WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

We'll take a couple free cocktails as Diamond and call it good, don't need to get crocked and drunk and pay RCCL a fortune to do so whether it's up front on a package or by the drink.......

Of course the cheer leaders will say that the onboard prices are similar to those on land. I was just at a local bar and had 1.00 bottles. Will NEVER see that on RCCL.....ever........ they want 5-6.00 for a BEER! Oh and don't forget the 18% "service charge"......

They are making a fortune on booze. And people will still say the rules about bringing liquor onboard are just about liability, not profit. Too funny.

Not a local bar. Most compare to local "resorts" bars or hotels or even sports stadiums. Haven't you ever bought a $10 draft beer at a football game or baseball game? I have.

Okay, so if the drinks listed on the menu are premium drinks (ketelOne and Grey goose are usually premium, right? I think smirnoff and maybe absolut are well) can you ask for a well drink and get a lower price? It would make sense for them to just advertise the more expensive option, but still offer the lower priced ones, because people will not think to ask. But it wouldn't make much sense to sell both for the same price.

Not a local bar. Most compare to local "resorts" bars or hotels or even sports stadiums. Haven't you ever bought a $10 draft beer at a football game or baseball game? I have.

True enough but I do not stay at the ballpark 24 hours/day for a week or longer either! ;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Edited by joepeka

We were on the Vision in Feb. We don't drink a lot so the drink package is not for us. But I was SHOCKED to see that at the Schooner Bar the menu had ALL mixed drinks at $12 each and the pool & solarium bars had ALL mixed drinks at $10 each. Add the gratuity and that is almost $24 for two people. Not going to do that more than once a day on our limited budget.

Note that a buy one - get one (sometimes free or 50% off) is offered for an hour a day but you need to read the compass for the bar.

But beyond that the quality of the drinks and choice has diminished greatly over last years Feb cruise on the Jewel. Drinks were watery and low on taste. There was alcohol but no rich flavors or a fruit spike. Also, there was only a choice of about 7 cocktails (where is the Bahama Mama I fell in love with??). I blame the change from a quality mix brand (saw the individual cartons on my last cruise but I cannot remember the brand name) to a watered down mix in a jug. Supplying drinks to the masses is what it is all about now.

Will it change my cruising habits. NO WAY. Will I buy drinks on board. NO WAY. You want to charge me that price then make it a large, tasty drink in a fancy glass with fruit garnish. Make it special and I will feel special drinking it. Otherwise, you can keep it.

Totally with you on this, 100%. I hate to do the "way back then" thing, but when I started cruising, they made the strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas fresh. Or at least...with fruit and fruit garnishes. Many years ago, it changed to mixers which are not the same at all...at least to me. Basically, if I'm paying $12, or even $10, for a mixed drink, I expect it to be good quality. Last time I was onboard Majesty, I ordered 1 drink and nothing the rest of the cruise, because it was tasteless and sugary sweet...not good at all.

I know it's not ideal to compare land vacations to cruising and feeding the masses onboard, but in Ft. Lauderdale in January (Pelican Grand Beach Resort) I paid $12 for a large lava flow...house made pina colada (fresh coconut) and it had fresh berries pureed in it. Pineapple garnish and an edible orchid. THAT....I was happy paying the $12 for. Royal Caribbean drinks? No way. Absolutely no way. They are taking the special aspects of cruising away, and I don't like it one bit.

i have done a lot of ncl cruises in the past so approx 1 year ago i decided to book my first rcl cruise.Since then ive been on this site regular on this board to know more and more about cl.All these months the only thing that i am reading is deteriorating service on the ships..technical defects...prices going up all the time..problems with customer service which i experienced as well as i sent them 3 emails about questions for my cruise and i never got any reply(!!!!!!)

I am really worried that i am going to hate my decision for booking with these guys.Now i am past final payment though so i will go wih the flow and just drink very wisely on this cruise.its no worries since i have another cruise starting on ncl immediately after this and there i will buy all my booze

I understand that in the past, you were required to purchase a premium drink package for everyone 21+ in your stateroom but that has recently changed.

I know people are going to call me cheap for asking this, but since I know so many people are thinking it-- can someone who has experienced purchasing a premium drink package this year explain what exactly keeps people from sharing drink packages?

Thanks

I know people are going to call me cheap for asking this, but since I know so many people are thinking it-- can someone who has experienced purchasing a premium drink package this year explain what exactly keeps people from sharing drink packages?

Thanks

Nothing!

sharing the odd drink will go un-noticed and unchecked... but do it blatantly and you will have your package privileges withdrawn without a refund.

Thanks for posting this. Useful info. Wish I could get a higher res version so its more readable, but understand the forum's restrictions.

I've managed to upload hi res photos of the menu in all bars (except the pub which has its own A3 menu):

menu1.JPG

menu2.JPG

I will be drinking the FOSTERS OIL CAN from now on, they are 25oz, as the price has actually REDUCED from $6.95 to $6.50 - a saving of 32c on the previous price even with 18% added :D

Edited by icsys

It seems like the drinks listed in the menu are premium drinks. Are "regular" drinks $10 as well? $10 is not out of line for a top shelf margarita or martini, but is there really no cheaper (unlisted) option?

Edited by gms5002

It seems like the drinks listed in the menu are premium drinks. Are "regular" drinks $10 as well? $10 is not out of line for a top shelf margarita or martini, but is there really no cheaper (unlisted) option?

NO

We asked for a B52 and a Black Russian. We were told ALL alcoholic cocktails are now $10 + ... didn't bother asking after that!

