Question About TSA Pre Check

Keith1010

You aren't that frequent of a flyer if this was a surprise to you. Any good FF knows to have removed all bits from their bodies well in advance of the scanner. Waiting till the very end had several FF behind you rolling their eyes wondering how you got in the frequent traveler line.

Not a frequent flyer and I do this. I'm usually emptying pockets and taking the belt and jacket off while moving through the line.

Any good FF knows to have removed all bits from their bodies well in advance of the scanner.

Yep. The Pre line is seldom open at my home airport so generally while the agent is tagging my bag at check in, I use the time to empty pockets, and since my watch and belt buckle usually set off the metal detector, I take those off at that point and stash in my carry on. Jacket, if I'm wearing one, comes off as soon as I enter the security line, etc.

The surprise was that there were NO round bins. None at all.

I fly often and see this all the time when it's busy. Even the large bins are often in short supply if it's a peak travel time.

• 3 months later...

I received this from AA today:

"This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

"The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile. "

I'm not sure how to read this. Are they saying the number of travelers who will get expedited screening will decrease in general, ~or~ that it's even more important to get a KTN?

It almost sounds like Platinum FFs used to be able to get into the expedited line. I dunno...?

I appreciate someone translating this for me.

Thanks!

"This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓[emoji768] Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓[emoji768] Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

"The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓[emoji768] on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile. "

I'm not sure how to read this. Are they saying the number of travelers who will get expedited screening will decrease in general, ~or~ that it's even more important to get a KTN?

It almost sounds like Platinum FFs used to be able to get into the expedited line. I dunno...?

Thanks!

Got this too. I read it as "the number of random people getting Pre will decrease"

"This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

"The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile. "

Thanks!

I BELEIVE this means that the free pre check TSA benefit that many received for free because of AA status is being reduced. They want you to sign up for the pay program. This way you know you will still receive the benefit. My wife and I signed up for the Global Entry. IMO they are doing this to increase the revenue from the pay programs. Several months ago AA told me that the free "memberships" from the TSA was being greatly reduced.

Thanks, guys. This makes sense. (AA could have worded it much better!)

There are 4 choices on this comparison chart. Nexus is the cheapest at $50/5 years. Does it make a difference which one you choose? I'm guessing 'all roads lead to Rome', so having the KTN is what matters. ??

Nice chart/comparison. We wanted the Expedited immigration as well, so we did the Gobal Entry. If you never travel Internationally it would not be necessary. I agree all of them that have the Pre TSA check will all be the same for the Pre TSA portion.

I am so glad to see this change. After I saw this article a few weeks ago (http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/report-tsa-let-convicted-felon-through-pre-check/index.html) I wrote to my Congressmen and Senators about the security issues with people being moved into the Pre check lane from the regular lane. I had to go through all the paperwork, interviews, fingerprints, etc. for Global Entry to prove that I am not a security risk and all these others are being selected at random for Pre-check. Why have this program at all? Why I am paying for this supposedly expedited Pre check when others are getting it for free, including people that could be considered security risks?

Is there an Expedited immigration line for cruises? I've never noticed one, but then I've never looked.

I am 100% in favor of reducing that line! Eesh.

No, there's not.

We wanted it for non cruise entry into the US, but I do beleive the custom official told us they were going to have it in some of the cruise ports at some time in the future. I have never seen one at any cruise port.

Since we can't get GE within 200 miles of home, we just have the TSA Pre-Check. When it is about to expire, we'll look at GE.

Meanwhile, DS just uses his DOD ID# for his KTN.

Up next, how to use the DOD ID# to get Pre-Check when traveling with a group of 15, with a group booking. Someone else is making all the reservations. I told him to give his DOD ID# to the person doing the reservations so that he would hopefully get his pre-check.

Since we can't get GE within 200 miles of home, we just have the TSA Pre-Check. When it is about to expire, we'll look at GE.

When I got GE I couldn't do it at my home airport either. So on my next trip I intentionally scheduled a 4 hour connection at ATL, and then booked my GE interview during the layover since I had to be there anyway.

When I got my GE, my home airport's CBP did not offer the interviews. So, I made a weekend trip to Las Vegas. I got my interview, and I made enough money at craps to pay for the weekend :D

Perhaps, since the former TSA director talked about moving to having the PreCheck experience as the default in the future, perhaps the powers that be up at TSA have some ideas for further easing of some things for PreCheck folks. Maybe like easing the 3-1-1 for them??? Just a thought.

For the person with the DOD # and the group trip: Each person should have access to their flight info online, regardless of who made the reservations. Everyone has to put in their PII for their trip if it is international. Ask our group person for the PNR for you and your spouse and enter the information.

Edited by slidergirl

Perhaps, since the former TSA director talked about moving to having the PreCheck experience as the default in the future, perhaps the powers that be up at TSA have some ideas for further easing of some things for PreCheck folks. Maybe like easing the 3-1-1 for them??? Just a thought.

Pre Check pax can already leave their 3-1-1 bag in their carry on at security. If you're suggesting that they simply wouldn't have to abide by the 3-1-1 rule period, that could be an issue. Imagine filling your carry on with full sized liquids/gels, and then getting randomly selected to NOT get Pre that day. They'd have to toss all your stuff, or get your checked bag unchecked so you could put them in it.

Pre Check pax can already leave their 3-1-1 bag in their carry on at security. If you're suggesting that they simply wouldn't have to abide by the 3-1-1 rule period, that could be an issue. Imagine filling your carry on with full sized liquids/gels, and then getting randomly selected to NOT get Pre that day. They'd have to toss all your stuff, or get your checked bag unchecked so you could put them in it.

Very true.

It could be evolving that, if you've paid for one of the Trusted Traveler programs, it won't be a lottery anymore. For the GE, I had to go through a background check, then a CBP interview, then be photographed and fingerprinted. I shouldn't have to be subjected to a lottery still. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about the Kippie bag rule, but relax it and, say you can bring a gallon bag full of any size bottle… There are people in higher authority than the GRE-holding blue Smurfs we encounter at the TSA Show at the airports who actually believe things can be ratcheted down to non-hysterical levels. If someone is willing to go through the hoops for Trusted Traveler and is accepted, they should be granted a greater level of freedom with what they bring on board.

I am so glad to see this change. After I saw this article a few weeks ago (http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/report-tsa-let-convicted-felon-through-pre-check/index.html) I wrote to my Congressmen and Senators about the security issues with people being moved into the Pre check lane from the regular lane. I had to go through all the paperwork, interviews, fingerprints, etc. for Global Entry to prove that I am not a security risk and all these others are being selected at random for Pre-check. Why have this program at all? Why I am paying for this supposedly expedited Pre check when others are getting it for free, including people that could be considered security risks?

When I got GE I couldn't do it at my home airport either. So on my next trip I intentionally scheduled a 4 hour connection at ATL, and then booked my GE interview during the layover since I had to be there anyway.

My husband and I are looking into this after reading an article of the Top 10 Things that Travelers Should Do.

And then I read this article:http://airtravel.about.com/od/travelindustrynews/fl/Why-Global-Entry-Pays-For-Itself-After-Only-One-Trip.htm

Could someone tell me how long it takes for an interview and what is involved (type of questions)? Are interviews conducted in Charlotte (CLT)?

We will be flying through CLT with a 3 hour layover in October. I would love to get the GE interview then, although it would not help us when we fly back thru 2 weeks later after being overseas. It would help with 3 other overseas flights/trips that we have coming up over the next 2 years.

One thing concerns me is that the article says that you give them your passport. Do they keep it? If so, then we would not be able to continue our travel. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about

You can find interview locations here; appears there's one at CLT, but you'd have to get an appt time that worked with your schedule. You don't send them your passport. They just need it during the interview. They give it right back.

Interview took about five minutes. If you are approved, you find out very quickly and get your trusted Traveler number. You don't need to have your actual GE card to use the kiosks.

Edited by 6rugrats

Could someone tell me how long it takes for an interview and what is involved (type of questions)?

My "interview" was ridiculous. It lasted no more than 5 minutes, and I was only asked a couple questions if I recall correctly. Very innocuous questions confirming facts that were already filled out on my application, and maybe one about when was my next trip planned or something. The gentleman who "interviewed" me was very difficult to understand, due to a very thick accent, and seemed perturbed that I had to ask him to repeat himself. He spent a lot of time staring at my paperwork and them staring at me. When it was over he said nothing, just handed my passport back to me and stared some more without saying another word.

6rugrats - after reading the information on the link you provided, I was shocked to see that ATL is not included in the program. We would fly through ATL as much as we would CTL. I wonder why Atlanta is excluded?

Are you saying that you arrive in ATL from overseas? It only matters from the perspective of entering the U.S. And of course scheduling the interview.

We applied on line, paid our non refundable $100, received our application approval, and scheduled our interview all on line. Except for the interview all communication was on line. The process was impressive. From my experience the interview is less about the answers to the questions and more about evaluating whether you are being honest. Our interviewer tried to bait us with several political comments. We just answered the questions and did not share our opinions about certain things. Of course he may have just been trying to engage us in a conversation. He asked about a certain school in our area, etc. It was a very easy process and painless.

Highly recommended and nothing to be concerned about IMO.