NEW POLICY - No More On Board Announcements!

Rewind

On our January 3rd cruise on Independence of the Seas, during the muster drill the captain announced that there is a new policy in place by Royal Caribbean.

There will no longer be any ship wide announcements unless it is for ship safety.

This didn't quite sink in until a few days into the cruise when it was blissfully quiet. There are no more "Bingo Bingo Bingo" calls, no more "Come to the port shopping show that starts in five minutes" interruptions, and no more "Come to the relaxing spa for the raffle" disturbances. It was actually so quiet that I was missing the info for disembarking in the port stops.

Overall I think it is a great change but I'm hoping that maybe more info will be available on the digital signage around the ship to fill in the gaps.

There was nothing... no daily announcements, no noon announcements.

The only thing we heard was on a few of the busy times in the Windjammer, there were localized "Please free up the table as soon as you are done" announcements within the Windjammer. The other announcement we heard was during disembarkation that the ship was releasing groups x-xx. The rest of the week we heard nothing.

Edited by Rewind

There was nothing... no daily announcements, no noon announcements....

I think I'd miss the Captain's noon announcements. I find that info interesting, but if they could put that info on the interactive TV, I can see how it would be less intrusive to others.

I think I'd miss the Captain's noon announcements.

I agree. I like hearing what the captain has to say.

The captains need to know that we really don't care about the longitude and latitude of the ship. Throw in some simple ship or port trivia instead!

Some people care..I find that stuff interesting...

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Our Recent “B2B” Freedom/Explorer cruises had the captain’s daily talk, CD’s daily talk and port shopping non stop talk all on different channels and playing all day ( and night).

If the change is fleet wide, I'll miss the captain's noon announcement but admit I often had a hard time hearing it because of speaker system quality or other nearby noise.

M

I kind of like the announcements. :(

Me too, darn. :( I mean seriously, HOW much could it possibly bother someone to hear a 30 second announcement. I kinda liked knowing what was going on because there were often times we say "HEY, I didn't know that was happening right now" and off we would go. :p

I am sure that people b*tched enough to get those stopped. SMDH

Our first five cruises were on Celebrity so I thought no announcements was the norm.:D

I've been able to tune them out on three other lines but will say that, "get your pancakes and sausages" all the time by one CD became a bit annoying.

Loved the captains announcements on Navigator last May. He had the best, happy greeting. Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning! and then a brief announcement. There were times when I thought I was hearing an announcement in the hall, open my door to listen and it would be over. I thought my speaker was broken, but attendant told me "no more general announcements". Some cruisers don't spend much time in their cabins or watch TV, so that's why we have to keep the compass & a highlighter as we are out & about.