Using my own cup with the Unlimited Soda Package?

kaytamar

I would prefer to use my Tervis Tumbler on-board when getting a soda using the Beverage Package, as opposed to a new glass each time. Does anyone know if I can just hand over my cup for a fill, or must I use Princess' glassware? Thanks!

Since the bars use a gun that does not touch the container and is in the control of staff, that's ok. Personal containers cannot be used where there is a risk of container touching dispenser.

Most of the ships I have been on lately have updated the ice/water

machines in the lido, so it's very difficult to touch the 'nozzle', which

is behind a guard.

Since were in the area of my concern, is it 'against the rules' to fill one's thermos mug from the coffee/ hot water dispensers in the buffet?

First off, if the ship is not calling in US ports, such as Australian based ships, a whole different set of public health rules apply.

Now, on ships calling at US ports, yes the bartenders can refill personal glasses, because as stated they are trained in USPH protocols and will not allow cross-contamination. If a beverage dispenser is the "non-contact" type, where you place the glass on a ledge, and push a button to dispense, and the nozzle is hidden or covered with a guard, then usually this is okay to refill from (this is how RCI does it with their unlimited package and Freestyle machines, you get a glass that has a chip in it that allows the machine to dispense). If the glass can touch the dispensing spout, or touches a lever to dispense, then no, you are not allowed to refill from these dispensers. The same strictures apply to hot beverages. There will be signs if you are not allowed to refill from the dispensers.

Since were in the area of my concern, is it 'against the rules' to fill one's thermos mug from the coffee/ hot water dispensers in the buffet?

I have seen pax fill bottles with coffee at the dispenser in the HC and no one stopped them. I fill my sport bottle with ice and water all the time in the HC without any problem. The really nice part is that it is open 24x7 for pax to access the water/ice/coffee/tea. I have been on perhaps half the ships Princess sails and have never had a problem.

Now RCI is a different problem in that they will not fill personal drink containers at the bars. I had to get a glass of soda and then pour it into my sport bottle. Then there was the time I tried to fill my sport bottle at the dispensers in the buffet and was chastised by the staff and probably lucky they did not make me walk the plank! Two of the staff actually yelled at me for doing it. So I took a glass of water setting on the tray and started to fill my bottle and got yelled at again. Probably one of the reasons I don't sail on RCI anymore.

Edited by satxdiver

Now RCI is a different problem in that they will not fill personal drink containers at the bars. I had to get a glass of soda and then pour it into my sport bottle. Then there was the time I tried to fill my sport bottle at the dispensers in the buffet and was chastised by the staff and probably lucky they did not make me walk the plank! Two of the staff actually yelled at me for doing it. So I took a glass of water setting on the tray and started to fill my bottle and got yelled at again. Probably one of the reasons I don't sail on RCI anymore.

RCI has installed the type of Coke machine on some of their ships which has numerous combinations of flavors. This machine is to be used in the buffet by those who purchase the RCI equivalent of a soda sticker. Those who get this are given a cup which must be used to get the soda as the cup probably has an rfid chip which lets the machine know it is legitimate for the soda dispensing.

Yes, against the rules. OK to first put it in a clean ship's cup or glass and then pour it into your thermos.

Just like needing a new plate every time you re-enter the buffet, the idea is to keep possible germs away from where other passengers may get them.

Yes, against the rules. OK to first put it in a clean ship's cup or glass and then pour it into your thermos.

Just like needing a new plate every time you re-enter the buffet, the idea is to keep possible germs away from where other passengers may get them.

It used to be that there were signs but just recently they have disappeared & no one says a word about refilling your personal bottle or mug in the Horizon- at least on the CB.

It used to be that there were signs but just recently they have disappeared & no one says a word about refilling your personal bottle or mug in the Horizon- at least on the CB.

I have filled my personal coffee/tea mug on Caribbean, Star, Golden, Sapphire, Emerald...never saw a sign not to and no one told me not to.

I have filled my personal coffee/tea mug on Caribbean, Star, Golden, Sapphire, Emerald...never saw a sign not to and no one told me not to.

I really think they just gave up on trying to enforce the fill policy. Since they have push buttons to turn on the fill there's no need to even try. Your cup never touches the spout.

...and this is why we have noro outbreaks (among other reasons).

I can see not refilling a bottle with a narrow mouth that might come into contact with a spout, depending on how the water, lemonade, iced tea, etc. is dispensed, for hygiene reasons. What I don't understand is the objection to a wide mouthed cup or mug that never goes near a spout. We take plastic cups with lids and straws. Filling that is no different than my grabbing a cup or glass that anyone could have touched from the pile next to the machines and using that.

I really think they just gave up on trying to enforce the fill policy. Since they have push buttons to turn on the fill there's no need to even try. Your cup never touches the spout.

If the dispenser is the "no contact" type, then there is no restriction on refilling. It is dispensers where the glass touches the lever to dispense that is the problem, regardless of whether you touch the spout.

I can see not refilling a bottle with a narrow mouth that might come into contact with a spout, depending on how the water, lemonade, iced tea, etc. is dispensed, for hygiene reasons. What I don't understand is the objection to a wide mouthed cup or mug that never goes near a spout. We take plastic cups with lids and straws. Filling that is no different than my grabbing a cup or glass that anyone could have touched from the pile next to the machines and using that.

Hopefully, under USPH procedures, the glasses are inverted, so the touch from others would be at the bottom. Again, for a wide mouth cup or mug, it is the dispensing lever that is the main concern. But if it is a pushbutton type, then there is no problem.

If the dispenser is the "no contact" type, then there is no restriction on refilling. It is dispensers where the glass touches the lever to dispense that is the problem, regardless of whether you touch the spout.

Hopefully, under USPH procedures, the glasses are inverted, so the touch from others would be at the bottom. Again, for a wide mouth cup or mug, it is the dispensing lever that is the main concern. But if it is a pushbutton type, then there is no problem.

Yes but for as long as I can remember they've always has push buttons on Princess and they used to discourage filling your own container from the fountain.

Maybe my memory is failing me.

Since they have push buttons to turn on the fill there's no need to even try. Your cup never touches the spout.

There is a difference between not needing to touch the spout with the cup and someone who has the cup touch it anyway.

It is extremely unsanitary to use your own cup/mug to refill! It spreads bacteria, and I don't care if someone "washed" it in the stateroom. That's a bathroom sink, which harbors loads of bathroom germs! Please just use the provided glasses which have been sanitized to public health standards!

It is extremely unsanitary to use your own cup/mug to refill! It spreads bacteria, and I don't care if someone "washed" it in the stateroom. That's a bathroom sink, which harbors loads of bathroom germs! Please just use the provided glasses which have been sanitized to public health standards!

I agree! :eek: