deleting automatic gratuities

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']We've never removed auto on our cruises - but like LMaxwell (again!) have nothing against those who choose to do so, and don't automatically assume (as others have in this thread) that those who do are cheapskates.[/quote]

Where's the like button when you need one!! :)

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']You only asked your steward half of the question at hand. I think its VERY likely that any cash above and beyond your auto-gratuity is his and his alone. That's not hard to believe at all.

[B][COLOR=darkorchid]That's the harder part to believe. Policing such a policy would be nearly impossible, outside of "the honor system" and threats. If you remove your auto-gratuity how do they know if you give your cabin steward cash, and if so just how much you gave him?[/COLOR][/B] [/quote]

[B][COLOR=darkorchid]Exactly! If the stewart is in my room and I give him some cash, who is going to know if I gave him a twenty, a ten, a couple of twentys or anything at all. What are they going to do, frisk them down everyday or do a raid of their lockers and personal belongings???? [/COLOR][/B]

I'm surprised that nobody else has quoted the explanation on the paper we received on board the Oasis this week, explaining how the automatic gratuities are distributed. It doesn't go into the complete breakdown between waiter, assistant waiter/busboy, etc., but here are the 3 divisions: for non-suite guests, your $12/day/guest - Dining Services $6.80; Stateroom Attendant $3.85; Other Housekeeping Personnel $1.35. I know from a conversation with our waiter on a previous cruise, they really appreciate the automatic gratuity system. They like having a steady income that they can count on - in addition to the extra cash gratuities they receive at the end (which encourages them to go above and beyond to cater to their guests). Also, please DO fill out the comment cards. Your comments can have a direct impact on the advancement of deserving crew members.

BTW, the additional $2.25 that suite guests pay goes directly to the stateroom attendant, equaling $6.10 instead of $3.85 received by the non-suite stateroom attendants.

If you've ever wondered why you rarely (if ever) see a waiter or room steward from the U.S., it is because most U.S. citizens aren't willing to be away from their families for months and months at a time, working hard for long hours, 7 days a week. I'm sure that even those of us who scrimp to be able to take a cruise once every few years are "rich" by the standards of those who serve us onboard. I figure that every dollar I tip means way more to the recipient than it does to me. I feel the same way at home if I eat out or get my hair cut, etc. Edited by Grandma Petania

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Not semantics at all. Petrol and gas are the same thing.whether one is familiar with both terms or not. Service charge and gratuity are not the same thing whether one familiar with both terms or not.[/QUOTE]

12PPPD is 12PPPD regardless of what you call it.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Not semantics at all. Petrol and gas are the same thing.whether one is familiar with both terms or not. Service charge and gratuity are not the same thing whether one familiar with both terms or not.[/QUOTE]

Missed this comment earlier. There are many people (mostly outside the US) that would say that gas is an inaccurate term for petrol, because it is a liquid under normal conditions, not a gas.

So, in my mind, it's actually a pretty good comparison for those quibbling about whether the $12/day is really a "gratuity" vs a "service charge."

[quote name='Paul65']Missed this comment earlier. There are many people (mostly outside the US) that would say that gas is an inaccurate term for petrol, because it is a liquid under normal conditions, not a gas.

So, in my mind, it's actually a pretty good comparison for those quibbling about whether the $12/day is really a "gratuity" vs a "service charge."[/quote]
So I guess you'd argue that its inaccurate to say that someone [COLOR="Red"]rose[/COLOR] from their seat, because there is no [COLOR="Red"]rose[/COLOR] of any color in that sentence? Or inaccurate to say it might bring a [COLOR="Red"]tear[/COLOR] to your eye if someone was to [COLOR="Red"]tear[/COLOR] one f your good shirts? As in those examples, the only people who would (erroneously) claim that its an inaccurate term for petrol are those who are confusing multiple different & valid definitions of the same word - specifically #1 vs. #5 in this case.

[SIZE=4]gas[/SIZE]
noun, plural gases or gasses. 1. Physics. a substance possessing perfect molecular mobility and the property of indefinite expansion, as opposed to a solid or liquid.

2. any such fluid or mixture of fluids.

3. any such fluid used as an anesthetic, as nitrous oxide: Did the dentist give you gas for your extraction?

4. any such combustible fluid used as fuel: Light the gas in the oven.

5. Automotive.
[LIST=1]
[*] gasoline.
[*]Also called gas pedal. the foot-operated accelerator of an automotive vehicle: Take your foot off the gas.
[/LIST]

6. flatus.

7. Coal Mining. an explosive mixture of firedamp with air. Edited by LetsGetWet!

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']The only people who would (erroneously) claim that its an inaccurate term for petrol are those who are confusing multiple different & valid definitions of the word - specifically #1 vs. #5 in this case.[/QUOTE]

The point being that quibbling about the terminology doesn't change anything, in either case.

[quote name='Paul65']The point being that quibbling about the terminology doesn't change anything, in either case.[/quote]
Except that as OceanBoy pointed out, one case is just semantics/terminology, the other is two different words with much different meanings.

[quote name='Paul65']Seems that you are indirectly trying to insult others, by suggesting that it is a show of "decency" to want to look someone in the eye while handing cash to them.

It could just as easily be that you feel the need to look people in the eye, as you hand money to them, because it makes you feel superior. I don't have the same need for face-to-face interaction in order for money to be exchanged. I don't think that means I have any lack of decency, though. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Guess I just take cruising on a more personal level than most by growing closer to the folks who are tending to you the most. By "looking them in the eye" I meant that I prefer that to show I appreciate them and they're apprwciated, as compared to "sending" money electronically without an exchange of words to show and explain appreciation. Typically, my suite and stateroom attendants are very pleasing and work hard at my requests, I feel the least I can do is tell them how much it is appreciated

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Except that as OceanBoy pointed out, one case is just semantics/terminology, the other is two different words with much different meanings.[/QUOTE]

That's his opinion, and apparently yours, as well. I find it to be semantics/terminology in both cases, and don't see a big difference between the meanings of gratuity and service charge.

But, if you're one to quibble about such differences, then RCI is probably right to call it a gratuity, since they do allow the removal of gratuities, therefore it is not mandatory.

[quote name='viperrtblck']Guess I just take cruising on a more personal level than most by growing closer to the folks who are tending to you the most. By "looking them in the eye" I meant that I prefer that to show I appreciate them and they're apprwciated, as compared to "sending" money electronically without an exchange of words to show and explain appreciation. Typically, my suite and stateroom attendants are very pleasing and work hard at my requests, I feel the least I can do is tell them how much it is appreciated[/quote]
Not saying that there's anything wrong with the way you want to do it, but many (most?) who don't remove auto-charges choose to look them in the eye and show them how much its appreciated by ADDING personal cash tips in addition to the auto-charges, rather than feeling it has to be in place of the auto-charges. That's just as personal as your method, and since its an additional tip, one might even argue its showing them even more how much they're appreciated. ;)

[quote name='Paul65']That's his opinion, and apparently yours, as well. I find it to be semantics/terminology in both cases, and don't see a big difference between the meanings of gratuity and service charge.

But, if you're one to quibble about such differences, then RCI is probably right to call it a gratuity, since they do allow the removal of gratuities, therefore it is not mandatory.[/quote]
I'm trying hard not to [COLOR=Red]tear[/COLOR] up as you [COLOR=Red]tear [/COLOR]apart the correct definitions here. ;)

[quote name='viperrtblck']Guess I just take cruising on a more personal level than most by growing closer to the folks who are tending to you the most. By "looking them in the eye" I meant that I prefer that to show I appreciate them and they're apprwciated, as compared to "sending" money electronically without an exchange of words to show and explain appreciation. Typically, my suite and stateroom attendants are very pleasing and work hard at my requests, I feel the least I can do is tell them how much it is appreciated[/QUOTE]

I can understand that. I was just pointing out how your post came across, with you saying you had enough "decency" to do it that way, as if any other way were less decent.

I always exchange words with the dining room and stateroom staff, and will tell them how much I appreciated the cruise and their service. Money doesn't have to be changing hands for that to happen. And, if they provided particularly good service, I will generally let them know that I have mentioned it on my comment card.

Of course, in those cases, I'm usually handing them an additional tip, as well. But I don't think one way is particularly superior to another, as long as the service staff are being taken care of.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Except that as OceanBoy pointed out, one case is just semantics/terminology, the other is two different words with much different meanings.[/QUOTE]

Americans discussing the useage of the English language :rolleyes:

Wow! - This deserves a thread of it's own :D Edited by PORT ROYAL

[quote name='viperrtblck']Guess I just take cruising on a more personal level than most by growing closer to the folks who are tending to you the most. By "looking them in the eye" I meant that I prefer that to show I appreciate them and they're apprwciated, as compared to "sending" money electronically without an exchange of words to show and explain appreciation. Typically, my suite and stateroom attendants are very pleasing and work hard at my requests, I feel the least I can do is tell them how much it is appreciated[/QUOTE]

You can! Do the automatic gratuity and then give them extra in cash - have done this for many cruises - often including a personal thank you note and letting them know I would be again mentioning them by name on my survey.

And I don't believe these posters who want it zeroed so they can pay on their own. Most of them are either not tipping or under tipping. The "trust the guest" method lead to the current system. If you truly have bad service then you adjust that tip, not all. If you truly want to tip more just give the extra cash.

The rest of this is just an excuse to stiff the staff IMHO And when you start yelling at me "me thinks thou doth protest too much"

If you know you do the right thing words won't hurt you. If my statement creates hysteria maybe I hit too close to the truth?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums Edited by Carolla5501

I think this is what RCI is hoping for with the prepaid gratuities. We pay gratuities over 2 months in advance since we like MTD. When we get on the cruise the "gratuities" paid are kind of like a distant memory and we typically feel inclined to add to it during the cruise. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the plan. I hear a lot of people saying they do this as well.

That's why many of us think of it more like a service fee. I don't know anyone who pays over 2 months in advance for service at a restaurant on land.

I'm a little more confused about automatically adding to drinks as you buy them. Not enough that I don't drink and it is more convenient than having to tip for each drink. I'm less inclined to tip more for drinks since the auto gratuity is right on the slip so I feel more like it's taken care of.

I've never purchased a drink package, but I'd imagine they charge you that gratuity like with MTD so it's way in advance so people with drink packages probably feel more inclined to tip more as well.

It's a logical strategy.

Tom

[quote name='PMcC1998']You can! Do the automatic gratuity and then give them extra in cash - have done this for many cruises - often including a personal thank you note and letting them know I would be again mentioning them by name on my survey.[/QUOTE]

Americans discussing the useage of the English language :rolleyes:

Wow! - This deserves a thread of it's own :D

Since the United States has more English speakers than any other country (by a factor of 5:1 over the UK, which is 5th on the list of countries by English-speaking population), I'd say that's a pretty unremarkable thing. ;)

Thanks everyone, great info so far. I will not be doing the pre paid gratuities, I know this much. I guess I just have that feeling that when tipping someone, I prefer to have it directly handed to the person I intend it to go to, via cash. Like stated before, by doing the auto tip to my sea pass like RCCL does now, I don't know where that's going, and after reading some stuff online (who knows how accurate it is or isn't), is the cruise line really giving all of my tip money to the intended crew members I dealt with? Plus with the fact of giving them extra if we become close and have an enjoyable vacation with them....I might as well just give them the whole intended tip as I'm giving them an envelope with the extra money anyway. Also, with only the 3 or 4 folks we are to tip (waiters, room attendants) it isn't an inconvenience to track people down to give them the cash....in my opinion.

How would you go about tipping the people who attend to your breakfast and lunch who are not your regular dinner wait staff?

Typically, my suite and stateroom attendants are very pleasing and work hard at my requests, I feel the least I can do is tell them how much it is appreciated

and the only way is to hand them cash ?!

THINK AGAIN..

those comment cards are just as important( not the wow cards) to them as the Benjamins and looking them in the eye does NOT need a slip of a bill to make it any less appreciated.

you are trying to make YOURSELF feel better/look good by insisting that the only way they will know they are appreciated is if you grace them with a handshake and money in hand.

I bet half the reason they went to the new way is because everyone got tired of trying to stuff 150 envelopes in their pocket on the last night