Why doesn't RCCL have...

Waterslides? Just curious. The water areas seems kind of boring to me without them!:p I know my son would be much happier on a ship with some! I have not planned anything yet-line or ship. Just started researching for next year!:D

I agree to a certain degree. I think it would be better if they added more slides but then again they have a lot of other activities. I mean they do have a ice skating rink when no other ship does. I love those ice shows :)

NCL Getaway has a fabulous waterpark. I think 3 or 4 slides plus the thing where the floor drops out and you careen down a slide. We cruise every summer with our daughter and grandsons and I always choose a ship that I know they will enjoy. That being said they must have spent at least 4 hours a day on those slides. They are 11 and 12. They begged me to book the same cruise for next summer they loved it so much. DH and I are on the Allure this Sunday, can't wait to experience it but for the boys I think you can't go wrong with the Getaway.

NCL Getaway has a fabulous waterpark. I think 3 or 4 slides plus the thing where the floor drops out and you careen down a slide. We cruise every summer with our daughter and grandsons and I always choose a ship that I know they will enjoy. That being said they must have spent at least 4 hours a day on those slides. They are 11 and 12. They begged me to book the same cruise for next summer they loved it so much. DH and I are on the Allure this Sunday, can't wait to experience it but for the boys I think you can't go wrong with the Getaway.

We've done mariner and freedom, so my 12 year old is excited about the zipline on Oasis. When we are in Cozumel we are taking a cab to playa Mia - they have waterslides. I am surprised that RCCL hasn't added waterslides to their new ships, simply because all the other new ships out there have them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you answered your own question.

RCI likes to be innovative, and offer things that other cruise lines don't. Many lines have water slides, so I don't think it's a wow for them to add them.

They chose flow rider instead.

I think it also goes to ship design.

The ships with water slides and ropes courses and all this "stuff" on the top deck look cluttered, and I think RCI still tries really hard to make their ships look beautiful.

Despite some of the weird stuff they've done lately with the changes to navigator and that big pink bear on Quantum.

The 4 Radiance class ships have water slides.
Nobody over the age of seven is going to want to use those water slides. They are not steep enough and the older kids (above preschool age) have to push themselves down the slide. Considering the OP is a parent (s)he is not going to have any interest in going down any of those slides. Edited by Cuizer2

We did one cruise on Carnival with the water slide. I think my kids went down it maybe once or twice a day. We went on Royal and they found much more to keep themselves occupied. When asked the always choose Royal over the lines with the slides. Of course that was before all the big waterparks on some of the ships now.

Slides look cool but in reality for one slide its not a whole lot different than many of the other activities on board other ships. We stick to land based water parks for the slides. Just a different view of the options out there.

Radiance class slides are for babies. NCL and Carnival have the slide situation well sorted out. Speed slides, racing slides, sized for adults. Flowrider is a great feature but in no way a replacement for a slide. Hopefully Oasis 3 has waterslides. NCL Escape will have the largest waterpark at sea with 5 huge slides, water cannons, splash park. RCI's H20 Zone is "weak" according to the four age 6 - 13 year old kids in our family. Was shocked when Quantum came out and it had no slides.

Radiance class slides are for babies. NCL and Carnival have the slide situation well sorted out. Speed slides, racing slides, sized for adults. Flowrider is a great feature but in no way a replacement for a slide. Hopefully Oasis 3 has waterslides. NCL Escape will have the largest waterpark at sea with 5 huge slides, water cannons, splash park. RCI's H20 Zone is "weak" according to the four age 6 - 13 year old kids in our family. Was shocked when Quantum came out and it had no slides.

That is interesting to read. I guess I never thought of a water slide on a ship as being much of an attraction. Apparently they have evolved.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We have looked at Royal as well but the no waterpark thing keeps us away. The flowrider is a skill thing and my kids would not have any fun on something that they could not conquer. The rock climbing wall is good for one climb. It's not something that is fun repetitively and they charge for ice skating and I won't pay. For now the bigger Carnival ships meet our needs. My kids spend hours a day at the waterpark and I am happy when they are happy.

Nobody over the age of seven is going to want to use those water slides. They are not steep enough and the older kids (above preschool age) have to push themselves down the slide. Considering the OP is a parent (s)he is not going to have any interest in going down any of those slides.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid make it all the way down without getting stuck at some point. The amount of water going down the slide equates to a garden hose.

Other than Radiance Class, don't the early Voyager Class ships have smaller slides, or have those been removed? :confused:

That was my only knock on Oasis a couple weeks ago, was the fact that there was nowhere for me to channel my inner child lol. Yeah the flow rider and rock walls are cool, but the sign up and wait time was never worth it. Plus you had to be sober to do these things, after a couple drinks I would have loved to shoot down a water slide!

We have looked at Royal as well but the no waterpark thing keeps us away. The flowrider is a skill thing and my kids would not have any fun on something that they could not conquer. The rock climbing wall is good for one climb. It's not something that is fun repetitively and they charge for ice skating and I won't pay. For now the bigger Carnival ships meet our needs. My kids spend hours a day at the waterpark and I am happy when they are happy.

RCI has never charged for ice skating. The rock climbing wall is good for much more than one climb. The various runs are set up for different skill levels. You can challenge yourself more as you become more proficient. I usually climb several times during the week.