All Inclusive Alcoholic Drinks !

ToadOfToadHall

I've just spotted this (sorry if it's already been posted):

http://www.cunard.co.uk/campaign/inclusive-drinks/

I must say I'm surprised at this move by Cunard, it does look rather down-market to my mind.

I get a notice that the page the link goes to has been deleted. Princess has recently been implementing an "all inclusive" package, even offering it at no charge on certain slow selling cruises. I have not used it yet. I prefer the entire ship be all inclusive rather than have special packages where you still have to sign chits for every drink.

It works for me, maybe it does not work because Cunard always redirects to your own country ?

That's correct. For us in North America, that "cunard.co.uk" address turns into a "cunard.com" address and that page does not exist on "cunard.com". No surprise really, since the offer apparently only applies to UK bookings made at the Cunard Fare.

Here is a link to a page on "ask.cunard.com" Salacia posted previously which is accessible in North America.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/Drinks_pulse

Regards,

John.

I've just spotted this (sorry if it's already been posted):

http://www.cunard.co.uk/campaign/inclusive-drinks/

I must say I'm surprised at this move by Cunard, it does look rather down-market to my mind.

Yes, it's already been mentioned on here - see post No 18 onwards

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130710

Cunard's website now just has the one cruise with this: Southampton to Hamburg 4 days 6th-10th January. From £499 Cunard Fare for balcony, £249 Saver Fare Inside, £329 balcony.

Could end up being a booze cruise?

Cunard's website now just has the one cruise with this: Southampton to Hamburg 4 days 6th-10th January. From £499 Cunard Fare for balcony, £249 Saver Fare Inside, £329 balcony.

Reading the forum pages, there would appear to be fair amount of forum and ex forum and fanzine members travelling on this one. :D

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2124060

Edited by Pennbank

Reading the forum pages, there would appear to be fair amount of forum and ex forum and fanzine members travelling on this one. :D

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2124060

Good afternoon John.

You are correct. The 'We Are Cunard' Fanzine will certainly be well represented on this particular voyage. What's more is that we have got our act together for seating arrangements because we know who we are.

With regard to the inclusive drinks, that is a good piece of marketing by Cunard.

Those of us who booked before the offer paid over £120.00 less per person for our balcony staterooms so I guess that saving will pay for our drinks.

I'd missed that then.

The price of drinks on Cunard always gets a lot of whinging about on a another cruise forum, mainly from people who clearly never go into hotels or even pubs in the UK so have no idea about the price of a drink in a city centre. I wonder if this is an attempt to attract those people; i.e. ones that never spend a penny on drinks once on board because they think the prices are outrageous ?

Pol Acker is not Cunard's house wine; it is an inexpensive French sparkling white wine (made using the méthode champenoise but made far from the Champagne region) that Cunard gives away (except when they charge you for it in the bars). Pol Acker is used primarily for identifying wine snobs, not cleaning drains.

The house red and white table wines change every year, but we've liked everyone we've ever tried on QM2. Several years ago, the mystery wine at a fancy wine tasting was that year's house red. It was a Merlot blend from California and everyone liked it.

The house wines used to be from the Californian winery Wente and were great value for the quality of the wine.

Now they come from Sicily and in my humble opinion are a definite step down and not worth what they are charging.

Good afternoon John.

You are correct. The 'We Are Cunard' Fanzine will certainly be well represented on this particular voyage. What's more is that we have got our act together for seating arrangements because we know who we are.

With regard to the inclusive drinks, that is a good piece of marketing by Cunard.

Those of us who booked before the offer paid over £120.00 less per person for our balcony staterooms so I guess that saving will pay for our drinks.

£120 works out roughly at about 19 drinks at $9 inc 15% service.

The house wines used to be from the Californian winery Wente and were great value for the quality of the wine.

Now they come from Sicily and in my humble opinion are a definite step down and not worth what they are charging.

It's a complaint made on other boards about the "all inclusive" cruise lines. The "standard" or "classic" brands included in the fare leave something to be desired. Then there are "premium" brands that are available but a charge.

£120 works out roughly at about 19 drinks at $9 inc 15% service.

Well that'll do for a start John ....then of course, we'll all have a few extra $US Carnival share OBCs to add to that.

All of us at 'We are Cunard Fanzine' are quite sensible drinkers ,well travelled/well heeled folk ;) so no chance of it turning into a booze cruise for us :D

Well that'll do for a start John ....then of course, we'll all have a few extra $US Carnival share OBCs to add to that.

All of us at 'We are Cunard Fanzine' are quite sensible drinkers ,well travelled/well heeled folk ;) so no chance of it turning into a booze cruise for us :D

But the added Share benifit of $50 will only go to help with the daily Service Charge, Unless of course you remove it at the Pursers Desk.

In any event I am sure that you will have fun ! :D

Edited by Pennbank

That's correct. For us in North America, that "cunard.co.uk" address turns into a "cunard.com" address and that page does not exist on "cunard.com". No surprise really, since the offer apparently only applies to UK bookings made at the Cunard Fare.

Here is a link to a page on "ask.cunard.com" Salacia posted previously which is accessible in North America.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/Drinks_pulse

Regards,

John

John, all major Cruise lines have regional pricing. Cunard will in all probability be no exception..Brits historically have usually lost out..Due to the " ROB " rip off brits factor..Hope this time they have come out on top for once?

As for tipping, this is entirely cultural. The biggest tipping nations in the World are also the lowest wage payers. There are some parts of the the World where any offered tip would be taken with the gravest offence.

Britain has always been twixt Europe and the USA in this regard. We generally either leave the change or tip for service beyond the call of duty. Americans tip even if the service is terrible. Most Mediterraneans bribe when they arrive in order to obtain improved service. In the Far East, it is a grave insult to offer any extra money.

I get by with a mix of bribes and presents. I always travel with presents and decide in the late stages which is the most appropriate for whom.

As for automatic 'gratuities', they are simply illegal within the EU or for any cruise booking made within the EU. Consumer laws dictate that any contract has to clearly show the full cost before booking. Any extras must, by EU regulations, be 'opt-in' rather than 'opt-out'. These huge corporations flout laws and will be caught in due course.

Edited by Skipper Tim

As for tipping, this is entirely cultural. The biggest tipping nations in the World are also the lowest wage payers. There are some parts of the the World where any offered tip would be taken with the gravest offence.

Britain has always been twixt Europe and the USA in this regard. We generally either leave the change or tip for service beyond the call of duty. Americans tip even if the service is terrible. Most Mediterraneans bribe when they arrive in order to obtain improved service. In the Far East, it is a grave insult to offer any extra money.

I get by with a mix of bribes and presents. I always travel with presents and decide in the late stages which is the most appropriate for whom.

As for automatic 'gratuities', they are simply illegal within the EU or for any cruise booking made within the EU. Consumer laws dictate that any contract has to clearly show the full cost before booking. Any extras must, by EU regulations, be 'opt-in' rather than 'opt-out'. These huge corporations flout laws and will be caught in due course.

Skipper Tom, you have many statements there, and I am certain you believe all of them, although I take exception to some of your assertions. I also note that you "get by with a mix of bribes and presents. I always travel with presents and decide in the late stages which is the most appropriate for whom." While this is only my personal opinion, bribes and/or presents are not well suited to the crew members of Cunard ships. So if you wish to show your appreciation for the crew on Cunard ships, leave the H&D charge in place and add cash gratuities where you deem appropriate.

Save your 'mix of bribes and presents' for another occasion and enjoy your voyage. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Skipper Tom, you have many statements there, and I am certain you believe all of them, although I take exception to some of your assertions. I also note that you "get by with a mix of bribes and presents. I always travel with presents and decide in the late stages which is the most appropriate for whom." While this is only my personal opinion, bribes and/or presents are not well suited to the crew members of Cunard ships. So if you wish to show your appreciation for the crew on Cunard ships, leave the H&D charge in place and add cash gratuities where you deem appropriate.

Save your 'mix of bribes and presents' for another occasion and enjoy your voyage. -S.

Well said. I don't think a 'bribe' is appropriate under any circumstances and as for 'presents', I wouldn't dream of insulting a crew member on any cruise line by giving a present in lieu of cash. Fine if it was for a particular occasion, say birthday [and then it must be presumed you already know the crew member very well] or Christmas, but it would be in addition to the gratuities on my account and any little extra I might find I want to give as a personal thank you.