Bringing alcohol on board?

chloemonkey

I am posting this on behalf of friends who are booked on Princess as I do not know Princesse's policies....so please do not attack me!

They are wanting to take scotch on board.....as he has a very special brand/quality of scotch that he enjoys......nothing that is offered on board the ship......and is questioning me as to why he could not just "hide" it in mouth wash bottles, etc.......

So my question is, can you even take hard alcohol on board? Even if you are willing to pay a charge? They have asked my help and I am just trying to get them some answers. We have not sailed Princess for years now....so I am not well versed in their current policies regarding alcohol.

Thanks for any input/advice as these are "dear" friends....and I am only trying to help out!

I am posting this on behalf of friends who are booked on Princess as I do not know Princesse's policies....so please do not attack me!

They are wanting to take scotch on board.....as he has a very special brand/quality of scotch that he enjoys......nothing that is offered on board the ship......and is questioning me as to why he could not just "hide" it in mouth wash bottles, etc.......

So my question is, can you even take hard alcohol on board? Even if you are willing to pay a charge? They have asked my help and I am just trying to get them some answers. We have not sailed Princess for years now....so I am not well versed in their current policies regarding alcohol.

Thanks for any input/advice as these are "dear" friends....and I am only trying to help out!

No alcohol allowed, it will be confiscated and destroyed. :cool:

As others have posted, distilled alcohol will be confiscated if they find it in your bags. Bottles are somewhat easy to spot in a checked bag so the chances are good they will find it. Wine is allowed with the first 750 ml bottle per person allowed and all others will be charged $15/bottle. You can bring on as much wine as you want. Unfortunately this does not extend to beer which also is not allowed. Now to start a firestorm after putting on my fire retardant suit, check out this website rumrunnerflasks.com. They are used a lot on many different cruise lines.

As posted IF they fine a bottle in your luggage it will be taken BUT this mostly happens to people who just pack the bottle thinking they won't spot it. Since they've began looking harder now that they only allow 1 bottle of wine per person (;);)) without having to pay $15 per bottle over that your best bet is to disguise it in another container that looks more innocent..... like a Rumrunner or other type of plastic bottle.

Scotch is a pretty close color to original Listerine, so if he really wanted he could put it in that bottle. However, a bottle of Scotch is around 700 ml, and trying to bring on 700 ml of mouthwash is going to stand out. Especially when every one of those full mouthwash bottles just happens to have the seal broken.

Worst thing that can happen is they take it, so if he's adamant why not let him try? But if it's expensive Scotch he needs to understand the risk.

I know your friend enjoys a particular brand the ship doesn't carry -- and I know this isn't what you asked -- but here are my thoughts.

Princess is the only cruise line I've found that keeps its hard liquor prices somewhat reasonable. Why not just tough it out and survive on Johnnie Walker Red for the week? You can get a 375ml bottle for $24, according to the Princess site. That's roughly twice what you might pay in your local liquor store, but it's about half what other cruise lines charge. And you can order it in advance or via room service once on board.

I've sneaked a bit of hooch aboard in the past, but only on cruise lines that practically dare you to by charging $100 for a 750ml bottle. Now that I've become a genuine senior citizen at 65, I'm more inclined to play by the rules and just accept that when I chose a cruise I accepted their conditions. So with Princess I can follow the rules and not get robbed. And I can show my appreciation for them not soaking a captive clientele.

Jim

No, it is against their policy. This is better than putting it in a mouthwash bottle.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com

I know your friend enjoys a particular brand the ship doesn't carry -- and I know this isn't what you asked -- but here are my thoughts.

Princess is the only cruise line I've found that keeps its hard liquor prices somewhat reasonable. Why not just tough it out and survive on Johnnie Walker Red for the week? You can get a 375ml bottle for $24, according to the Princess site. That's roughly twice what you might pay in your local liquor store, but it's about half what other cruise lines charge. And you can order it in advance or via room service once on board.

I've sneaked a bit of hooch aboard in the past, but only on cruise lines that practically dare you to by charging $100 for a 750ml bottle. Now that I've become a genuine senior citizen at 65, I'm more inclined to play by the rules and just accept that when I chose a cruise I accepted their conditions. So with Princess I can follow the rules and not get robbed. And I can show my appreciation for them not soaking a captive clientele.

Jim

GAH!!! Johnny Walker Red is a horrible scotch. It might be OK if you are mixing it with something but who wants to mix scotch? :eek:

I'm not suggesting "alternative" methods of having the desired scotch but one can surely purchase (at the bars) a vastly better scotch than JW Red or the even worse Cutty Sark that is offered for in-room consumption.

Scotch drinkers don't want crap scotch. I agree that it might very well be a bad idea to attempt to smuggle the desired brand onboard but one could easily get in the bars by purchasing Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, or Glenkinchie 12.

Hi all,

Maybe one of you can answer this question for me....I am going from the Regal to the Royal and will have about 16 of the little Vodka and Gin bottles from the Regal bar set up....I want to take them home for my bar, and since they are from Princess, will they let me take them on the Royal?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

But you CAN take alcohol onboard and have them hold it for you until the end of the cruise which should meet your needs with the minibar mini bottles.

Terry

Embarkation it gets tossed. (terminal personnel not Princess employees)

Port stops they hold it.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi all,

Maybe one of you can answer this question for me....I am going from the Regal to the Royal and will have about 16 of the little Vodka and Gin bottles from the Regal bar set up....I want to take them home for my bar, and since they are from Princess, will they let me take them on the Royal?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

We faced this same issue when we moved from 8 cruises on the Pacific Princess to the Grand Princess the next day. We finally decided to put the mini bottles in two ziplocs in a checked bag. If it was confiscated, que sera, sera. Obviously we hadn't drunk it over the previous 96 days. It wasn't noticed. We added to it and brought it all home where it is stored in the kitchen island, most likely to remain there until we move.

I would so much prefer drink coupons good for just one cruise to the minibars!!

Princess watches these boards as all the other cruise lines watch theirs. That is why they check so hard and know what to look for. Much safer and less stressful to just play by the rules. Princess is a great cruise line. Check to see what scotch they offer.

Princess watches these boards as all the other cruise lines watch theirs. That is why they check so hard and know what to look for. Much safer and less stressful to just play by the rules. Princess is a great cruise line. Check to see what scotch they offer.

Princess knows all the "common" tricks to smuggle alcohol on their ships and they really don't check all that thoroughly. If they even did clamp down & thoroughly check every item it would take all afternoon to board and we all know that will never fly. ;)

If they even did clamp down & thoroughly check every item it would take all afternoon to board and we all know that will never fly. ;)

Carnival seem to be very thorough -- they carefully check bottle

safety seals to make sure you haven't refilled them. Their ships

seem to sail on time.

Princess treats their guests with a little more respect, but I'm sure

after enough people cheat them, they will rethink that.

I have a dear friend who told me that he enjoys Kettle One in a empty water bottle whenever he cruises. Doesn't matter to me since I don't drink!