Has anyone else stopped recommending RCI to people?

We have not stopped recommending Royal or Celebrity. We still think they are good values, but are disappointed in a number of the changes they have made in last couple of years.

We now sail less with grandkids arriving.

If asked, I would put my disclaimer out there as I do suggest a cruise line.

I am sure many passengers love the new Royal/Celebrity and I think that makes sense in that Royal/Celebrity is looking to appeal to a new generation of cruisers. The problem is that the younger generation is not as loyal, thus it will be interesting to see how cruising evolves.

Why do you think younger generation is not loyal.

Why do you think younger generation is not loyal.

I think they are not as loyal, not that they are not loyal at all.

My view is from watching my kids/spouses and their friends in action and in discussions with them. Also, just from reading articles and listening to reports on tv/internet. Finally, from my own experience and how I have stayed with certain brands for decades.

Another way to maybe say this is that my generation and older, I am 64 seemed to attach to a brand and were attached period. Something really bad would have to happen for us to abandon a brand. I think, in general, younger generations do and will more easily move from brand to brand. To get the same level of loyalty that my generation exhibited brands/companies will have to offer much more quality, value for the long term loyalty of the younger consumer.

I don't think that is a bad thing. I do think companies need to understand this difference and if they do and capitalize on it, they will do very well. Finally, sharp companies will seek feedback and then react to that feedback to keep their loyal customers.

Edited by shipshape sam

Congratulations! We gained three in the last 2 & 1/2 years. With Grandma providing some daycare, it slowed us down to just 2 cruises this year. But we're working on pushing it back up to 3 or 4 next year. :D

when people find out i cruise they usually ask me which cruise line i sail with or recommend. In the past i always said rci (unless i thought another line wold suit their needs better). Up until now rci has been the best overall with regards to price/value, ships, amenities, etc, to us.

But lately i've stopped recommending them as a first choice without pause. I say rci has been our favorite but i can not, in all honesty, tell people to try rci without doing your research because i no longer feel they are the best value in most cases. Now i tell people to compare a few lines with similar itineraries because in recent months many of rci sailings have gone up so much in price, to me, they are no longer even close to a good value. This is my opinion, ymmv.

The bogohoax sale that's been never ending since last may is a complete farce now. But i guess there must be tons of new cruisers out there that don't know that most of these prices are truly inflated, even from last year's prices, so the sale is working. Supply and demand i guess. I realize there's inflation but the cost increases are way more than that.

And now with the huge jump in drink prices....things are getting crazy at rci. We have 3 cruises booked (booked them back in early may with bogo, so we truly got sale prices) but unless i find some decent rates i don't see us booking any more rci cruises.

I realize there are still some good rates to be had but they never seem to line up when we want/can to go.:mad:

Rci is still my favorite and i will continue to look for opportunities to sail with them but it's not the only line i am pricing now and cruising is not the only form of vacation we will consider. In fact, we are headed to cuba in a couple of weeks - this is the first winter without a cruise in years - in the past few years we never even considered anything but a cruise. It's sad but it's reality. For me, the value has diminished substantially.:(

i know many of you will disagree and that's ok. We all have our opinions and what's a good value to some is not to others. I'm glad there are choices out there for all of us.:d but maybe there are others like me who have stepped off the royal band wagon and looking at other options.

Happy travels:)

Never!! :d

Edited by Ladysilver

We have not stopped recommending Royal or Celebrity. We still think they are good values, but are disappointed in a number of the changes they have made in last couple of years.

If asked, I would put my disclaimer out there as I do suggest a cruise line.

I am sure many passengers love the new Royal/Celebrity and I think that makes sense in that Royal/Celebrity is looking to appeal to a new generation of cruisers. The problem is that the younger generation is not as loyal, thus it will be interesting to see how cruising evolves.

I don't think celebrity attracts the younger generation, when we talk about cruises the most popular and I mean most popular o matter what is the best or bad are

1) carnival

2) NCL

3) royal

4) from that point we think there are no more cruise lines out there

We mainly sail RCI, mostly because of all of the cool innovations on the ships. We are a childless, active couple who loves all of the skydiving, surfing, rock climbing, and ice skating type of activities. I also think they have some of the best workout rooms I've seen at sea.

The food for us has aways been hit or miss, but we never go hungry. I do like that the food variety has increased over the years and you aren't stuck in the dining room or the windjammer.

As for recommendations, I do recommend RCI for active couples, or couples with school-aged kids. I'd recommend Celebrity or one of the smaller luxury lines for someone who would like more of a romantic or sophisticated experience. If you are more into pool-side fun, and must have access to good pizza and ice cream, then Carnival is a good bet. It is also perfect for famlies on a budget. My cousin and her family have been enjoying cruises on Carnival without breaking the bank. I haven't been on NCL in ages, but their newer ships look like fun. As an RCI regular, I think I would imagine the newer NCL ships would be worth a try if there was an itenerary I liked better. I have not tried HA but they seem like they would appear to people who want a quieter cruise experinece, and would enjoy the enrichment programs and some really cool iteneraries. We'll probably give them a shot some day.

