deleting automatic gratuities

According to RCI FAQs adjustments to standard gratuities indicates that you did not receive satisfactory service. I would assume that this means a black mark on the record of your servers, including the ones that you are attempting to reward with all your tip money.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5527

Q: Why would I need to modify my gratuity amounts?

A: In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Any modifications or adjustments to your gratuities are required to be requested before you depart your cruise.

I have not done prepaid gratuities. Am I able to have guest services just 0 them all out for my cabins party? Then just give cash to the folks at the end of the cruise in the envelopes; do we still get the envelopes even?

you have to explain why. they pretty much assume that if you remove them that the service rendered was sub par and the stuff will get yelled at and asked to explain WHY you removed all the tips. you can claim all you want that would rather give it in person, but they will take that with grain of salt. and really, they may have to pool any cash tip anyway

if you do not trust the cruise line to be fair then do not sail that cruise line. anything else just reeks of cheapness and self importance by making yourself look and feel good.

the auto charge daily is the most efficient method of making sure EVERYONE gets their fair share. if you find that the service has been outstanding in some areas, then give extra on top at the end in cash. if you find it is lousy than COMPLAIN FIRST before removing the tip.

Under normal circumstances, you cannot remove prepaid gratuities. If my memory serves, I believe I once read here that someone got them removed by making a huge scene at Guest Services. I've not read that more than once, so it may not be reliable info.

Prepaid gratuities have been removed with no reason needed. I was behind a guy at guest services who removed the grats for four cabins on the Vision in Nov 14. No explanation for this was offered or asked for. I was amazed as I though prepaid meant prepaid! The were definitely NOT the added every day kind. Maybe he had an ongoing issue that was not discussed at that visit, but he asked if they would be credited back to his card or given in OBC.

Edited by Brit-Cruiser

you have to explain why. they pretty much assume that if you remove them that the service rendered was sub par and the stuff will get yelled at and asked to explain WHY you removed all the tips. you can claim all you want that would rather give it in person, but they will take that with grain of salt. and really, they may have to pool any cash tip anyway

if you do not trust the cruise line to be fair then do not sail that cruise line. anything else just reeks of cheapness and self importance by making yourself look and feel good.

the auto charge daily is the most efficient method of making sure EVERYONE gets their fair share. if you find that the service has been outstanding in some areas, then give extra on top at the end in cash. if you find it is lousy than COMPLAIN FIRST before removing the tip.

Great post!! We like to pre paid the gratuities and at the end we always tip extra. BTW, years ago I saw a picture that someone took during a galley tour with a list of the tables that were taking away the gratuities... I wouldn't trust anyone that knows that I'm removing their gratuities with my food... :eek::eek:

Great post!! We like to pre paid the gratuities and at the end we always tip extra. BTW, years ago I saw a picture that someone took during a galley tour with a list of the tables that were taking away the gratuities... I wouldn't trust anyone that knows that I'm removing their gratuities with my food... :eek::eek:

It is alleged, that this piece of paper is known to RCI crew as the "SPIT LIST" :eek:

But this is just an unfounded allegation, being just a rumour, or office chat, and not based on fact. Unless somebody knows different. :rolleyes:

true..I have seen that list on the cabin stewards' carts as well.

The way I understand it, any cash ON TOP OF the prepaid/auto charges money they can keep( same with any extra you assign on top of the bar tab's automatic 15 or 18%)

but if you remove that daily surcharge ANY cash they get must be pooled. so in the long run they could end up being shortchanged by your actions.

you have to understand that that daily fee actually also helps out people YOU NEVER SEE. it also covers every meal you eat, not just ones where you are served.

Also, with only the 3 or 4 folks we are to tip (waiters, room attendants) it isn't an inconvenience to track people down to give them the cash....in my opinion.

So much more convenient to leave the automatic tips in place.

Also, the tips cover more than 3-4 people. You don't have the same wait staff for every meal - breakfast, lunch, dinner, as an example; nor the behind-the-scenes staff.

It is alleged, that this piece of paper is known to RCI crew as the "SPIT LIST" :eek:

But this is just an unfounded allegation, being just a rumour, or office chat, and not based on fact. Unless somebody knows different. :rolleyes:

One could make a compelling case that anyone on that list still has the opportunity to tip in cash and thus the wait staff still has the opportunity to provide good service and earn a gratuity. No waiter has the time or inclination to spit in peoples food. No one here should spread rumor or believe such complete and total nonsense as to the staff messing with peoples food and / or other personal belongings.

Yes, they DO know.

We always prepaid, but after two days noted our account was being debited with the daily charge.

Off to GR with our paid invoice as evidence. GR said leave with us to resolve and would remove the two days of gratutities.

That evening the MD attended our table to apologise and investigate possible poor service, because he was advised that we had removed gratutities.

How do you know who should receive tips during your cruise?
How do you know who should receive a tip in all the rest of life's activities that don't involve cruising? And how did we figure it out on cruises before they "invented" automatic charges?

Beat me to it. Silly question, indeed. The very concept of a "tip" or gratuity is to reward those who have personally given you outstanding service. RCI has perverted it, and I agree wholeheartedly with those who say they should at least call it a "service charge" instead of a tip or gratuity, which it isn't at all with their "automatic gratuities" system.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

you have to understand that that daily fee actually also helps out people YOU NEVER SEE.

Again, it would be much easier to understand that, if RCI would quit improperly labeling it a gratuity. You don't give tips/gratuities to people YOU NEVER SEE. Its a service charge, and RCI perpetuates the misunderstanding and confusion by not labeling it as such.

Beat me to it. Silly question, indeed. The very concept of a "tip" or gratuity is to reward those who have personally given you outstanding service. RCI has perverted it, and I agree wholeheartedly with those who say they should at least call it a "service charge" instead of a tip or gratuity, which it isn't at all with their "automatic gratuities" system.

Okay, yes, that would be more accurate, but it's also more relaxing to not worry about whether or not they're using the most accurate terminology, and just enjoy your vacation, with the automatic daily gratuities/tips/service-charge in place, knowing that all members of the service staff are being taken care of. Then, if you get any really outstanding service that you want to recognize, you are free to reward it as you see fit.

Simple, straightforward, and it doesn't require wasting any of your vacation time at the Guest Services counter.

Edited by Paul65

Again, it would be much easier to understand that, if RCI would quit improperly labeling it a gratuity. You don't give tips/gratuities to people YOU NEVER SEE. Its a service charge, and RCI perpetuates the misunderstanding and confusion by not labeling it as such.

semantics. I don't use the term petrol in daily conversation but I know it's gas for my car.

You don't give tips/gratuities to people YOU NEVER SEE.

If you dine in US restaurants and leave a tip, you very likely do exactly that. In most cases, a portion of what you leave goes to the "busboy" who cleared the table and got it ready for you, before you were seated, and cleans it up after you leave. And if you ordered any bar drinks, a portion of the tip probably went to the bartender, even if the bar is completely out of sight of the table at which you're dining. Tips in such situations routinely go to people who are behind-the-scenes of providing you a nice meal out; it's not only for the servers who take your order, refill you glass and deliver the food to your table.

I think we're seeing a lot of these questions because "tipping" is a very confusing concept. I know, some don't think it's confusing at all and I am not really confused by it, but if you're a newbie the whole concept of "tipping" on a cruise is a little convoluted. There are a lot of threads on the subject because the way the cruise line handles it (working towards making all tips mandatory and automatic) kind of perverts the concept.

We always pay the tips (we paid even when they were just suggested instead of forced), but it does take some of the joy out it by making it so impersonal. It's confusing because it's no longer really a tip. It's a service fee or subsidy (in many cases).

Perhaps there were be fewer questions if RCI changed some of their terminology or explained what how it worked better in their literature and website.

Tom

There were a lot of threads on the topic when the cruise line handled it differently, and it was just a suggested amount and not automatic at all. It was laid out precisely how it worked, and how much should go to each individual person, and it still generated a lot of debate and discussion, and people second-guessing the guidelines.

