Picture Review of SUNSHINE and Western Caribbean Ports of Call

mpcaruth

I have had to work very hard for what I have (including paying for my own college education), so I have a hard time wasting money, even if I can afford it.

I truly think the key to good cruise prices is booking EARLY. I typically book 10-12 months in advance, and have only seen the price drop once after booking.

I agree with both of your above statements. Been there, done that. :)

I am intrigued by your Avatar. What is it if you don't mind sharing?

My avatar is a picture of a tiny hermit crab I was holding in Curacao.

By the everyone... I am sitting at Scotchies in Jamaica now waiting to be served their famous Jerk Pork! We are on the Norwegian Getaway this week and having a great time with perfect weather. Thank you Scotchies for the free wifi! Hey Mon, have a good day!!!

Limelight Lounge - The main theater is what I would call a hybrid room. It is set up as the main theater during the day, but at night, the chairs on the floor are removed and wall partitions/curtains block the stadium seats. And voila: it's the dancing night club. Very practical, to maximize the use of the space on the renovated ship. I have always thought Carnival has the best main theaters because the seating is comfortable and small tables and drink holders are provided for the floor seating area. The Limelight Lounge just felt cheap and uncomfortable. Not a big deal, but just noted.

Recording of the Morning Show with Jaime:

P1080644_zpstmbcsvxt.jpg

(see what I mean about cheap looking seating?)

P1080646_zpsytjatscq.jpg

P1080647_zpsm4xio49o.jpg

Bar at the back of the Limelight Lounge:

P1080648_zpsvgxqsuok.jpg

Intriguing and inviting entrance:

P1080640_zpsbnx7jemh.jpg

Hi, and thank you for your review on the Carnival Sunshine. Just booked a cruise to Bermuda for Oct. 1 and I can see by your photo of the main lounge what you mean. It does look uncomfortable; seating wise. I just wonder why they didn't change it. On their other ships, the main lounges are beautiful and not soo cheap looking. Thanks also for your tips. I just sent off a request for a table. I hope I hear soon. I love your pictures as well. This is just a great review.

Mary49,

The theater is set up to easily convert from a main show theater during the day and early evening to a night club and dance floor for late night clubbing. It's a great concept for maximizing the use of space. Thanks, and glad you enjoyed the review. Bermuda is AWESOME. You should check out my signature for a link to my Bermuda cruise review. We ported there for 3 days and I swear we did about 75% of what the island offered. Have fun on your cruise!

My avatar is a picture of a tiny hermit crab I was holding in Curacao.

By the everyone... I am sitting at Scotchies in Jamaica now waiting to be served their famous Jerk Pork! We are on the Norwegian Getaway this week and having a great time with perfect weather. Thank you Scotchies for the free wifi! Hey Mon, have a good day!!!

I'm looking forward to your review of the Getaway....hopefully you're planning on doing one :)

• 1 month later...
It is definitely a personal opinion.... I have had FTTF on every one of my 6 cruises and have it on the next 2 CCL ones also. I LOVED IT and felt it was a great investment every time. Always been on early..room was ready every time and only once had to wait more than 30 min for our luggage!

And seeing as they are mostly snapped up within minutes of being released (when they have been sold out)...Some others have definitely had a great experience with it also! :o

Love your Sunshine review!! We are on her for the second time in 16 days!!!

I love FTTF too! Especially when tendering to Hal Moon Cay!

• 2 weeks later...
Disembarking on the sunshine what deck is it on?

It's been a little while, but I am pretty sure (95%) that you embark and disembark the Sunshine on the Lobby Deck (deck 3) while at Port Canaveral (home port). The Carnival ship home ports typically have a covered ramped gangway leading up from the port terminal building to the lowest level deck of the atrium. However, boarding at ports of call are on a lower deck directly level with the dock or tender ship.

It's been a little while, but I am pretty sure (95%) that you embark and disembark the Sunshine on the Lobby Deck (deck 3) while at Port Canaveral (home port). The Carnival ship home ports typically have a covered ramped gangway leading up from the port terminal building to the lowest level deck of the atrium. However, boarding at ports of call are on a lower deck directly level with the dock or tender ship.

Yes, it's 3. They will send you to deck 4, liquid lounge, to wait. But it will be deck three when they call your number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to your review of the Getaway....hopefully you're planning on doing one :)

Yesterday I finally started my Getaway cruise review. It was a very good cruise and we got to witness the rescue of 17 Cubans on a homemade raft who had been floating out at sea for 21 days. Unbelievable!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331862

Also yesterday, I booked our next cruise: The Sunshine again, except this time from my homestate: Norfolk Virginia.

Absolutely love your reviews! Thanks for putting the time into sharing your experience for the benefit of others! Will you sail in the same stateroom category (4J) on your upcoming Sunshine cruise? We are debating a cruise on the Sunshine next year in a 4J (with stops in Grand Turks and Amber Cove) or an ocean view on the Navigator of the Seas (with stops in Nassau and Cozumel). Any advice on helping us decide would be welcomed:)

Absolutely love your reviews! Thanks for putting the time into sharing your experience for the benefit of others! Will you sail in the same stateroom category (4J) on your upcoming Sunshine cruise? We are debating a cruise on the Sunshine next year in a 4J (with stops in Grand Turks and Amber Cove) or an ocean view on the Navigator of the Seas (with stops in Nassau and Cozumel). Any advice on helping us decide would be welcomed:)

Yes, I have booked a 4J category again. It's just so roomy, convenient, and a bargain.

Which one? Sunshine to Grand Turk & Amber Cove, or Navigator to Cozumel & Nassau.

That's a no brainer for me! GT & Amber Cove. Just about every cruise I have been on either stops a Cozumel or Nassau. So, I don't think I would ever plan a cruise with just those two (unless it was rock bottom price and was an extra cruise for me that year). GT is nice and you don't have to spend a cent there, if you don't want to (plus it has a dock- come and go back to the ship as you please). Or you could rent a golf cart and explore the other side of the island. Another thing I want to do at GT is take a snorkeling tour to the great wall drop off. And Amber Cove I am really excited to visit someday. I have been to 2 other Dominican Republic ports and absolutely LOVE that country. Get off the beaten path and discover the culture and nature. We took an amazing ATV excursion in Samana to waterfalls and a secluded beach, and in La Romana, we did the awesome Seavis tour to Saona Island.

Now the ships: I have sailed on the Explorer of the Seas which is a sister ship to the Navigator. That class ship is super nice (grand open promenade, ice show, classy)! If cost and itinerary were NOT a factor, I would choose the Navigator. However, the Navigator's itinerary stinks, and I doubt you can cruise the Navigator cheaper than the Sunshine (at least not significantly cheaper.

Yes, I have booked a 4J category again. It's just so roomy, convenient, and a bargain.

Which one? Sunshine to Grand Turk & Amber Cove, or Navigator to Cozumel & Nassau.

That's a no brainer for me! GT & Amber Cove. Just about every cruise I have been on either stops a Cozumel or Nassau. So, I don't think I would ever plan a cruise with just those two (unless it was rock bottom price and was an extra cruise for me that year). GT is nice and you don't have to spend a cent there, if you don't want to (plus it has a dock- come and go back to the ship as you please). Or you could rent a golf cart and explore the other side of the island. Another thing I want to do at GT is take a snorkeling tour to the great wall drop off. And Amber Cove I am really excited to visit someday. I have been to 2 other Dominican Republic ports and absolutely LOVE that country. Get off the beaten path and discover the culture and nature. We took an amazing ATV excursion in Samana to waterfalls and a secluded beach, and in La Romana, we did the awesome Seavis tour to Saona Island.

Now the ships: I have sailed on the Explorer of the Seas which is a sister ship to the Navigator. That class ship is super nice (grand open promenade, ice show, classy)! If cost and itinerary were NOT a factor, I would choose the Navigator. However, the Navigator's itinerary stinks, and I doubt you can cruise the Navigator cheaper than the Sunshine (at least not significantly cheaper.

Thanks again for your very valuable feedback!

• 3 months later...
Our cabin, 3127, was a 4J, Interior with Picture Window (obstructed views), located on the Lobby Deck. I chose this cabin for a few reasons: 1) interior cabin price with a window, 2) cabin is 220 s.f. compared to the 185 s.f. interior and balcony cabins, 3) it was a newly added cabin and therefore had a mini fridge, 4) ability to place deck chairs outside of cabin window for a simulated "balcony", and 5) convenient location off the lobby. This cabin would have been perfect had we not heard occasional footsteps/rolling above. It wasn't really loud and we sleep with a fan running, so this was not a big deal for us. I would book this cabin area again.

Sunshine%20cabin_zpsndsae993.jpg

P1080553_zpsamv0r29b.jpg

P1080550_zps7lbx2ail.jpg

There is a small, unstocked, refrigerator in the lower cabinet:

P1080554_zpsvnfyeuki.jpg

P1080555_zpsxkzy6nsz.jpg

Thermostat in cabin (by the way, we never had an issue with being either hot or cold on the ship).

Love the pictures, we actually have this same exact cabin booked for Feb 2017 and with me, my husband and 2 kids it doesnt look as cramped as some of the other cabins and I LOVE the view, I think we may have found ourselves a good deal on a room ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Love the pictures, we actually have this same exact cabin booked for Feb 2017 and with me, my husband and 2 kids it doesnt look as cramped as some of the other cabins and I LOVE the view, I think we may have found ourselves a good deal on a room ;)

We have booked the Sunshine for next summer out of Norfolk and have chosen a 4J cabin again. My brother's family also booked a 4J. Proof that I really liked that cabin class!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Our cabin, 3127, was a 4J, Interior with Picture Window (obstructed views), located on the Lobby Deck. I chose this cabin for a few reasons: 1) interior cabin price with a window, 2) cabin is 220 s.f. compared to the 185 s.f. interior and balcony cabins, 3) it was a newly added cabin and therefore had a mini fridge, 4) ability to place deck chairs outside of cabin window for a simulated "balcony", and 5) convenient location off the lobby. This cabin would have been perfect had we not heard occasional footsteps/rolling above. It wasn't really loud and we sleep with a fan running, so this was not a big deal for us. I would book this cabin area again.

Sunshine%20cabin_zpsndsae993.jpg

I was wondering if there was any noise from the atrium or guest service area.

Was there much crowding around guest service and the hallway entrance.

We have the 1st cabin booked next to guest service?

Thanks

I was wondering if there was any noise from the atrium or guest service area.

Was there much crowding around guest service and the hallway entrance.

We have the 1st cabin booked next to guest service?

Thanks

No noise issues from Guest Services or the Atrium. The cabin area is separated by the elevator area, Guest Services corridor/hall, and doors. Now, on the last cruise night, the line to guest services was long and you had to meander through a few people to get to the doors to the cabin area. Besides that, the guest service area is quiet.

If you look in this picture, taken from the center of the Atrium, you can see the far aft of Guest Services. The line for Guest Services goes to the left of this photo (ship's forward). This corridor and the cabin area doors really do block out the atrium noise.

P1080588_zpswe3ed0fc.jpg

This picture shows the elevator banks with Guest Services in the lower right (looking forward):

P1080590_zps0cqlvarp.jpg

Fabulous review! So many things I didn't get to do on Sunshine, guess I'll have to go again. Only I was with a group of fb friends, over 200, and many of us got sick. I had no appetite the last sea day and went down hill from there to NO energy and no appetite for 3 weeks. Started feeling better and got a cold. Many in hospital with flu or pneumonia when they got back.

Your port reviews gave me all kinds of ideas for things to look forward to. I'm subscribing so as I get closer to my cruise I can go over some of the port ideas.

Thank you so much!

Fabulous review! So many things I didn't get to do on Sunshine, guess I'll have to go again. Only I was with a group of fb friends, over 200, and many of us got sick. I had no appetite the last sea day and went down hill from there to NO energy and no appetite for 3 weeks. Started feeling better and got a cold. Many in hospital with flu or pneumonia when they got back.

Your port reviews gave me all kinds of ideas for things to look forward to. I'm subscribing so as I get closer to my cruise I can go over some of the port ideas.

Thank you so much!

Fortunately, I have never been on a cruise and become sick. Sorry you all became ill. If you are interested in port ideas, I have many other cruise reviews with lots of port photos and advice. The links to the reviews are provided in my signature.

As many have the signatures turned off, especially with mobile devices, I will provide the links:

Cruise Picture Reviews:

Norwegian Getaway to Great Stirrup Cay, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and Cozumel http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331862

Carnival Sunshine to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169332

Carnival Fascination to Half Moon Cay and Nassau: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066091

Norwegian Jewel to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976718

Carnival Freedom to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781515

Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728780

My favorite cruise - Carnival Freedom to Panama, Costa Rica, & Cozumel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1347741

Carnival Dream to Nassau, St. Martin, and St. Thomas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584851

Carnival Sensation to Nassau & Freeport (Tripwow):http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262795

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
If you are interested in port ideas, I have many other cruise reviews with lots of port photos and advice. The links to the reviews are provided in my signature.

As many have the signatures turned off, especially with mobile devices, I will provide the links:

Cruise Picture Reviews:

Carnival Sunshine to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169332

WOW! Such an awesome review of the Carnival Sunshine!! I'll be cruising to the Eastern Caribbean (from Port Canaveral) on the Sunshine in 27 days! I'm so VERY excited to see your 4J cabin review (with photos), as I have also booked a 4J cabin (#3124). I've never had a 4J cabin before, as we usually try to book balcony cabins, (if $$$$ allows,) but this cruise, $$$ is tight. I'm very excited to see the photos of the "non-obstructed obstructed view" out the cabin window. I'm also thrilled that the cabin is 220 square feet, instead of the usual 185. I didn't know that!!! I cruised on the Sunshine when she was still the Destiny, and I'm looking forward to cruising on her since her refurbishment. Thanks again for your wonderful review.