No more free drink coupon

thomarvin

Never got to use the coupon - either did not go to the "brunch" or forgot the coupon when we did.... I think I have 4 or 5 at home.

2 bottles of water means less water I have to lug onboard.

Nice trade-off, might even say it's an upgrade.

same here.

I would have been nice to have them make the coupons accepted at all bars or lounges during the cruise, or even a specific day, such a sea days. I only used mine on one cruise, as I usually forget about it until I see it while I'm packing on the last night. It's no big deal to me, and the water is a nice "gesture," and better than nothing.

Never got to use the coupon - either did not go to the "brunch" or forgot the coupon when we did.... I think I have 4 or 5 at home.

2 bottles of water means less water I have to lug onboard.

Nice trade-off, might even say it's an upgrade.

Carnival used to be about choices. The point many are making here and with which I agree is Carnival should have made the coupon redeemable for a liter of water in room OR a comp drink at the Sea Day Brunch. Carnival has chosen for us so now they aren't so much about what I choose any more now are they?

I've never used the coupon so I'm glad for the change. At least a bottle of water is a little healthier. I suspect the change will cost Carnival a little more as now there will be 100% participation and the cost (to Carnival) of a bottle of water or free drink have to be about the same.

Oh the horror..you're losing a free drink coupon that could only be used on Sea Days in the main dinning room... yep Carnival is going to hell, cheaping out, those on a tight budget will go broke..

1. The coupon was to restrictive to begin with.

2. Carnival isn't cheaping out, they are now incurring the expense by putting the bottle of water in your stateroom for all RED and GOLD VIFPs vs. taking the chance you'd use the coupon. In the end it probably washes out for them in terms of cost.

3. If you're bitching about being on a tight budget and somehow getting one free drink is going make or break your cruise perhaps you should get your priorities straight to begin with.

If you're a Gold VIFP you can get more then your share of free drinks at the VIFP party. So have an extra glass to make up for this tragic loss and stop complaining...

I am beyond pissed with Carnival. I was sincerely looking forward to using my drink coupon at brunch on our upcoming cruise. Now I can't.

I drink the free water all over the ship and find a bottle of water to be so utterly stupid. That is just my opinion.

Right now I'm so frustrated with Carnival and their cutbacks that I'm not even quite as excited about our cruise anymore.

I just feel very offended by this whole situation...they want people to think that this bottle of a water is a reward and that losing the drink is nothing. A bottle of water is $4, or you could have a drink that costs up to $8.75 free. So cheap Carnival, shame on you.

I agree. I was really looking forward to trying something different with my coupon. This has put a damper on my excitement for my upcoming cruise, also. They just don't appreciate return customers until they reach Platinum status and above. At this rate we never will.

This is just punishment for many not wanting to have alcohol at breakfast-time. A punishment ONLY for Gold and Red. What does that tell you. They don't want us back. Its not so much losing something free, its the sentiment behind it.

Makes me wonder if I complain about the nasty eggs they use if I will end up eating breakfast sitting on the railing with my bottle of water and a pop-tart. I also wonder if they won't be collecting the empties and refilling them. Apparently there isn't much they won't do to save a buck.

Edited by Sunburns

That VIFP party is horrible, you rarely get that person coming around to you with the snacks and the drinks are pretty much pre made and all watered down I haven't been to one in the past few cruises just not worth my time or the water down drinks.

I just feel Carnival taking away things and diminishing what passengers are so used to getting is a let down... its not about "loosing a drink" but its about "loosing an incentive that we had enjoyed for awhile.

I agree. I was really looking forward to trying something different with my coupon. This has put a damper on my excitement for my upcoming cruise, also. They just don't appreciate return customers until they reach Platinum status and above. At this rate we never will.

This is just punishment for many not wanting to have alcohol at breakfast-time. A punishment ONLY for Gold and Red. What does that tell you. They don't want us back. Its not so much losing something free, its the sentiment behind it.

Makes me wonder if I complain about the nasty eggs they use if I will end up eating breakfast sitting on the railing with my bottle of water and a pop-tart. I also wonder if they won't be collecting the empties and refilling them. Apparently there isn't much they won't do to save a buck.

I agree about the punishment thing. I know this was ultimately all about saving money (even though they already weren't losing too much because as this thread has shown, most people didn't even use the coupon). But, I think it's mighty ironic that there was a thread going on here about things we wish Carnival would do or change. Several mentioned the coupon and wishing the restrictions were looser, and then we get an announcement the next morning that the entire thing has been nixed AND it's all the fault of those who said they wished they could use the coupon anytime.

Are they serious?!

That's not a way to retain customers. Now don't get me wrong, anybody, I'm not jumping the gun and saying I'll never cruise Carnival again. This doesn't ruin a cruise for me. I'm just a little iffy giving my money to a company who handles things in a semi-juvenile and backwards manner. Are they to start responding to all customer complaints this way? I notice many complain about the eggs., are they going to quit serving eggs altogether? Some people complain the room service menu is too limited. Are they going to stop room service?

They can just keep using the, "everybody complained too much!" line and knocking off perks, one by one, just to save money.

I know one thing is for sure. If they would have kept the drink coupon, I may or may not have redeemed it. I WILL go out of my way to drink every ounce of the free water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Ha ha ! Good one pretending to be this upset about nothing .

And you state you haven't cruised Carnival in 5 years?

We haven't cruised at all in 5 years, this is our first real trip without kids in all that time. Fortunately for carnival they keep us coming back with their prices, but royal Caribbean isn't that much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOO HISS

It wasn't that hard to use - water? I can bring water on board if I want to - how about letting me bring a bottle of rum on board now. I am not buying the people has said ... it is about driving revenue ...

? Huh ? :rolleyes:

I love the VIFP party and have enjoyed the drinks and the service, I have never been left wanting for anything and have always been thankful for the gathering.

Based on your comment, Carnival just can't win can they? You want them to cancel the party too since it is so horrible? Geez people.

That VIFP party is horrible, you rarely get that person coming around to you with the snacks and the drinks are pretty much pre made and all watered down I haven't been to one in the past few cruises just not worth my time or the water down drinks.

I just feel Carnival taking away things and diminishing what passengers are so used to getting is a let down... its not about "loosing a drink" but its about "loosing an incentive that we had enjoyed for awhile.

Edited by tkportersat

For me, as many others have stated, if people were complaining about the coupon being too restrictive, the logical move would have been to lift or ease the restrictions, not replace it with water. Again, my opinion only. I did use my coupons for the most part, sometimes I didn't, but I never complained about it. I am sailing on the Miracle on 2/1/15 and will be extra sure to use it! :D

I like the value Carnival offers, so this won't make or break anything for me.

I am also very annoyed at Carnival they always seem to downgrade things, now, why should I work at raising my status on Carnival when I know all they do is disappoint, downgrade and take away things?

I will never, ever, ever understand this line of reasoning. As I am typing this, I am sitting in a hotel where we happen to be Diamond members of their rewards program. I can tell you that if their rooms were not nice or reasonably priced (good value), if their customer service was bad or if we didn't enjoy the benefits of the rewards program WE WOULD CHANGE BRANDS. I would not continue to stay at this brand and complain about the perks given (or not given). We enjoy the perks, so we continue to return in order to keep our Diamond status, but the moment that the individual stay doesn't justify the rewards given, we will move on.

I truly don't understand continuing to cruise Carnival to "work at raising my status".? If all they do is "disappoint, downgrade, or take away things", then why do you want to have any status with them?? It's like people are gritting their teeth through their cruises and saying to themselves, "Only two more of these horrible cruises and then we will have status - and then we can stand in a short line and get a free drink on the rest of our horrible cruises".

Am I the only one that doesn't get it??

I will never, ever, ever understand this line of reasoning. As I am typing this, I am sitting in a hotel where we happen to be Diamond members of their rewards program. I can tell you that if their rooms were not nice or reasonably priced (good value), if their customer service was bad or if we didn't enjoy the benefits of the rewards program WE WOULD CHANGE BRANDS. I would not continue to stay at this brand and complain about the perks given (or not given). We enjoy the perks, so we continue to return in order to keep our Diamond status, but the moment that the individual stay doesn't justify the rewards given, we will move on.

I truly don't understand continuing to cruise Carnival to "work at raising my status".? If all they do is "disappoint, downgrade, or take away things", then why do you want to have any status with them?? It's like people are gritting their teeth through their cruises and saying to themselves, "Only two more of these horrible cruises and then we will have status - and then we can stand in a short line and get a free drink on the rest of our horrible cruises".

Perhaps lyndamyr was trying to say she enjoyed the Carnival product at one time, but continuous changes she considered to be unfavorable and devalued the product in her eyes. As the perceived value is becoming less and less, she doesn't see the point in continuing her business relationship on a long term basis to achieve a higher level of status. While this may seem small to you, this may be the straw that broke the camel's back for her. I certainly know which two straws caused me to look elsewhere and which straw officially broke the camel's back in my unique situation.

Perhaps lyndamyr was trying to say she enjoyed the Carnival product at one time, but continuous changes she considered to be unfavorable and devalued the product in her eyes. As the perceived value is becoming less and less, she doesn't see the point in continuing her business relationship on a long term basis to achieve a higher level of status. While this may seem small to you, this may be the straw that broke the camel's back for her. I certainly know which two straws caused me to look elsewhere and which straw officially broke the camel's back in my unique situation.

It just seems strange to continue to frequent a company to get perks that you aren't pleased with.

There was a Seinfeld episode where Elaine had a loyalty card to a deli. It had to be punched with 10 purchases and then you got a free sandwich. She told Jerry that the food at the deli was terrible, but she freaked out when she lost the card, because she only had two more punches to get her free (terrible) sandwich. That's kind of what this reminds me of.

Every single time I go on a cruise, I do so based on itinerary, price (value), convenience, etc. - not based on receiving any "points" for future perks. I'm interested in the CURRENT vacation, not in what this vacation will earn me in two years if I do it three more times.

It just seems strange to continue to frequent a company to get perks that you aren't pleased with.

Every single time I go on a cruise, I do so based on itinerary, price (value), convenience, etc. - not based on receiving any "points" for future perks. I'm interested in the CURRENT vacation, not in what this vacation will earn me in two years if I do it three more times.

I don't patronize companies that provide a product I am not satisfied with. I vote with my wallet and go elsewhere.

When I select a cruise, I base it off perceived value and loyalty perks heavily influence my decision, especially when a competitor offers rich benefits that only add value to the cruise. Itinerary means very little to me. If I want to go to a specific place, I visit on land. When trying to enjoy a destination, I don't want to be limited to a few hours with ship sponsored excursions. When I cruise, the ship is the destination.

There was a Seinfeld episode where Elaine had a loyalty card to a deli. It had to be punched with 10 purchases and then you got a free sandwich. She told Jerry that the food at the deli was terrible, but she freaked out when she lost the card, because she only had two more punches to get her free (terrible) sandwich. That's kind of what this reminds me of.

I have seen a lot of comments with people saying they don't cruise for perks. If I worked for carnival, I would eliminate all perks for everyone. Why give any special perks to anyone, since most people would sail on carnival anyway. They could save money on the perks and also make more money by selling hundreds of faster to the fun.

No, you aren't the only one who doesn't get it. You said exactly what I have wanted to say on this subject much better than I could ever hope to have done.

And very well they might if they see so many folks not even appreciating the perks they do get. I went on Carnival the first time for a nice vacation and that is why I still continue to cruise, if/when I don't enjoy myself then I will move on.

I went to an all inclusive for the first time this summer and all the perks I got I paid for (private pool, private breakfast dining, VIP check in/check out, etc.) That is the choice I made for the extras I wanted for that particular vacation, but I don't get anything from NOW for visiting their resorts over someone else going forward.

I have seen a lot of comments with people saying they don't cruise for perks. If I worked for carnival, I would eliminate all perks for everyone. Why give any special perks to anyone, since most people would sail on carnival anyway. They could save money on the perks and also make more money by selling hundreds of faster to the fun.