Looking for opinions

nolesrule

So, we need to cancel the family cruise in March because the schedule isn't working out. Instead, we're going to book something for our anniversary (and my parents are going to take the kids in the RV while we're gone.

So, I'm looking for thoughts and opinions. We've narrowed it down to 2 choices...

9 Nights Liberty Bermuda/Caribbean out of NJ

• Bermuda (new), St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee (new)
  • 4 sea days
  • 6 vacation days needed
  • 1 hour drive to port
  • JS $5655 ($314/pp/pn)

7 Nights Grandeur Bermuda out of Baltimore

• Bermuda (new), docked for 2 nights
  • 3 sea days
  • 5 vacation days needed
  • 3.5 hour drive to port
  • JS $4781 ($341/pp/pn) or
  • GS $5746 ($410/pn/pp)

Prices include taxes and fees, but not gratuities. We've been on Freedom and Enchantment, so we know more or less what the ships are like already.

I'm fairly certain that the absolute cost of the 9 nighter in a JS will cost us more than 7 nighter in a GS when you account for the free CL booze on Grandeur. :-)

Edited by nolesrule

I personally would not do either of those voyagers.

They both look unappealing..

Thanks for your opinion.

I guess I should clarify that I'm looking for opinions on which one would be preferable, not whether you would do them at all. We're limited by various work commitments and so those are the only 2 cruises that work within the dates we need that don't require the added costs of flying, rental cars and hotels. We've done plenty of Western and Eastern Caribbean out of Florida, so these are both something different for us.

What month? We went Bermuda once the end of May and while it is so beautiful it was too cool for swimming on and off the ship. We did a glass bottom boat tour and there wasn't nearly the sea life we have seen in the Caribbean. We loved Elbow beach( I believe that was the name) but the water was cold and there were a lot of Portugese Man of War jellyfish there and a person in our party was stung by one. I would still like to go back to Bermuda one day but would def.go later in the summer. I would choose the cruise with the other Carib. ports added.

I'd go with the 9N on Liberty for the extra days, the ship, and the chance for you to check out Bermuda and Labadee.

Some of my extended family took the 9N itinerary last summer on the Explorer. They loved it and couldn't say enough good things about the experience. They especially pointed out how they loved the extra two days.

I would pick Liberty. We have done several of these on Explorer and loved them.

As much as I love Bermuda, I love to visit several ports. Love St Maarten, San Juan. Labadee is a very relaxing day on the beach.

Liberty has also more choices for whole family too.

I would choose Liberty as well because of the 9 days and the convenience of the departure port. We live in NJ as well (up North in our case) and we love it when we have the opportunity to sail out of NYC or NJ.

If I was going to do all Bermuda, I might choose NCL Breakaway out of NYC. if available at that time. We did that and loved it. But you might prefer to stick with RCCL.

Have a great time whatever you decide!

I have been to Bermuda twice and love the island. [once from Baltimore and once from NJ] I think 2 adults would have an excellent time in Bermuda. However, I do not like the Baltimore port times.

Typically the GOTS arrives at 3 pm on a Sunday at the Royal dockyard. [Going down the Chesapeake Bay takes extra time.] That is too late to do anything that day and there is not much to do at the Dockyard. The excellent transportation system on Bermuda runs an abbreviated schedule on Sundays and taxi charge a 25% surcharge. :eek: Sometimes they have a dockyard party--so make sure you do good research.

Also, the Enchantment is bigger than the Grandeur. By being stretched Enchantment has a large pool deck and a Boleros lounge--which is missing on GOTS. I think you would notice the difference, we did.

If you would like to go to Bermuda find a cruise from NJ. You get 3 full days on the island.

Your Liberty itinerary sounds good. I have been to each of those ports several times and always find something fun and different from the last time to do.

finally, [sorry you asked for my opinion--never afraid to give it] I always go for the longest cruise I can work into my schedule and afford. 9 days gives you time to relax and recharge.

Trust your fellow Hackettstown resident! Take the Liberty out of Bayonne!

We did it on the Explorer in 2009 and loved it! We had enough time in Bermuda to see what we wanted to see and we really enjoyed the extra sea days!

grandeur is smaller though and Bermuda gets less kids on board I think. However, if that's not an issue, go for the Liberty!

Cheryl

I would choose Liberty as well because of the 9 days and the convenience of the departure port. We live in NJ as well (up North in our case) and we love it when we have the opportunity to sail out of NYC or NJ.

If I was going to do all Bermuda, I might choose NCL Breakaway out of NYC. if available at that time. We did that and loved it. But you might prefer to stick with RCCL.

Have a great time whatever you decide!

Hackettstown is North Jersey! Northwest to be exact!! Loved living there for 35 years!

I also vote for Liberty, for both the ship (Liberty is my favorite) and the itinerary (new ports and 2 of my favorites--St. Martin and Labadee). Not sure what you guys like to do on cruises, but the second one sounds kind of boring. I"m sure Bermuda is lovely, but the Liberty cruise allows you to see it, plus other ports. Labadee is a great beach day.

I'm sure you would have a great time on either cruise, but I think Liberty offers more options.

Either way, have a great time!

Hackettstown is North Jersey! Northwest to be exact!! Loved living there for 35 years!

Ha! Thanks for that correction! You can tell I grew up in Queens. Just checked the map. It is over 40 miles a bit south but mostly west of me and but definitely Northern NJ. :)

We love Bermuda and have enjoyed several cruises to that beautiful locale.

There is never enough time there!

That being said, If we could choose between a 7 night cruise that only goes to Bermuda or a 9 night cruise that still gets us to Bermuda, we would lean towards the 9 night for more vacation time. Also, in your case, you would visit 2 new places.

We have sailed on may of the RCCL ships in most of the different classes but not on either Granduer or Liberty. Therefore, I can only opine on the trip, not the ship.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time!

Ha! Thanks for that correction! You can tell I grew up in Queens. Just checked the map. It is over 40 miles a bit south but mostly west of me and but definitely Northern NJ. :)

LOL!!! No excuses!!! I grew up in the Bronx!!!!

Did you know that every plain and peanut M&M is made in Hackettstown, NJ? The first Miss America was from Hackettstown, NJ and the only other town by the same name is Hacketstown, Ireland!!!!

Just a little trivia for the day!

Cheryl