ignore the policy but more shame on the cruise staff for failing to enforce it.

I am old school and like a more traditional standard of dress. I am not a fan of shorts for dinner. I have a different interpretation of "casual" than others. What some wear for casual dinner - I wear to wash the car.

I understand that the crusieline has relaxed the dress standards and I accept it or sail another line. In my opinion the dress standard and the price reductions have a direct relationship, both are falling. For better or worse, RCCL cruising is mass market or below, so many who might not have sailed in the past now have an opportunity. While I can't imagine not packing a pair of slacks for any dinner, especially on a cruise, there is a certain element who really doesn't care. It isn't pure economics as folks are obviously putting their money in body art rather than a sport jacket.

However - I would be really surprised if any staff is so astute to know by glancing at a person what their particular C&A status was. Even if they did, I find it strange that they would single out and remark about a particular group. Moreover, the times I am in the Diamond lounge prior to dinner I rarely see anyone in shorts.

just my 2 cents!

M

I was on this cruise with you and can't say I saw any of this in our area of the MDR we were at. Everyone was always immaculately dressed (and we ate here every night). Dressing up every evening is one of the things we enjoy about cruising!

I did hear of several men being asked to put on t-shirts for breakfast & lunch for the reason the person above mentioned.

I was about to post exactly what Jenn wrote directly above.

In my LIVE thread, which I haven't finished ;), I intend to write that, unlike other recent cruises, I was pleasantly surprised at the appropriate dressing by just about everyone every night in the MDR.

Amazing how different people on the same cruise can have *such* a different experience.

;)

I understand the reason for the sleeves for lunch and dinner and can't say I disagree with it. What I do disagree with the way they choose to enforce their own posted guidelines. It really isn't fair for a person to arbitrarily decide that a sleeveless shirt is not OK while shorts, tee shirts, and baseball caps at dinner are when both are against the posted policy.

I am just off the repo too. One night I saw a old guy leave the dining room with shorts, a baseball shirt with Jeatter on the back & big clunky sneakers. His wife was dressed fine. I think they let him pass due to his age but I did mention his appearance to my husband. A few couples were dresssed to the nines every single night much to the delight of the passengers. All manner of dress was on this cruise. Everybody seemed to do thier own this dresswise. I just think that since there we so many old pro's that the need to dress up was long past. My husband left his Tux home & the last formal night did not wear a tie. This was an unusual cruise due to the amount of diamonds, pluses & pinnacles. I found most people dressed very nicely but not all done up like shorter cruises due the 14 days & airline weight restrictions. The older dressed up couple that was the talk of the ship had ten large bags that could barely fit on the porters cart. Now that was unusual!

It is what it is, and isn't going to change. It would be better to not let others choices affect your emotions and stress level so much.......

In my LIVE thread, which I haven't finished ;), I intend to write that, unlike other recent cruises, I was pleasantly surprised at the appropriate dressing by just about everyone every night in the MDR.

Amazing how different people on the same cruise can have *such* a different experience.

;)

Perhaps we had different dining rooms or times but in the MTD room shorts and tee shirts were present every night.

It is what it is, and isn't going to change. It would be better to not let others choices affect your emotions and stress level so much.......

With that attitude then RC will quickly become a Carnival or NCL atmosphere. If that is what they want then simply drop the policy but you miss my point. Why have a policy and then not enforce it???

Life isn't fair, you broke a rule and you were asked to comply. Some people get caught, others don't. Just like bringing water on board, that is against corporate policy too, yet people do it.

Write corporate and complain about the ones who were not asked to change but you also chose not to follow policy.

Write corporate and complain about the ones who were not asked to change but you also chose not to follow policy.

When informed of the policy regarding their shirt OP said they changed clothes. That's not the same as someone ignoring a policy. Isn't that the definition of compliance actually? :confused:

I agree with OP, why have a policy if enforcement isn't even. Whether you totally agree with a policy or not is irrelevant. Uneven enforcement is just a good way to tick people off. Change the policy to reflect current trends and guest desires (this is a hospitality industry after all) and remove burdening the staff with half-heartedly trying to enforce the current policy.

When informed of the policy regarding their shirt OP said they changed clothes. That's not the same as someone ignoring a policy. Isn't that the definition of compliance actually? :confused:

I agree with OP, why have a policy if enforcement isn't even. Whether you totally agree with a policy or not is irrelevant. Uneven enforcement is just a good way to tick people off. Change the policy to reflect current trends and guest desires (this is a hospitality industry after all) and remove burdening the staff with half-heartedly trying to enforce the current policy.

Could not have said it better.

With that attitude then RC will quickly become a Carnival or NCL atmosphere. If that is what they want then simply drop the policy but you miss my point. Why have a policy and then not enforce it???

Not an attitude, reality. I didn't miss your point one bit, simply reminded you people will continue to wear what they want so why let elevate your stress level?:rolleyes:

People have been complaining about "Dress Code Violations" here for YEARS yet the t-shirts and ball caps keep showing up :) What people wear to dinner isn't going to affect my vacation enjoyment in any way. I won't let someone else's choice of clothing impact my trip :)

I don't wear shorts to dinner, but also haven't packed suits or ties for several years.!

Edited by bouhunter

;)

Nice to hear. A repositioning cruise would have so many seasoned cruisers I would actually expect appropriate address.

M

Ladies are allowed to wear tank tops and sleeveless tops, but men are not because of their underarm area (trying to be as gentle as possible :) )! This is the policy on all RCI ships.

I can ignore those that wear jeans, shorts, flip flops or even ball caps. I can not ignore hairy armpits being exposed by a sleeveless shirt or tank top.

So if a man shaves his arm pits he then should be able to wear a tank top or sleeveless shirt to the MDR for breakfast or lunch.

RC already has the same atmosphere as Carnival & NCL . I know RCL loyalists want to pretend otherwise but the truth is they are more similar than different .

On recent Navigator cruise, talking with Maitre D' He commented that most of his staff do not enforce the dress code to protect themselves. Seems when they turn someone away, a nasty e-mail gets sent to Miami about the rude and mean Dining Room staff. This is a black mark on them, so to avoid a negative comment in their personnel file, they do not enforce the dress code.

His comment makes sense.

On recent Navigator cruise, talking with Maitre D' He commented that most of his staff do not enforce the dress code to protect themselves. Seems when they turn someone away, a nasty e-mail gets sent to Miami about the rude and mean Dining Room staff. This is a black mark on them, so to avoid a negative comment in their personnel file, they do not enforce the dress code.

His comment makes sense.

Makes sense to me too. They really don't like to be confrontational. However, if they are not going to enforce anything, then they should not post any rules either.