Solstice Norovirus Outbreak

Ronin23

Am due to cruise on Solstice tomorrow and have been advised boarding times delayed due to a number of guests affected with gastrointestinal illness on current cruise. Any one heard more about this?

No, but we got the same call about our Reflection cruise tomorrow. Told us to arrive late so they can do extra cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is not uncommon. They will do a deep cleaning to help ensure the next batch of guests does not catch it. Just make sure you wash your hands often and enjoy your cruise

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Am due to cruise on Solstice tomorrow and have been advised boarding times delayed due to a number of guests affected with gastrointestinal illness on current cruise. Any one heard more about this?

We got it too"

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your Sunday, December 21 sailing onboard Celebrity Solstice out of Sydney. During the ship's last sailing, a number of guests experienced a gastrointestinal illness. We will conduct enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your cruise. Therefore, your check-in and boarding time has been revised. Please note the following appointed check-in times, and kindly arrive at the time that corresponds to your deck number. Any guests arriving before their appointed check-in time will be asked to return at their assigned time in order to avoid congestion in the terminal. Please also note that during the sanitation the Cruise Terminal at Sydney will be closed until 1:00pm.

Check-in Appointment:

Deck 12 - 1:00pm

Deck 11 - 1:00pm

Deck 10 - 2:00pm

Deck 9 - 3:00pm

Deck 8 - 4:00pm

Deck 7 - 5:00pm

Deck 6 & 3 - 5:45pm

Guests staying in a Suite, Aqua Class or Concierge Class as well as our loyal Captain’s Club members of the Zenith, Elite Plus, Elite and Select levels can check-in any time at their convenience between the hours of 1:00pm and 6:30pm.

We are also sanitizing guest staterooms, and anticipate your room to be ready for your residence from 5:30pm onwards. We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your understanding.

See you on board (eventually), cheers, Rob

I was on the Solstice for the cruise that ended before this one.

I lost count of the number of people trying to go into the Oceanview Cafe without sanitizing their hands.

Luckily the staff who were standing outside the Cafe did tell them that they must sanitize before going in.

It's these ignorant people who don't sanitize who are to blame when this happens.

I lost count of the number of people trying to go into the Oceanview Cafe without sanitizing their hands.

Luckily the staff who were standing outside the Cafe did tell them that they must sanitize before going in.

It's these ignorant people who don't sanitize who are to blame when this happens.

Probably a good idea to sanitize hands on entering the Oceanview Care and resanitize hands after getting your food at he buffet but before beginning to eat.

Also, the red WetOnes is effective against norovirus but not the yellow or green, nor regular Purell. I understand the ship's Purell has a different formula that is effective.

Edited by emileg

Just been told that there were 2 crew & 60 guests ill.

Didn't affect us and we had a fabulous cruise. We didn't use the ocean view cafe much but our daughter ate there every night.

They are deep cleaning today so your cruise should fine.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on iPhone

Sometimes it is not ignorance. I wash thoroughly with soap and water before every meal and touch nothing until I eat because it does a better job than sanitizer, and I am allergic to hand sanitizer. Allergies to sanitizer is quite common. Ease up on the judgement and assumption of ignorance. It may be the case for some but not all. As a mild germaphobe, I would never eat after just using sanitizer. Its not nearly effective enough for me!

Sometimes it is not ignorance. I wash thoroughly with soap and water before every meal and touch nothing until I eat because it does a better job than sanitizer, and I am allergic to hand sanitizer. Allergies to sanitizer is quite common. Ease up on the judgement and assumption of ignorance. It may be the case for some but not all. As a mild germaphobe, I would never eat after just using sanitizer. Its not nearly effective enough for me!

Ditto.

Probably a good idea to sanitize hands on entering the Oceanview Care and resanitize hands after getting your food at he buffet but before beginning to eat.

Also, the red WetOnes is effective against norovirus but not the yellow or green, nor regular Purell. I understand the ship's Purell has a different formula that is effective.

I respectfully disagree with one of your comments. The red WetOnes are no more effective at killing noro than any other color. If you review the ingredients you will see that there are no 'active' ingredient differences - just small differences in non-active (ie, non-germ killing) ingredients to make one a little less harsh than others, or for a nicer smell in the case of the yellow ones. No hand wipes kill noro. It is certainly better to use them than nothing, but they do not kill noro. The more advanced versions of the Purell sanitizer do a better job at killing noro than their predecessors (and the advanced version is now available over the counter as well as on the ship), but according to the CDC, even they do not kill it 100%. Sadly, unless you were to use a bleach wipe on your hands (which is certainly not recommended!) you cannot be 100% sure of killing noro. Good hand washing coupled with a squirt of the advanced Purell is your best bet.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I just don't want people buying the red ones thinking they are safe; my information tells me they are not.

