Food - Regent and Oceania

Travelcat2

Now this is how no matter how I do the math Regent vs Oceania, Regent comes out so much better.....

I thought maybe you just did "new math" and got a better answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are so funny and so right. I do so much research and find things that I think are wonderful. Then either I check into it or my TA does and I find out that I didn't look at the whole picture. I still had fun which is important.

Something strange happened tonight. My DH thought that maybe we should do Alaska yet again since it is so convenient for us. So I looked up the Mariner for next spring and didn't find Alaska. Do you remember the announcement that the Mariner was moving back to Alaska in 2015? Well, according to the website, the Navigator will still be there. NCL decision or ????

All I'm trying to find is a fill-in cruise between April and November (not counting late June, July and August - when children travel). I did not think it would be so difficult.

In any case, I'm really excited to learn to walk again and to board the Mariner in April. After that, I'm not sure. Fiji is my favorite place on earth and is still a possibility. We just want great food, good service and a comfortable bed:D

. It's not just about what excursions or ports I know I'll be seeing on a given date, it's about what I feel like eating or who I feel like eating with that night, or no more than a night or two prior. That's what luxury measn to me, . If they were only concerned about not having enough spots for all those who wanted them a better way to do it would have been to institute two seatings per night, doubling the capacity....just as they do in their dining room.

Henry,

That's all very nice as a concept but how can it work in reality except in the MDR? What if half the ship (about 600 people on Marina) would feel the same as you do and wanted to eat in Polo the same night your fancy struck you to eat there? How would that work?

You are suggesting 2 seatings per night as a solution. They already have that - even more than 2 seatings each night (staggered) - thus accommodating more people than a simple 2 seating (I believe). But unless they double or triple the staff, they could not staff each specialty restaurant to a point where all tables would be occupied at all times (like the MDR).

I am a working stiff that takes at least one cruise a year, 23 total with 7 on Regent on all three ships. I am Seven Seas Silver and have never stayed in a cabin higher than Penthouse. I have no where near the status that most of the posters here have. I have dined with the Captain on Voyager, the Hotel Manager on all three ships and have never had a problem getting more than one reservation in the Specialty restaurants. I have never seen an overt class system on Regent ships. I have seen high-end suite passengers eat in Prime 7 for multiple nights in a row, but that does not bother me. I assume they paid for it.

I have also seen many posts that claim the crews have "favorites" and all I can say is that be acting positively with crew members I have always been treated favorably. I personally believe that the only way to have a bad Regent cruise is to set out with that as your goal. I have been on ships with short staff, full loads (two New Years cruises) and bad weather. I have had disappointing meals, asked for different wine and passed on some of the entertainment, so everything is not always perfect. When I have had an issue, it was addressed and I have always been happy in the end.

In two weeks I board the Navigator again, my goal is a good experience. I'm betting I get it. Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays to all.

TW

TWG

I concur with TC2 wholeheartedly! Positive expectations and a great attitude can help to minimize the "bumps in the road" which any trip can provide. Sounds like you'll have a great cruise. Please be sure to provide a review on your return. It sounds like you'll have a terrific time!

Rob

Paul,

I can do it on Seabourn. I can walk into the main restaurant, the Colonnade or the Patio Grill any time I want and get a table. The only restaurant that requires a reservation is R2 and that is 48 hours prior, not three or four months.

Look, I'm not saying one way is better than the other. I'm just saying what I prefer.

Travelcat:

Maybe the rules have changed since you travelled in a Master suite. We have travelled in a Master Suite on all of the Regent ships plus we are also Platinum. We were always informed that we could have a table in P7, and Signatures without a reservation at any given time.

Which was exactly what our friends in the Master Suite on the Navigator told us on our last cruise on that ship ... in 2011 I think it was.

Paul,

I can do it on Seabourn. I can walk into the main restaurant, the Colonnade or the Patio Grill any time I want and get a table. The only restaurant that requires a reservation is R2 and that is 48 hours prior, not three or four months.

Look, I'm not saying one way is better than the other. I'm just saying what I prefer.

Henry,

Of course, you can also walk in to Oceania's MDR (Seabourn's Colonade) and Terrace Café (Seabourn's Patio Grill) anytime - so not much difference there.

Only difference is the R2. I wonder how they can accommodate potentially the whole ship (should all those people choose to eat there) at 48 hr notice?

I am glad that Seabourn works well for you.

Would love to sail with you again sometime :)

I am a working stiff that takes at least one cruise a year, 23 total with 7 on Regent on all three ships. I am Seven Seas Silver and have never stayed in a cabin higher than Penthouse. I have no where near the status that most of the posters here have. I have dined with the Captain on Voyager, the Hotel Manager on all three ships and have never had a problem getting more than one reservation in the Specialty restaurants. I have never seen an overt class system on Regent ships. I have seen high-end suite passengers eat in Prime 7 for multiple nights in a row, but that does not bother me. I assume they paid for it.

I have also seen many posts that claim the crews have "favorites" and all I can say is that be acting positively with crew members I have always been treated favorably. I personally believe that the only way to have a bad Regent cruise is to set out with that as your goal. I have been on ships with short staff, full loads (two New Years cruises) and bad weather. I have had disappointing meals, asked for different wine and passed on some of the entertainment, so everything is not always perfect. When I have had an issue, it was addressed and I have always been happy in the end.

In two weeks I board the Navigator again, my goal is a good experience. I'm betting I get it. Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays to all.

TW

Love your post and the positive outlook that you have. We've only been on two Regent cruises, but have one reserved with another in the works and have had nothing but positive experiences. Your words are refreshing and a far cry from the negative vibes and jabs that are all too prevalent in CC. More comments like yours are needed in CC. TC2 hit the nail on the head.

BREAK BREAK

My family would like to extend Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday wishes to all. We hope that tomorrow is a blessed and wonderful day for everyone full of love, warmth, and happiness. We also want to extend our wishes to all those that can't make it home for the holidays or can't be with their loved ones like our brave troops and their families and our oldest daughter who is in Korea. For anyone cruising during the holidays, have a wonderful trip and toast the good times.

Jackie:

You may want to ask Santa for some boxing gloves or ninja powers! :D Loved reading your Oceania posts.

Z and TB

TW

TW

We have just booked our first cruise with RSS. Your comments make us feel a bit better. There is a lot of negative comments from RSS travelers and we wondered if we made a mistake. We have sailed on many different lines and know there are a lot of complainers. This will be our first all-inclusive cruise for our 40th anniversary.

Thanks for making us feel better.

Merry Christmas!

Which was exactly what our friends in the Master Suite on the Navigator told us on our last cruise on that ship ... in 2011 I think it was.

I just got off the Mariner earlier this month and the same policy was still if effect and I witnessed it in action - in our group no one, not even a butler was able to get a reservation - when the couple in the Master suite put in the request, it was graciously and easily fulfilled.

The residents of the Master suite were told they are able to eat in the specialty restaurants whenever they desire - it has been this way for many years.

gnomie :)

Guess we are not a special as some people think we are. We've been in a Master Suite three times and were never told about this. On the Voyager, the wonderful Head Butler, Ronnie, was on vacation and we had a butler that we had to ask to be replaced (he argued about everything -- when we told him that we needed laundry bags he said that we already had some -- had to walk into the closet to "prove" that we didn't:-( The next butler was good but wanted to talk about how much more $$$ butlers made on Oceania. In a Grand Suite we have been told by the Maitre 'D that we could come in any time we wanted to (this was also done on the Riviera in Polo). On Regent, in a Master Suite, we wanted an extra dining reservation one time and could not get it. As I mentioned, we are no longer enamored with P7 or Signatures and would not mind if we did not have any reservations.

gnomie1: In our experience, it is extremely unusual to not be able to get a reservation in the specialty restaurants on a long cruise - as long as you are flexible. While they may not be able to accommodate groups or four or six or even give you a table alone for two, if you are willing to join others -- not on a specific night, it is fairly easy to get an extra reservation or two (yes - there are a lot of "ifs").

Okay -- time to start being nice so that Santa will visit your homes tonight;)

Edited by Travelcat2

On the Voyager, the wonderful Head Butler, Ronnie, was on vacation and we had a butler that we had to ask to be replaced (he argued about everything -- when we told him that we needed laundry bags he said that we already had some -- had to walk into the closet to "prove" that we didn't:-( The next butler was good but wanted to talk about how much more $$$ butlers made on Oceania.

Okay -- time to start being nice so that Santa will visit your homes tonight;)

I couldn't believe I was reading this because our friends must have had the same butler and complained bitterly - he was just SO DIFFICULT!!! Everything was a problem and he was unwilling to compromise or assist with anything. After a number of different situations, a different butler was brought in, and he too was most difficult. We were having afternoon tea with our friends in their suite and we asked for some biscuits without chocolate (I am allergic to it) and he stood there trying to break off the pieces with chocolate!

One would think that Regent would put only their best butlers in the top suites, but apparently that is not the case - I thought this was isolated but I guess I was wrong.

We only have a butler when we travel with the children and have a large suite, otherwise I would have a hard time enjoying my vacation if I had to argue with a butler about laundry bags.

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas - since Santa does not come to my house, I will spend tonight and tomorrow working in a local soup kitchen so that the less fortunate among us can have some joy in their lives. Remember, those of us who are able to cruise on Regent are a very small minority and there are many others much less fortunate than us who also deserving.

gnomie :)

Edited by gnomie1

• 2 months later...
I am reporting the "warm" soup and gnocchi because it is something to watch out for - particularly when these items are served from a vessel rather than being put directly onto a plate/bowl in the kitchen. Definitely agree that returning it is the best thing to do. However, this can throw off the service (waiting for a course to be redone while the person you are dining with completes their dish).

While posting about food and being brutally honest it occurred to me that I have not scrutinized food on Regent as I am doing on Oceania. So, if computerworks can put up with me one more time, I will do a similar thread from the Mariner in April (unless you are going to be on Regent before we are and prefer to post your own photos).

The number of servers in The GDR and Terrace Cafe (CR and La Veranda equivalent) is amazing. There are at least twice as many servers/per person in the Terrace Cafe. This morning in the GDR there were at least 14 people serving (note: We find breakfast in CR to have extremely slow service). There were not many people at breakfast in the GDR - just as they seldom are in CR. However, the service was over the top. I cannot count how many servers are in the Terrace Cafe at lunch but we have never had to wait to have plates removed from our table and rarely have to wait for wine. Wonder if this has to do with more accommodations for crew on this ship compared to Regent. Over the years we have heard about crew quarters being redesigned in an attempt to accommodate more staff.

Mjflowers: Yes -- sometimes people in upper suites get some special privileges. This definitely does not occur all of the time. When I compare Regent to Oceania and what I have sometimes called the "class system" on Oceania I am looking at things like special areas where only the concierge class passengers can go (Concierge Lounge) or the Executive Lounge where only PH and above can go. There is also the pre-boarding issue (generally the very top suites can board at 11:00 a.m, PH at noon and so on. When we were going to embark on the ship, there were special lines for the different classes. Also, anyone with a alcohol package has to put their key cards on the table during dinner. This clearly identifies what suite you are in by color of the card and what is imprinted on the card. With Regent, should anyone see your card, they would know approximately how many nights you have on Regent -- nothing else. In the case of a couple in a Master Suite being able to dine in a specialty restaurant without reservations, I would think that most passengers would not have noticed this "special treatment" just as I cannot imagine that anyone would notice that we get 2 reservations in each of the four specialty restaurants but can get additional reservations at any time.

Need to comment on the the differences in cleaning on this ship. I see the keyboard in the Exec. Lounge (which I go to because it is half the walking distance from my suite) frequently. We notice upholstered furniture being steam cleaned all of the time. As mentioned, this ship is going into dry dock April 15th. When I learned that, I looked closely at everything. Perhaps there are a couple of areas that could use new carpeting but you have to be looking to notice it. This ship looks as good now as when we were on her 18 months ago.

Mosquito issue -- thanks for mentioning it. We are definitely using repellent when we go ashore and still do not plan on going ashore tomorrow in St Barts (we have been there before -- like it very much but do not want to risk being bitten by the mosquito's that seem to enjoy biting in the middle of the day).

Quite surprised to hear what corporate says about the Navigator. Also wonder if the person answering the phone is from Regent or a newbie from NCL as I have not heard this statement about the Navigator - ever. There are passengers who prefer the Navigator to Regent's other ships but I cannot imagine her being their "prized possession". Rather, she is the beautiful problem child that has taken hundreds of thousands of dollars (probably millions by now) to keep up. Her 1950's hull has been a consistent issue for the Navigator. Sounds like a new "corporate line" to me.

There is a "cartoon" NCL ship in port along with another giant ship (Royal Caribbean). We were forced to dock elsewhere. We now are a 10 minute taxi%2

For those that have traveled on board Regent many times, I am hoping to receive some helpful tips on dining reservations. We were allowed only one restaurant reservation for Prime7 online once our cruise was confirmed. When is the most opportune time to book additional reservations. Much different now that when it was Radisson.

I don't think it is any different. Except that when we first cruised with Radisson we had to queue once we were on board to make "specialty" dining reservations. We were allowed one per restaurant. Same is true today.

Make your allowance and then if you are not in a butler suite just wander up to the Maître d'Hôtel's desk at the restaurant you want an additional reservation in. Time this for around 1845 - first sitting is in place by then and the Maître d'Hôtel has a little more time - ask for an other res. and make it clear if you are willing to share or not. We have not had any problem doing this on the Mariner and the Voyager BUT the Navigator's option is so small and limited that we could not get a second res. there - Prime 7 has few tables. Friends in the Master suite came to our aid and we all ate there together. Their butler took care of them but we were only in a PH and so our butler couldn't pull this off!

Dining in Prime 7 only once might be the best option, however. On our recent Navigator voyage we avoided that venue after the first night when we were sadly disappointed in our dinners.

And if you avoid Prime 7 on the Navigator you aren't left with much choice...