NCL cracks me up.

johnsak123

You would think a multi million dollar company like NCL would get their website in order

If the renovations on the Gem are completed (Moderno moved, O'sheehan replaced blue lagoon) then why isn't the Gem deck plan on the NCL website changed to reflect the "new" ship

I won't even mention the fact that the 1/2/15 cruise cancelled Tortola without a replacement port. 10 day cruise with 3 ports and $100 OBC replacement. That's just BS.

And YES NCL had plenty of time to add or change the port. Whats wrong with a stop at GSC

Get with it NCL!!

I am getting a bit annoyed. OK Mainly about Tortola.

I really don't care what your deck plan says

Sorry just venting

Cheers!!

Edited by johnsak123

I wonder why some posters who say they are frequent cruisers on NCL consistently post negatively about the line. Why would anyone continue to cruise a line they clearly dislike? SMH.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't comment on anyone else's motives, but we're frequent NCL cruisers, enjoy our NCL cruises, but see substantial shortcomings in some areas of their operation. One of the most glaring deficiencies is in their telephone customer service (this is a problem in numerous industries/companies, not just cruising and NCL).

I'm of the opinion that if we keep bringing this problem to the surface, there's at least some chance NCL will eventually take steps to improve it. NCL has employees who monitor this board, and my hope is that they bring these problems to the attention of upper management.

My NCL rep yesterday told me O'Sheehans is not on the Gem. Don't know what is going on.

You raise a valid point about the lack of information in the NCL Arizona call centers and the actual shipboard happenings. The Gem did have an upgrade, it was done while the ship was sailing on two cruises which were originally not there so the ship could go in for drydock. Since the cruises didn’t sell to a good enough capacity, NCL decided to do the interior updates to the ship anyway while the ship had passengers on it. As a result, Moderno was moved to Deck 13 where the Star Bar used to be and the annex to the Cagney’s Steakhouse. Blue Lagoon was substituted and Moderno taken over completely by O’Sheehans which has a pub feel and a new bar was inserted as well on Deck 8. I don’t know why the deck plans on NCL.com haven’t been updated yet but the reps should have been informed (email is a wonderful thing and it would’ve only taken one to inform them).

I understand the gripe about Tortola... but really, a trip from the USVI back up to GSC would probably consume way too much fuel for the trip to be considered a cost-effective replacement on your itinerary, especially since there is no guarantee the weather would allow anyone off the ship at GSC. The fact that the pier in Tortola is under re-construction is not anything NCL can control. Sometimes there are unavoidable events that change the best laid plans.

As for the deck plans on the website... I believe the website will be updated when someone provides an updated set of plans that the web developers can use. These things are usually lagging behind the actual implementation by several weeks.

As for the information that the phone reps have available to them... there is no excuse for that... This is simply bad internal communication and if *we* all know about the changes made to the Gem, then by all means the reps should have been given the same information by now. They probably could use some improvement in communicating to the phone reps.

As for the deck plans on the website... I believe the website will be updated when someone provides an updated set of plans that the web developers can use. These things are usually lagging behind the actual implementation by several weeks.

I would think NCL would have been proactive about the updating to the deck plans. The Island Princess for Princess Cruises is undergoing an overhaul of its own with public spaces being eliminated in favor of more cabins and other public spaces being shifted. She’s going through quite a renovation and yet the cruise line has the updated deck plans readily available and you chose which ones to view depending on your sail date. It can be done in advance but somewhere the wires got crossed. Maybe the website update would’ve been more speedy if cabins were being involved (dread the thought… anyone for losing Spinnakers on the Gem too??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)

Not only do they need to keep the site updated, they need to get it working properly in Google Chrome. It's been more than 6 months since I've been able to get past the number of passengers on their booking page.

The worlds most popular browser by a wide margin (and yes, it's #1 in the USA too) and NCL still designs their site for IE. :rolleyes:

Edited by rajones007

Not only do they need to keep the site updated, they need to get it working properly in Google Chrome. It's been more than 6 months since I've been able to get past the number of passengers on their booking page.

The worlds most popular browser by a wide margin (and yes, it's #1 in the USA too) and NCL still designs their site for IE. :rolleyes:

I use Google Chrome and don't have a problem with their site. Perhaps it has something to do with how you've got your browser configured.

Dear rajones007,

We'd like to discuss your issues with Chrome. Can you please email us at publicrelations@ncl.com so we can be in touch?

Thank you!

Norwegian PR & E-Commerce Team

ALL RIGHT! Emailing now.

It just started last summer, right after they did some site changes. Chrome is always up-to-date, as well as Windows 7 in a squeaky clean relatively new Dell laptop. My desktop has the same issue, and about a dozen PCs at work do too.

I am using Chrome and have had no issues with their site...

Same here....no problems!

I am using Chrome and have had no issues with their site...

I can browse the site without any issue. It's the actual booking part that is funky.

Have you guys actually done a dummy booking? How far can you make it? I'm willing to wager you don't get by the number of passengers question. My laptop, my desktop, my wifes laptop, and about a dozen PCs at work all halt at the same spot. So I know it's not just me.

Even MyNCL doesn't work properly once you're logged in. I can't do it now because I don't have a cruise booked, but it was severely limited in its usefulness too. I even recall resorting to using the "IE Tab" extension just to see the mail coming into MyNCL. EDIT. Seems to me IE Tab didn't work...but I can't recall for certain. I know I had to fire up IE itself just to finish the online check-in./EDIT

EDIT2. Just got a response from NCL. It's the Ghostery extension, which is one of the few extensions that are common to all the PCs I have access to. They, NCL, plan on fixing the issue on their end.

Edited by rajones007

I can browse the site without any issue. It's the actual booking part that is funky.

Have you guys actually done a dummy booking? How far can you make it? I'm willing to wager you don't get by the number of passengers question. My laptop, my desktop, my wifes laptop, and about a dozen PCs at work all halt at the same spot. So I know it's not just me.

Even MyNCL doesn't work properly once you're logged in. I can't do it now because I don't have a cruise booked, but it was severely limited in its usefulness too. I even recall resorting to using the "IE Tab" extension just to see the mail coming into MyNCL. EDIT. Seems to me IE Tab didn't work...but I can't recall for certain. I know I had to fire up IE itself just to finish the online check-in./EDIT

EDIT2. Just got a response from NCL. It's the Ghostery extension, which is one of the few extensions that are common to all the PCs I have access to. They, NCL, plan on fixing the issue on their end.

I've done more than dummy bookings...I've done real bookings with no problems.

But you've gotten your response from NCL...I don't have the Ghostery extension installed on my computers.

Edited by njhorseman

O'Sheehans is on the Gem because a few weeks ago someone was complaining about the construction on the ship building O'Sheehans.

As far as the website..... I don't think it is fair to expect the ship model to be updated immediately but over time (a few months) the site will probably reflect O'Sheehans instead of Blue Lagoon. They are almost the same except the name and a few menu items. So I don't see it a priority to update it immediately. Its not like they added an entire new deck or something LOL. IMHO is almost just a name change with different décor and some new menu items.

Remember the threads and debate with NCL showing old lobster dishes and jumbo shrimp? Same concept. It takes time and money to update photos, etc. Yes they should do it but its not on my radar as a major complaint.

As far as the NCL employee not knowing this. That is sad and unfortunate he/she is not trained properly.

As far as loyal NCL posters complaining about things......its a free country and a free message board. It is cruise critic after all ;)

Edited by david_sobe

I just emailed the public relations because 90% of the time I am unable to do a mock booking past the selection of category. I select the category that shows the per person fare, but when it goes to the next page it most often says there are no cabins available in that category. The page before does not say "Sold Out" though. Crazy!!!

I too have the same issue, but for me it is not a constant. I would say 75-80% of the time the site seems to freeze up when I am trying to pick a cabin category. Not sure you can even call that a mock booking because the system does not let me get that far. I too use Google Chrome.

Rochelle

WOW, I purposely asked the NCL rep about O'Sheehans because we enjoyed eating there on the Breakaway and she flat out told me that it was not on the Gem and that it was still Blue Lagoon. It makes me leary to want to book through her since I asked her other questions and now I don't know if she knows what she is talking about. She has been with NCL over a year so it's not like she is brand new.

WOW, I purposely asked the NCL rep about O'Sheehans because we enjoyed eating there on the Breakaway and she flat out told me that it was not on the Gem and that it was still Blue Lagoon. It makes me leary to want to book through her since I asked her other questions and now I don't know if she knows what she is talking about. She has been with NCL over a year so it's not like she is brand new.

She's probably going by the out-of-date deck plans. ;)

My PCC tells me flat out that I often get information faster than she does. Thanks Cruise Critic. :)

I use Chrome and I am having the same problem but I don't have the Ghostery extension... :(

I wonder why some posters who say they are frequent cruisers on NCL consistently post negatively about the line. Why would anyone continue to cruise a line they clearly dislike? SMH.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While we have enjoyed our 32 NCL cruises (some more than other), I've had one too many awful shore side experiences to count. The fix for us was to have our travel agent deal with the crappy NCL sales agents. Fixed the problem for us. That's how some of us who post negatively about NCL's customer service continue to cruise on NCL ships which have been at least satisfactory to excellent vacation experiences.