Is It worth getting off the ship in Belize?

We have never been to Belize before and our upcoming cruise stops there. We cruise for the ships and some sailings we never once step off the ship the whole time. If we do get off the ship it's only to see what's directly at the pier grab a souvenir and get back on. We do enjoy a good beach or a snorkel trip every so often but only excursions thru Royal. Iv read a lot of mixed reviews about Belize, so I'm asking should we stay on the ship or get off? And if we get off any recommendations what we should do? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was wondering the same thing a couple of months ago. We did get of the ship and I'm so glad we did. We hired a private driver for the day and went to Altun Ha. Bert Adventure Tours. He has a Facebook account.

He was informative, friendly and had us back to the port with plenty of time to have lunch and shop.

Belize is a mixed bag. The tender experience can be off putting for some. The port area isn't exactly beautiful either.

BUT... The snorkeling and diving is great. There are some gorgeous little acted less than 45 minutes from port. If you're willing to travel inland an hour or so the Mayan ruins are spectacular, and tours are often guided by Mayan descendants. And even though I thought I would hate it we booked a ship excursion to the Belize zoo which ended up being a favorite--even in the rain!

Belize is less polished, but some of us it love the country just for that reason.

We love Belize. We booked excursions to some of the atolls like Goff's Caye, a really small 2 acre island with spectacular snorkeling through Eco Tours. They know what they are doing, have to have good reps in order to exist.

Great lobster lunch and you feel totally like you're on a deserted island. It does have a restroom with flush toilets (run on batteries:D) We liked it so much, we will return there next year....it was great. There are other things to do such as cave tubing that we hear is excellent...do get off...just plan well and you should be fine.

Well there you go, Kassimer1 says it all.

Edited by BecciBoo

I'm leaving tomorrow on LOS for Belize and Cozmel. This is my 2nd time in both and our group will be cave tubing in Belize again. I also chose to do the ATV excursion along with it. The outfit we use tells you the history of the area as we travel through to the put in site.

We did RCCL's river excursion up the New River and saw all kinds of wild life. Had lunch at a local's place, very nice. Ended up at Altun Ha. After that, bus ride back to the pier thru banana plantations with a wonderful guide. Would do it again!

Rick and Deirdra

A few years ago my husband and I took a private excursion on Roatan and snorkeled. It was fantastic! Just do your research here and on tripadvisor to find a reputable guide/driver. A private company won't stay in business long if they ever have someone miss the ship.

We have never been to Belize before and our upcoming cruise stops there. We cruise for the ships and some sailings we never once step off the ship the whole time. If we do get off the ship it's only to see what's directly at the pier grab a souvenir and get back on. We do enjoy a good beach or a snorkel trip every so often but only excursions thru Royal. Iv read a lot of mixed reviews about Belize, so I'm asking should we stay on the ship or get off? And if we get off any recommendations what we should do? Thanks!

I haven't been but from what I have read I would stay on the ship. Or at least take a Rccl run excursion. Maybe see the port. Either way be safe.😎

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our usual thing is to walk into town to explore the local scene. We did that in Belize and would not do it again.

First, there is nothing in town of interest.

Second, we live in NYC and have no problem walking around the city. It's a safe place. Even for us seasoned New Yorkers, however, the walk from the port to town was sketchy. Want to be confronted by someone with a snake around their neck. Frankly, not my thing. It was dirty and grimy. The one positive thing we did was to buy some hand made crafts from a little girl by the side of the road.

If you are not doing a ship tour, I would say to limit yourself so the controlled shopping area at the port.

Edited by yogimax

Our usual thing is to walk into town to explore the local scene. We did that in Belize and would not do it again.

First, there is nothing in town of interest.

Second, we live in NYC and have no problem walking around the city. It's a safe place. Even for us seasoned New Yorkers, however, the walk from the port to town was sketchy. Want to be confronted by someone with a snake around their neck. Frankly, not my thing. It was dirty and grimy. The one positive thing we did was to buy some hand made crafts from a little girl by the side of the road.

If you are not doing a ship tour, I would say to limit yourself so the controlled shopping area at the port.

Being from NJ we think nothing of walking around Manhattan but if you as New Yorkers are telling me to stay on the ship or just directly at the pier then I think I'm gonna listen! Thanks for your honest advice!

We have been to Belize a few times, my Hubby did a horse-riding excursion with RCL which he enjoyed. While he did that, I hired a female taxi driver to walk me around town for an hour -- she was amazing and it was great to see the town from her point of view. A mother of 6 children, this young beautiful woman (29 years old) showed me their school and library with pride. She deftly handled all the people trying to braid my hair or sell me something.

I wanted my hubby to see the town as well so the next time we headed out ourselves -- mistake. Some of the people were quite aggressive and the safest place to walk was the middle of the street.

We now stay on the ship and watch the tender boats go back and forth.

I recommend ship sponsored tours or stay in port area.

Kathy

The tender ride is one of the longest in the cruise industry. Select excursions would make it worth it but do not bother if otherwise. It is nothing but a T shirt stand (you better Belize it) and walking outside the gate is a very bad idea. I remember one time we went by a school and stopped at the stop light, all the little kids waved and then when our bus started rolling past them I looked back and saw that they then began flipping us off..... funny stuff but I got the message.

Edited by rolloman

The port itself is not the best and I would not just walk around Belize city. That said we have been there twice on a cranival cruise. Our first was with our five kids ranging in age at the time 14 to 3. I researched everything. We finally settled on a swim with the Rays and an afternoon on caye caulker. It was so beautiful. The snorkeling was utterly amazing! The guides were amazing to our older three kids (14,12 and 10). The island was so simple and sweet. Water amazing!! Lunch was fantastic! Second time we went in 2011 for our oldest graduation cruise. This time we only had our three oldes (18,16 and 14). This his time we just wanted to get to caye caulker so we hired a water taxi before we left the states. Yes, walking to the side where the water taxis are May be a unsettling........just people asking to take you in tours. Our 16 year daughter was super hot walking there so we went and sat in the customs area. They were so kind and got her water. We again had a great day. Caye caulker is worth the visit!!

Book something through a tour company with good reviews or thru the ship😊

Take care

Sandu

It's just my opinion, but I can't imagine not getting off the ship at ANY port. Even if I've been there a thousand times. I like variety in my vacations which is largely why I cruise. But I understand there are others who cruise for the ship experience and the ports are secondary.

As for Belize, YES! Get off the ship! I've visited twice and enjoyed both visits. The first time I visited the Myan Ruins of Altun Ha. It's not Chichen Itza, but still worth seeing. The second time, we did a cave tubing excursion in the rain forest. It was great!

ENJOY!

DH is handicapped and we always take the tender and just hang out at the port. We shop a little and go to The Wet Lizard for snacks and drinks. You don't have to go any further for some easy fun.

My DD29 did the River Safari and Maya Ruins tour. She loved the hike through the rain forest and climbed to the top of the ruins.

This time she wants to do the cave tubing through RCI.

My sister and I will stay on the ship.

The one time we went to Belize we went cave tubing (booked through a private company) followed by red beans, rice, and fried plantains at a local joint. To this day, it ranks in our memories as one of the best excursion days we've experienced on a cruise ship. What a waste it would have been to not get off at port...

We love Belize. We booked excursions to some of the atolls like Goff's Caye, a really small 2 acre island with spectacular snorkeling through Eco Tours. They know what they are doing, have to have good reps in order to exist.

Great lobster lunch and you feel totally like you're on a deserted island. It does have a restroom with flush toilets (run on batteries:D) We liked it so much, we will return there next year....it was great. There are other things to do such as cave tubing that we hear is excellent...do get off...just plan well and you should be fine.

Well there you go, Kassimer1 says it all.

I agree! Goff's Caye is amazing! Like your own private island in the middle of the ocean! The checking in and waiting in line to pay inside that little mini mall type building royally sucked, but once you got on the boat, it was great! Super snorkeling; saw an eagle Ray. Very relaxing and beautiful little island! Fairly inexpensive too, I think, just $50 per person!

Lauri

I have never been one to stick to the ship's excursions, but after 20+ cruises, the closest I have ever come to missing the ship was in Belize. We did a cave tubing excursion (which was excellent) but the traffic getting back to the tender point was terrible. We ran and got on the last tender to the ship.

My rule now is that tender ports we will only book excursions through the ship. Docked ports we are still comfortable with non-ship sponsored excursions.