Misquoted - not happy bunny!

ladylemondrop

I called Celebrity to get a quote for a cruise on sunday (direct, in UK).

We are five people 2 adults and three teens - all over 12.

The young lady gave me a quote for two connecting cabins, as the family cabins were all booked out. It was a reasonable quote so I said yes please, (extra bathroom handy) she couldnt confirm it due to system maintenance and said she would call me back in the morning.

Yesterday she called me back, and said the price she had given me was incorrect, (£1700 incorrect) as she had accidentally priced the kids at 3rd 4th rate instead of full fare. But, she said, a family cabin has opened up would you like that? I said Yes please! No problemo, she said she would book it, and call me back.

She called me back - sorry but the family cabin got booked while we were on the phone, the best I can offer is two cabins, near each other, still £1700 more than originally quoted.

I was not happy and asked for her manager to call me back - I am still waiting....

What would you say to this? Poor girl was so nice I didnt want to be mad at her but really frustrated at this.

I called Celebrity to get a quote for a cruise on sunday (direct, in UK).

We are five people 2 adults and three teens - all over 12.

The young lady gave me a quote for two connecting cabins, as the family cabins were all booked out. It was a reasonable quote so I said yes please, (extra bathroom handy) she couldnt confirm it due to system maintenance and said she would call me back in the morning.

Yesterday she called me back, and said the price she had given me was incorrect, (£1700 incorrect) as she had accidentally priced the kids at 3rd 4th rate instead of full fare. But, she said, a family cabin has opened up would you like that? I said Yes please! No problemo, she said she would book it, and call me back.

She called me back - sorry but the family cabin got booked while we were on the phone, the best I can offer is two cabins, near each other, still £1700 more than originally quoted.

I was not happy and asked for her manager to call me back - I am still waiting....

What would you say to this? Poor girl was so nice I didnt want to be mad at her but really frustrated at this.

Good luck with that, I have called celebrity 3 times and never had a call back as promised.

I find the call centre staff to miss-informed at times or maybe not well trained in pricing etc.

I doubt that you hear anything now, if they miss-quoted you there is no way that they will honour that miss-quote.

Edited by jveevers

Are you aware you can hold website quotes for 24 hours, which gives time to think it through and to check prices with TA's? Your experience is unfortunate, but not surprising....nothing in writing, nothing to challenge, I am afraid.

Hope it works out, and you are able to cruise, always a fantastic holiday for teens....you do realise Celebrity may be a little bit "staid" for the teens compared to a line like RCI?

Are you aware you can hold website quotes for 24 hours, which gives time to think it through and to check prices with TA's? Your experience is unfortunate, but not surprising....nothing in writing, nothing to challenge, I am afraid.

Hope it works out, and you are able to cruise, always a fantastic holiday for teens....you do realise Celebrity may be a little bit "staid" for the teens compared to a line like RCI?

Hi, yes, we usually do hold online, but you cannot for five people, also, their wesbite was down for maintenance at time, even the girl at Celebrity couldnt process it she just held it.

We have cruised several times on Celebrity - kids love it. But, they are happy to chill, read, and eat - same as us pretty much! We keep them entertained and active off the ship with shore excursions that are fun.

This is why we use a TA. When they look up a price in the X database it is usually accurate and the can put a 24 hour hold on it. As I m talking to my TA she is madly typing and putting a hold on a cabin so the price/availability doesn't go away while we are on the phone. I think the TAs have more motivation to get you a good deal since they work on commission.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe =X= records phone calls and if you can tell them date/time that you phoned, they may be able to pull up a record of your call with the original quote. Good luck.

Betsy

The Rep said the quote was incorrect and explained her error.

I wouldn't be too happy either, but she explained it was her error and apologized and tried to make it right. At least you didn't book and she came back a month later and said the price was wrong they needed to increase it!

If it was me, I'd call back, request to speak with her (if you cannot get her, then someone else higher up), calmly explained what it is you need for your family. Go over what you were originally quoted, see what Celebrity can do to set things right. They may not be able to do anything, but you can always ask. If the number they give you as a final quote is not to your liking and/or the cabin selection does not work for you, then you have a choice to book or not book at that point. At least allow them a chance to "make it right".

I'm sorry but what is there to "make right", it was an error that was caught before anything was booked. Is it something to try to take advantage of? I guess I just don't understand this kind of attitude. I can't imagine feeling good about doing something like that.

