Explorer MDR Dress Policy

Whitnee1

I think the rule of vacationing these days is to ignore the behavior of all others where possible, unless that behavior directly impacts you/your family in a significant way.

On a cruise this means I could care less about other people do, with the exception of chair hogging when the Solarium is full. I refuse to let people's clothes bother me at dinner, it just isn't worth it.

I understand what you are saying, and agree that Royal should enforce those rules it does have, which includes chair hogging. If you don't want to enforce them, make them a suggestion instead.

We just got off the Brilliance . On the first night we went to the dining room in our boarding clothes . My husband had on a nice shirt & gasp shorts .A few women at the next table almost got the vapers when he stood up .

The first night has always had an exemption as some folks will not have received their luggage

It is a interesting topic since we notice that rules are followed differently depending on what port we are cruising out of and what the make up of location that passengers are from. We made the bad choice of going on Splendor of the Seas for our parents 50th anniversary during spring break, things were out of control with the large amount of kids that went unchecked by parents.

The crew seemed unable to enforce any control, curfew or area designated to adults only... Kids would be horse playing at 2am in the hallway and we would call security with no one ever showing up to check. So mental note to self, no more cruises the week of spring break for us! We are pushing the limits and going on a cruise in June out of Galveston since our closet friends booked a cruise to take three grandsons graduating from High School. I can foresee much time for me being spent in the diamond lounge.

Also people from various areas of the USA don't seem embrace the rules posted. They are going to do what they want regardless of how they make other people feel. Not naming from what areas but I think you can figure that out on your own. Just saying...

:)

We are enjoying each other's company at dinner. I wouldn't even notice if someone was dressed too casual and if I did it certainly wouldn't change my enjoyment of that meal. Focus on what matters the pleasure of a meal with people you care about. (Only thing that has ever disturbed our meal was unruly kids)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

#firstworldproblems

Absolutely. While we have gotten more casual on formal nights over the last 10 years, for us that means no tuxes for guys and dress shirt, tie etc instead. We have 3 teen boys and they like dressing up like that every now and then. DH and I like getting dressed up for formal nights, but that's fun for us because we don't get dressed up every day. If we wore suits every day I would probably feel differently

But if someone doesn't dress up it doesn't affect us. Well, depending on how casual they are they might be discussed for 30 seconds, but it's their vacation, their money they spent, their choice. I think there are still other cruise lines that are more strict but RC is not, we all know it, so if we choose RC the we have to accept their policies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cindivan

It's posted in the daily compass. It's also posted on a sign at the entrance to the dining room - if you feel inclined to search (and I wouldn't blame you if you don't) some of the dress code threads have included pictures people have taken of the sign.

If I take a picture of the sign, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, do I get a prize?

Maybe it is just me, I really love food. I think all day about what I am going to have for dinner. When I sit down in the MDR, I look the menu and think "Ok" (as in bring me everything). I really do not notice what anyone else is wearing, and I do not get how it affects so many people so often.

Back to the OP, if shorts get me turned away from a golf course, I will wear shorts every day for the rest of my life. I hate golf, but I do follow all golfing fashion tips

hqdefault.jpg

If I take a picture of the sign, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, do I get a prize?

Maybe it is just me, I really love food. I think all day about what I am going to have for dinner. When I sit down in the MDR, I look the menu and think "Ok" (as in bring me everything). I really do not notice what anyone else is wearing, and I do not get how it affects so many people so often.

Back to the OP, if shorts get me turned away from a golf course, I will wear shorts every day for the rest of my life. I hate golf, but I do follow all golfing fashion tips

hqdefault.jpg

I simply gave a factual answer to the question that was posed. Your reply speaks volumes about you.

I simply gave a factual answer to the question that was posed. Your reply speaks volumes about you.

My reply was not directed as a bash at you, I am sorry if it appeared that way. Maybe a LOL or an emoticon would have helped, just making a silly joke.

I actually did not know there were signs outside the MDR on Royal, as I am new to Royal. I will look when I am onboard in a few months. I am pretty sure there were not signs on the other few lines I have been on.

I was honestly more bashing the OP. If what I am wearing will get me turned away at a golf course, sign me up!

As far as rules for the shorts... where is that posted for the average Joe to see? The only reason I know about it is because of the endless threads from people who put way too much effort into judging everyone else and not enjoying their own meal. Guidelines are useful to help people make decisions about what to wear. But if I were RCCL staff I would "pick my battles" with passengers and this surely would not be one of them.

It's also posted on the Royal Caribbean Website under FAQ section and "What to Pack" Section in "What to know before you board." Here are the links:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255

As far as rules for the shorts... where is that posted for the average Joe to see? The only reason I know about it is because of the endless threads from people who put way too much effort into judging everyone else and not enjoying their own meal. Guidelines are useful to help people make decisions about what to wear. But if I were RCCL staff I would "pick my battles" with passengers and this surely would not be one of them.

Well, let's see...

The prohibition against shorts for dinner is posted on the website.

It's posted on signs at the entrance to the MDR.

It's published in the Cruise Compass every day.

Where else would you want it to be?