Only drink cheaper was a 'one off' cocktail of the day priced at $7.75 (one special in nine days) and a 'special promotion' on margaritas... buy all five at a special price of $7.75 + gratuity each (total= $45.72) and get entered into a draw for a 'chance' to win $50 off you bar bill.

Edited by icsys

I'm probably dreaming here, but I wonder if the $10 drink thing is something for spring break, and drink prices might go back to "normal" after the break.

Bloody Mary on 2/22/15 Navigator was $12+ 18% tip - insane in our opinion. We did order this on 2 separate occasions, but we thought it was ridiculous. We are not big drinkers, so will not get a drink package, but we were rather shocked.

Bloody Mary on 2/22/15 Navigator was $12+ 18% tip - insane in our opinion. We did order this on 2 separate occasions, but we thought it was ridiculous. We are not big drinkers, so will not get a drink package, but we were rather shocked.

And Royal has the worst Bloody Mary mix I've ever tasted...watered down and tasteless. It's my favorite day time drink and after ordering one on the Navigator last year...that was it. And now they want $12 + tip??? Ridiculous!

I'm probably dreaming here, but I wonder if the $10 drink thing is something for spring break, and drink prices might go back to "normal" after the break.

Sorry for the second post, but the first response seems not to have made it through the system.

On 2/22/15 Navigator Bloody Marys were $12+ 18% tip. We were rather shocked, and there were no prices for this. We're not big drinkers, so we won't get the drink package, but we thought this price was ridiculous.

This was definitely not a Spring Break cruise, so I think these prices are the new norm. This was a bit discouraging to us, although the cruise was very nice and we had great weather.

Totally agree. I wasnt going to go there but since you did, Im sure it wont be long before they show up. :D

I have never paid 12.00 for Margarita or 7.00 for a beer ANYWHERE on land :rolleyes:

You have not been to "JerryWorld" LOL

Those prices represent the rise in gratuity from 15% to 18% on the package prices of $35, $49, and $55 respectively.

Just checked my Cruise Planner for my April FOS cruise. The new $57+ price shows for the premium package, but when I go to check out it adds an additional 18% gratuity :eek:

Hoping this is just a website glitch...has anyone else tried?

The new President and CEO sure seems willing to put the squeeze on left and right for the benefit of short term gain and keeping share prices high while the company takes on a lot more debt.

I think some of these changes and increases are short sighted and may back fire. I think they are big increases and will really test brand loyalty. NCL's pricing and promotions are easy to understand and they are pumping out new ships too with new entertainment and experiences. And the prices just blow RCI away. Royal's pricing themselves away from a lot of very loyal members. Loyalty and liking the brand though doesn't mean paying more on RCI for an oceanview with no beverage package than getting a balcony for 3 with beverage packages on NCL. They've got a lot of beds to fill and if they fleece all the newcomers they may not be back for more.

Two cocktails with 18% on top gets kind of crowded on $25. If we're walking past a bar to a show I'll definitely think twice now about grabbing two drinks for $25. :eek:

We'll take a couple free cocktails as Diamond and call it good, don't need to get crocked and drunk and pay RCCL a fortune to do so whether it's up front on a package or by the drink.......

Of course the cheer leaders will say that the onboard prices are similar to those on land. I was just at a local bar and had 1.00 bottles. Will NEVER see that on RCCL.....ever........ they want 5-6.00 for a BEER! Oh and don't forget the 18% "service charge"......

They are making a fortune on booze. And people will still say the rules about bringing liquor onboard are just about liability, not profit. Too funny.

Indeed. I mean, we're getting a drink package for our 3 day so it's a bit more reasonable, but on a 5 dayor 7 day it's getting pretty expensive, package or not. And you're right, it's easy to get cheap booze on land. The place we go to is $9 pitchers....drinks are probably around $5-$6, but i don't get cocktails too often....people who say that land prices are similar are probably from NY, Chicago, LA, etc.....small towns have cheaper booze usually :D

I can understand why people smuggle booze. It's one thing to provide it, and even ask whatever you want to for it, I get that, but where does it end?

Two cocktails with 18% on top gets kind of crowded on $25. If we're walking past a bar to a show I'll definitely think twice now about grabbing two drinks for $25. :eek:

yeah, that's BS. $25 for two drinks is wayyy too much....Even $15 should be a stretch....What's the profit margin....like 500%

If they keep it up, they're going to be in a world of hurt...

I think some of these changes and increases are short sighted and may back fire. I think they are big increases and will really test brand loyalty. NCL's pricing and promotions are easy to understand and they are pumping out new ships too with new entertainment and experiences. And the prices just blow RCI away. Royal's pricing themselves away from a lot of very loyal members. Loyalty and liking the brand though doesn't mean paying more on RCI for an oceanview with no beverage package than getting a balcony for 3 with beverage packages on NCL. They've got a lot of beds to fill and if they fleece all the newcomers they may not be back for more.

They are getting more newcomers every single day with these promotions as the loyal ones are mostly staying loyal. They need new blood to fill these ships and are doing an amazing job.

I just checked our Cruise Planner and it appears the package prices have gone up over the prices that are listed in the beverage package flyer that's been posted on this board (http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf) which is dated 2/17/15. The prices showing for my Radiance cruise (and DD's cruise on Oasis in a couple of months) are:

Ultimate: $64.90/pp per day

Premium: $57.82/pp per day

Select: $41.30/pp per day

Do the prices I list above represent a recent increase?

Us folk in Australia get to purchase our package in AUD if we buy before the cruise. The Ultimate package that was listed at AU $84 up until two weeks before our embarkation date has suddenly jumped to AU $99. Yet other Australians whose embarkation date is still a few weeks in the future are still seeing the AU $84 price. :confused: