I'm Jumping Ship! Help!

goldgirl2

I am jumping from RCI to Celebrity. I am fed up with Royal. Now I need help planning a cruise with Celebrity. I am looking for a seven night cruise to the Caribbean. I don't know anything about the ships, rooms, dining etc on X and would love input from some of the experts on this board. I have done some research and I am looking at the Concierge, Aqua and Sky Suite staterooms. I have read that Aqua will become Sky Suits and I am a little confused on what this means. We do prefer to eat in the main dining room. We like the social aspect of it and have made many good friends this way. We usually do one night in a specialty restaurant. We have only been in a JS on Freedom Class ships on RCI. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I value all input.

Hi goldgirl2, my 2nd Cruise on Celebrity a week on Sunday, Hubby's 13th. Always book the Concierge, we did 10 nights last one, but we were looking at the 7 nights, B2B, plenty of people can help you with Aqua and Sky, Equinox was in dry dock last year for changes, Eclipse is in dry dock this April, I think Reflection has all the newest changes eg Gastropub, Slush. Good look in choosing you've chosen well already [emoji3]

I am jumping from RCI to Celebrity. I am fed up with Royal. Now I need help planning a cruise with Celebrity. I am looking for a seven night cruise to the Caribbean. I don't know anything about the ships, rooms, dining etc on X and would love input from some of the experts on this board. I have done some research and I am looking at the Concierge, Aqua and Sky Suite staterooms. I have read that Aqua will become Sky Suits and I am a little confused on what this means. We do prefer to eat in the main dining room. We like the social aspect of it and have made many good friends this way. We usually do one night in a specialty restaurant. We have only been in a JS on Freedom Class ships on RCI. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I value all input.

Only on Celebrity Reflection is the change of cabins happening. This is X's newest ship, and they added some cabins to it, a new category called Aqua Suites. Do not confuse Aqua Suites with Aqua Class. Aqua Class is a standard veranda cabin, but with enhanced amenities, where an Aqua Suite is a standard Sky Suite, with enhanced Sky Suite amenities.

They are now converting these Aqua Suites into Sky Suites. All ships have Sky Suites, and qua Suites are the same size and configuration, but have a few amenities added for awe class, and enhanced shower and tub.

The Sky Suite is the equivalent of a Junior Suite on RCI so far as cabin size and layout are concerned. However on Celebrity, a Sky Suite gets her suite perks including a butler, dedicated restaurant (coming mid april) and other services.

I recommend not bothering with Concierge, unless they All-in 123 comes back giving it special perks. Nothing really different between it and Aqua class amenity wise, but Aqua has some extras. So I say pay more for aqua, or save money and do veranda and use the savings for specialty dining.

Edited by cle-guy

I am a huge fan of concierge class on Celebrity. I have never cruised in aqua or a suite, but concierge has nice perks that made my cruises feel special. The priority embarkation came in handy, as did the welcome bottle of Sparkling wine, and the priority reservations in the MDR. I have always enjoyed the Celebrity experience so I think you will enjoy any cabin you choose. Welcome to Celebrity and enjoy you cruise!

Hi goldgirl2, my 2nd Cruise on Celebrity a week on Sunday, Hubby's 13th. Always book the Concierge, we did 10 nights last one, but we were looking at the 7 nights, B2B, plenty of people can help you with Aqua and Sky, Equinox was in dry dock last year for changes, Eclipse is in dry dock this April, I think Reflection has all the newest changes eg Gastropub, Slush. Good look in choosing you've chosen well already [emoji3]

No, Reflection does not have these. Only Equinox Does.

Eclipse was to get them during its dryock, but there is a thread running that the conversion is not happening (Cellar Masters became Gastro Bar on Equinox, and a non-used kiosk became Slush by the pool).

I'd generally recommend avoiding Reflection, since it is the same size as all other X S class ships, but it has several hundred extra people on it.

Sillouhette may be my recommendation as it is S class, and has the lawn club grille etc. on the upper deck, instead of just a glass blowing show. Extra dining opportunities.

I would recommend Aqua Class - you get a balcony cabin, the Blu restaurant and Persian Gardens Spa access, both of which are great.

A Sky Suite will probably be (nearly) twice the price of a basic balcony cabin, only you can determine if it is worth the difference.

Can you tell us why you are leaving RCI?

Also, what is most important to you on a ship? (e.g. food, entertainment, cabin size, service, itinerary, etc)

Edited by Nachosdelux

For seven nights I would do the summit in an Aqua class AFT facing cabin. Spend a few extra days in san juan and it will be perfect.