I respectfully disagree with one of your comments. The red WetOnes are no more effective at killing noro than any other color. If you review the ingredients you will see that there are no 'active' ingredient differences - just small differences in non-active (ie, non-germ killing) ingredients to make one a little less harsh than others, or for a nicer smell in the case of the yellow ones. No hand wipes kill noro. It is certainly better to use them than nothing, but they do not kill noro. The more advanced versions of the Purell sanitizer do a better job at killing noro than their predecessors (and the advanced version is now available over the counter as well as on the ship), but according to the CDC, even they do not kill it 100%. Sadly, unless you were to use a bleach wipe on your hands (which is certainly not recommended!) you cannot be 100% sure of killing noro. Good hand washing coupled with a squirt of the advanced Purell is your best bet.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I just don't want people buying the red ones thinking they are safe; my information tells me they are not.

I wish they would put hand washing stations in the cafe!

Just been told that there were 2 crew & 60 guests ill.

Didn't affect us and we had a fabulous cruise. We didn't use the ocean view cafe much but our daughter ate there every night.

They are deep cleaning today so your cruise should fine.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on iPhone

Cheers Benjoon. Quite a small percentage but won't be taking any chances and will be sanitising like there is no tomorrow....

Well, not one for them gave that reason for not wanting to sanitize.

After hearing some of them just say 'No thanks' when offered the hand sanitizer, I would say that it was ignorance.

Not argumentative at all. I really appreciate the update. :) A recent search confirms your information. I stand corrected and apologize for spreading misinformation based on old data or legend.

HOWEVER, the red WetOnes, from our experience, are really good at removing some common stains from clothing if used soon after acquiring the stain. So, there is still is some redeeming use for the product.

Edited by emileg

I wish Celebrity would do like HAL and serve guests at the buffet. This would help with the spread of germs, no doubt. Another help would be to eat with a utensil and not your hands...hand sanitizer or not.

I am disgusted by the number of people that do not use hand sanitzer and just walk off the elevator directly into a buffet line and start touching the serving utensils. You may not care about your health but consider those that may not have as high of an immunity as you do.

Edited by floralscent

Just off the Solstice today and they seemed to be taking pretty extreme precautions, ie staff serving food at the buffet rather than help yourself, all books removed from the library, daily crosswords/newspapers held behind the counter rather than on open stands, hand sanitising everywhere. We were told only around 2% of guests were sick. Still, some passengers don't comply, eg sneaking up to the water station and filling up their water bottle while staff aren't watching.

Arrived home today after a wonderful first cruise, we did hear about the outbreak but did not know anyone who got it. We ate in both the dining room and OV Cafe and always washed our hands well with soap and hot water before and after eating. I too was shocked at the ppl who wouldn't sanitise, and leant all over the counters, touching food and coughing into their hand then picking up the serving utensils. I was told that some passengers from the Princess Cruise that had over 300 cases who joined our cruise were thought to have brought it on board in Auckland!

Although I have nothing to compare this cruise too being a first timer, I thought everything about it was First Class and will definitely be going on Celebrity again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish Celebrity would do like HAL and serve guests at the buffet. This would help with the spread of germs, no doubt. Another help would be to eat with a utensil and not your hands...hand sanitizer or not.

I am disgusted by the number of people that do not use hand sanitzer and just walk off the elevator directly into a buffet line and start touching the serving utensils. You may not care about your health but consider those that may not have as high of an immunity as you do.

I'm more disgusted by those people who walk right out of the bathroom and straight into the buffet without either hand washing or sanitising. For that reason I hold serving utensils with a tissue rather than bare hands. Not ideal and maybe not that effective but worth making the effort. We spent 6 weeks on the Solstice earlier this year and she is one of the cleanest ships we have ever been on. The Chief Housekeeper and her assistants were everywhere constantly checking the public areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL only maintain counter service for the first 48hrs of every cruise in an attempt to isolate the Noro-carriers from others.

I wish Celebrity would go one step further and eliminate self-service altogether but that is expecting too much, isn't it......?

I'm more disgusted by those people who walk right out of the bathroom and straight into the buffet without either hand washing or sanitising. For that reason I hold serving utensils with a tissue rather than bare hands. Not ideal and maybe not that effective but worth making the effort. We spent 6 weeks on the Solstice earlier this year and she is one of the cleanest ships we have ever been on. The Chief Housekeeper and her assistants were everywhere constantly checking the public areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too get angry at this, as with the parents who do not supervise their children properly: kids touching food, and kids going straight from toilet to outside because parents arent there to make sure hands get washed.

I have read about the airborne virus particles if someone is sick in a public toilet, about infection through touching nose, not just hands. I am not germophobe, but will avoid public toilets, even it is a long hike back to cabin for this old lady! Our Celebrity Solstice cruise is a dream trip and we will not let illness ruin it !

We plan on taking a box of disposable food handling gloves for our upcoming cruise! (You can buy them in bulk from SAMs or Costco.) We have always used hand sanitizer before and after getting our food from the buffet but this time we are going to use the gloves and the sanitizer and hope for the best! :eek: