Super Bowl Ad

Tarpeian Rock

Our society has gotten to a point where there is always someone who finds offense to just about everything. It seems it has become a full time avocation to scrutinize every word a person speaks or writes and contort it to the point offense can be twisted from it. It's become impossible to write or speak without someone objecting to the words.

Tell me about it!!

As a Christian who is God Loving and is not God Fearing, I can honestly say that I think that whether or not God Created us via Adam and Eve or from the Sea, does not matter to me. What matters to me is that HE is in my heart and I believe in him.

CCL using JFK's voice and speaking in, "metaphorical resonance," as Oceanwench states, is OK by me and does not invoke anything but positivity in me:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

First off, there were four commercials posted at www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com.

People were encouraged to vote for their favorites - and as an incentive, one voter will win a cruise a year for life.

The commercial that aired was not the one I voted for, but I did like it second best.

I am thankful that the Cruise Virgin commercial didn't win. I'm no prude, but I was offended by the suggestiveness of the spot. "The first time I did it, I was with my parents." And champagne pops and bubbles out in the background.

A man says the first time he did it, it didn't last long enough - he wants his next time to be longer. And his girlfriend says "That would be nice."

I thought that diminished Carnival Corp. and the individual cruise lines. I know it was the Super Bowl, but still ...

Carnival Corp. is marketing its brands together, thus the newly enhanced website. The company is also targeting those who have never cruised before, and trying to wipe away some of the myths associated with cruising.

As far as JFK - I thought it was wonderful.

It's a beautiful speech (please, don't make it political ... he was not promoting evolution, honestly! :rolleyes:) and he should be quoted - as Shakespeare is - as any famous person is.

It's not commercialization of JFK, but it's using a poignant quote to get across an idea.

JFK was talking about the sea, so it was appropriate.

MLK Jr.'s "dream" was not about hawking cars, so that type of usage would be inappropriate.

The Cruise Virgin ad reminded me of print ads for Campari back in the 60s and 70s featuring big celebrities (Katherine Hepburn, Walter Cronkite, Marlene Dietrich ....etc) talking about "their 1st time" Naturally referring to the first time they tried Campari, but it was worded the same . "He was older , we were alone , I was nervous when he suggested it, but I was young and adventurous " :)

And then of course there was the infamous parody of the ad in Hustler about Jerry Falwell *LOL*

Stating one's opinion is what these forums are for, at least they're supposed to be. There are very few things in life that truly offend me anymore, but I will stand up for my God, even if it means I don't think the ad was "wonderful", as you stated earlier. Have a nice day, and God bless.

I mean it as a generalization and no one should take it personally.

Thank you for the blessing.

My only problem was that by the time I realized the commercial was about cruising and Carnival Co. it seemed to be over without having time to read the logos of the various companies on the screen.:)

Off topic but tucked away in here so I don't derail anything - SAIL - I hope you're safe and warm and have lots of groceries in the pantry.:) Just caught on the news that another blizzard is on its way to you.:o

Did anyone else see the CCL brand Ad the first quarter of the Super Bowl?

I thought it was very good.

It listed all of the cruise lines under Carnival at the end including HAL. I did not expect it since I never see HAL on any of these type of advertisements.

I only caught bits and pieces of the commercial when it aired and at the time, I had no idea who it was promoting. I actually thought it was some third party travel company promoting cruising in general. It wasn't until I saw the threads this morning I knew it was a Carnival Corp commercial. I think it was a nice commerical, but for the entire cruise industry, not just Carnival since it highlighted so many cruise lines. The average person isn't going to remember what all lines it included and/or excluded.

Edited by Aquahound

I only caught bits and pieces of the commercial when it aired and at the time, I had no idea who it was promoting. I actually thought it was some third party travel company promoting cruising in general. It wasn't until I saw the threads this morning I knew it was a Carnival Corp commercial. I think it was a nice commerical, but for the entire cruise industry, not just Carnival since it highlighted so many cruise lines. The average person isn't going to remember what all lines it included and/or excluded.

Those are the nine brands of Carnival Corp.

They are marketing across the brands now.

They are focusing on enticing non-cruisers to try cruising - on whichever of Carnival lines suits them best.

You can even take a test on their website to see what your best match is.

:eek:

My only problem was that by the time I realized the commercial was about cruising and Carnival Co. it seemed to be over without having time to read the logos of the various companies on the screen.:)

Off topic but tucked away in here so I don't derail anything - SAIL - I hope you're safe and warm and have lots of groceries in the pantry.:) Just caught on the news that another blizzard is on its way to you.:o

It is snowing very heavily right now and I have an additional 12" or so in my driveway. There's no way I could get a car out. They have only made one pass with the plow down the street and there's lots of cleaning up they need to do. My plow guy called and promised he'll take care of my driveway, like always... thankfully. :) Lights flickered about an hour ago but they came right back on. Fingers crossed I keep my power.

Hope all suffering this new storm are safe. I heard rumblings of another storm predicted for Thursday. That would not be the least bit funny.

Thank you for asking, Summersigh. It is kind of you.

Those are the nine brands of Carnival Corp.

They are marketing across the brands now.

They are focusing on enticing non-cruisers to try cruising - on whichever of Carnival lines suits them best.

You can even take a test on their website to see what your best match is.

I get all that, but I guarantee the average person has no idea who that commercial promoted and didn't promote.

My husband and I really like the ad, it engaged my memory and my sense of adventure. I also thought it was going to be a recruiting ad for the military and thought the Carnival "signature" was great. I said "Was that really JFK?" I loved it. I did not respond on the thread last night because most, except for Sail7Seas, were negative when I looked. Great ad Carnival!!!! JMO Cherie

Edited by cccole

I thought the ad was beautifully done and stirring, but using an audio clip of JFK's to sell cruises, well, just don't know.....

I thought the clip by President Kennedy fit the ad and the occasion.

I suppose there could have been other quotes used if not the one by JFK. Such as:

“My soul is full of longing

for the secret of the sea,

and the heart of the great ocean

sends a thrilling pulse through me.”

Or: "I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying."

or, to the point"

“There comes a time in a man's life when he hears the call of the sea. If the man has a brain in his head, he will hang up the phone immediately.”

:eek:

It is snowing very heavily right now and I have an additional 12" or so in my driveway. There's no way I could get a car out. They have only made one pass with the plow down the street and there's lots of cleaning up they need to do. My plow guy called and promised he'll take care of my driveway, like always... thankfully. :) Lights flickered about an hour ago but they came right back on. Fingers crossed I keep my power.

Hope all suffering this new storm are safe. I heard rumblings of another storm predicted for Thursday. That would not be the least bit funny.

Thank you for asking, Summersigh. It is kind of you.

Burrrrrrrrrr !!!! Listening to your description makes watching that cruising commercial with all its glorious locations even more welcome !:D

Edited by summersigh

Our society has gotten to a point where there is always someone who finds offense to just about everything. It seems it has become a full time avocation to scrutinize every word a person speaks or writes and contort it to the point offense can be twisted from it. It's become impossible to write or speak without someone objecting to the words.

Wow Sail. I do so agree as usual. That's why I don't post much anymore.

Wow Sail. I do so agree as usual. That's why I don't post much anymore.

No one's opinion or comments are any more important than yours. Please don't stop posting. It's fine if someone disagrees. As long as you know you intended no offense and didn't violate any CC rules, please..... participate. :)

I get all that, but I guarantee the average person has no idea who that commercial promoted and didn't promote.

I know now who the commercial was for; I knew it at the very end of the ad. But right up until the end of the ad I spent more time trying to figure out who it was for than I did paying attention to the ad itself.

I did recognize HAL ships in the ad, but also saw that there were ships from various lines; I didn't notice they were all CCL ships. I thought it was maybe sponsored by CLIA until it got to the end.

I know now who the commercial was for; I knew it at the very end of the ad. But right up until the end of the ad I spent more time trying to figure out who it was for than I did paying attention to the ad itself.

I did recognize HAL ships in the ad, but also saw that there were ships from various lines; I didn't notice they were all CCL ships. I thought it was maybe sponsored by CLIA until it got to the end.

But it held your attention right to the end. ;) :cool:

How many ads keep you watching all the way through? :D

Exactly my initial response to the ad as it was airing. Until the end I would have said it was an 'industry' ad.

Dennis

But it held your attention right to the end. ;) :cool:

How many ads keep you watching all the way through? :D

It held my attention because

1.) it was about cruising and

2.) it was a Super Bowl ad, and those are always something to watch.

It did not hold my attention because of the brand, which is a solid purpose in advertising. Based on that, I think the ad missed its mark.

..the ad also. It was apolitical as far as I'm concerned & simply metaphoric.

And, like others, I paid attention to see what the advertisement was trying to sell (sometimes difficult to determine these days).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/supersunday/superbowl-commercial-carnival/vi-AA8S1Wv

Now here is one of my favorites (the Centurion ad). I was looking to see if I recognized anyone on a recent HAL cruise :D

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/supersunday/super-bowl-commercial-dodge-challenger/vi-AA8SvZy

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

It held my attention because

1.) it was about cruising and

2.) it was a Super Bowl ad, and those are always something to watch.

It did not hold my attention because of the brand, which is a solid purpose in advertising. Based on that, I think the ad missed its mark.

There were lots of commercials this year like that. The Nissan commercial, for instance, didn't show the car till the end for a split second and some at the party I was at thought it was a different company. Also the dove mens commercial? what was that about.

Anyway, I liked the commercial as it represented the brand as a whole and not jut a specific line.

I knew nothing about a contest to choose the ad, nor did I watch the Super Bowl, but I did see all the ads last night on the internet. The JFK one was okay, did not offend me in any way, but really didn't sell me on cruising. I like the Message in a Bottle one more.

I agree that the Cruise Virgin ad was too crude. Yes, sex sells in Super Bowl ads and elsewhere, but there was an "icky" feel to some of the lines. "The first time was with my parents"? Eeew. And the one about it not lasting long enough was also cringe-inducing.

Was the one where the woman drops everything to catch a cruise also in the contest? That was totally stupid. I'll take JFK or the little girl any day.