Zuiderdam - will we be able to use the Crow's Nest?

Stratheden

We will be on the post dry dock 22 day Mediterranean cruise 14th April - 6th May.

According to the HAL website the deck plans are changing 9/10 May - but the next cruise starts 6th May. New cabins on Decks 10 and 11 are being built.

Two questions.

1. Will we be able to access the Crows Nest and Exploration Cafe on the 14th April cruise as it appears those new cabins will not be ready for that sailing - hopefully the noise won't be too bad. Perhaps carpets and furniture etc? :(

2. Where will those who book a 6th May cruise in one of the new cabins sleep until 10th May. :D (Tongue in cheek).

Unfortunately we had to book this cruise as it fits with two other land tours that we will be doing.

Where are they putting the new cabins?

I know decks 10/11 but what spaces are they taking up?

Before May 9

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=zu&deck=o&deep=0

and after

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=zu_2&deck=o&deep=0

Edited by jtl513

We are also on this cruise on the Zuiderdam after dry dock and would LOVE to hear from anyone who was on the Noordam after it's dry dock where they added these cabins on the Observation deck like they will be doing for the Zuiderdam. Were there any problems encountered on the Noordam immediately after that dry dock? Thanks.

• 3 months later...
No we didn't get to see them because they weren't finished by the time we disembarked. We couldn't use the Crow's Nest for the first week of the cruise either. :(

Oh my goodness! I bolded your last remark..Not being able to use the Crows Nest for an entire week would have made me quite upset..:( You seem to be taking it in stride, but hope you registered a strong complaint with HAL.. Where did all of the Psgrs who normally use the Crows Nest park themselves on sea days? :confused:

Edited by serendipity1499

Oh my goodness! I bolded your last remark..Not being able to use the Crows Nest for an entire week would have made me quite upset..:( You seem to be taking it in stride, but hope you registered a strong complaint with HAL.. Where did all of the Psgrs who normally use the Crows Nest park themselves on sea days? :confused:

It was a bit disappointing but it did not spoil the cruise. The Explorations Café was not open either but after the first day they opened a temporary cafe in the Atrium bar mid ship. All passengers were compensated with a nice on board credit if not used was credited back to our credit cards at the end of the cruise. The crows nest was opened on the 8th day around noon time. The Italian contractors had gone on strike for 3-4 days while the ship was in dry dock. That is why the crows nest was not available. Most people found other places to sit instead of the crows nest, besides this was a very port intensive cruise so we did not have the time to sit in the Crows Nest even if it was available. We saw no reason to register any complaints. It was a great cruise!

We did not get to see the new rooms since they were blocked off to passengers since they were not completed while we were on board.

Thank you for coming back to let us know what happened. I'm sorry you lost use of Crows Nest and Exploration Café. Disappointing but happy the cruise otherwise seems to have been good.

It was a bit disappointing but it did not spoil the cruise. The Explorations Café was not open either but after the first day they opened a temporary cafe in the Atrium bar mid ship. All passengers were compensated with a nice on board credit if not used was credited back to our credit cards at the end of the cruise. The crows nest was opened on the 8th day around noon time. The Italian contractors had gone on strike for 3-4 days while the ship was in dry dock. That is why the crows nest was not available. Most people found other places to sit instead of the crows nest, besides this was a very port intensive cruise so we did not have the time to sit in the Crows Nest even if it was available. We saw no reason to register any complaints. It was a great cruise!

We did not get to see the new rooms since they were blocked off to passengers since they were not completed while we were on board.

Understand.. Thanks for your clarification.. Glad to know that everything worked out for you & happy to hear you had a wonderful cruise..

But the person I questioned started this thread & made it clear that they wanted to use the Crows Nest & then told us that they could not use the Crows Nest also using the frown in his last post.. Therefore, I used that post, to ask if he/she registered a complaint.. Understand you may be satisfied, but still wonder if the OP was satisfied..

Even though it was a port intensive cruise, sometimes Psgrs. can't or don't want to spend an entire day in port & would like to go up to the Crows Nest instead.. We've done that in several ports, especially those which we've been in many times before..

Edited by serendipity1499

One observation that I would make by the decision to place the new cabins above the Hydrothermal Pool on the Noordam: there was condensation on the ceiling of the Hydrothermal Pool post-retrofit that had not been there pre-retrofit. Did not alter my enjoyment of the facility, but I have to wonder if HAL has created another maintenance issue (i.e.cost issue?) for sometime in the future?

I would never book a cruise on a ship pre/post drydock, or even a maiden voyage. I've read way to many times on the different boards here where various areas were not completed, construction still going on, etc.

Understand.. Thanks for your clarification.. Glad to know that everything worked out for you & happy to hear you had a wonderful cruise..

But the person I questioned started this thread & made it clear that they wanted to use the Crows Nest & then told us that they could not use the Crows Nest also using the frown in his last post.. Therefore, I used that post, to ask if he/she registered a complaint.. Understand you may be satisfied, but still wonder if the OP was satisfied..

Even though it was a port intensive cruise, sometimes Psgrs. can't or don't want to spend an entire day in port & would like to go up to the Crows Nest instead.. We've done that in several ports, especially those which we've been in many times before..

i didn't complain as I knew about the Italian labour strike - it was not HAL fault.

We did spend a lot of time on our balcony this cruise and we really enjoyed it.

The only thing I did complain about was the terrible tea now available and the lack of PG Tips.

Crows Nest and Exploration are working as normal.

The only difference is outside, where the cabanas have been placed and obviously behind the elevators, where the additional cabins have been 'planted'.

I had a very quick 'snoop' of an inside (stateroom attendant was cleaning and had left door open while working). Seemed more modern and brighter than other rooms, but layout much as expected. (i have not seen an inside cabin before, so can't really comment.)

Here's a link to images of the cabanas

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/colinm-photob/media/Zuiderdam%20May%202015%20Retreat%20Cabanas/DSCN0936.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I would never book a cruise on a ship pre/post drydock, or even a maiden voyage. I've read way to many times on the different boards here where various areas were not completed, construction still going on, etc.

We were on the Zuiderdam right before she sailed to Europe for her dry dock. Nothing happened -- just some engineers running around with their blue prints checking over everything.

i didn't complain as I knew about the Italian labour strike - it was not HAL fault.

The only thing I did complain about was the terrible tea now available and the lack of PG Tips.

PG Tips were available on the Zuiderdam on the May 17th cruise ex Barcelona.

What do you mean that PG Tips were available?

What do you mean that PG Tips were available?

PG Tips were available in the MDR - our waiters knew that we wanted them and made sure that they kept some for us.

Every few days a container of them would appear in the Lido but they only lasted an hour or so and they were all gone.

Yes, the tea the ship used were terrible. My wife said the bags were the worst she has ever used. You needed to let the bags sit in the hot water for a long time to get any flavor and by that time the water was cool. So she would use 2 bags to get any flavor. She did find out that if you put the bag in first and then pour water on it would work a little better. HAL needs to go back to their original tea.