iphone settings

Boatingmom

Anybody know how to set phone for Princess messaging so not to incur roaming charge? Also, do you have to purchase WiFi to see patterns on your phone? Non tech here

Tap Settings → Move Airplane Mode slider to the right. That will turn off all communication.

Then tap Settings → Wi-Fi → Move slider next to Wi-Fi to the right to turn Wi-Fi on. Logon to ship's Wi-Fi.

By patterns, are you referring to background wallpaper? Or, perhaps, something else?

Lew

Yes, but not available on all ships. Currently on the Royal and Regal and either just available on the Ruby (I think) or coming soon.

There is a thread here somewhere that lists all of the ships that are currently set-up with the Princess@sea program.

We just got off the Crown and had it. And we will be on the Emerald in 2 weeks, it also has it.

Princess@Sea is free and you won't incur roaming charges as you're using the ship's Intranet, not the Internet. Just put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. You can log into the Intranet using your phone's WiFi. You don't need an Internet package since you're not using the Internet.

Only a couple of ships have the "messaging" feature available through Princess@Sea: Regal and, I think, the Crown.

This is the list of Princess@Sea I saw a couple of days ago:

Caribbean Princess

Coral Princess

Crown Princess

Emerald Princess

Golden Princess

Regal Princess

Royal Princess

Ruby Princess

Sapphire Princess

:) Pam

Thanks all. I am sailing the Regal with teens:eek: I would like to be able to message them however I do not want them to be sending Snapchat pictures back to heir friends at home. So.... If I understand correctly I switch to airplane mode, log onto the Princess wi fi and do not purchase a wifi package I should be good to reach the kids and look up princess patters without a fee??

Thanks all. I am sailing the Regal with teens:eek: I would like to be able to message them however I do not want them to be sending Snapchat pictures back to heir friends at home. So.... If I understand correctly I switch to airplane mode, log onto the Princess wi fi and do not purchase a wifi package I should be good to reach the kids and look up princess patters without a fee??
Depends on the ship. If you're on the Regal or Crown Princess, you'll be able to message. The ships listed above have Princess@Sea so you can check events and your folio but only a couple of ships have the messaging so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct. We were on the Regal at Christmas and I used Princess@sea quite a bit to check my account balances and the Patters. My kids also have iPhones so I was able to keep in touch with them throughout the day. Unfortunately, Princess@sea does not send you an alert when you get a new text, so you have to periodically check by going into messenger. When you first log into messenger, you will get a personal ID number. You will then need to add the ID #s of the other people you wish to contact by phone or iPad into your messenger, and they will have to do the same on their phone/iPad with your ID number. It is not very complicated if you know this, but we did not and it took a while for us to get it going. I would send periodic texts to my kids to let them know where I was throughout the day on sea days, and if they wanted to find me, they would just check their phones. I found it to be a great new service - way to go Princess!

Edited by h-sar

I would make sure that everyone incluing the teens turns their phones to "Airplane mode" when the ship pulls out of the harbor and then do not turn them back off airplane mode until you get back to Ft. lauderdale. We traveled with friends last year and my friend's husband did not do so, and ended up with over $500 of data charges. Be careful!

If the teens can't go without social media or email while on the trip, there are free wifi spots in the ports at various restaurants, fast food outlets, port building, etd. Follow the crew members!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I would make sure that everyone incluing the teens turns their phones to "Airplane mode" when the ship pulls out of the harbor and then do not turn them back off airplane mode until you get back to Ft. lauderdale. We traveled with friends last year and my friend's husband did not do so, and ended up with over $500 of data charges. Be careful!

If the teens can't go without social media or email while on the trip, there are free wifi spots in the ports at various restaurants, fast food outlets, port building, etd. Follow the crew members!

Absolutely right, sunsetbeachgal! We put our phones in airplane mode prior to leaving home last summer and used our phones all over the Mediterranean by logging into free Wi-Fi. Sadly, no Princess@sea on the Regal back then. :( All four of us also used our iPhone cameras for the three weeks and we came home with absolutely no charges - just have to be careful as you said.

If you have any doubt, take the sim out of the kids' phones

for the duration of the cruise.

Then, the phone will only work for :

wifi / onboard intranet / onboard messaging.

I enjoyed being able to check our onboard expenses on my laptop last month on the Caribbean Princess. I did not use the Patter feature much, but did try it out. We always turn our phones off and leave them in the safe during the cruise except when we get to a U.S. territory (St. Thomas and San Juan).

• 1 month later...
Anybody know how to set phone for Princess messaging so not to incur roaming charge? Also, do you have to purchase WiFi to see patterns on your phone? Non tech here

If you really want to be sure you do not incur a bunch of charges, call your service provider as they are the experts on your service and your phone.

Airplane mode might be the way to go for your kids but may not be the best for you. Going to airplane mode complete disables your ability to receive calls and text messages (other than princess messenger). Do you really want to be that out of touch? Also, princess messenger only works on ship. Will you want to text off the ship? What will you do if you get separated? It does happen.

I called Verizon and they talked me through the process and sent me an email with written instructions. They did not instruct me to put the phone in airplane mode. They told me to simply turn data off.

This allows you to receive calls. $2.49 per minute which is expensive. But, there is no charge if you do not answer. Do a little call screening. Maybe you do want to take a call from your bank or credit card company. Or perhaps you have a very sick relative? You may not want to let your kids decide whether to answer a call so airplane mode might be best for them.

This also allows you to send text messages while off ship (Costs $0.50 per text). You can receive text messages for $0.05 per message. If relatives back home need to contact you they can send a text and you'll be able to receive it.

BTW, email is data.

Maybe you do want to put your phone in airplane mode or maybe only your kids. Maybe you want to just turn data off. You'll have to judge which is best but do call your service provider.

BTW, the surest way to prevent your kids from sending 500 pictures to their friends is to confiscate their phones once you're on board.

Also remember that if you have an iPad that is connected to a carrier, you have to do the same as with your phone. We assumed that the iPad just switched to the wifi when we connected to the ships internet and that it only accessed AT&T hotspots.. Not so! Thank goodness AT&T worked with us post cruise to reduce the 700 bill!

Edited by mina

With the latest IOS update, everytime my phone rang, my iPad also rang. I do not have a data package with my iPad. I just use it with wifi.

I knew that my iPad was somehow interfacing with my phone - in a way that it never had before. I looked around in settings and found the selection to disconnect the dual ringing when I got a phone call on my iPhone.

Mentioning this because incoming calls to your iPad may be an issue.

Edited by redtogo