Why doesn't RCCL have...

We have looked at Royal as well but the no waterpark thing keeps us away. The flowrider is a skill thing and my kids would not have any fun on something that they could not conquer. The rock climbing wall is good for one climb. It's not something that is fun repetitively and they charge for ice skating and I won't pay.

On the Flowrider, boogie boarding doesn't take a whole lot of skill.

Where did you hear they charge for ice skating? :confused:

Waterslides? Just curious. The water areas seems kind of boring to me without them!:p I know my son would be much happier on a ship with some! I have not planned anything yet-line or ship. Just started researching for next year!:D

Totally agree. This is the one thing that is missing on most ships. One main advantage of Disney, but we looked at Fantasy vs Allure and price difference was huge. Allure had enough but definitely the waterslide was the one thing that made me think twice about selecting Disney.

The Serenade does have one so some do include them, but not enough.

PS - Although the FlowRider looks like fun, little kids can't go on it. And for us, I'm not even sure if my DS10 will want to try it. They would both use a waterslide though (although younger one only if it was similar to Serenade)

Edited by LuCruise

Oasis 3 looks like that put a real water slide, i guess that could change but hopefully it doesnt. The water slide is a huge attraction for families and adults more that the florider.
Agreed. RCCL has lost 2 of our past family New Year's cruises specifically because there was no water slides on board. The kids can have a big impact on which ship is chosen for a family vacation. And not every kid is big enough to ride the flowrider when they are big enough to ride water slides on other lines. So a Flowrider isn't always a viable replacement to slides.

I hope O3 has a water slide. I don't really care about RCCL's "innovation" if I don't like what they've "innovated" (i.e. - bumper cars) or my kid isn't big enough to use it on their own.

Edited by The Grumpus

I don't think I've ever seen a kid make it all the way down without getting stuck at some point. The amount of water going down the slide equates to a garden hose.

Other than Radiance Class, don't the early Voyager Class ships have smaller slides, or have those been removed? :confused:

You're right Paul, Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure had the kiddie area aft of Adventure Ocean, and there was a small slide there, even smaller than what's on Radiance class. Last month on Explorer, the slide was still there, but they had nets around the entire area making it off limits for guests. I'll see what's still on Adventure next week.

RCI has never charged for ice skating. The rock climbing wall is good for much more than one climb. The various runs are set up for different skill levels. You can challenge yourself more as you become more proficient. I usually climb several times during the week.

I could have sworn I read it somewhere on CC. Even so ice skating on a summer Caribbean cruise does not sound fun. My niece tried a rock wall at some event and was too scared to come down so someone had to go and get her. If all these skill things make your vacation fun that is fine. We like our fun easy and accessible to everyone of every age and ability.

I could have sworn I read it somewhere on CC. Even so ice skating on a summer Caribbean cruise does not sound fun. My niece tried a rock wall at some event and was too scared to come down so someone had to go and get her. If all these skill things make your vacation fun that is fine. We like our fun easy and accessible to everyone of every age and ability.

I completely get what you are saying. My only point was to inform you about the wall so that you realized that there are differences in the runs. From your post it sounded like you thought that after one run you would just be doing the same thing over and over. But, again, I totally understand that the sports deck is not the hightlight of everyone's cruise on RCI. And, I too, have never ice skated aboard ship. I have plenty of places to do that during these New England winters. I cruise the Caribbean to be warm!:D

The water slide is a huge attraction for families and adults more that the florider.

Not this family. We are loyal to Royal solely because of the Flowriders.

Plus you had to be sober to do these things, after a couple drinks I would have loved to shoot down a water slide!

I view this as a positive. I save money onboard since I have to stay sober to do the Flowrider during the day.

That is interesting to read. I guess I never thought of a water slide on a ship as being much of an attraction. Apparently they have evolved.

While I largely agree with RCCL Fan's post on this, when Allure was next to Disney Magic in Nassau we could look down on the "Aqua duck" coaster (water slide in a raft) that does look pretty cool.

Not this family. We are loyal to Royal solely because of the Flowriders.

I view this as a positive. I save money onboard since I have to stay sober to do the Flowrider during the day.

I can just see it now, RCI gets rid of all the flow riders when they realize it is cutting into alcohol sales!:D

I don't think I've ever seen a kid make it all the way down without getting stuck at some point. The amount of water going down the slide equates to a garden hose.

Other than Radiance Class, don't the early Voyager Class ships have smaller slides, or have those been removed?

Yes, the first three Voyager class ships do have a slide. It was not added to the last two Voyager class ships because of its lack of use. I understand that the one on the Explorer will be removed during the dry dock.

Voyager Adventure Beach. The slide is the blue thing just to the left of the pole ...

B18-AdventureBeachI.jpg

In this photo it is the blue thing on the left side ...

B19-AdventureBeachII.jpg

Explorer Adventure Beach ...

SM_zps6fba62e3.jpg

SO_zps51610255.jpg

Carnival Inspiration ...

DSC_7507_zpseef97c9c.jpg

NCL Star ...

Pan-greatview.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

We have looked at Royal as well but the no waterpark thing keeps us away. The flowrider is a skill thing and my kids would not have any fun on something that they could not conquer. The rock climbing wall is good for one climb. It's not something that is fun repetitively and they charge for ice skating and I won't pay. For now the bigger Carnival ships meet our needs. My kids spend hours a day at the waterpark and I am happy when they are happy.

Neither does anyone else ...

Q: Is there a charge for skates or ice skating onboard? What size skates are there?

A: Skates and skating are complimentary on the ships with ice rinks, which are the Oasis-class, Freedom-class and Voyager-class ships. All skates are unisex. Long pants and socks are required to participate. We offer figure and hockey style skates in adult sizes only. Skates are very similar to regular rental boots rented at most ice rinks.

On CCL, if you go on a large ship (like Conquest or Dream class) keep in mind that the couple of slides they have are shared among about 4,000 possible users, you can be in line for a long time.

Been there!

The same can be said for the rock wall and Flowrider on the Royal Caribbean ships.

I don't regularly read threads for other lines but I wonder if any of them have threads asking why that line doesn't offer ice skating rinks, bumper cars, zip lines, flowriders, sky diving, mini-golf etc.? Seems to me that the lack of any or most of those things might be as much of a deal-breaker for some folks as the lack of waterslides is for some potential RCI cruisers.

On CCL, if you go on a large ship (like Conquest or Dream class) keep in mind that the couple of slides they have are shared among about 4,000 possible users, you can be in line for a long time.

Been there!

How many share the flowrider or the rock wall on RCCL?

I don't regularly read threads for other lines but I wonder if any of them have threads asking why that line doesn't offer ice skating rinks, bumper cars, zip lines, flowriders, sky diving, mini-golf etc.? Seems to me that the lack of any or most of those things might be as much of a deal-breaker for some folks as the lack of waterslides is for some potential RCI cruisers.

I enjoy reading about the ships on other lines and especially trip reports with pictures. I have never asked why Carnival doesn't have the same things as any other line. They each have their thing. I personally feel that things like bumper cars, carousels, sky diving have nothing to do with cruising and really detract from the atmosphere. I would not choose to cruise on a ship with these things but many may want to and that is ok. Neither of us is right or wrong.

I have learned that I will most likely never want to do an Allure/Oasis size ship. I also don't think I would like the newer NCL ships with the smoke problem on the public decks. I can't afford Celebrity/Princess/Holland America plus they don't usually sail the Caribbean in the summer. Lots of stuff to learn reading the other boards.

If my option was water slide or flow rider I'd take the flow rider any day.

ME TOO :)

We went to a time share this past weekend (wanted the free cruise, I know, not free, but cheaper than full fare) and they asked "So, could you see yourself vacationing here?" and we both said "Lord NO, why would we? No Flowriders at any of your locations or resorts AND his parents live on this lake, they have a waterfront home" :D

How many share the flowrider or the rock wall on RCCL?

Oddly enough, many people do not "find" the flowrider until the last couple of days and then it is packed. However, if you go in the morning for advanced stand-up, there are usually 5-10 of us max. :p

Last year the drunk chick who threw herself into the Flowrider was EPIC :) No, she was not hurt, but they did forbid her from using it for the remainder of the cruise :D

Oddly enough, many people do not "find" the flowrider until the last couple of days and then it is packed. [B]However, if you go in the morning for advanced stand-up, there are usually 5-10 of us max. [/b]:p

Last year the drunk chick who threw herself into the Flowrider was EPIC :) No, she was not hurt, but they did forbid her from using it for the remainder of the cruise :D

Edna - during mid-afternoon on port days is a good time to go as well! I'll take the flowrider over some of those ports. ;) Edited by The Grumpus

Edna - during mid-afternoon on port days is a good time to go as well! I'll take the flowrider over some of those ports. ;)

Great time to rent it too. I see you will be on the Allure the day after we leave on the Independence. What day are y'all getting to Florida?

We have looked at Royal as well but the no waterpark thing keeps us away. The flowrider is a skill thing and my kids would not have any fun on something that they could not conquer. The rock climbing wall is good for one climb. It's not something that is fun repetitively and they charge for ice skating and I won't pay. For now the bigger Carnival ships meet our needs. My kids spend hours a day at the waterpark and I am happy when they are happy.

Honestly, the water slide is one item Carnival has. RCCL has multiple activities, on the sports deck. They include the flow rider, which can be done either standing up surfing, or as a boogie board. The rock climbing has multiple different courses to take for different skills. Full sized sports court for basketball, dodgeball, soccer and other events for kids of all ages. Ice skating is FREE for all ages. Some ships of an inline skating track, trampoline. They all have a mini golf course. The newest ships, have of course so many different action activities.

Jump back to Carnival, and you basically have the same things on every ship without much variety.

How old are the kids? Mine were both on Carnival and RCCL and once they became a teenager, they voiced strong opinions on not going on Carnival because they were so boring. Every kid is not the same, but until your kids try it, they won't know how much fun they will have.

RCCL does not try to copy others, but rather they create their own experience.