Pinnacle Free cruise seems a RipOff

padrek

I recently made Pinnacle after "donating" $150K+ to RCI and received my $2400 "Free" 7 day cruise certificate. Then I tried to use it for a seven day "free" cruise, only to be told that the $2400 is deducted from some "standard" rate only shown on the reservationists computer. It matters not that the website shows, for example, a price at/near $2400, which thus should qualify for a free cruise- THEIR standard rate the reservationist says shows a rate at least twice what the web is showing - so deduct my $2400 from their "secret" rate and the cruise will COST me $1000 - about what I can buy it on the web for. Confusing - you bet. Suffice it to say that reservationist could not find me a cruise between now and July1st which would cost me less than $850 out of pocket - about the same as I could buy the trip on the web today.

These are the NEW rules fostered I assume by the same RCI bean counters who made the Future Cruise Credit program almost worthless some months ago by eliminating all its attractive features.

They seem to work so hard to drive passengers away for the sake of short term gain.

I recently made Pinnacle after "donating" $150K+ to RCI and received my $2400 "Free" 7 day cruise certificate. Then I tried to use it for a seven day "free" cruise, only to be told that the $2400 is deducted from some "standard" rate only shown on the reservationists computer. It matters not that the website shows, for example, a price at/near $2400, which thus should qualify for a free cruise- THEIR standard rate the reservationist says shows a rate at least twice what the web is showing - so deduct my $2400 from their "secret" rate and the cruise will COST me $1000 - about what I can buy it on the web for. Confusing - you bet. Suffice it to say that reservationist could not find me a cruise between now and July1st which would cost me less than $850 out of pocket - about the same as I could buy the trip on the web today.

These are the NEW rules fostered I assume by the same RCI bean counters who made the Future Cruise Credit program almost worthless some months ago by eliminating all its attractive features.

They seem to work so hard to drive passengers away for the sake of short term gain.

Had the same problem. Just made Pinnacle in November and was researching for our free cruise. Almost all rates are BOGOHO rates and Royal makes you take the $2,400 off the total fare for two and does not allow you to include the BOGOHO discount. That made the price a bit higher than what we wanted to pay.

I had to go digging around on the Royal website until I found a cruise that was $1,129 each for a D3 balcony with no BOGOHO involved. The $2,400 credit took care of the $2,258 fare for the two of us and we just had to pay the tax and fees and prepay the gratuities (required). The drive out price was $396.50 for our "free" Pinnacle cruise which I think is pretty good for a 7 night cruise with a balcony cabin. It was going to cost us around $1,200 on some of the other cruises I was interested in due to BOGOHO. I just had to do some extra research on Royal's website to find something that we're happy with.

Tim

It is truly unfortunate that Royal refuses to use a realistic base price to determine the benefit of the "free cruise" certificate. It makes you wonder why they are so willing to throw Pinnacles under the bus. So you have to ask yourself, how do they really view their most loyal customers. There is no possible explanation that can make Royal look good on this issue. The question is, do they really care?

I recently made Pinnacle after "donating" $150K+ to RCI and received my $2400 "Free" 7 day cruise certificate.

I need to ask what did you get for 'donating' $150k+ to RCI? I assume many cruises with food and beverages included didn't you? That's not donating in my book. Donating in my book is giving money to a worthy cause for no reward. You SPENT money on cruises on which you wished to sail and enjoyed the facilities provided for the money paid. Don't make it sound as though you did RCI a favour and now expect something in return. Your benefit from RCI is a bonus not a direct result of a donation.

It is truly unfortunate that Royal refuses to use a realistic base price to determine the benefit of the "free cruise" certificate. It makes you wonder why they are so willing to throw Pinnacles under the bus. So you have to ask yourself, how do they really view their most loyal customers. There is no possible explanation that can make Royal look good on this issue. The question is, do they really care?

Simple answer.....no!!:mad:

I need to ask what did you get for 'donating' $150k+ to RCI? I assume many cruises with food and beverages included didn't you? That's not donating in my book. Donating in my book is giving money to a worthy cause for no reward. You SPENT money on cruises on which you wished to sail and enjoyed the facilities provided for the money paid. Don't make it sound as though you did RCI a favour and now expect something in return. Your benefit from RCI is a bonus not a direct result of a donation.

Well said!

I think the OP did do Royal Caribbean a huge favor. The favor was choosing Royal Caribbean for $150,000 worth of cruises when he could have just as easily sailed on Princess, Holland America, Norwegian, Disney or any other cruise line of his choosing.

It is not as if Royal Caribbean has the only fleet sailing. There is plenty of competition out there. Pinnacle levels have shown an amazing level of loyalty to Royal Caribbean and they should be treated with respect by receiving what they are promised without strings attached.

It's not a matter of expecting something in return. This is something that was set up by C&A back on January 21, 2011 when Pinnacle Club was initially established. It was to be a "reward" for their most loyal customers. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, they have now turned this reward into a meaningless piece of paper.

Maybe this BOGOHO will go away at some point and they can get back to realistic pricing.

It's been 8 months now, and they are starting a new one in January. I think they like it. BOGOHO is good for them - it does not really lower prices, and since it's a "special" price, it stops a bunch of combinations with other perks.

It's been 8 months now, and they are starting a new one in January. I think they like it. BOGOHO is good for them - it does not really lower prices, and since it's a "special" price, it stops a bunch of combinations with other perks.

It also makes the general public feel they are getting a deal!

I used the word "donate" tongue in cheek, just as others took it. I certainly don't need peteukmcr to remind me that I was fed, accommodated etc. in return for my $150K. The question is - the benefit is supposed to be a "free" seven day cruise, valued up to $2400, and now with their new rules RCI inflates the cost of the cruise to essentially double what you can buy it for yourself on the web, then deducts the $2400 and you wind up paying just a few hundred less than you would have paid without the Pinnacle "Free Cruise". To me this seems to be "bait and switch".

I know exactly the struggle that you are dealing with. Just this week

I worked on getting my free cruise. They certainly make it difficult

with the BOGO sale and not being able to use any discounts. But,

hey, it's their rules. I have 5 cruises booked in 2015. The one I

wanted to apply it to, because of their rules, I would have to pay

more than what I was already paying. In the end, I took a credit

of $1600 towards a cruise I already had booked ( and somehow that

was using the full $2400). Based on what I have planned for 2015

that was my best option.

I promised myself ,to plan better/smarter for my 1050 cruise but to

be honest I don't know what I could have differently.

Perhaps if we knew ahead of time, like a year, the rules were changing we would not have planned our whole year in advance and booked our cruises.:rolleyes:

Now to find something that will work with what we have already booked but Not made Final Payment on yet and all trying to be within their time span........!!

Just when we get to PC it is not so much a perk but will be a frustration.

Edited by CVU

Perhaps if we knew ahead of time, like a year, the rules were changing we would not have planned our whole year in advance and booked our cruises.:rolleyes:

Now to find something that will work with what we have already booked but Not made Final Payment on yet and all trying to be within their time span........!!

Just when we get to PC it is not so much a perk but will be a frustration.

I had already made final payment. They gave me a credit on my credit

card.

For those interested, here is the fine print on the Certificate that is issued when you have earned your Complimentary Cruise at 700, 1050, 1400, etc:

Certificate Terms and Conditions:

This Certificate is valid for complimentary cruise fare of one double-occupancy stateroom on a Royal Caribbean International cruise in the stateroom category specified in the Cruise Certificate Details section, up to the stated value (the “Cruise”). Guests will be required to prepay all taxes, fees, port expenses and stateroom, head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter gratuities. This Certificate is redeemable only by the person named on the Certificate and is non-transferable. Certificate cannot be combined with other promotions or Crown & Anchor Society benefits. One Cruise per household.

Certificate redemption is subject to stateroom availability at the time of the redemption request and approval of Royal Caribbean Redemption request must be submitted to Royal Caribbean no less than ten (10) days prior to sailing. If you have already booked or reserved your Cruise through another channel, this Certificate is null and void. Certificate is applicable to a new or existing cruise booking that meets the restrictions stated in the Cruise Certificate Details; cruises within final payment are ineligible.

Prior to contacting us, please select your ship and sailing date based on the Cruise Certificate Detail. Changes, transfers or cancellations are not permitted for any reason once the reservation has been made. Guest will not receive a refund or credit of any kind for a cancellation or change. At the time of the redemption request, Royal Caribbean will determine the value of the requested Cruise based on current prevailing rates. Certificate applies to the lowest available stateroom in the category identified on this Certificate. If the current prevailing rate of the cruise is more than the maximum value of this certificate then Guest must pay the difference. Guest can upgrade to a higher category by paying of the difference between the current prevailing rate of the upgraded stateroom and the stated value of the Cruise; upgrades are subject to availability.

Once the redemption request is approved by Royal Caribbean, a representative will contact Guest to confirm the reservation. Cruise does not include air or ground transportation to the port of embarkation or items of personal nature such as taxes and fees, shore excursions, beverages, gratuities, photographs, medical services, etc. All rules that apply to guests purchasing a cruise apply to the Certificate holder, including the terms and conditions listed in the brochures and Cruise Ticket Contract.

This Certificate may not be given, bartered, or sold. Royal Caribbean International is not responsible for and will not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed certificates.

I used the word "donate" tongue in cheek, just as others took it. I certainly don't need peteukmcr to remind me that I was fed, accommodated etc. in return for my $150K. The question is - the benefit is supposed to be a "free" seven day cruise, valued up to $2400, and now with their new rules RCI inflates the cost of the cruise to essentially double what you can buy it for yourself on the web, then deducts the $2400 and you wind up paying just a few hundred less than you would have paid without the Pinnacle "Free Cruise". To me this seems to be "bait and switch".

Well said. :p

So in other words if I am reading all the posts correctly, including tax, port fees, restrictions on sailings and cabin booked, prepaid gratuities (this I think is the only one fair)..............it will still cost over $1000 for a free pinnacle cruise.

So it really is not free.

Ok, I will never have to worry.

So in the distant future when I reach my highest level (Diamond +) I will just enjoy the pin and drinks.

Sea Ya

Padrek, there are those that just like to wordsmith.

DW and I totally understood what you meant and agree. What RCI has done to the Pinnacle level send a clear message to us in the lower tiers and helps loosen the bonds of brand loyalty.

And yes, sure does have the look and feel of 'bait & switch'.

JKrise

Edited by JKrise