WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

In our case, the price increase will cause us to buy fewer drinks, if any.

There comes a point where too much is too much.

We will also probably go back to Princess for our next cruise.

RC shot themselves in the foot for us personally.

You really don't understand? :confused:

What's the last time something you purchased went up 40% overnight and you felt fine about it?

Yep. RCCL is counting on those who don't care about the price increases............:rolleyes: We will be glad to use our 3 Diamond vouchers or what we can get in the lounge next time. Will NOT be paying them 10.00+18% for a simple cocktail. Absurd. I'm sure there will be others who will subsidize the cruise.........

Edited by bouhunter

Glad to see the OP woke the pitchfork and torches crowd but those drinks on his menu are premium. Tell me what a Captain & Coke costs and maybe I'll take up the cause.

From my understanding, 11.80 with the tip. Seems like 4-5 drinks a day now is the "break even" point for drink packages.

Edited by ryano

Yep. RCCL is counting on those who don't care about the price increases........

Exactly, and they are counting on thousands and thousands of them.

I had someone tell me yesterday on a FB Crown and Anchor page that they "wont bat an eye" at even 20.00 a piece drinks :eek: This is exactly what RCI wants to hear and why they are getting away with all the price hikes. They will push as far as they can until their customers PUSH back.

Even if money was no object for me, there is no way I could be that "loose" with it. I dont care if it is "vacation".

Edited by ryano

Exactly, and they are counting on thousands and thousands of them.

I had someone tell me yesterday on a FB Crown and Anchor page that they "wont bat an eye" at even 20.00 a piece drinks :eek: This is exactly what RCI wants to hear and why they are getting away with all the price hikes. They will push as far as they can until their customers PUSH back.

Even if money was no object for me, there is no way I could be that "loose" with it. I dont care if it is "vacation".

I agree with you. It is not necessarily a matter of whether or not I can afford something. I expect a good value for my money. If I don't get it I won't buy. And my principles don't get left at home when I vacation.

It will not work with me. In fact, I will drink even less now if all cocktails are starting at 10.00 + the tip and I wont be tipping extra like I did in the past.

I agree with you on that. I dont really care if i drink or not. I agree the extra tipping will be out the window now

True enough but I do not stay at the ballpark 24 hours/day for a week or longer either! ;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire

True. You have a point. On the other hand, I don't typically drink non-stop either. I might have a cocktail or 2 in the afternoon and a couple at night but I am not one to be drunk at 9am.

A few of you have touched on it, but how is the service been with these packages?

I've not used it, so is it a sticker or a swipe? I can't imagine if I was a bartender, I'd be inclined to serve those on the package before those paying per drink, as it seems those paying per drink may be more likely to tip extra.

But again, I don't know how tips work. They're probably all pooled, so perhaps it doesn't matter either way.

I'm very interested in reading all the comments/opinions regarding the pricing. As I stated before, I'll be on my first RCL cruise in June. Here is my question.....Can drink packages be purchased during the cruise? I am on 4 night Enchantment and was thinking perhaps I'd wait to see the prices once I am onboard and then decide if it is worth it. Perhaps purchase on the 2nd day if interested. Does anyone know if this is possible and if they still charge the same even though you have one less day to use it? Thanks!!:confused:

I'm very interested in reading all the comments/opinions regarding the pricing. As I stated before, I'll be on my first RCL cruise in June. Here is my question.....Can drink packages be purchased during the cruise? I am on 4 night Enchantment and was thinking perhaps I'd wait to see the prices once I am onboard and then decide if it is worth it. Perhaps purchase on the 2nd day if interested. Does anyone know if this is possible and if they still charge the same even though you have one less day to use it? Thanks!!:confused:

You can purchase drink packages during the cruise. They normally require at least a 4 day purchase, so your only opetion might be day 1. If they do allow you to purchase for fewer days, then you would only pay for the days you purchase.

A few of you have touched on it, but how is the service been with these packages?

I've not used it, so is it a sticker or a swipe? I can't imagine if I was a bartender, I'd be inclined to serve those on the package before those paying per drink, as it seems those paying per drink may be more likely to tip extra.

But again, I don't know how tips work. They're probably all pooled, so perhaps it doesn't matter either way.

At 10.00 plus 18% I doubt the "per drink" customers will be tipping as much as they used to.............. I suspect these higher individual drink prices and all inclusive packages aren't going to be that good for the servers when it comes to extra cash tips:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I hope RCCL reps are paying attention to the gripes. :(

My family and I are planning a Thanksgiving cruise and have decided to give NCL a try. The cabin prices and promotional offers are much better than RCCL. :)

No they aren't, in fact it's the opposite they are raising cruise and drink prices. And fools are paying it.

I just talked to customer relations about this thread. I was interested in the Ultimate package I purchased, and asked if price's have increased, has the drink packages been adjusted. Though the woman, who was very pleasant, I was talking to did not know if any large sweeping increases have been made, as to the packages, the ceiling was raised in late February from 10.00 to 12.00 per drink and 12.00 for wine (before tip). They also increased the gratitudy from 15 % to 18 %. In addition, if you do purchase something over the limit with a drink package, you are just charged for the difference.

I can understand the opinions on this string. Im leaving in 9 days on Grandeur for a 10 day cruise. I guess I'll wait and see what the impact really amounts to. One way or the other, I still plan to put the drink package to good use. Its more of a bargin for me now than ever. :D

Edited by runningtide

My two favorite parts of this thread:

1. Turning the word M*ch*g*an into profanity. Solid work.

2. The people at Cracker Barrel going nuts with excitement over people flocking to their locations to buy those little fun fact cards that say how much things cost in certain years. I can only guess on this one, because it seems as if people don't actually realize that prices go up and have classically gone up over the centuries.

If you don't pay for it, they will figure out a way to sell it to you for cheaper. However, as long as most people pay the higher price, they will keep charging that.

I have a very well-stocked bar at home. It has all of my favorites.

I have some majorly awesome friends at home. I have them over to share those drinks.

I will enjoy a few drinks each cruise, at my own discretion on how much I spend, knowing it is nothing like my drinks at home.

Not sure if this has been answered. The drink prices that were posted, for the most part, involved 2-3 different liquors. I can understand the $10 price for that. Can someone who is onboard one of the ships answer this question. What is the price for a "well drink", such as gin and tonic, bourbon and 7, etc? IS $10 THE CHEAPEST PRICE FOR ANY DRINK.

All I do is ask the bartender if this drink is included in the package.

Agreed but not exactly convenient going through a range of drinks. I like cocktails on a cruise but dont know many so lime to look at a menu to choose based on the ingredients,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new President and CEO sure seems willing to put the squeeze on left and right for the benefit of short term gain and keeping share prices high while the company takes on a lot more debt.

I think some of these changes and increases are short sighted and may back fire. I think they are big increases and will really test brand loyalty. NCL's pricing and promotions are easy to understand and they are pumping out new ships too with new entertainment and experiences. And the prices just blow RCI away. Royal's pricing themselves away from a lot of very loyal members. Loyalty and liking the brand though doesn't mean paying more on RCI for an oceanview with no beverage package than getting a balcony for 3 with beverage packages on NCL. They've got a lot of beds to fill and if they fleece all the newcomers they may not be back for more.

Two cocktails with 18% on top gets kind of crowded on $25. If we're walking past a bar to a show I'll definitely think twice now about grabbing two drinks for $25. :eek:

i find it humorous that several months ago everyone was so happy to see AG go and welcomed Mr Bailey. now apparently he is just as bad :eek: