OMG NCL price increase?????

cmdchiefthom

Seems to me like the new promotions that offer higher OBC have also had the price of the cruise rise as well. So in reality we are paying for our OBC in the higher fare. I personally prefer a cheaper PP fare and lower OBC, but that is just me....

You may have been a day late and a dollar short.

Booked the same cruise a week ago this past Sunday. Got balcony upgrade and 10% OBC.

When I looked at the cruise five days later, it had gone up $1240.00.

I think the comparable fare to what we paid was for the engine room.

Seems to me like the new promotions that offer higher OBC have also had the price of the cruise rise as well. So in reality we are paying for our OBC in the higher fare. I personally prefer a cheaper PP fare and lower OBC, but that is just me....

Seems like it. The key to me not going NCL this year was the lack of longer Caribe cruises in Nov, Dec.

With X's beverage package promo, they made sense 11 days, free drink package. Net cost was cheaper.

Sorry to interrupt this panic session.

Booking non-suites in advance for common itineraries is a HUGE mistake.

That's why some of you are getting gouged.

Let's take a look at the Dawn out of New Orleans (Western Caribbean):

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/new-orleans-louisiana?embarkationport=4294908685

For all but the Christmas cruise (always expensive), the rates are at bargain levels -- as low as $229/PP (that's less than $30 over NCF+taxes, for those keeping score at home).

You would be best off reading this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2115592

Note that the above thread does not apply to Panama Canal cruises or many European itineraries.

Edited by pokerpro5

Why doesn't it apply Panama cruise? Two months ago, NCL discounted a 13 days Panama cruise sailing Nov/14 to just $499 ($38/day) for inside cabin. That's a smoking deal and I would have jumped at it had I been able to get time off from work.

Why doesn't it apply Panama cruise? Two months ago, NCL discounted a 13 days Panama cruise sailing Nov/14 to just $499 ($38/day) for inside cabin. That's a smoking deal and I would have jumped at it had I been able to get time off from work.

Okay, I should have said it CAN apply to Panama, but you have to be willing to gamble on it. Sometimes those Panama cruises sell out early and people who wait 'til the last minute get shut out.

My thread was more geared toward those going to Alaska or (especially) the Caribbean, as those almost always go down dramatically in the 14-55 day range.

• 1 year later...

I have been notcing the suites prices are increasing at a ridiculous rate. A norwegian cruise on breakaway in Apr 2016 I was monitoring just jumped $360 in 2 weeks so Ill be going on RCL for 20% cheaper

This is very interesting, I went to one of the sites that track cruise prices and found out that the OP was probably looking at the very peak in the price of an SE suite. Here is what I found on an SE cabin for the 4/4/16 Pearl sailing

The cruises were announced on 4/17/14 at 3,549.00

7/15 $3,659

9/24 $4.029

10/1 $4,149

11/11 $5,519 OUCH

2/5 $5,289

4/2 $2,999 This was the 2 mo. window of the best buy

6/10 $3,199

6/12 $3,299

12/29 $3,619

Since this is a suite, they get all the promotions - is there a correlation between the promotions and the ups and downs of the price - I don't know.

and your point?

Usually when something is this old one would just start a new thread, rather than resurrect a two year old thread from the dead.

However, happy to see your first two posts are letting everyone know you'll be cruising with another line :D

Harriet

• 1 year later...

I noticed the major price hike took pace shortly after Kevin Sheehan left.... after seeing other cruise lines adopt the drink packages, it is no longer necessary for me to stick with NCL.... the only line I have ever been on.... this year will be our last on NCL unless they change their ways.... RCL, Holland America, and others have better pricing and according to the reviews... similar or very close ships and service.... sorry NCL... but you have priced yourselves out of my business.

This is very interesting, I went to one of the sites that track cruise prices and found out that the OP was probably looking at the very peak in the price of an SE suite. Here is what I found on an SE cabin for the 4/4/16 Pearl sailing

The cruises were announced on 4/17/14 at 3,549.00

7/15 $3,659

9/24 $4.029

10/1 $4,149

11/11 $5,519 OUCH

2/5 $5,289

4/2 $2,999 This was the 2 mo. window of the best buy

6/10 $3,199

6/12 $3,299

12/29 $3,619

Since this is a suite, they get all the promotions - is there a correlation between the promotions and the ups and downs of the price - I don't know.

I would like to know, what website do you use to track prices?

I would like to know, what website do you use to track prices?

First of all - I am pretty certain you know that this is a thread from 2014...? ;)

But since you had a specific question, and since the post that you quoted is from January 2016 and you might not get a respond to your question, I'll try to help you::)

I am certain there are other sources out there for tracking prices on cruises that you could find without too much trouble just by googling it, but there is actually a price tracking page here on CruiseCritic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop/

• 2 months later...

I Just Book A Royal for the first time.. Have done 17 NCL's Cruises In A Row. But The Day Has come i do believe with NCL Until there price goes back to a "Reasonable Price, Like $250.00 To $400.00 PP Less Than where they are now. The New Guy Is Going to be the downfall Of NCL.. SoSo Sad..

Since we do the same cruise each year, same ship, same category, it is easy to compare year to year rates. The big big thing this year has been the removal of included perks in suites. Removing the all inclusive option of promos in June, was another way NCL is pushing the patience of loyal cruisers, IMHO.

Constant raising the DSC every few months is also a thing NCL seems to like, just to see how much pain we will take.:mad:

Since we do the same cruise each year, same ship, same category, it is easy to compare year to year rates. The big big thing this year has been the removal of included perks in suites. Removing the all inclusive option of promos in June, was another way NCL is pushing the patience of loyal cruisers, IMHO.

Constant raising the DSC every few months is also a thing NCL seems to like, just to see how much pain we will take.:mad:

What suite perks have been removed?

Sincerely asking.

You have to pay the 18% gratuities for SDP/UDP just like other cabin classes, where before this cost was included for suites.

Yes, exactly. the Suites used to include UDP for each night of cruise if there was no Haven Restaurant on ship.

You have to pay the 18% gratuities for SDP/UDP just like other cabin classes, where before this cost was included for suites.

Unfortunately it's a financial/business decision that many corporations are doing now, cruiselines included.

With that being said NCL still has good pricing compared to other lines , being Drinks/Specialty Dining are included.

Once I use up my cruise next certs I've decided to use princess for my 2019 Med cruise

Yes they are not cheap but we did princess in the Med previously and they have great itins and good long port times

Ncl has too short port times for my liking

It's a no brainer for us since ncl will be costly and not deliver what we want why should I book them?

We like princess...and the cost is non issue compared to ncl

Now...had ncl kept their prices lower I would consider them again

But why should I if they are costly?

I might as well get more if I have to pay more. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once I use up my cruise next certs I've decided to use princess for my 2019 Med cruise

Yes they are not cheap but we did princess in the Med previously and they have great itins and good long port times

Ncl has too short port times for my liking

It's a no brainer for us since ncl will be costly and not deliver what we want why should I book them?

We like princess...and the cost is non issue compared to ncl

Now...had ncl kept their prices lower I would consider them again

But why should I if they are costly?

I might as well get more if I have to pay more. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

what certification are you trying to maintain?

Yes, exactly. the Suites used to include UDP for each night of cruise if there was no Haven Restaurant on ship.

I have only sailed in suites and never in the haven, and only once was that ever offered. Can you tell me when this was. I must have missed it. My sis has been sailing with NCL in suites for over 12 years and she said that this is not true. All of the ships I have sailed on had no Haven restaurants.