Edited by Paul65

As info, you could prepay gratuities prior to the auto gratuity start in 2013. I have always done this as I prefer it to having to track everyone down on the last night to give them tip nor did I have to worry about having the cash available to tip.

OIC. That was before my time likely (at least on here). I just see people ask stuff like "If it's a tip how come they charge it automatically?" so I thought it was a more modern paradigm.

I don't really care. We just pay what they ask and have a great cruise and we'd tip anyway, but I can see where it could confuse a lot of people.

Tom

There were a lot of threads on the topic when the cruise line handled it differently, and it was just a suggested amount and not automatic at all. It was laid out precisely how it worked, and how much should go to each individual person, and it still generated a lot of debate and discussion, and people second-guessing the guidelines.

true..I have seen that list on the cabin stewards' carts as well.

The way I understand it, any cash ON TOP OF the prepaid/auto charges money they can keep( same with any extra you assign on top of the bar tab's automatic 15 or 18%)

but if you remove that daily surcharge ANY cash they get must be pooled. so in the long run they could end up being shortchanged by your actions.

you have to understand that that daily fee actually also helps out people YOU NEVER SEE. it also covers every meal you eat, not just ones where you are served.

Do you know this to be a fact?

Do you know this to be a fact?

I have asked. some say this is the case, some do not( different cruise lines, different employees of the same cruise line) but the majority did say that this was the policy, so I go by majority rules.

and since there IS a list generated of what tips get removed by whom I have no reason to doubt the overall general truth of the statement. of course there will always be exceptions.

I have asked. some say this is the case, some do not( different cruise lines, different employees of the same cruise line) but the majority did say that this was the policy, so I go by majority rules.

and since there IS a list generated of what tips get removed by whom I have no reason to doubt the overall general truth of the statement. of course there will always be exceptions.

How on Earth do they know who has given cash and to what amount? What if you tip your steward some extra cash day one, but remove your gratuities at the end? What if you leave money on tables in the buffet? What if you add tips to every drink but remove your auto gratuities? What if I keep my tips on and you are in the room next to me and take your tips off and give cash; how do they know that was cash you gave (to the pool) and not cash I gave (for them to keep). Do you mean to say my additional cash goes into a pool to subsidize those that did not contribute to the pool? Do you have any sort of proof of this? I find this highly unlikely and difficult or impossible for the cruise line to monitor.

Well, this is a first. I'm going to agree with both LMaxwell AND LetsGetWet. All we need is one or both of the PennState twins and I'm buying my first lotto ticket tonight.

If they would simply change it to a non-removable SERVICE CHARGE and let anyone who wanted to TIP beyond that just give them cash, most of these problems might solve themselves. I say might because you should never underestimate the stupidity of human beings, especially in large groups.

Not being a lawyer, especially an international maritime one, I don't know how that would change how these people get paid. However, it would certainly make it less of a question and no one would ever have to stump for their side ever again.

I don't get the paranoia and the rumor-mongering that goes on in tip threads.

These people work their butts off, let them get paid.

"Jimmy from Samoa smiled at me every night except for the 3rd night. I think he was mad at me. What a bum. I'm deducting 25% of his tip!"

"I didn't use the head waiter for anything. DEDUCTED!"

"I didn't even eat in the MDR, just the WJ, don't you know that those waiters work for FREE! Why would I tip the MDR wait staff? DEDUCTED!"

"I don't trust a major worldwide corporation to electronically give a person money. That's why The Lord himself told me to hand him American dollars, the currency of heaven!"

Edited by poncho1973

Questions about gratuities

1. I assume the total prepaid and automatic gratuities

collected is evenly distributed among the various crew

members according to position and number of staterooms

and diners assigned to them (Stateroom Attendant/Housekeeping

and Wait/Dining staff).

2. If someone chooses to decline the automatic gratuities,

how would this affect the crew members involved with that

person’s account? Would that be deducted from the crew

members’ distribution?

3. If the crew members are paid in cash, how would anyone