Avoid Houston....

cracra cruiser

In defense of the OP, we were in a very similar situation for the 5 day sailing before his sailing. A weather front had come in that day and fog delayed the ship from docking which created a long delay in the disembarkation of the transatlantic sailing passengers from getting off the ship. This, in turn, delayed embarkation for our sailing. Coordination of traffic and passengers at the port was a mess when we arrived at 1pm. This was our timeline:

1:00 – arrived only to wait in a line of traffic for 30 minutes so that my husband could drop me off with the luggage to stand in the long line outside in misting 45 degree weather

1:30 - dropped me and the luggage off

2:00 – he finally got to his parking space (note that all traffic lanes to drop off passengers were not open) and meets me in line

2:15 – we finally get indoors, wet and cold

2:45 – make it through security (note that only 3 of the 4 machines were manned and operated)

3:30 – we finally checked in because the line to check in wrapped around the large room with the chairs that no one sat in

3:45 – arrived in our stateroom very hungry!

Upon our return, the ship was delayed again due to another front coming through the area that caused fog. Thankfully, we were only delayed about an hour and a half.

We were very disappointed with the Bayport terminal and considered not cruising from there again. We felt like it could have been better staffed to direct traffic and to get through security. We will give them another try, mostly because of the convenience of the location of the port to where we live. I haven't had good experiences at our local airport, but we continue to fly from there. I won't let one instance control my future plans. We have a different plan for the next trip: arrive later and don’t leave our stateroom until it is absolutely our time to get off of the ship!

As a side note, we LOVE Texas and vacation there several times per year! Please don’t slam me for this post. I’m just stating the facts and want everyone to be aware that this could happen again. I was just very thankful that my husband and I were healthy enough to tolerate the long waits. I had planned to take my 78 year old mother on my next cruise from here, but we’ll take her elsewhere.

Edited by Madame B

Never cruised out of Houston :rolleyes: . My best cruise to date was the one from Galveston. Would absolutely cruise out of Texas again.

As far as being stranded, that can happen anywhere. Coming home from a cruise out of Puerto Rico, we got stuck at the airport in Washington DC due to bad thunder storms. Sleeping in the airport with a million of your new best friends is not fun. And they could not get us home until late the following day. But you won't hear me say 'I will never fly into DC airport again because of the weather'.

As for being taxed for the 'duty free liquor'. Taxes are taxes. I don't drink so makes no matter to me :p .

Enjoy your future cruises!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a native Texan and love my state, but i have to say the liquor tax is bogus. Even the greedy Feds allow you to bring in a liter tax free. Texas needs to adjust the law to do the same as the current law and enforcement simply generate bad will toward the state. I plan on notifying my congressman about changing this stupid law.

As far as the other items, fog and wet luggage happen everywhere. How many times as the Port of Tampa been closed due to fog?

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

I'm a native Texan and love my state, but i have to say the liquor tax is bogus. Even the greedy Feds allow you to bring in a liter tax free. Texas needs to adjust the law to do the same as the current law and enforcement simply generate bad will toward the state. I plan on notifying my congressman about changing this stupid law.

As far as the other items, fog and wet luggage happen everywhere. How many times as the Port of Tampa been closed due to fog?

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Easy, I read the Chronicle on line sometimes and the reader comments....you might get asked to leave Texas if you dare say anything bad about it. :D

(little inside joke for anybody who ever reads the reader comments on that site will understand)

I totally agree with the OP. I luckily live about 80 miles North of Galveston so it's pretty convenient for me to just drive down, park, and cruise.

What I read here on CC: Due to the LACK of affordable hotels for ONE night, AFFORDABLE transport to/from the port, the distances involved, construction (which is ALWAYS present & has been since I moved to Houston 35 years ago) and logistical nightmares for anyone NOT living here -- I would NOT consider this a port conducive to any type of cruise. Never mind the Liquor Tax.

And I'm a 7th Gen Texan and usually TEXAS PROUD!!

I totally agree with the OP. I luckily live about 80 miles North of Galveston so it's pretty convenient for me to just drive down, park, and cruise.

What I read here on CC: Due to the LACK of affordable hotels for ONE night, AFFORDABLE transport to/from the port, the distances involved, construction (which is ALWAYS present & has been since I moved to Houston 35 years ago) and logistical nightmares for anyone NOT living here -- I would NOT consider this a port conducive to any type of cruise. Never mind the Liquor Tax.

