WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

You keep blaming this on the D and D+ drinks. However, nothing has really changed recently except that now they can get what they were already drinking before at a bar outside of the DL. So I don't really see this as the driving force behind the price increases.

Not entirely but think of the workers....do they get 15% on a voucher as a tip from RCL? If no tip that "perk" actually hurts the workers. RCL wants to keep their workers happy I suppose. Does RCL make any money on all the smuggled booze not caught? I would suspect not. All I'm saying (or writing actually) that nobody gets anything for "free" from a business. Someplace, somehow money has to be made to cover the cost of the "free" or "earned" perk. Some "royals" want an "all inclusive" on a beer budget.

I wonder if the drink prices will cause people to try to sneak (or sneak more) alcohol onto the ship.

M

This thread has made me think that raising individual drink prices (when RC's costs are not rising, or at least not significantly), may be a strategem to get cruisers to buy the packages, making them think that it is a really good deal NOW. Or to buy into the new BOGO50 promo, along the same lines.

This thread has made me think that raising individual drink prices (when RC's costs are not rising, or at least not significantly), may be a strategem to get cruisers to buy the packages, making them think that it is a really good deal NOW. Or to buy into the new BOGO50 promo, along the same lines.

DING DING DING!!!!!!! We have a winner!!! ;)

... but maybe replace the word "cruisers" with "suckers" and the bolded sentence will oh so much more sense.

I usually have 4 or 5 drinks a day, starting with a bloody Mary. That will surely change now. I don't drink that much at home, and can survive. I'm sure I can survive at sea too. I enjoy the drinks on a cruise, but I won't go for my lungs to buy them.

Drinks of the day last week on Legend were $7.95 plus 18% gratuity. I don't recall seeing any souvenir glasses/cups the entire cruise.

There were also special drinks and/or discounts at specific bars during specific hours each day. For example, one night the Viking Crown might have $5 house margaritas from 3:00 - 5:00. The next day, the pool bar might have 20% off all drinks from 4:00 - 6:00. There was something comparable every day of the 10-night cruise, but times, locations, and the specific discount(s) were always different.

I don't know if that was something unique to Legend.

Indy did have various drink specials in various bars at various times just as you describe with Legend. But the Drink of the Day was $10.00 + 18% every day.

Get your flame throwers ready i will be waiting for you,,,,,I think Royal should do away with the free drinks for anyone since alot of people have posted that they will only drink there free ones,,,,,cheap _ _ _ people

Rum and Coke

Vodka and 7

Whiskey and Coke

Gin and Tonic

Etc....

These are usually called Highballs

Drinks that have more then 2 ingredients (mixes or liquor) are usually called cocktails.

Not in the states, at least my states. :banghead:

Get your flame throwers ready i will be waiting for you,,,,,I think Royal should do away with the free drinks for anyone since alot of people have posted that they will only drink there free ones,,,,,cheap _ _ _ people

When you support me and my family, then you can criticize how I choose to spend my money. Until then, don't worry about it.

OK... Here is Wikipedia's answer to what is a cocktail. I hope it can put this argument to rest:

Cocktail: When used to refer to any generic alcoholic mixed drink, cocktail may mean any beverage that contains two or more ingredients if at least one of them contains alcohol.

Highball Is a sub category(Type) of Cocktail where only one Distilled spirit is used with one mixer (i.e. Soda or fruit Juice).

A Martini is also a sub category of a cocktail.

I'm sure RCCL is laughing at all of us on CC. here we are, trying to vent our frustrations about the price increase of cocktails and posters are arguing about what is a cocktail.

:cool:

dp

I'm not going to flame you, but the 3 free drinks they're giving diamond and up is costing them very little. The 3 gin and tonics that I drink probably won't cost them more than 3 bucks. And I'm not talking 3 bucks apiece. I'm talking for all 3. At the volume they buy their booze, probably a lot less

I'm not going to flame you, but the 3 free drinks they're giving diamond and up is costing them very little. The 3 gin and tonics that I drink probably won't cost them more than 3 bucks. And I'm not talking 3 bucks apiece. I'm talking for all 3. At the volume they buy their booze, probably a lot less

I agree with you but those free drinks add up per cruise for everyone that gets them. my point is if your not going to buy any drinks then you shouldnt get any for free

We're about to try RCI for the first time ... and it may very well be the last time. We're not heavy drinkers, we enjoy a cocktail or two but mostly drink wine. We enjoy good wines so the drinks packages are not really ideal for us as the wines by the glass are limited and we would still have to pay 80% of the price of wines by the bottle.

On our last cruise, with Princess, we spent an average of AU $85 per day on drinks for both of us, which included coffees, cocktails, the occasional after dinner drink, and some excellent wines, far better than we can afford at restaurants in Australia.

I am expecting that we will have to cut back on drinks on our upcoming cruise, otherwise our drinks bill will end up being at least AU $200 per day for similar to what we had on Princess. The wine prices alone are more expensive in US dollars than the Princess wines were in AU dollars :eek: