Magen's Beach in St. Thomas

Pickels

We're cruising in a few weeks (Yippee!), and we were thinking of heading over to Magen's Bay via a cab ride. Going thru Celebrity, limits the beach time, 3 hours or less considering travel time. Your thoughts on this excursion would really be appreciated, thanks all.

We've done this a number of times and plan to do it again next week (BTW, it's actually Magens Bay).

The last time we were in St. Thomas there were a number of "group" size vans just outside. They hold about 10 people and leave as soon as they are full. You can either book your return time with that driver or grab whichever one is around when you are ready to leave.

Loads of flexibility and much cheaper than the ship.

If you go to the Caribbean ports section of this forum you'll probably find the cost and more current details.

Nice beach but no snorkling it's all sand. There are other nice beachs like Sapphire or Coco that are much closer to port. If I had a choice I'd go over to St. John's and Trunk Bay.

J.

We're cruising in a few weeks (Yippee!), and we were thinking of heading over to Magen's Bay via a cab ride. Going thru Celebrity, limits the beach time, 3 hours or less considering travel time. Your thoughts on this excursion would really be appreciated, thanks all.

Honestly I think it's overrated, we have done it a couple of times and it's a nice enough beach with decent facilities but top 10 beach in the world at one time ? Sorry no. Don't get me wrong we have enjoyed the experience, there is a nice bar and place to eat there with plenty of sun loungers but for us maybe a 7/10 beach.

You don't need Celebrity excursion it's so much easier to do it yourself. You will save money and you will do it at your own pace. Completely doable as DIY!!!

Edited by cruza

If there are a lot of ships in port, and there usually are many, Magens Bay will be very crowded. We prefer Sapphire Beach or Emerald Bay. Sapphire is the prettiest in my opinion. As far as being in the top 10, no way! Sapphire looks over the British Virgin Islands and St. Johns. It is much prettier. Taxi fare was about $10 each in a van and you could rent chairs and umbrellas.

I would NEVER do the excursion through the ship. Cabs are abundant as you get off the ship. Grab an open air taxi and go!!! so much fun and you are on your time table vs the ship. It is the only way to beach it on the islands. STT is SO used to visitors, trust me, there are a ton of open air jeeps to take you back to the ship when you are ready!!!

If there are a lot of ships in port, and there usually are many, Magens Bay will be very crowded. We prefer Sapphire Beach or Emerald Bay. Sapphire is the prettiest in my opinion. As far as being in the top 10, no way! Sapphire looks over the British Virgin Islands and St. Johns. It is much prettier. Taxi fare was about $10 each in a van and you could rent chairs and umbrellas.

Sapphire is gorgeous. Problem is - unless it has changed recently, there are no amenities, no chairs, etc due to the issues there. So make sure you know if it is open before you go there. I love it there, awesome snorkeling, but it was closed (ie nothing there) when we were there last year.

Magen's Bay can be a dangerous place, be safe and stay close to the crowds. Avoid the extreme end as you will be isolated and then a target for the island's low life.

What???? Magen's is not dangerous. Been there many, many times and have NEVER felt that is was dangerous. It is gorgeous there.

Went to Sapphire once, in January 2013, and have been to Magens several times, last this past January. Magens is a state facility and is well maintained with a bar, place for food, and decently maintained changing facilities. The beach is lovely and shallow - and you can see a few fish in the clear water. You can rent a chaise and there are plenty of trees for shade. It's big and popular so there is usually a short wait for the next taxi back to the port.

Sapphire's public facilities look like they were originally part of a now-gone hotel complex and are not very hospitable. There are a couple of condo buildings and people walking around selling food and drinks. They have a nice coral reef with decent snorkeling. But it's not as popular so there may be a wait for a taxi.

I did not feel unsafe in either location, but like that there's always a ready taxi at Magens to get back to the ship. Click here to see photos we've taken on the various islands - there are plenty from both beaches on St. Thomas. St. Johns and Trunk Bay are lovely, but that means a boat ride off island - something I'd never do unless as a ship excursion.

j

Very sandy, too sunny and the water is salty. :rolleyes: :D

I just find beaches to be rather boring. I can stay on the ship, lay in a nice shady place and have my drinks thru the drink pack, and snacks from the buffet instead of doing that on a beach.

Personally I would rather do a snorkeling excursion.

As you asked those are my thoughts and opinion.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Im rethinking our plan to go to Sapphire in a few weeks. We want great snorkeling from the beach... but after reading these posts, I'm rethinking Sapphire. We were planning to hop on the public bus to Sapphire. Any other recommendations?

What???? Magen's is not dangerous. Been there many, many times and have NEVER felt that is was dangerous. It is gorgeous there.

Back in 2012 there were many mugging and even one murder reported at Magen's Bay. We were aboard the Noordam and were advised not to visit the Bay, glad it has improved with added beach security guards. Strongly advise what other said, stay with the crowds and you will be safe, the perimeters of the beach are no-go areas as far as we are concerned.

Edited by mickey89