Cruise on crutches :(

barrelracer89

I am leaving on the Glory on 12/06/14 unfortunately I broke my foot 4 weeks ago and I am now in a boot and on crutches the dr was hoping that I would be off the crushed by the cruise. But that doesn't look like it is going to happen :( what I am wondering is has anyone on here had to do a cruise on crutches before and if so how bad was it??? I won't have to be on then the whole time but the dr said I should use the about 80% of the time

I sailed in September with a boot and cane. The ship itself was fine except of course I had to use elevators instead of the stairs. If you are getting off in port they will let you use the elevators as well when you usually have to take that last flight down. I knew I wouldn't be able to walk much (I had a broken ankle) so we did not get off the ship in Nassau. I did get off on LSC and had to be slow and methodical over the sand.

It wasn't terrible but I would not like to repeat it either.

We cruised in July with our best friends, and their daughter (16) was on crutches from a recent knee surgery.

Again, she was like you, she was at the tail end of needing them, but she survived. Kind of a pain in the arse, but it is what it is.

She said she was glad to be on a cruise with crutches, rather than home on crutches.

Good thing she had them, because her brother was playing basketball and twisted his ankle pretty good.

He needed them for the last day and debarkation:eek::eek::eek:

I know it's not how you planned to spend your cruise, but you will still have a great time. Use the elevators, relax, and drink lots of DOD's.:D

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

I would rent a scooter.

a cruise ship is a lot of walking- depending on where your cabin is located you could be doing a lot of hobbling-- and maybe walking on the foot-which you should not do.

I can only imagine your pits and hands hurting from the hobbling you will be doing.

a scooter is about 150 for the week.

a wheel chair is about 75.00

the cruise lines have wheel chairs but there are only a few and you can not use them off the ship

I would rent a scooter.

a cruise ship is a lot of walking- depending on where your cabin is located you could be doing a lot of hobbling-- and maybe walking on the foot-which you should not do.

I can only imagine your pits and hands hurting from the hobbling you will be doing.

a scooter is about 150 for the week.

a wheel chair is about 75.00

the cruise lines have wheel chairs but there are only a few and you can not use them off the ship

Where can I rent a wheel chair?

The dr told me I can walk on it some but not a lot

Contact carnival. The company that they use will have a wheelchair waiting for you in your cabin.

Make sure it folds as it cannot be stored in the hallway.

Edited by SadieN

Depending on where you live, you may well be able to rent a scooter (or even be given the use of one) from one of the medical supply places. I know here in my town I was able to actually borrow one from a medical supply place. At the least, get a wheelchair. That off it 80% of the time will pretty much mean you need to either be on crutches or using something.

Contact Special Needs at Carnival and they should be able to help you from the Carnival side. Things like the safety muster will be so much better for you if they know in advance. You will be SITTING in a room with others and not having to stand and possibly be jostled about.

Keep in mind that 20% able to be on the foot has to include time in your cabin showering, dressing, etc.

GO, HAVE FUN, and know it's much better to be on a cruise than sitting at home.

My spouse had a knee injury and was on crutches for our cruise. Had no problems getting around the ship but fellow passengers nearly knocked my spouse over daily. I felt like I had to be a blocking fullback to keep passengers away. :(

Just call carnival and give them my booking number??

Carnival will give you the contact info for the company approved to rent wheelchairs onboard. The Disabled Cruise board also had info.

Here is a

S

Uggestion, how about one of thotnings that wheel you can put your knee on, might be easier than churches.

Wife rented one at our local medical equipment store for $36 per week. No need to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely look into renting one of those knee-scooter things; you might be surprised at how inexpensive it is.

I did one cruise on crutches and it really wasn't that big of a deal. It hampered my plans in port because I had some very active excursions booked, but on the ship it wasn't an issue. The staff were very accommodating, especially when I tried to dine alone in the Lido restaurant - no worries about carrying a tray.

Have a great cruise!

I have been on 10 cruises to date and have a brace on my leg and walk with a cane. It is very do-able. Staff will assist with your needs. The most dangerous thing will be your fellow guests who don't see you or don't care about you; I've seen both kinds. Just take it slow and enjoy what you are able to do......

Edited by maxydu

I recommend the "knee walker". I purchased one online a couple of years ago before a cruise. I was able to stay active and mobile, while resting my injured foot. I used it to get through the airport and to navigate the long hallways of the cruise ship. I would park it at the entrance to the dining room and walk the rest of the way in. I was able to cruise pain free and no re-injure my foot. At the beach, I was able to remove my boot and carefully walk into the ocean. If I lived closer to you, I could sell my knee walker to you - it's collecting dust now. I tried the hospital issued crutches and they were very difficult.

In our town the Red Cross has a rental of medical equipment. In fact it is by donation, no set price. You need Dr or physio requsition,. Phone your doctors office or any clinic and ask where they would suggest.

I cruised once while on crutches and was complete non-weight bearing. I hated it and would never wish that on anyone. We contacted the Special Needs Dept. and they had a wheelchair ready for me for embarkation. The wheelchair stayed outside of my room in the area closest to the stairs for the whole week. We had a forward cabin and yet they assigned us to the rear dining room. I had told Special Needs Dept., emailed maitre D and facebook request to John Heald regarding being assigned to closest dining room. However, to no avail because they still assigned me to the rear dining room. That is a LONG walk on crutches! I only used the wheelchair to get to dining room and to get down to deck zero when we got off ship. They do not allow you to take the wheelchair off the ship. They were very accomodating for muster drill. I got to go sit in the library and listen to muster from there.

My advise - take the wheel chairs when offered to keep from getting re-injured.

I cruise with a rolling walker and cane. I don't need them all the time but if I stand long - I mess my self up. So like others have said - take the special assist route. If you can not make it up the stairs at muster time - you are special needs. I was told a while back - it is 4 flights in x minutes or you are special needs.

Just take the wheel chairs when they offer them to you. Especially during embark and debark. People get anxious and step on you and push into you. My friend has lost a toe nail cause people stomped her foot trying to get on the ship and through security. I have gotten bruises from people pushing wheel chairs into me as well.

Getting around on crutches - I see lots. Just be care around the pool and buffets. Normally staff will help you at the buffet. Good luck!

Edited by tbbtravels