Edited by Ma Bell

I see a problem here with the two staterooms: Celebrity requires at least one person in a stateroom be at least 21 years of age. Unless one of the kids is over 21' date=', the parents will need to split up.[/quote']

Actually, the age requirement is waived for adjoining rooms (and some report also for rooms in close proximity... Ie an Inside Stateroom across the hall) as long as they originate in North America see this quote from Celebrity's FAQ Page

What is Celebrity's stateroom assignment age policy?

Celebrity’s minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). Celebrity Cruises retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America, no guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing. This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military. Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

[/Quote]

Not tho 100% sure if this applies to the OPs situation or not as they did not give enough details for the cruise they were considering

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks sloop, yes, I think we are ok as we are interconnected. Its a med cruise.

The conversation probably was recorded, but I dont want to start throwing my weight around, ultimately, we just want to make a booking, at a reasonable price, the original quote was upward of £6000 so adding a further £1700 just wasnt an option, especially as it was cruise only and we would need flights too.

Had a nice chat with a lady in UK office today, and we are trying to find a cheaper cabin grade, with cabins joining, its still going to cost more than we were originally quoted but hopefully we can get it sorted, and then waitlist for an FV.

If you book with the promo ie. Drinks etc, and then you change cabin, do you keep your perks?

Thanks sloop, yes, I think we are ok as we are interconnected. Its a med cruise.

The conversation probably was recorded, but I dont want to start throwing my weight around, ultimately, we just want to make a booking, at a reasonable price, the original quote was upward of £6000 so adding a further £1700 just wasnt an option, especially as it was cruise only and we would need flights too.

Had a nice chat with a lady in UK office today, and we are trying to find a cheaper cabin grade, with cabins joining, its still going to cost more than we were originally quoted but hopefully we can get it sorted, and then waitlist for an FV.

If you book with the promo ie. Drinks etc, and then you change cabin, do you keep your perks?

It is possible that if you book with perks and upgrade later that you will not be able to keep your perks. It all depends on what kind of rate is available at the time you upgrade.

It is possible that if you book with perks and upgrade later that you will not be able to keep your perks. It all depends on what kind of rate is available at the time you upgrade.

Thanks Ma! Will bear that in mind, I am on phone now to celebrity we have sorted it out, they have found me two cabins joined that is a bit more than quoted, but not thousands, they gave me a small OBC and we are happy bunny again!

I'm sorry but what is there to "make right", it was an error that was caught before anything was booked. Is it something to try to take advantage of? I guess I just don't understand this kind of attitude. I can't imagine feeling good about doing something like that.

Making the customer happy.

How unhappy would you be if you're about to make a major purchase and you're quoted one price, but you're about to purchase it and you're told they were wrong and you had to pay more now?

Be that as it may, Celebrity is working with them and they are trying "make it right" in a way that the customer is happy.

Thanks Ma! Will bear that in mind, I am on phone now to celebrity we have sorted it out, they have found me two cabins joined that is a bit more than quoted, but not thousands, they gave me a small OBC and we are happy bunny again!

Thanks for the update

Glad to hear you are a Happy Bunny again :D

Cheers!

Congratulations to you.

I must say that phoning up and getting all uppity on them was probably going to be a bad idea. I think you handled it correctly and got what you wanted. It's amazing how many people don't try to work with the company when a problem arises and instead go straight to being angry and what are you going to do for me?

Agree. Human error & we all make them.

We do indeed, which is why I did not want to be rude to them, look, we were misquoted for two Concierge cabins C2 grade, and have now paid more, by a few hundred pounds, for two 2A cabins, I am happy though as its all above board and we have our booking sorted! Would never just try to complain for the sake of it, we only got comped $100 dollars OBC, I just appreciaed the gesture.

We do indeed, which is why I did not want to be rude to them, look, we were misquoted for two Concierge cabins C2 grade, and have now paid more, by a few hundred pounds, for two 2A cabins, I am happy though as its all above board and we have our booking sorted! Would never just try to complain for the sake of it, we only got comped $100 dollars OBC, I just appreciaed the gesture.

Sounds like a good solution to the problem and you approached it the right way.

Making the customer happy.

How unhappy would you be if you're about to make a major purchase and you're quoted one price, but you're about to purchase it and you're told they were wrong and you had to pay more now?

Be that as it may, Celebrity is working with them and they are trying "make it right" in a way that the customer is happy.

How could I be unhappy if I knew it was the wrong price? Personally, I would think nothing about it and see if there was something available that was acceptable.

Congratulations. You have a great attitude and I hope to cruise with you someday. Classy IMO.