I am a huge fan of concierge class on Celebrity. I have never cruised in aqua or a suite, but concierge has nice perks that made my cruises feel special. The priority embarkation came in handy, as did the welcome bottle of Sparkling wine, and the priority reservations in the MDR. I have always enjoyed the Celebrity experience so I think you will enjoy any cabin you choose. Welcome to Celebrity and enjoy you cruise!

We are doing a British Isles cruise this summer onboard the Silhouette and have booked C1 aft facing Concierge class cabin. Looking forward to this cabin as well as the many beautiful ports including a overnight in Edinburgh. Thanks for the info.

Not sure why you are "fed up" with RCI, but having sailed on both, IMHO there is little difference except that Celebrity has a somewhat more mature clientele and less bells and whistles (and announcements and activities). If you are looking for an appreciable upgrade from RCI in terms of food or service, I am afraid you may be disappointed. If you are seeking peace and quiet (and fewer children), you may be happy. Just my 2 cents....

OP -- we're former RC'ers, too -- hope you will like X. The closest equivalent cabin to an RC junior suite will probably be an X skysuite. Like the JS, it has more space (cabin and balcony), as well as a tub in the bathroom. Although the skysuites have adequate storage, you'll probably miss the JS's walk-in closet (I do).

Just a little curious about why you're "fed up" with RC? We still like RC, but they were becoming more family-oriented, and we don't travel with kids. At one point, I had to ask myself whether I really needed a ship with Shrek and a flow-rider on it. Back when we left RC, they still allowed balcony smoking -- glad to hear that has changed.

Anyhow -- welcome to X! :cool:

Eclipse was to get them during its dryock, but there is a thread running that the conversion is not happening (Cellar Masters became Gastro Bar on Equinox, and a non-used kiosk became Slush by the pool).

I'd generally recommend avoiding Reflection, since it is the same size as all other X S class ships, but it has several hundred extra people on it.

Sillouhette may be my recommendation as it is S class, and has the lawn club grille etc. on the upper deck, instead of just a glass blowing show. Extra dining opportunities.

Reflection is 4000 tons larger than the other ships and carries about 160 passengers more than the others.

Just to clarify, Aqua Class Suites are only on the Reflection and are being renamed as sky suites. Aqua Class Cabins are on all the ships except Century and are NOT suites. In the pecking order they are between Concierge and the suites. They have their own restaurant Blu which only AQ cabins and suites are able to use. I am not a fan of Concierge as most of the perks are minimal or available to all classes. The only advantage to Concierge in my opinion is some better location cabins on the M class ships.

Aqua Class gets all the Concierge perks plus the AQ perks including BLU.

I agree with cle-guy. We loved Silhouette. We had a 1A cabin with a huge balcony. We mostly book AQ class because we really enjoy BLU (the dining room for that class). However, Silhouette was a last minute booking and we ate in the dining room using Select Dining (eat when you want to, no set table every night). If you do choose Silhouette, don't miss the Lawn Club Grill. i think you will enjoy Celebrity.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative, but am curious about the nice perks you mention as many (including myself) feel they are of little value. Often the priority embarkation line is longer than the regular line in our experience. The wine is nice if you like it and don't have a liquor package. I am not clear how the priority reservations in the MDR would even work? We have sailed CC several times (we will book it on S class if prices are similar and we like the location better) and have never had any luck getting a better table (perhaps this refers to Select dining? we do standard). Are there other things you like that perhaps I am not remembering?

On M class, the room size difference compared to standard balcony makes it worth it. Of course, if 1-2-3 perks are better for Concierge then that of course can make a big difference. Again, not arguing, I was just honestly surprised at your enthusiasm and wanted to hear more.

I actually wrote " I think" before the statement !

Thats not a lot of space for a 160 passengers added, does the Reflection feel more crowded?

We were on Reflection last Easter and it did not feel crowded anywhere but in the gym on the first overcast day lol.... Just hit the jogging track instead... It seems to be laid out very well so you don't notice the extra people...

We were on a sold out cruise, Rome to Rome, Greek Isles cruise late June of 2013---The ship never felt over crowded-- we were aqua class mid ship--never had to wait at any of the eating establishments. It was the best cruise we had ever taken!

Thats not a lot of space for a 160 passengers added, does the Reflection feel more crowded?

Not that I ever noticed and I've been on a lot of Celebrity cruises. Been on every ship in the fleet multiple times.

Edited by Ma Bell

As much as you are a fan, I am a nonfan. I have sailed in CC cabins several times, and on S class ships I don't see any value, with the possible exception of extra points toward Elite status.

Priority embarkation is mostly moot since often the regular lines are shorter. In any case I have never waited more than 5 minutes in any line to checkin. The bottle of bubbly is worth $28; the hors d'oeuvres are often terrible, and in any case who needs more food? The fresh fruit can be picked up at any time at the buffet. I understand the 'fresh flowers' which are just a few little stems have been discontinued. The is no such thing that any of us have ever been able to find as 'priority 'MDR seating'. The binoculars are useless, and we always bring our own umbrellas for before and after the cruise.

The standard balcony cabins are identical in every way on S class and I can see no reason to pay any more than I need to.

As for the OP, who stated that they like dining in the MDR, there is no point in booking Aqua since the only advantage is Blu.

So, to the OP, since you asked for recommendations, I would vote for an S class ship with a midship balcony cabin. Categories 2C and 2D are partially obstructed, but the only difference between 2B, 2A, 1C, and 1B is location, and the 1As have extra large balconies.

You may want to choose a Sky Suite, which are 50% larger than the balcony cabins, but be sure not to get one under the buffet area since many people have complained of excess noise.

On M class ships, the CC cabins are 15% larger, and may be worth a small additional charge.

For the record, Reflection is the largest of the S-class ships, both in length and width, and also has one more deck than her sister ships. So the extra number of passengers she carries does not make her more crowded. Reflection is also the Flagship of the X fleet. Dining opportunities are the same on the Reflection and the Silhouette.

For the record, Reflection is the largest of the S-class ships, both in length and width, and also has one more deck than her sister ships. So the extra number of passengers she carries does not make her more crowded. Reflection is also the Flagship of the X fleet. Dining opportunities are the same on the Reflection and the Silhouette.

Yes she is bigger then the rest. She is 7 feet longer than Eclipse, and 2 feet wider than Eclipse. The extra 7 feet in length and 2 feet in width does nothing so far as adding cabins. It boils down to an extra 14 sq. ft. per deck. These extra measurements seem "immaterial" to me considering the ship is 1047 feet long.

Both Reflection and Eclipse have 16 decks (will assume all S class do), it's just that decks 12-16 have been reconfigured in order to add cabins within those decks on Reflection. The pools have been moved 1 deck up on Reflection, and deck 15 on Reflection is a complete deck, whereas on Eclipse, it's a partial deck forward, open mid, and partial aft.

As to crowding, They didn't add any additional public space, seating space in restaurants etc. They removed the nightclub Quasar to make it conference space. 1/3 of Reflections' Sky Lounge is missing as it is part of the Reflection Suite. That pubic spaces remained the same size (smaller with loss of Quasar versus Sillie) there is certainly less space per passenger than other S-class ships, as a practical matter, even though the ship is indeed a little larger.

Some even post in other threads the pool is physically smaller, and that they experience dramatic waits for BLU and other things on Reflection versus other ships. So it's a bit odd in this thread all of a sudden everyone doesn't think reflection is crowded at all.

7 day Reflection in 2013, 11 day Equinox 2014, back for the 10 day on Equinox this Nov. Reflection is our favorite ship experience in 25 yrs.

I too would like to know what has turned you sour on RCCL? We are a true Emerald, but Get Diamond perks due to being Elite w/Celebrity.

We find Celebrity is a 'classie' RCCL. The Martini Bar has no match on a Freedom or Voyager class ship. Tho Vintages is a good wine bar, CellarMaster on Reflection is a close second, yet the new GastroBar on Equinox has a better feel to sit and chat with friends than both of the others.

The Sunset Bar aft on both, and one deck down on Equinox, the Oceanview Bar have no match on any of the 4 classes of ships we have sailed on RCCL.

Celebrity is like a relaxing day at a country club, where RCCL is like a day at 6 Flags. So it all depends what you like to do, or not do!

We rate the overall food on Celebrity above RCCL, but Chops is one of our favorite dinner venues. We book a cabin on the angle of the hump on both, but really liked the space in our JS aft on the Freedom. Hated that the view was blocked by the structure of the frame of the ship.

Mariner '07 & Freedom '11 both sailings had over 4000 passengers and we felt like sardines. Did not feel that way on Reflection or Equinox.

Sailed in a C2 deck 9, and a standard veranda 1A deck 8, last 2 years, and are booked in an Aqua 2 this yr. All 3 cabins are the same 194 sq ft. Aqua gets us the private dinning room, Blu, and no charge to go to the Persian Garden relaxation room. I see no value in paying over $100 more pp for any balcony over the standard. Suites are a different story, we have not booked one on Celebrity, but the higher end one's have more 'Private' perks now, but for our $$ we will use it to book another cruise.

Hope I added some insight,

EW