And I'm a 7th Gen Texan and usually TEXAS PROUD!!

Oh stop, you'd almost scare me away if the cruises (B2B) were not already booked and paid.;)

I'm from Wisconsin, so I have to fly to ports. Really, all ports seem to have downsides.

the liquor tax doesn't concern me as we do not drink much hard liquor and would not wish to check it on the return flight (cost, weight, breakage risk, ugh).

Pre cruise hotels (decent though not fancy per on line reviews)for one night this January can be had for under $100 plus taxes. I know other seasons are much higher, but for me it's less than I'd pay for a comparable hotel in south Florida. and traffic in south Florida can be awful. my cruises this time from Galveston were cheaper than same week from Florida. Airfare was about the same. You are right that ground transit is a bit of an issue (fewer options and pricier). I'd love to rent a car, so I'd have wheels to see a bit more of your wonderful state, but that one way rentals to Glaveston are problematic. I believe ground transit will work out somehow. if I spend more on ground transit, it will balance out the savings on cruise fare. And I'll get to visit Texas again:D.

I have enjoyed all my other visits to your state and I am looking forward to this visit, too. i certainly hope it won't become a logistical nightmare. I'll let you know soon in hopes you'll be more Texas Proud than ever.

• 1 month later...

A warning to those who want to bring back duty free alcohol, the only people, including those in transit out of the state or country, being asked to pay the $3.75 per quart Texas Excise tax were those it was obvious that they had alcohol.

There is no questioning about or x-rays/searches for alcohol in your luggage or carry on/off bags.

Just don't bring it off in the ship's or duty free store boxes or bags.

We just did B2B2B Navigator cruises and had alcohol in our bags for the flight out today and nothing was asked nor searches done for alcohol. Several friends carried off duty free boxes and were sent to the Excise tax table after custom/border services to paid this stupid tax, especially for those in transit out of the state. ;)

The state of Texas is going to hurt their cruise ports and jeopardized their tourism industry to collect a few dollars in liquor tax.

This is really pissing off large numbers of cruisers from what we hear onboard.

The Texas legislature must be made up of mostly idiots or fools.:p

well rob I am saddened that we might lose you as a tourist here in Texas. You seem like such a nice person. Who wouldn't want to hang with a Canadian who ignores Texas law and insults Texas lawmakers and by extension the Texans that elected them? But seriously, If you think the future of the Texas tourism industry depends on the participation of folks that want to buy cheap liquor in a foreign country you underestimate the depth of Texas tourism. We have an expression here in Texas; don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Let's make deal Ron, you don't knock Texas and Texas doesn't knock Canada:)

That sounds like a good plan to me! I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise from Galveston 2 years ago, and hope to enjoy the one I have coming up in a few weeks just as much.

Really appreciate the non-stop UA flight to Houston from Vancouver!

Love Texas :)

well rob I am saddened that we might lose you as a tourist here in Texas. You seem like such a nice person. Who wouldn't want to hang with a Canadian who ignores Texas law and insults Texas lawmakers and by extension the Texans that elected them? But seriously, If you think the future of the Texas tourism industry depends on the participation of folks that want to buy cheap liquor in a foreign country you underestimate the depth of Texas tourism. We have an expression here in Texas; don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Well I'll have to plead ignorance of that stupid law as we were told onboard that it applied only to Texas residents. So were others on Princess forum I posted this on also. I'm guessing the cruise lines didn't want their liquor sales impacted by this. Also no one question us about our liquor when leaving the cruise terminal as our liquor was already in our luggage for the flight out.

I sure you're a nice Texan but you and Galveston Cruiser seem to be the only one who posted that were supportive of your legislators on all of the cruise lines that sail out of the Houston area forums I posted this on.

Cruises from Houston and Galveston have very limited itinerary possibility as it takes two sea days typically to get to the first port and there are basically only six ports to go to and only half are decent ones. There aren't many transport options to the ports other than lousy ship's transfer or expensive taxis or limos. These cruises are often impacted by weather as an example fog delayed the sailing of the ships out of Bayport Houston for 24 hours, thus having to miss one of their port of call, at the start of our first recent Navigator B2B2B cruises but luckily we were able to sail out in spite of the poor weather. Now Texas is taxing liquor of cruisers just passing through after a cruise.:(

I know it will be very unlikely that we will be sailing out of Houston or Galveston again so I won't be hit on the a$$ by that door. There are way too many ports that are easier and cheaper for us to get to, offer better itineraries and weather and don't try to shaft their tourists. :D

Edited by robtulipe

Well I'll have to plead ignorance of that stupid law as we were told onboard that it applied only to Texas residents. So were others on Princess forum I posted this on also. I'm guessing the cruise lines didn't want their liquor sales impacted by this. Also no one question us about our liquor when leaving the cruise terminal as our liquor was already in our luggage for the flight out.

I sure you're a nice Texan but you and Galveston Cruiser seem to be the only one who posted that were supportive of your legislators on all of the cruise lines that sail out of the Houston area forums I posted this on.

Cruises from Houston and Galveston have very limited itinerary possibility as it takes two sea days typically to get to the first port and there are basically only six ports to go to and only half are decent ones. There aren't many transport options to the ports other than lousy ship's transfer or expensive taxis or limos. These cruises are often impacted by weather as an example fog delayed the sailing of the ships out of Bayport Houston for 24 hours, thus having to miss one of their port of call, at the start of our first recent Navigator B2B2B cruises but luckily we were able to sail out in spite of the poor weather. Now Texas is taxing liquor of cruisers just passing through after a cruise.:(

I know it will be very unlikely that we will be sailing out of Houston or Galveston again so I won't be hit on the a$$ by that door. There are way too many ports that are easier and cheaper for us to get to, offer better itineraries and weather and don't try to shaft their tourists. :D

For someone that has sailed so much,

you sure seem to have are a sour attitude!:rolleyes:

You would think:eek:

you would have a better understanding

what traveling is all about.

A GOOD Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and adventure!:)

There is an old saying and to quote:

" All of us could take a lesson from the weather.

It pays no attention to criticism."

and another old saying:

If you don't think every day is a good day,

just try missing one.

Incidentally Galveston and Houston have Eastern and Western Caribbean destinations. :D

Enjoy the travel to Australia!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

Edited by ssb

A warning to those who want to bring back duty free alcohol, the only people, including those in transit out of the state or country, being asked to pay the $3.75 per quart Texas Excise tax were those it was obvious that they had alcohol.

There is no questioning about or x-rays/searches for alcohol in your luggage or carry on/off bags.

Just don't bring it off in the ship's or duty free store boxes or bags.

We just did B2B2B Navigator cruises and had alcohol in our bags for the flight out today and nothing was asked nor searches done for alcohol. Several friends carried off duty free boxes and were sent to the Excise tax table after custom/border services to paid this stupid tax, especially for those in transit out of the state. ;)

The state of Texas is going to hurt their cruise ports and jeopardized their tourism industry to collect a few dollars in liquor tax.

This is really pissing off large numbers of cruisers from what we hear onboard.

The Texas legislature must be made up of mostly idiots or fools.:p

Hi Rob. We met aboard; Mike and I did a b2b overlapping with your b2b2b cruise. I thought I'd share my experience, as it differed from yours.

On turnaround day, we got off the ship to see a bit of Galveston ("in transit"; my travel purse is large enough to hold bottles though I did not have any); nobody questioned us about alcohol that day. A week later, on final disembarkation pulling our bags (no duty free boxes; in fact, no alcohol again), we were indeed asked if we had alcohol or tobacco. We answered "no" honestly and continued walking. Hypothetically, if we had stowed such items in our bags, we'd have had to lie or stop at the table.

People may be questioned even if boxes are not visible. People have to pass near the table (with posters and such). Even if not directly questioned, failing to stop and disclose might feel dicey (or worse) to me if I had such items.

I know little or nothing about Texas liquor laws. Since I do not buy liquor or tobacco on cruises, the Texas taxes will have no impact on me or my departure port decisions. Others may feel differently.

For someone that has sailed so much,

you sure seem to have are a sour attitude!:rolleyes:

You would think:eek:

you would have a better understanding

what traveling is all about.

Incidentally Galveston and Houston have Eastern and Western Caribbean destinations. :D

I'm not sour at all. What I am against is what I feel is unfair taxation. I believe the future Americans had a tea party in Dec.1773 and started a revolution in 1775 because of unfair taxation by the British.

I'm just stating the very obvious that there are many disadvantages to sailing out of Galveston as we sail mostly with RC. The liquor excise tax for cruisers in transit just adds to these disadvantages.

We were originally going to sail on a RC ship out of Florida doing pretty well the same itineraries as we just did on Navigator but very good friends from Southern California really wanted us to do the Navigator cruises with them.

We actually already had booked cheaper direct non-stop return Southwest flights to Tampa and were about to book Vision cruises when we changed our plans. :D

Yes I know that Carnival does one ways 10 and 11 night cruises between Galveston and San Juan but most cruise are 7 nights or shorter and a few do go as far as the Bahamas, which is not the Eastern Caribbean. Most do not go further east than Jamaica.;)

I'm not sour at all. What I am against is what I feel is unfair taxation. I believe the future Americans had a tea party in Dec.1773 and started a revolution in 1775 because of unfair taxation by the British.

I'm just stating the very obvious that there are many disadvantages to sailing out of Galveston as we sail mostly with RC. The liquor excise tax for cruisers in transit just adds to these disadvantages.

We were originally going to sail on a RC ship out of Florida doing pretty well the same itineraries as we just did on Navigator but very good friends from Southern California really wanted us to do the Navigator cruises with them.

We actually already had booked cheaper direct non-stop return Southwest flights to Tampa and were about to book Vision cruises when we changed our plans. :D

Yes I know that Carnival does one ways 10 and 11 night cruises between Galveston and San Juan but most cruise are 7 nights or shorter and a few do go as far as the Bahamas, which is not the Eastern Caribbean. Most do not go further east than Jamaica.;)

Check triumph carnival new itineraries

including eastern and southern Carribean via Galveston/San Juan

You know, I had plenty to say, then decided it just wasn't worth it. Everything you mentioned could happen at Anyport, USA, and the (extremely nominal) tax on alcohol has been going on for nearly a year. Bottom line: Thank you for not sailing from our state anymore. :)

I have to agree. We have sailed from the Port of Houston 7 times over the years. Only once did we have an issue with the fog. Our debarkation was delayed until 8pm, but we made the first port on time.

We just sailed from Houston on 1/18/15 and it was the easiest embarkation and debarkation we have had on any of our 55 cruises.

We just sailed Galveston 01/18/15

on Navigator and had the easiest

embarkation and disembarkation ever,

Even without the new terminal that should be completed this summer.

We even had a leisurely breakfast in the main dining room before disembarkation.

You could also do the Liberty repo

From Jersey to Galveston via eastern Carribean

in Nov 2015.

Edited by ssb

I have to agree. We have sailed from the Port of Houston 7 times over the years. Only once did we have an issue with the fog. Our debarkation was delayed until 8pm, but we made the first port on time.

We just sailed from Houston on 1/18/15 and it was the easiest embarkation and debarkation we have had on any of our 55 cruises.

Well the Jan.11th sailing of the Emerald Princess departure was delayed overnight by fog and they missed their first port stop because of that. Below is from that sailing's roll call.

I am beginning to believe that I am destined to spend one night of every cruise out of Houston at the port of Houston. Last year it was Noro, this year fog. *sigh*

We had the choice of a 10:45am flight out after our cruises or a 6:30pm which is the one we did because I was concerned about fog when returning so we spent half a day waiting at Hobby. There was a 1:55 option but that was a little pricy at $560 more. We were told by the check in agent that he could move us to that earlier flight without any extra cost if our booked flight was delayed 20 minutes or more but it was wasn't at that time. Just after the earlier flight left we got a email from Southwest that our booked flight was delayed 30 minutes. :(

At any other US port I would have chanced the earlier flight, done an express walk off and taken a taxi to the airport.;)

I did mention that in my post above.:D

Check triumph carnival new itineraries

including eastern and southern Carribean via Galveston/San Juan

• 1 month later...

I've done 11 of my 14 cruises out of Galveston and have been fogged out of port twice. When booking this time of year, the fog goes with the territory. It's not Galveston's fault, it's not Houston's fault, blame Mother Nature. I'm cruising this Sunday out of H-town and I'm expecting some fog, but hoping not enough fog to keep the ship from coming or going.

We almost missed a 2pm flight disembarking in Port Everglades once, not due to fog, but due to a Customs situation. Delays can happen anywhere, at anytime.

Someone complained about there being 2 sea days before you reach the first port of call. Well, I spit up my coffee. Personally, I wish there were more sea days…..both ways.

It has been rainy and froggy for the better part of the past three or four weeks here in the Houston area but this weekend is supposed to be sunny and mid 70s so hopefully no fog for your trip and no rain for my softball tournament. : )