I was on Navigator last April and was shocked that RCCL had just stopped enforcing any dress codes for dinner, 90percent dressed fine, others looked like they were heading to McDonalds for dinner, I am diamond and most of the people in diamond lounge were dressed per dress code at least on my cruise. In past on almost every cruise line including RCCL if people didn't want to dress they had dinner in windjammer buffet

As you can see we have been on the explorer 8 times when it was in NJ we started cruising back in 09 we always flowed the dress code. But through the years we seen it all and no the way people dressed never effected my cruise although we did 1 carnival cruise and it was nice to go to dinner in a pair of shorts and a nice polo shirt. The only time something should be said is on formal nite in my opinion but seen ratty dress on those nites too.

Well, let's see...

They could print it on the paper napkins that they give you when you get a drink at the bar.

They could print it on the free souvenir cups that they give out.

They could have it flash as a message on the big screens that they are installing.

They could sear it into the steaks that they serve.

They could write it on some of the shirts that they sell in the ship's store.

Well, let's see...

Now if the staff would read it and enforce it then the it would mean something.

You mean that sign that EVERYONE walks past, reads yet some feel doesnt apply to them? :D

Seriously, this pic is from Explorer and one I found on the internet but i have seen one on every ship Ive been on.

245f8a7b1a1847fc2b2de57d0fb8e2da.jpg

I always had an issue how some people dress. Shorts and tee's should be turned away at the door....period. If you cant put on a pair of Dockers and a golf shirt for 1-2 hours a night, then eat someplace else. OR change the rules to wear whatever you want cuz we dont care what you look like when you come to the MDR... Suggested is a nice way of saying, please wear somethings decent people.... some people cant read between the lines, or take advantage of it.

ENFORCE IT or DITCH IT

I always had an issue how some people dress. Shorts and tee's should be turned away at the door....period. If you cant put on a pair of Dockers and a golf shirt for 1-2 hours a night, then eat someplace else. OR change the rules to wear whatever you want cuz we dont care what you look like when you come to the MDR... Suggested is a nice way of saying, please wear somethings decent people.... some people cant read between the lines, or take advantage of it.

ENFORCE IT or DITCH IT

We have a BINGO!!

glad I work 50 hours a week as a nurse and can only take vacation once a year rather than deal with this nonsense. I am so happy to be able to get away from work and stress at home, I honestly could care less what people are wearing in the MDR. Maybe it is because I am only a gold card member and don't cruise 60 times a year that this stuff really does not affect me. The conversation at the table with my husband and children are more important to me than some person at another table wearing shorts. I was on that repositioning cruise and I really could have cared less what people were wearing. I only noticed "the couple" because I loved their outfits. My 14y old son didn't want to get dressed for formal night because I told him he had to wear a long sleeved shirt, pants... and he opted out and went to windjammer. The waiter actually had something sent to the room and told us that it was more important for him to come with us to enjoy himself rather than worry about a dress code for one night. That to me is what a cruise is about. Enjoying yourself in places you may never see again and being with friends and family. NOT looking around to see if rules are enforced. I am sure that a lot of the complainers had no problems with the hogging of chairs in the solarium. Now that did annoy me but did I complain? Nope. Just went to sit elsewhere.

You miss the point. They should not have a policy that they have no intention of enforcing. It is not fair to those who adhere to the policy. This holds true for the dress or chair hogs. If they don't want to enforce it then drop it and open it up to whatever people want to do.

glad I work 50 hours a week as a nurse and can only take vacation once a year rather than deal with this nonsense. I am so happy to be able to get away from work and stress at home, I honestly could care less what people are wearing in the MDR. Maybe it is because I am only a gold card member and don't cruise 60 times a year that this stuff really does not affect me. The conversation at the table with my husband and children are more important to me than some person at another table wearing shorts. I was on that repositioning cruise and I really could have cared less what people were wearing. I only noticed "the couple" because I loved their outfits. My 14y old son didn't want to get dressed for formal night because I told him he had to wear a long sleeved shirt, pants... and he opted out and went to windjammer. The waiter actually had something sent to the room and told us that it was more important for him to come with us to enjoy himself rather than worry about a dress code for one night. That to me is what a cruise is about. Enjoying yourself in places you may never see again and being with friends and family. NOT looking around to see if rules are enforced. I am sure that a lot of the complainers had no problems with the hogging of chairs in the solarium. Now that did annoy me but did I complain? Nope. Just went to sit elsewhere.

Totally agree with you!!!

There is no dress code to enforce, the "suggestions" are just that - suggestions - and not a dress code that can be enforced since it is a suggestion. I guess they could enforce the no shorts, tank tops, flip flops rule since it is actually stated but like you, I could really care less if people showed up in shorts or tank tops, even on formal night, as long as they don't come and sit on top of my table or on my lap.

I have never had an issue with how some people dress.;)

"On how SOME people dress".... pardon me. I have a hard time with it when I see someone in the MDR with a Metallica tee shirt on. Hey I love Metallica too, but there is a time and a place for that. I just dont understand why some people would walk in, see the waiters wearing a tie and a vest and be cool sitting down with Board Shorts and a tee shirt on.

Again, if this is acceptable, change the rules so nobody can complain anymore.

Totally agree with you!!!

There is no dress code to enforce, the "suggestions" are just that - suggestions - and not a dress code that can be enforced since it is a suggestion. I guess they could enforce the no shorts, tank tops, flip flops rule since it is actually stated but like you, I could really care less if people showed up in shorts or tank tops, even on formal night, as long as they don't come and sit on top of my table or on my lap.

It has been documented on here with the sign outside the door with the items that are prohibited. That would not be a suggestion.