Bottled water

BlessedAZWife

Thank you all for the great information! After reading all of your comments, I realized that you are all correct. The ship water must be fine as we drink it at dinner in the MDR, our coffee, juice and ice for our drinks is made with it. We brush our teeth and shower in it. To be honest, I had been going on the recommendation of a friend who has cruised extensively and says that they NEVER drink the ship water. One less worry! Won't be dragging a case of water on board!! Thanks!

As for the need to drink so much water...my Dr. says that at least 90% of all people are mildly dehydrated. So, we try to drink at least 1/2 our body weight in ounces in water per day. Since we started this regimen, so many of our little physical annoyances have disappeared.

Again, thanks for all of your thoughtful and insightful comments!!

As for the need to drink so much water...my Dr. says that at least 90% of all people are mildly dehydrated. So, we try to drink at least 1/2 our body weight in ounces in water per day. Since we started this regimen, so many of our little physical annoyances have disappeared.

Can you please elaborate on this? If you weigh 160 lbs. does that mean you drink 80 oz. of water per day or???

Thanks.

Hi Thrak,

"Can you please elaborate on this? If you weigh 160 lbs. does that mean you drink 80 oz. of water per day or???"

Yes, that is exactly correct. If you weigh 200 lbs. you would drink 100 oz. of water per day. Drinking enough water enables your body to flush toxins and keep things working as they should.

Between my hubby and me, there are several minor physical complaints that have all but disappeared and/or drastically diminished since we started this water regimen. Of course, you can count other water based fluids in your 80 oz. just not those with sugar or aspartame. And believe me, when I am on a cruise, my fluid intake is more geared towards "fun" fluid than water. However, I figure a couple weeks out of the year is not going to kill me!

Why waste your money when the water is perfectly fine on the ship. The ships water purification system is as good or not better than what you get in the bottled water you buy at the store. In our 13 cruises with Princess we have found the water to be just fine.

I'll jump in here because of the OP's comment about "safe" water, and this urban myth quoted above.

As per the article that you provided later, water is made by evaporation or reverse osmosis. A third source is shore water. All three sources are chlorinated to sanitize them before they go into the ship's tanks, and are further chlorinated when distributed throughout the ship. Unlike at home, the water constantly recirculates, and is required to be constantly monitored at the furthest point, and continually chlorinated to maintain a residual chlorine level, which is not what your municipal water supply does (it just chlorinates, or brominates, and then pushes it out to your house, and the halogen dissipates naturally the longer the water is sitting still in the pipes, so there is no control over the water quality at your house). Water onboard cruise ships that call at US ports must meet USPH sanitation standards for production, loading, handling, and chlorination.

Many people have heard that "something" is added back to the distilled water, and this is true, but not salt or other minerals "for taste". Distilled water is slightly acidic, and will tend to attract minerals from wherever it can get them (piping or your teeth and body over long periods), unless neutralized. This is done using Calcium Carbonate (the same ingredient in Tums).

Water produced by reverse osmosis can have some salt or minerals in it, but this is only a portion of the water onboard (it is all mixed together), but the main culprits in water retention are the salt in the food onboard, and the chlorine in the water. This chlorine does affect water retention. If you feel that you are retaining water, try getting water from the drink stations, water dispensers, or bars onboard, as these outlets have carbon filters to remove the chlorine (more for maintenance of the equipment than taste). This is why many people feel the water in these dining venues tastes better than the cabin water. It is all the same, some just has the chlorine removed at point of use.

I have a question for you. On some ship my BP goes up. I normally have low BP and take no medicine for it.

This seems to happen to me on older ships. It happened on two cruises on Azamara Journey, on Tahitian Princess, Monarch of the seas . Do the older ships treat their water the same way.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

I wonder the same thing & like at home use a wide mouth 20oz refillable Brita water filter bottle that makes it easy to add ice cubes.

I have never heard of sodium being added to ship water. To me there is plenty of sodium in the food & is more likely the reason why some may have water retention. I don't think the water on the ship is processed like soft water using sodium. I'm certainly not an expert however I am very skeptical that it adds any sodium.

Cruise Critic feels the water is safe:

"Water, water everywhere. No need to lug a case of water with you when you go cruising. The tap water on cruise ships is completely safe and drinkable, having been through rigorous filtration and testing, all of which are overseen by U.S. and European heath agencies. While some cruisers claim that the tap water in restaurants and bars tastes different from what comes out of the cabin bathroom, it is all, in fact, the same water".

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1475

Sorry I mistakenly sent this using the very annoying

Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by paddingtonbear

I have a question for you. On some ship my BP goes up. I normally have low BP and take no medicine for it.

This seems to happen to me on older ships. It happened on two cruises on Azamara Journey, on Tahitian Princess, Monarch of the seas . Do the older ships treat their water the same way.

It cannot be the ships water because reverse osmosis removes sodium from water.

Your higher BP could be due to any number of reasons. It could be the higher level of salt in the food than you are used to or simply different food. If so drinking more water should neutralise it to a degree.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually, the older ships tend more towards evaporators than reverse osmosis, so the water is closer to distilled. Your BP increase is probably due to water retention, which can be caused by salt in the food, or chlorine used to sanitize the water. Perhaps the older ships' monitoring and/or dosing equipment is not up to par, but that would be a reach for me. Perhaps the older, smaller ships don't require as much walking, so you retain more water.

Actually, the older ships tend more towards evaporators than reverse osmosis, so the water is closer to distilled. Your BP increase is probably due to water retention, which can be caused by salt in the food, or chlorine used to sanitize the water. Perhaps the older ships' monitoring and/or dosing equipment is not up to par, but that would be a reach for me. Perhaps the older, smaller ships don't require as much walking, so you retain more water.

As far as I could see I did not see any water retention. It does not mean that it was not there, I just did not see any.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't play one on TV...) but I would say it's coincidence or something else and not ship size.

I know you are not a doctor or play one on TV. But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express?:)

It may be a coincidence, but it has happen a lot on the older ship. I just don'e know the answer.

• 7 months later...
Thank you all for the great information! After reading all of your comments, I realized that you are all correct. The ship water must be fine as we drink it at dinner in the MDR, our coffee, juice and ice for our drinks is made with it. We brush our teeth and shower in it. To be honest, I had been going on the recommendation of a friend who has cruised extensively and says that they NEVER drink the ship water. One less worry! Won't be dragging a case of water on board!! Thanks!

You can drink as much as you want. Ship water is very safe to drink plus you will have a bottle of water in your cabin to purchase so you don't need to run to bar and buy one if you need. People who bring water cases on board really safe maybe 20$ for cruise . I will not bother to carry havy box of water with me for this amount :rolleyes:

I only take a small number anymore (like 4 for two of us). Ship's water is quite pure so I just refill as needed.

Just bring a water bottle (we have stainless steel ones that keep ice for 12 hours) and you don't need to bring any bottled water at all.