I also stear people towards other lines based on what kind of cruise they are interested in trying. I am happy there are so many choices that fit most budgets and tastes. RCI does have fairly broad appeal, but isn't for everyone. I also recognize that after 10 years sailing them nearly every year, it has changed quite a bit. If I cruised to eat, I'd have left a long time ago.

Edited by k8ster72

I don't think celebrity attracts the younger generation, when we talk about cruises the most popular and I mean most popular o matter what is the best or bad are

1) carnival

2) NCL

3) royal

4) from that point we think there are no more cruise lines out there

I can't say they actually do attract the younger generation. I do know that they are trying to attract them, especially those with more free cash to spend.

We live Royal Caribbean and highly recommend to all if our friends.

We have been consistently pleased with each new ship we've sailed and can't waut to board Abthem in 111 short days.

Beautiful ships, great service and crews, lots of trivia and fun on board events, good food, lovely fellow passengers.

Loyal to Royal.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I can't say they actually do attract the younger generation. I do know that they are trying to attract them, especially those with more free cash to spend.

In my experience, they rather go to a nice club spent like crazy and party all night long while posting selfies every 10 minutes at Miami beach than living in a cache for a week. The only time royal can semi fill the ice arena with young people is almost the last day of the cruise to make the quest game. I don't like carnival but I have to admit they do a hell of a job filling the pool area and making the biggest conga line I have ever seen in a ship

Btw if they now want to attract the younger people is because they have been missing them the whole time. Just look around in my time dinning, MDR or windjammer. You will be surprise how many young people you see around per passengers.

I recommended Royal to someone yesterday. They want to take their first cruise, so I asked them a few questions about who is going and what they think they'd like to experience on the cruise.

Their answers prompted me to recommend they try Navigator eastbound out of FLL.

It was what I thought best fit their wants. If it had been any other line or route or ship, I would've honestly recommended they try that instead.

I try to be truthful to my friends instead of pushing one line regardless of what my friends would probably like. They know we cruise a lot and actually seemingly value our opinions.

ETA:

I know an 8 night cruise is long for a first cruise, but it matched their needs/wants really well.

Edited by poncho1973

I don't quit recommending any cruise line (except for Celebirty, after a poor 1st and only sailing on the Solstice a few years ago). Actually, I like them all.

I do understand that some things bother people. Don't know a thing about BOGO. I look at the final price for any cruise, as that's all that matters to me. Whatever alleged promtion they're doing, if it means a final lower price for me, great. But, only one way to find out final prices is to contact a TA or the cruise line to see if any promos make a difference.

I'm on Anthem in December. Drink prices are up (not sure if they've gone up since the last time I cruised RCCL)? If I think the amount I drink will exceed or match the Drink Packages they offer, I buy the drink package.

All these cruise lines do their best to get, and retain, their customer base. Cruising is highly competitive. They're also competing with land based packages. They all want your vacation dollar.

I like the newer (and normally bigger ships) from all cruise lines as they offer a whole lot to do on vacation. I was going to cruise NCL because their newer ships are gorgeous and I love (LOVE) their Haven experience.

At the end of the day, price, ship and time of sailing pushed me to the Anthem, which looks quite interesting.

I won't recommend for anyone else, as everyone's taste is difference. It's your dollar (or pound, or euro). Spend it how you want, with whom you want.

If you believe alcohol is too high, and you can't budget for it, look for another vacation....maybe an all inclusive on land?

I recommended Royal to someone yesterday. They want to take their first cruise, so I asked them a few questions about who is going and what they think they'd like to experience on the cruise.

Their answers prompted me to recommend they try Navigator eastbound out of FLL.

It was what I thought best fit their wants. If it had been any other line or route or ship, I would've honestly recommended they try that instead.

I try to be truthful to my friends instead of pushing one line regardless of what my friends would probably like. They know we cruise a lot and actually seemingly value our opinions.

ETA:

I know an 8 night cruise is long for a first cruise, but it matched their needs/wants really well.

Our first cruise was a week long and we knew immediately that a week isn't long enough! They will most likely feel the same way and thank you for the advice!

Cruising is such a great vacation, but for people who don't like it, 3 days is too long, and for those who love it, the longer the better! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our first cruise was a week long and we knew immediately that a week isn't long enough! They will most likely feel the same way and thank you for the advice!

Cruising is such a great vacation, but for people who don't like it, 3 days is too long, and for those who love it, the longer the better! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our first cruise was 3 days. I think the fast pace of it almost turned us off. I think 7 is a good first cruise

I just want to wish everyone who is trying NCL for the first time good luck. Our experience was absolutely horrible and this is the only ship we remember the CD's name because he had to announce everything. The ship was new at the time but we just cannot bring ourselves try it again when we keep reading bad reviews.