Super Bowl Ad

Tarpeian Rock

I found myself wondering how many people watching the commercial didn't even recognize JFK's voice.

I didn't recognize his voice, but DH did.

I don't agree we all come from the sea. However, overall I liked the commercial.

Edited by Susie51

I don't think the ad was supposed to be political at all. I think the quote ties in nicely with a cruise line commercial, and it just happens to be quote from JFK. If it had been a quote from Shakespeare , Mark Twain, Mahatma Ghandi, or Groucho Marx, it would have been one of them on the commercial.

I found myself wondering how many people watching the commercial didn't even recognize JFK's voice.

Hubby did!! He came into the bedroom where I was watching the TV in there and RMO (Rolling My Own) and said that he saw and heard it. Said whoever was the Voice Over did a darned good JFK impression:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I think it is kind of tacky to use our martyred President to sell a product. FYI the Kennedy-Nixon election of 1960 was the first election in which I voted.

I agree. I think it is crass commercialization, and I hope it isn't the start of a new advertising trend to use the words and voice of deceased historical figures taken out of context to sell a product.

BTW, that audio clip was from JFK's remarks at a dinner given by Sir Howard Beale, Ambassador of Australia to the United States on the occasion of the 1962 America's Cup.

Text of the full speech can be found here: http://home.comcast.net/~ceoverfield/sea.html

Edited by Salacia

It caught our attention and we liked it. I don't think tying in quotes like that is bad. It was tasteful in IMHO. I find it more tacky when some car dealer ad screams "I have a dream" to get me to buy a special priced Nissan or such on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. :eek:

First off, there were four commercials posted at www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com.

People were encouraged to vote for their favorites - and as an incentive, one voter will win a cruise a year for life.

The commercial that aired was not the one I voted for, but I did like it second best.

I am thankful that the Cruise Virgin commercial didn't win. I'm no prude, but I was offended by the suggestiveness of the spot. "The first time I did it, I was with my parents." And champagne pops and bubbles out in the background.

A man says the first time he did it, it didn't last long enough - he wants his next time to be longer. And his girlfriend says "That would be nice."

I thought that diminished Carnival Corp. and the individual cruise lines. I know it was the Super Bowl, but still ...

Carnival Corp. is marketing its brands together, thus the newly enhanced website. The company is also targeting those who have never cruised before, and trying to wipe away some of the myths associated with cruising.

As far as JFK - I thought it was wonderful.

It's a beautiful speech (please, don't make it political ... he was not promoting evolution, honestly! :rolleyes:) and he should be quoted - as Shakespeare is - as any famous person is.

It's not commercialization of JFK, but it's using a poignant quote to get across an idea.

JFK was talking about the sea, so it was appropriate.

MLK Jr.'s "dream" was not about hawking cars, so that type of usage would be inappropriate.

I thought the ad wonderful..... the visuals were beautiful.

I did not find anything in it that would be considered disrespectful to JFK. The didn't

put words in his mouth...... they were words he spoke.

Maybe this could be merged with the other thread on the topic?

I prefer the title of this thread though.

Wonderful commercial. Wish some people would not make things political that are not. :rolleyes:

Thank you for saying this.

The other thread title is disturbs me. When I saw it last night, I gasped a bit.

I thought the ad wonderful..... the visuals were beautiful.

I did not find anything in it that would be considered disrespectful to JFK. The didn't

put words in his mouth...... they were words he spoke.

I can't agree more.

If you look at the four commercials, this and Message in a Bottle were the two best.

I am so glad neither of the other two were chosen!

<snip>

As far as JFK - I thought it was wonderful.

It's a beautiful speech (please, don't make it political ... he was not promoting evolution, honestly! :rolleyes:) and he should be quoted - as Shakespeare is - as any famous person is.

It's not commercialization of JFK, but it's using a poignant quote to get across an idea.

JFK was talking about the sea, so it was appropriate.

MLK Jr.'s "dream" was not about hawking cars, so that type of usage would be inappropriate.

In addition, there might be more context and acceptance of using his voice and quote being appropriate if we remember he was a U.S. Navy Officer who served in danger during the war. He and his family were and are well known for their love of the sea. They had fabulous properties in Hyannis, MA and there are many photos of the family sailing and on the water.

When his brother, Senator Edward Kennedy, was dying of brain tumor, he spent as much time as he could aboard his beautiful sailing vessel.

I these factors make it all the more appropriate he way his voice and quote were used.

Edited by sail7seas

The views of the ocean and ships were nice, but as a Christian, I took offense at the remark that we (mankind) came from the sea. I feel that God created man in His image, and I did not somehow evolve from a guppy to a monkey and finally to a modern day man. It's a NO VOTE for CCL commercial

JFK gave the speech at the 1962 America's Cup.

He was speaking to dedicated sailors - who would grasp the metaphor.

(Kind of like Jimmy Buffett's "Son of a Son of a Sailor" lyrics ... "the sea's in my veins.")

How anyone would latch on to a literal translation of JFK's words in such an instance and miss the metaphorical resonance is beyond me.

Our society has gotten to a point where there is always someone who finds offense to just about everything. It seems it has become a full time avocation to scrutinize every word a person speaks or writes and contort it to the point offense can be twisted from it. It's become impossible to write or speak without someone objecting to the words.

In addition, there might be more context and acceptance of using his voice and quote being appropriate if we remember he was a U.S. Navy Officer who served in danger during the war. He and his family were and are well known for their love of the sea. They had fabulous properties in Hyannis, MA and there are many photos of the family sailing and on the water.

When his brother, Senator Edward Kennedy, was dying of brain tumor, he spent as much time as he could aboard his beautiful sailing vessel.

I these factors make it all the more appropriate he way his voice and quote were used.

Along with the context for the speech - the 1962 America's Cup.

So he was speaking to those with a love for the sea.

And establishing a connection those people feel - as he did - with the sea.

Highly appropriate use of the speech.

Our society has gotten to a point where there is always someone who finds offense to just about everything. It seems it has become a full time avocation to scrutinize every word a person speaks or writes and contort it to the point offense can be twisted from it. It's become impossible to write or speak without someone objecting to the words.

Stating one's opinion is what these forums are for, at least they're supposed to be. There are very few things in life that truly offend me anymore, but I will stand up for my God, even if it means I don't think the ad was "wonderful", as you stated earlier. Have a nice day, and God bless.