why would you go on the dream class ?

cblzaccie

So I just got off the Carnival Sunshine and I was checking out the next cruise, I looked at the Dream class of ships ( bigger) but when i checked the features they seemed to have LESS than the sunshine which is a smaller class ( destiny class??) BUT a lot more cabins. so this says many more people all trying to do the same stuff on board as on the smaller class = longer lines .

Am i missing something here please let me know

Look at space to passenger ratio. Although the Sunshine is smaller, it carries more passengers per ton compared to the Dream class. Remember that the Sunshine is actually an 18 year old ship that went through a major refit. Yes, some cool features were added, but public spaces were eliminated and more cabins were added. So the Sunshine in theory should feel considerably more crowded. In fact, it has now one of the absolute worst space to passenger ratios in the entire cruise industry. With that said, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't consider the Dream class. If anything, you may enjoy it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

So I just got off the Carnival Sunshine and I was checking out the next cruise, I looked at the Dream class of ships ( bigger) but when i checked the features they seemed to have LESS than the sunshine which is a smaller class ( destiny class??) BUT a lot more cabins. so this says many more people all trying to do the same stuff on board as on the smaller class = longer lines .

Am i missing something here please let me know

how was your cruise on sunshine? anything you couldn't do without? and how did your mesh network attempt go? anyhow, you always ask good questions...

dream class are the newest / biggest ships in the fleet, and for the most part have the best 'new features'... however, some of them came out subsequent to dream, magic and breeze...

sunshine is indeed destiny class - it used to be destiny... it got a major refurb while the others were built or being built (breeze) - so it actually came out with a few 'features' the dream class doesn't - like alchemy bar, or jiji (a new feature only on sunshine)...

what you may 'be missing' in part is even if the dream class ships don't have some of the 'branded' features that sunshine does - like alchemy bar or guys burgers - they typically have a 'not branded' feature in the same place - so a wine / martini bar, or the grill...

also as noted, sunshine does have some features not on the other ships so far (though i bet they will before too long) - i'd say though, that the new features unique to sunshine are to add other points of interest, given the fact they added a whole LOT of new cabins to an older, smaller ship.

sunshine has a lower passenger:space ratio because they got greedy and took space away from promenade deck 5 aft, added cabins... cut up the theater, and added cabins... added other cabins in places i wouldn't even think to... add cabins...

some of the other stuff, like the ropes course - well that came out on magic, and was included on breeze - they hadn't thought of that when dream came out so it doesn't have it...

since you seem to sail out of florida, i'd say your best bet would be the breeze... and i'd book that over sunshine any day. hope that helps :)

I was on Sunshine in March. Loved it.

Will be on Dream in a few weeks. Expect to love it, too.

As others have said, Destiny was renovated into Sunshine. Other ships have this or that but Sunshine is the ONLY ship (right now) to have everything on it.

If the only reason to sail is to go on the ship with the most options, you will be sailing Sunshine every trip until another ship with everything is built. We sail for a variety of reasons and itineraries so our options vary with our ships.

The Lanai on the Dream class is one of the best and most innovative features on Carnival ships to the point where other lines' new builds have similar outdoor promenades. It's rarely crowded has plenty of hot tubs for relaxing, and one side is always guaranteed to be in the shade.

I have been on the Sunshine and the Dream. While all the new features were cool on the Sunshine, it did feel more crowded....especially on Lido getting by the Iguana and Guys. I really didn't miss any 2.0 features on the Dream at all. Both are great ships though and I would be happy to do either one.

I like the open-ness of the Lido deck on the Dream class. Love the aft pool and that it's not boxed in with plexiglass walls like on the conquest class. I also like the Lido section. I hate the "Stadium" style like on the conquest class.

I also love the outdoor sections on deck 5. Outdoor tables under an overhang for shade or some for not. Drink service. One side is smoking, one side not. Just a very nice area. There are also hot tubs right there for playing in.

Cabins were just the same.

I was on the Dream so missed Guys and the Blue Iguana but not so much that I wouldn't cruise the Dream again. Breeze has it all though.

If there's a choice for me, I'll go with Dream class any day!

Love the Dream class, have been on the Breeze and the Dream, especially like the Cloud 9 spa cabins and of course the Cloud 9 Spa. Would not even consider the Sunshine as it has too many negative ratings and is the lowest customer rated Carnival ship and I believe it will continue to be the lowest rated...

We are sailing on Breeze in January and would do so way before being crowded onto the Sunshine. I don't think I will miss the alchemy bar that Sunshine has, although that is a big plus for Sunshine.

We sailed on Dream 6 times and if it we're still in Pt Canaveral, we would sail on her again. I know Dream doesn't have the Red Frog Pub, but not having been to one, we didn't miss it. I think Breeze has all the bells and whistles of Sunshine sans Alchemy and it isn't as crowded, nor are the reviews as many in the negative column.

One caveat for me though is that I wouldn't book a balcony below deck 8 on a Dream class ship. Should anyone walking around on deck 5 just look up, they can see onto the balconies on deck 6 and possibly deck 7. We don't do anything out on our balcony that the world couldn't see, but I like being able to look straight out and see the water. On the decks I mentioned you still see the Promenade deck rather than the sea.

We are really excited to be going on Breeze and know it will be a great cruise with lots of bells and whistles.

On the same topic, sort of, I have to ask, why would anyone want to go on anything other than a Dream class ship? I have been on the Magic and the Breeze and personally wouldn't even consider going on anything other than a Dream class ship? I am fighting the urge to go on an the Oasis or Allure because once I do I feel I won't go back to anything smaller. That old saying Bigger is better for me holds true.

ow was your cruise on sunshine? anything you couldn't do without? and how did your mesh network attempt go? anyhow, you always ask good questions...

Thanks,

the cruise was great the mesh network did NOT work, due to the way the wifi nodes are set up on the ship HOWEVER att had a $30 international plan which included unlimited texting and video / picture texting so I just used that

Internet on the ship seems ODD. ODD as I could do a good video stream from my laptop back to our servers with no problems but trying to upload a video file was beyond slow. so I am hoping for faster internet BUT having said that my situation was unique, most cruisers arnt editing and uploading gigabytes of video each day :)

We were on the DREAM this last summer. The only complaint we had...which is close to a deal breaker for us, is that the one deck sticks out so much farther below the OS balconies......you can't look down and see the ocean...you have to look out to see the ocean, and there are people walking on that deck most of the times so it does not feel that private. We love our balcony and travel with others who also book OS. We open the door between the two and have a huge balcony that we enjoy. Really did not like the extended deck.

Probably going to stick to the Conquest class. Loved the Freedom and the Conquest! Hopefully going to book the Glory!

I like the open-ness of the Lido deck on the Dream class. Love the aft pool and that it's not boxed in with plexiglass walls like on the conquest class. I also like the Lido section. I hate the "Stadium" style like on the conquest class.

I also love the outdoor sections on deck 5. Outdoor tables under an overhang for shade or some for not. Drink service. One side is smoking, one side not. Just a very nice area. There are also hot tubs right there for playing in.

Cabins were just the same.

I was on the Dream so missed Guys and the Blue Iguana but not so much that I wouldn't cruise the Dream again. Breeze has it all though.

If there's a choice for me, I'll go with Dream class any day!

You must be reading my mind because I feel exactly the same way!

The cove balconies on the dream class are the best balconies on any ship. You are low right next to the water and when a dolphin jumps, you are right there.

When you are in a balcony on another ship on the 8th or 12th deck the dolphin looks like a minnow.

Like others have mentioned.. the cove balconies! Love them! The Dream class is my favorite class so far, love the open feel of the outdoor spaces and I just love the flow of the ship. We will be on the Sunshine in less than two weeks so I may have an even better answer when we return. :p

Our favorite thing about the Dream class is Deck 5. Plenty of space, open chairs, and hot tubs not packed with people. A peaceful place to look at the stars from the hot tub with my daughters before their bedtime. Also, the family oceanviews with full-size beds, not trundles, for five people, are perfect for our family. We also enjoy the sports decks on the Magic and Breeze, but of course the Sunshine has that too.

I've been on the Breeze and the Dream. I loved the Breeze & will be back on her in a couple of months. On the Dream I was in a cove balcony and on the Breeze was in a balcony on Deck 6 (far enough toward the back that the promenade on 5 wasn't an issue). I love the open promenade and spent alot of time there when I was on the Breeze. The only thing I didn't like was embarkation in Miami - for some reason it was a total mess.

I'm sure I'll go on the Sunshine as I live in central Florida and I'm looking forward to it. I loved the smaller ships so I'm not one of those "bigger is always better," I do love the 2.0 upgrades so who knows, maybe the Sunshine will become my favorite ship (beating out the Breeze will not be easy)!!

I would absolutely sail the Dream class!

I want to have an opportunity to try a cove balcony and no other class offers that (right now). Maybe the new ships will change that in the future. I think if I would choose a dream class I would choose the Breeze, mainly because my husband is bound and determined he must have Guy's burgers when he cruises now. Thanks to the Liberty cruise.