Our Most Excellent Adventure - We Missed the Ship

4x4bob

I also fly out of Sacramento, usually on Delta, and most often to Atlanta to catch flights to Europe. I always use a concierge service. You can google "air travel assistance concierge" to find them. I use one with a name that starts with "C."

The prices are very reasonable, and for the last two cruises I took, the service saved my bacon. While I was in the air and had no internet service they saw my air connections and knew they were not going to happen, so they rebooked all the subsequent flights for me. When I landed I had a text from them with my new flight numbers. They monitor all of your flights. For me it is worth the money for the piece of mind knowing someone is watching out if things go south.

I do agree that getting to the port a day ahead of time can relieve you of a lot of potential stress.

...I always use a concierge service...While I was in the air and had no internet service they saw my air connections and knew they were not going to happen, so they rebooked all the subsequent flights for me...

It sounds like a great service; my only question is cost. Do you have to pay $$$ walk-up fares when they rebook you on an alternate carrier, or do they have some sort of deal with the airlines? In many cases, rebooking with the initial carrier will not get you there on time.

I also fly out of Sacramento, usually on Delta, and most often to Atlanta to catch flights to Europe. I always use a concierge service. You can google "air travel assistance concierge" to find them. I use one with a name that starts with "C."

The prices are very reasonable, and for the last two cruises I took, the service saved my bacon. While I was in the air and had no internet service they saw my air connections and knew they were not going to happen, so they rebooked all the subsequent flights for me. When I landed I had a text from them with my new flight numbers. They monitor all of your flights. For me it is worth the money for the piece of mind knowing someone is watching out if things go south.

I do agree that getting to the port a day ahead of time can relieve you of a lot of potential stress.

Thanks for your great info. If by chance the link below is the company you use, unless I'm mistaken, it's okay to name a business like this because they don't appear to be a Travel Agency who sells cruises.

http://crankyconcierge.com/

Officially, Federal Rule 240 was eliminated years ago when deregulation of the airline industry came about. However, each airline has since developed their own Rule 240 policy and here is Delta's copied below. The gist of what it's saying is that in the event of a mechanical delay, such as was the case of the OP, the airline will reroute you on another carrier -at no charge to you - if that carrier can get you to your destination sooner. Being in Sacramento, American (SkyWest), United and Southwest all fly SMF-LAX in addition to Delta. Now believe me, any airline isn't going to advertise their Rule 240 as they don't want to voluntarily "sign" their ticket over to a competing carrier. You've simply got to be an informed traveler and use the "Rule 240" phrase yourself when dealing with an airline under these circumstances.

http://consumerist.com/2007/04/06/dont-fly-without-a-copy-of-rule-240/#Delta

Delta

Rule 240 applies to All Delta Air Lines flight delays, cancellations or misconnections are as a result of a

1.Schedule Irregularity, or 2.A Force Majeure Event.

SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY

Delta Air Lines defines a schedule irregularity as:

A delay in the departure or arrival of a Delta Air Lines flight that results in a misconnection, or A flight cancellation or omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption of a Delta Air Lines flight, or A substitution of equipment to a different class of service, or A schedule change that requires you to be rerouted.

If your flight is delayed, cancelled or you miss a connecting Delta Air Lines flight, due to a schedule irregularity &

1.Delta Air Lines must confirm you on their next flight (on which space is available) at no additional cost. 2.If there is an alternate Delta Air flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than the alternate you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this Delta Air Lines’ flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 3.If the alternate Delta Air Lines flight is not acceptable to you, you have the right to be confirmed on the flight of a different airline at no additional cost. 4.If there is an alternate “different airline” flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than any alternate flight you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 5.If no alternate flight (on Delta Air Lines or a “different airline”) is acceptable to you, Delta Air Lines must refund your money – even if you have a non-refundable ticket.

FORCE MAJEURE EVENT

Delta Air Lines defines a force majeure event as:

Any conditions beyond Delta Air Lines’ control, including weather, acts of God, civil commotion, wars, hostilities, strikes, labor-related disputes, government regulation, shortage of labor or fuel, or other facts not foreseen by Delta Air Lines.

If your flight is delayed, cancelled, or you miss a connection to a Delta Air Lines flight due to a Force Majeure Event (and this includes weather), Delta Air Lines’ only obligation is to refund your ticket. Delta Air Lines will probably try to reroute you to an alternate flight, but according to Rule 240, they are not required to do this.

AMENITIES

First Class Passengers: If you have been delayed 2 hours or more due to a flight delay or cancellation, Delta Air Lines will provide you with one 3-minute phone call within the Continental U.S. If the delay exceeds 4 hours, Delta Air Lines will provide you with meals at the appropriate times (not to exceed 24 hours). If the delay is expected to exceed 4 hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. through 6:00 a.m., Delta Air Lines will provide hotel accommodations and transportation between the airport and hotel (some exceptions).

Business Class and Coach Passengers: If you have been delayed 2 hours or more due to a flight delay or cancellation, Delta Air Lines will provide you with one 3-minute phone call within the Continental U.S. If the delay is expected to exceed 4 hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., Delta Airlines will provide hotel accommodations and transportation between the airport and hotel (some exceptions).

If you are delayed because of a misconnection from a Delta Air Lines flight to a Delta Air Lines flight, and the delay is expected to exceed 4 hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., Delta Air Lines will provide hotel accommodations provided alternate transportation is not available and you missed the last flight of the day. You are required to standby for all Delta Air Lines flights through the last flight of the day.

The amenities listed above do not apply, if your delay is due to weather conditions unless you are a connecting passenger or if you are deplaned at a point other than your origin, destination and/or stopover point.

Delta Air Lines may provide amenities as they feel are necessary to maintain the safety and welfare of certain passengers such as invalids, senior citizens, unaccompanied minors, etc..

It sounds like a great service; my only question is cost. Do you have to pay $$$ walk-up fares when they rebook you on an alternate carrier, or do they have some sort of deal with the airlines? In many cases, rebooking with the initial carrier will not get you there on time.

I have never had to pay the airline any extra fees, even when they rebook on a different carrier. Delta always tries to book on their partner carriers if they can, but that has been no problem.

Thanks for your great info. If by chance the link below is the company you use, unless I'm mistaken, it's okay to name a business like this because they don't appear to be a Travel Agency who sells cruises.

http://crankyconcierge.com/

That is the correct link. I was not sure of the CC policies, and did not want to appear as if I was advertising for a certain company, so I tried to be a bit vague when talking about the name.

I also can say that "Cranky" is wonderful and have been using them to monitor my flights. It's a good feeling to know if things go wrong while I'm in the air, that they will have it all fixed by the time I land! They also were able to locate mileage seats for me that worked with my Alaska Airlines miles. Who knew that I could fly Business Class to Amsterdam on KLM with my Alaska miles. Without this service I never would have known much less been able to find seats that worked for my dates. The fee for that was $100 to advise, find & book those mileage seats.

Edited by JVilleGal

We were lucky we had our passports with us. If we did not we would have been walking out the front door of the airport and catching the Blue Van back home.

Several times I have read from other members here that they do not take a passport on a closed loop cruise.

We have always taken ours, even on the three day cruise last Sept out and back to San Pedro, Calif.

Bob

If someone has a passport, I wouldn't understand the rational of *not* bringing their passport with them, even for a closed loop cruise. (Heck, I've been on a cruise that didn't end where it was supposed to, so I think traveling without having a passport is a bad idea anyways). But the passport is specifically there to be a travel document. It's *supposed* to come with you, that's kinda the whole point.

If someone has a passport, I wouldn't understand the rational of *not* bringing their passport with them, even for a closed loop cruise. (Heck, I've been on a cruise that didn't end where it was supposed to, so I think traveling without having a passport is a bad idea anyways). But the passport is specifically there to be a travel document. It's *supposed* to come with you, that's kinda the whole point.

Absolutely.

A couple of years ago my sister was on the 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise from LA and they had to unexpectedly disembark in Puerto Vallarta and fly home due to our Grandmother passing away. I'd have hated to try to fly back to the U.S. without a passport.

At this point I am sure that everyone who see's the title will jump right in to read what Happen and to provide unlimited advice on how we caused the problem by flying into the port on the day of embarkation.

Good now that is taken care of I am posting this because we were hit with a mountian of problems and I want to share how we over came and pressed on so if this happens to someone else they will have an idea how to proceed.

The information I am about to provide came from two seperate family's that sustained the same initial event and moved forward along seperate paths solving the same problems.

This was going to be our 12th cruise and the first one that we decided to fly in the same day.

This is where I stopped reading.

Actually, it is where I wanted to stop reading, but your story and writing style keep me going. Sorry for your drama, but the following phrase is exactly why we go at least the day before.

Airlines "happen".

Same thing happened to us with USAir ....we ended up spending 18 hours at the airport and catching our ship in Cozumel ...I have never flown with US air since ....it was a nightmare ...we went thru customs 3times our flights kept breaking down ..,deicing was too long ,cancelled flight due to freezing rain etc etc etc....sending me to Key west where boarding is not permitted ....like I said a nightmare .......had to argue with them for hours they refused to accept responsibility .My kids were 11and 8 at the time ...no fun for them

Since then I do try to arrive at least 24 hours prior ...but its not always feasable

My heart goes outto you ...been there done that

Last week we gathered our bills and receipts. Then after assembling them into a package we FAXed the package to the insurance carrier.

As of today we had not received back any notice that the package had been received

So, we called. After some checking our claim number was matched with a received package.

We were then told that in 3 or 4 weeks it should be processed. So we wait.

Bob

We were lucky we had our passports with us. If we did not we would have been walking out the front door of the airport and catching the Blue Van back home.

Several times I have read from other members here that they do not take a passport on a closed loop cruise.

We have always taken ours, even on the three day cruise last Sept out and back to San Pedro, Calif.

Bob

Every other traveler in the world has no problem with a passport and are quite used to doing so. Why the people in the USA seem to have a problem with it is beyond me. As the world continues to shrink and people in the USA start crossing international boundaries, people need to get used to carrying them. We cannot go even to Mexico or Canada without the passport. When my feet are on foreign soil, I have my passport with me.

Not only do we bring our passports, we also bring paper copies and pack them in a separate carry-on bag. When DH lost his passport, the paper copy was invaluable as he was able to show it to the US Passport office, thus avoiding the research charges to find the passport number.

The paper copy is an excellent idea in case of lost passports. If you go to a US embassy/consulate and do not have a copy of your lost passport, they have to contact the State Department in the US to research your passport record before issuing a temporary passport. Anyone who has had to deal with the federal government should realize this is not done in hours or even days in some cases.

One trick I have heard of here on these boards is to email yourself a copy of your passport before leaving the country. Then all it would take in a foreign country is to access your email and download a copy. Any copy though is the key in getting a rapid temporary passport.

Looks like you made lemonade out of your lemons! Love hearing your tale of woe.

We were to take a cruise in the summer leaving from FFL. As there was no snow on the ground in Ohio, we chose to fly in the day of the cruise. When we went to change planes in Atlanta, who knew that Florida would close the entire state to air travel due to Hurricane Dan blowing across the whole thing.

Thank goodness for insurance! We rolled the dice, deciding to stay until airspace opened again and see if we might make it to the ship. If not, what an adventure we could tell our friends later.

We sat all day, moving from one gate to another, waiting to see if we could get on one plane after another. We were put on one flight, being the last two put onboard and told to take the last two seats in the back. The door closed but then was reopened and we were told we had to get off as the two who had the original tickets were at the gate. Get this - their mom was on the flight and it was her two children who had walked away from the gate! One was underage. When the gate attendant found out that the door was reopened (a big no-no in their world) and we were kicked off, she apologized and we were told we WOULD be on the next flight and would fly first class too!

We watched as a family of 4 who had saved everything they had to go on a 5 night cruise on another line, sat to see if they would make it. Mother was so upset about the cost of a sandwich and a coffee. She said they didn't buy insurance. They never made it.

We did make it. Our luggage had made it down hours before we did. Once our luggage was collected, we were put on a Princess transfer bus, with about 16 other last minute cruisers. As soon as our feet were onboard, the ship sailed. It was dark outside, everyone was having dinner, we had missed muster. (In those days, one didn't have to attend a secondary one.)

So we still tell folks our story. But we do now, always make sure we get the insurance and no matter what, plan on getting to the port city the night before.

Sorry you had to encounter such a horrific travel experience but, thank you for sharing with us. We have never had an issue arriving same day so feel fortunate after reading what you went through. We are leaving April 4th to Hawaii from San Pedro and had planned to fly that morning however, DW's aunt wanted to do a BVE ( Bon Voyage Experience) with us so we are now flying in a day early and spending the night at her house in Costa Mesa then she will take us to the port. Not to defend Delta but, when we came back from a New England cruise our Delta plane had issues at JFK and was delayed about 2 hours. They put out water,soda and snacks for everyone at the boarding gate. When we arrived in Salt Lake City we missed our connecting flight and Delta put us up in a very nice hotel, provided a meal voucher and provided transportation back to the airport. All airlines have occasional problems and I feel it has as much to do with the employees that work for them as much as anything. Some can be rude and non-helpful while others go the extra mile to accommodate. Hopefully we will all never have to experience what bob and his DW had to go through and all our future travels will be safe and enjoyable. bob

When we've used Princess EZAir, it always seems to be "day of cruise" flying...I'll have to rethink letting them do that.

Thank you for telling the tale!

BTW, if you want to tell a long tale, you could write the tome in MS Word or even a regular text editor and paste it all in to the window when you're ready.

Then again, the way you did it was entertaining...It felt like one of those old serials...Flash Gordon or Rocket Man!

Edited by CaptainKlutz
clarification

When we've used Princess EZAir, it always seems to be "day of cruise" flying...I'll have to rethink letting them do that.

Princess Air used to assign the flights to you.

When EZAir was introduced a couple of years ago, you get to pick the day of travel.

So if you are flying in the day of Embarkation using EZAir, it is because you selected that day to fly.

In reading about the passport issues, I'm seeing that "a paper copy" of the passport is important. If I had a scanned copy in my phone (I use OneNote a LOT), would that be equivalent, or would I need something I could leave with them?

Ann

I am sorry you experienced this. This is the exact reason why my Father and I are flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before our Panama Canal Cruise. Now out of LAX back to SJC if we miss our flight(hard to do so) so what there is not cruise to catch and there are many flights up to SJC.

But to Fort Lauderdale most flights arrive at odd hours(well at least the ones I saw arrived around midnight) ours is via PHX and arrives FLL at 4:00 PM a perfect time.

People don't realize that even if you live up in Northern California its best to spend the night at Long Beach rather than be stuck in LA Traffic even with EZAir and Bus Transportations there are times when nothing helps and you may either be transferred to the next port or sent home.

I think its totally work the extra $100 to spend the night before a cruise which is a major investment for many. I like to be able to be one of the first people checking in and stay at a hotel 10 minutes from the port rather than be stuck 8 hours away.

I love just waking up enjoying the pool breakfast and get ready to go.

I'm sure from now on you will reconsider arriving the day before.

In reading about the passport issues, I'm seeing that "a paper copy" of the passport is important. If I had a scanned copy in my phone (I use OneNote a LOT), would that be equivalent, or would I need something I could leave with them?

The only reason most people would have a paper copy of the ID page in a passport would to facilitate replacement of the actual passport if it has been lost. For that, a scanned copy in your phone would suffice.

Did you have another reason you would want a paper copy?

The only reason most people would have a paper copy of the ID page in a passport would to facilitate replacement of the actual passport if it has been lost. For that, a scanned copy in your phone would suffice.

We always put a paper copy of our travel documents in our luggage. If it gets lost they can track us down and it gets returned. Friends had this happen and after a week, there luggage was delivered to their door at home.

No. Only reason was in case passports got lost. Just didn't know if they would want to keep the paper copy or just get info off it. Thanks for the input.

Ann

We always put a paper copy of our travel documents in our luggage. If it gets lost they can track us down and it gets returned. Friends had this happen and after a week, there luggage was delivered to their door at home.

I never place any documents with our home address in luggage. I list the cell phone I am carrying and email address on luggage tags as well as on a large piece of paper packed inside. Too many sketchy characters are selling personal info online these days, in this case an address with nobody home :eek:.