Can you get a boxed lunch?

Leejnd4

I am totally confident that the croissants on Oceania will pass USDA inspection and that they do not harbor medflies. Aren't you? :rolleyes:

Unless you are the USDA, your confidence is irrelevant. Just what do you not understand about there being laws and regulations regarding the prohibition of uninspected or not prepackaged foods.

And yes, there are some places that are stricter than others. I happen to live in a place where the restrictions are strong, valid and important to my and your bottom line food bills.

So (on behalf of all agricultural regions), we'd appreciate it if you left the reused plastic boxes at home and pumped a few dollars into the local economy.

I am totally confident that the croissants on Oceania will pass USDA inspection and that they do not harbor medflies. Aren't you? :rolleyes:

Try bringing it into New Zealand

Our little doggies will get you and the fine you will have to pay keeps the doggies well fed :)

The wife has had fruit in her handbag a couple of days before we have left a country and our little doggies can still pick up the smell of the fruit when we get here even though it hasn't been in her bag for a few days

LOL! It never ceases to amaze me how virtually any innocuous topic can start a snark-fest on Cruise Critic. :p

Listed in our "Currents" for our Panama Canal Cruise in December..."Please note that taking ashore any kind of food or fruit from the ship is not permitted in any of our ports of call". One woman in front of us, tried to take a sandwich off, and was caught at the port gate by port security (with sniffing dogs) when they inspected our purses/bags, and made her throw it away. She told me that they told her she could have been fined, if caught outside the gate with the sandwich. She later asked the staff, and they told her in the future, to purchase store bought sealed bars to take ashore, if needed. (She joked, "or take bail money" later).

Ah...well...this obviously changes things. This is why we come to Cruise Critic: to get our questions answered! Obviously if we are specifically asked not to take food off the ship, I will of course obey. I'm not much into breaking laws. ;) If this is the case in St. Barts, I will happily pick something up at a store or cafe in town.

Unless you are the USDA, your confidence is irrelevant. Just what do you not understand about there being laws and regulations regarding the prohibition of uninspected or not prepackaged foods.

And yes, there are some places that are stricter than others. I happen to live in a place where the restrictions are strong, valid and important to my and your bottom line food bills.

So (on behalf of all agricultural regions), we'd appreciate it if you left the reused plastic boxes at home and pumped a few dollars into the local economy.

My goodness! This really didn't need to descend to this level. Any reason why you can't speak to us civilly? We're just cruisers, like you. We're just talking about cruising. I daresay none of us intends to violate your, or anyone else's, food economy or agricultural industry, and I don't believe that anything Gillianrose or I do is going to directly affect your bottom line food bills. I'm just asking questions so I can figure out the best way to have a snack handy while on a cruise excursion.

If I can bring something off the ship, then I will know to do that so I don't have to bother taking time out of my day to find something in town. If not, no biggie...I'll make sure I leave the ship early enough.

I appreciate the information provided here. I will promise NOT to break any laws or destroy the agricultural integrity of any foreign port. :p

Edited by Leejnd4

You're welcome. I hope you will do a trip report as you have in the past. :)

I remember your name! If I recall correctly, you commented on my trip report from my Baltics cruise, is that right? I also posted a trip report on my most recent cruise on the Paul Gauguin.

This cruise might not be quite as interesting to post a trip report on -- it's Eastern Caribbean, one of the most heavily-cruised regions in the world, so I doubt there's much I can write about that hasn't already been posted a bazillion times over. I'm really doing this cruise for the scuba diving - I'll be diving at 5 of the 7 ports. I'm an amateur underwater photographer, tho, so I will be sure to at least post some of my underwater photographs.

If this is the case in St. Barts, I will happily pick something up at a store in town.

That's the perfect place to pick things up, IMO. It's almost like shopping in Paris :D

In fact, I have bought some foie gras there last time when it was still banned in California as I was having withdrawals. It's no longer banned but I will get some again next time I am there - it was that good :)

PS It's in a vacuum sealed tin can so it is safe to bring on the ship.

Edited by Paulchili

If you need to cart plastic boxes around to avoid paying a few dollars for a meal ashore, that's your business. Just don't subject others to the potentially negative impact of your actions, particularly when they are farming families.

Just for the record, nobody here even once mentioned trying to "avoid paying a few dollars." I didn't mention it in my original question, and Gillianrose didn't mention it in any of her replies. You seem to have jumped to that unpleasant conclusion all on your own.

In fact I made a point of stating that I would happily buy something ashore if I can't bring something from the ship. My sole concern is that I don't get stuck with nothing to eat while out on a dive boat. And certainly, it would be less trouble to just bring something from the ship. I've never been to St. Bart, and have no idea if there will be anything convenient to buy a snack close to the ship. I have been cruising long enough to know that I should never assume that the things I need will be readily available...which is why I like to do so much research.

Now, gee whiz, do you think you might pull in the talons a bit so we can actually enjoy our pre-cruise discussions? Thanks much! :)

Edited by Leejnd4

That's the perfect place to pick things up, IMO. It's almost like shopping in Paris :D

In fact, I have bought some foie gras there last time when it was still banned in California as I was having withdrawals. It's no longer banned but I will get some again next time I am there - it was that good :)

PS It's in a vacuum sealed tin can so it is safe to bring on the ship.

OMG! Are you kidding me? I can buy foie gras right there in St. Bart? I too live in CA, so I have not been able to eat it (except when on a vacation) in a ridiculously long time. I'm a HUGE foie gras fan. I'm so glad you told me this...I will definitely buy some to bring back with me! I'll bet it's a lot cheaper there than here...when you can even FIND it. Even though the ban was recently overturned, I still can't find it anywhere.

Heck maybe I'll buy some to eat as my excursion snack! Eh...then again...maybe not. Doesn't sound like the best thing to eat on a dive boat. ;)

OMG! Are you kidding me? I can buy foie gras right there in St. Bart? I too live in CA, so I have not been able to eat it (except when on a vacation) in a ridiculously long time. I'm a HUGE foie gras fan. I'm so glad you told me this...I will definitely buy some to bring back with me! I'll bet it's a lot cheaper there than here...when you can even FIND it. Even though the ban was recently overturned, I still can't find it anywhere.

Heck maybe I'll buy some to eat as my excursion snack! Eh...then again...maybe not. Doesn't sound like the best thing to eat on a dive boat. ;)

Just go to the supermarket on the main street and you'll have lots of choices (duck, goose, different sizes, etc). I wouldn't say that it is cheap but well worth the money, IMO :) Bring some back to the ship and enjoy it with the wonderful baguettes and bread on-board.

They also have the nicest shopping bags for 1 Euro (we got a couple)

Edited by Paulchili

Just go to the supermarket on the main street and you'll have lots of choices (duck, goose, different sizes, etc). I wouldn't say that it is cheap but well worth the money, IMO :) Bring some back to the ship and enjoy it with the wonderful baguettes and bread on-board.

They also have the nicest shopping bags for 1 Euro (we got a couple)

You are speaking my language! :)

Is the supermarket within walking distance of the ship? If so, that would be great...I'll go there before we dive to grab a snack for the dive boat...and then I'll swing by there afterwards as well, to pick up a few cans of foie gras.

I expect I will save most if not all of them to bring home with me, though. From what I'm reading, the ship will be feeding me PRETTY darn well already! :p

Wow. This has become a most interesting thread.

Where did a question about the possibility of Oceania providing a box lunch jump to an assumption that OP was too cheap to pay for something on land? As I read it her point was that they wouldn't HAVE TIME to get something on land.

I will confess that we have occasionally taken food off ship for a snack but if we are in a port that taking food off the ship is banned, then of course we don't.

On our tours we usually get back in time for lunch, even if it's in Waves and not in Terrace, and there is always room service. And if we have a full day tour, then we get lunch some place.

In New Zealand/Australia I had catnip gifts for friends on shore and it was quite a trip to get them permitted. I knew in advance that Australia often bans shipments of catnip treats so I was very upfront about reporting them. The guard who had to approve the treats wasn't aware of what catnip was, and he finally said "okay". But having reported them when we entered Australia, when we left we were asked if we still had them.

???

Would they have confiscated them if our friends had refused the gift?

I dunno. It didn't matter since our friends were delighted, as were their cats ...

Mura

Mura

Where did a question about the possibility of Oceania providing a box lunch jump to an assumption that OP was too cheap to pay for something on land?

I believe that the confusion, if there was any, centered around some disposable plastic containers which were nonetheless being washed for reuse (see Post 19).

To be fair, however, the word "cheap" was never used.

I suppose it all depends on your perspective, we once sailed with a couple who refused to leave on any shore trip without the box of Kleenex from their Oceania bathroom.....the theory being that the Line was responsible for their tissue needs for the entire duration of their Cruise.

[/font][/size]

I believe that the confusion, if there was any, centered around some disposable plastic containers which were nonetheless being washed for reuse (see Post 19).

To be fair, however, the word "cheap" was never used.

I suppose it all depends on your perspective, we once sailed with a couple who refused to leave on any shore trip without the box of Kleenex from their Oceania bathroom.....the theory being that the Line was responsible for their tissue needs for the entire duration of their Cruise.

Oh for pete's sake.

When Gillianrose posted about the disposable containers, her point was not that they wash them out for reuse because they are trying to save a buck, but simply to describe the containers she was referring to. I knew what kind of container she meant because of her explanation. I too often bring them with me on a cruise (you never know when you might have use for them,) and I too sometimes rinse them out for re-use...not because I'm cheap, but because I don't have room in my luggage to bring a dozen. I bring one or two, and if I have use for them, great. If not, great. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

"To be fair, however, the word "cheap" was never used." Um...did you READ his post? He specifically suggested I was trying to "avoid paying a few dollars for a meal ashore." Are you suggesting he didn't mean that I was being "cheap"? Come on, now. You and I both know he did. Which, as I explained above, was never the point of my question...nor was it the point of Gillian's suggestions.

How this discussion devolved into bringing up someone who refused to buy their own tissues is beyond me. Again, please go back and read my posts. Never once did I EVER mention ANYTHING about trying to save money.

That suggestion seems to have come from one place only.

Seriously, how can such an innocuous thread turn into such unpleasantness? Do some people read through the threads in here just looking for a way to attack other cruisers?

Edited by Leejnd4

Wow. This has become a most interesting thread.

Where did a question about the possibility of Oceania providing a box lunch jump to an assumption that OP was too cheap to pay for something on land? As I read it her point was that they wouldn't HAVE TIME to get something on land.

I will confess that we have occasionally taken food off ship for a snack but if we are in a port that taking food off the ship is banned, then of course we don't.

On our tours we usually get back in time for lunch, even if it's in Waves and not in Terrace, and there is always room service. And if we have a full day tour, then we get lunch some place.

In New Zealand/Australia I had catnip gifts for friends on shore and it was quite a trip to get them permitted. I knew in advance that Australia often bans shipments of catnip treats so I was very upfront about reporting them. The guard who had to approve the treats wasn't aware of what catnip was, and he finally said "okay". But having reported them when we entered Australia, when we left we were asked if we still had them.

???

Would they have confiscated them if our friends had refused the gift?

I dunno. It didn't matter since our friends were delighted, as were their cats ...

Mura

Thank you, Mura. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one seeing this thread this way. And you are correct - it was always about time and/or opportunity. Not being familiar with the port, I didn't know what my options were. Now I feel much better about it. And I'm especially thrilled to know I can buy foie gras to bring back with me! Ah, the great things you learn from Cruise Critic.

And, again, I thank those of you who replied to my question for the purpose of actually helping me, rather than sarcastically suggesting I'm trying to save a buck, or I'm stupidly ignorant of agricultural laws, or I am unaware that cruiselines haven't been giving boxed lunches since the 60's...or whatever.

It's been entertaining, anyway! :D

Although we like to take snacks/lunch off the ship, we are very careful not to do it anywhere that it is not permitted. We read the daily paper thoroughly and also make sure there aren't any signs about taking food off the ship when we disembark.

Sometimes we like to picnic if we find a beautiful stop, sometimes we get hungry when we're out and about, but don't want to take time away from sightseeing to shop for food or go to a restaurant. That's just our preference.

We took a Caribbean cruise on Oceania in November; St Barts was one of our stops and there was no prohibition about taking food ashore.

We took a Caribbean cruise on Oceania in November; St Barts was one of our stops and there was no prohibition about taking food ashore.

Well that is really good to know!

So in the end, it turns out that all this talk of infecting agricultural regions with foreign bugs and destroying food economies has been completely unnecessary. LOL! ;)

I don't eat too many croissants in my regular life, but I do love them. So I'm relieved to know that I can grab a couple at the breakfast buffet, throw them in a container in my drybag, and bring them with me on my dive trip for a snack without threat of imprisonment or destroying the local economy. And now I will only have to stop at the supermarket on our way back to the ship, to pick up some foie gras.

Look how much I learned from this thread! :D Thank you very much, Andee.

Oh, and I will also be sure to bring Oceania's tissues. Anything to save a buck! :p

I am embarrassed. My husband has sugar highs and lows, and has to have "something" on a long tour. We are completely able to buy things, but there isn't always time. So horrible to hear these people skewering the original poster. So sad.

So all you California residents planning on bringing back foie gras: remember that those who know better than you have banned them in California, and it is important to your bottom line NOT to bring them into the state. Me, I don't really worry about the size of my hips... ;)

I am embarrassed. My husband has sugar highs and lows, and has to have "something" on a long tour. We are completely able to buy things, but there isn't always time. So horrible to hear these people skewering the original poster. So sad.

Thanks for your support Caroldoll. There are many perfectly valid reasons to bring a snack along from the ship...your husband's being one of them. If the rules allow, there is nothing wrong with it. And your reasons don't even matter...even if it's to save money. ;) In my case it's to stave off seasickness. I'm fine on a cruise ship, but as an owner of a sailboat I am well aware that leaving my stomach empty for hours on a small boat can have less than optimal results.

Don't let the attackers bother you. It's pretty par for the course on this forum. Some people seem to search around the threads for something...Anything...to launch a snark attack. Even if they really have to stretch to find something to criticize, as was done here. I don't try to understand it. But I will call it out when I see it.

Funny thing is, often the most critical, unfriendly people in the forums will turn out to be absolutely lovely when you meet them on a cruise. Go figure. :)

So all you California residents planning on bringing back foie gras: remember that those who know better than you have banned them in California, and it is important to your bottom line NOT to bring them into the state. Me, I don't really worry about the size of my hips... ;)

The ban was overturned. As for my "bottom line", I don't worry about my hips when I'm on vacation. :D I spend more than enough energy keeping them in check in my regular life!

Thanks for your support Caroldoll. There are many perfectly valid reasons to bring a snack along from the ship...your husband's being one of them. If the rules allow, there is nothing wrong with it. And your reasons don't even matter...even if it's to save money. ;) In my case it's to stave off seasickness. I'm fine on a cruise ship, but as an owner of a sailboat I am well aware that leaving my stomach empty for hours on a small boat can have less than optimal results.

Don't let the attackers bother you. It's pretty par for the course on this forum. Some people seem to search around the threads for something...Anything...to launch a snark attack. Even if they really have to stretch to find something to criticize, as was done here. I don't try to understand it. But I will call it out when I see it.

Funny thing is, often the most critical, unfriendly people in the forums will turn out to be absolutely lovely when you meet them on a cruise. Go figure. :)

Nothing wrong with taking food off the ship, as long as there are no regulations against it, but if there are notices about not taking food ashore, don't do it.

I have manly sailed cruises that stay in Australia but it is still against the law to take non-packaged foods off the ship, it is really that simple and huge fines apply and they have these cute little puppies to check.

Well that is really good to know!

So in the end, it turns out that all this talk of infecting agricultural regions with foreign bugs and destroying food economies has been completely unnecessary. LOL! ;)

I don't eat too many croissants in my regular life, but I do love them. So I'm relieved to know that I can grab a couple at the breakfast buffet, throw them in a container in my drybag, and bring them with me on my dive trip for a snack without threat of imprisonment or destroying the local economy. And now I will only have to stop at the supermarket on our way back to the ship, to pick up some foie gras.

Look how much I learned from this thread! :D Thank you very much, Andee.

Oh, and I will also be sure to bring Oceania's tissues. Anything to save a buck! :p

As long as you don't bring them back to Thousand Oaks (I.e., the croissants). BTW, you can buy foie gras at the Whole Foods in Thousand Oaks.

As long as you don't bring them back to Thousand Oaks (I.e., the croissants). BTW, you can buy foie gras at the Whole Foods in Thousand Oaks.

Good to know. The ban was overturned so recently I haven't had time to check all the possible local sources. Before the ban I used to get it at Bristol Farms in Westlake, but last time I was there they still weren't carrying it. It's certainly not something I eat frequently...gotta think about these hips!:p

Oh...and as for the croissants...I will assume you are joking. I simply refuse to believe that anyone could jump to the conclusion that just because I want to bring a snack on an excursion while cruising, that translates to being driven to smuggle baked goods across the continent. :p Also, methinks that by the time I got them home, they'd be stale!

It must be California girls who know how to take care of situations. You go for it and enjoy your activity.

Awww! That's so sweet! Y'know I used to live in Newport Beach, many years ago. We kept our first boat in Newport harbor. :)