viking spirit cancelled

bobnpaml

We, too, were to be on the Viking Spirit Paris to Normandy tour this week. We are really bummed that the trip was cancelled due to the Spirit being in an "accident". Like many others, we have been unable to find anything about the "accident". And--we are further bummed that in order to re-book this tour this year we would have to ante up another $4,000.00 due to pricing for the other tours available during 2015. Not happening!!! Needless to say, the $500.00 voucher won't cover THAT!! In addition, we are having some difficulty dealing with getting our refund. We changed credit cards earlier this year, so our refund CANNOT be put back on a non-existent credit card account and Viking has not yet agreed to send us a check. Anyone out there ever had this issue with them and success in resolving it? While we have heard many, many good things about Viking, we have a bad taste in our mouths right now! Like some others, Normandy was a big draw for us with this trip. We are now looking into other options in order to make our dream come true this year without paying an additional $4,000.00!!!!

Would that be another $4000 on Viking, or are you looking at another cruise line? I'd think Viking should move heaven and earth to get the passengers that booked this cruise onto another one of their ships this summer.

I know a few other lines are offering sale prices on their Normandy trips (I recall Avalon and Uniworld are), but I don't know how those prices would compare to what you planned to spend on your Viking cruise.

We were on the Viking Spirit the morning it collided with the Viking Neptune. It was foggy and we were going too fast for the conditions. After the collision the boat didn't slow down, we just kept on going as if nothing happened. The crew never personally checked on the welfare of the passengers and only addressed the incident the following evening before dinner. The boat docked at Rouen where it was inspected by the French authorities and it was deemed unsafe for further travel. We proceeded to bus to all of the tour sites. That meant hours on the bus, with little time to site see or shop. We were transported to Paris for our last night.(packing and unpacking). The Cruise Director tried hard but the whole thing was handled poorly and as they say the "cover up was worse than the crime". I didn't signup for a bus tour of France but that is what we got.

Thank you for clearing up the "accident" for me. I am so very sorry that your cruise ending in such a fashion and handled to poorly by Viking River Cruises. The notification we received was very curt and the representative that called sounded like he could care less. Giving very little useful information. I know for a fact that the voucher we receive will NOT EVER be used.

Again my gratitude for sharing your experience. Pam

Thank you for reporting back on this. I feel sorry for the passengers who have had to go through the shock and disappointment.

According to the marinetraffic website, as of lunchtime German time today, the Viking Spirit is still in Rouen. It is off the Seine and in the shipyard/dock just west of Rouen town centre. Still being held by the authorities or being repaired, I wonder???

Does not look good to me.

notamermaid

Thank you for clearing up the "accident" for me. I am so very sorry that your cruise ending in such a fashion and handled to poorly by Viking River Cruises. The notification we received was very curt and the representative that called sounded like he could care less. Giving very little useful information. I know for a fact that the voucher we receive will NOT EVER be used.

Again my gratitude for sharing your experience. Pam

I hope a poster who is good with the search engine can find past posts in which a Viking Customer Service rep responds directly on the Cruise Critic thread. That rep leaves a email address. Hopefully you can email that person directly so you can resolve the issue. This is the best part of Cruise Critic, we are a Community, and we help each other. If your issue is not resolved fairly, then we will let other potential customers know about Vikings horrible customer relations and direct them to this thread. Good Luck.

We were on the Viking Spirit the morning it collided with the Viking Neptune. It was foggy and we were going too fast for the conditions. After the collision the boat didn't slow down, we just kept on going as if nothing happened. The crew never personally checked on the welfare of the passengers and only addressed the incident the following evening before dinner. The boat docked at Rouen where it was inspected by the French authorities and it was deemed unsafe for further travel. We proceeded to bus to all of the tour sites. That meant hours on the bus, with little time to site see or shop. We were transported to Paris for our last night.(packing and unpacking). The Cruise Director tried hard but the whole thing was handled poorly and as they say the "cover up was worse than the crime". I didn't signup for a bus tour of France but that is what we got.

Edward- Were you offered any compensation for your cruise turning into a bus tour?

I understand that Viking is a big company, and that the left hand doesn't always know what the right is doing...but your experience, and that of bobnpami, reflects very poorly on their image. Your post here, and the stories you will tell your friends will undo tons of advertising dollars. Very shortsighted on their part...you have 12 new longboats to fill, don't forget customer service!

the cruise director made a vague reference that Viking would be contacting the passengers upon our return. The inference was that Viking would "make it right". About 2/3 of the cruise was affected, anything short of 33% refund will not satisfy me. I am not interested in a credit on a future cruise. I will keep interested parties posted as to our progress.

You all might be interested to know that the captain never personally addressed or apologized for the collision. Viking left all of the communication in the hands of the cruise director. It was a very strange way to handle PR and customer relations.

thanks for all who were able to explain the accident. sorry for those who suffered inconvenience and loss over that event. not a satisfactory outcome in terms of responses so far from the company, hope that improves.

as others have said customer service is important and valued by most. good luck to all.

I mentioned what happened to this ship to my DH, and that passengers weren't told until the next day. I was VERY surprised that his response was, "So? Boats hit stuff all the time--why would they say anything, as long as they were still sailing?" I'm guessing that attitude would be in the minority!

I mentioned what happened to this ship to my DH, and that passengers weren't told until the next day. I was VERY surprised that his response was, "So? Boats hit stuff all the time--why would they say anything, as long as they were still sailing?" I'm guessing that attitude would be in the minority!

Boats don't hit another boat so they are each out of commission.

I hope a poster who is good with the search engine can find past posts in which a Viking Customer Service rep responds directly on the Cruise Critic thread. That rep leaves a email address. Hopefully you can email that person directly so you can resolve the issue. This is the best part of Cruise Critic, we are a Community, and we help each other. If your issue is not resolved fairly, then we will let other potential customers know about Vikings horrible customer relations and direct them to this thread. Good Luck.

A quick search turned up this post. I see Viking responded with an email address. Hope it helps and I am very sorry for all your problems. I hope the link will work for you!

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089862

My husband and I just returned from the Paris-Normandy roundtrip itinerary on Uniworld. As we were "floating" down the Seine from Paris to Les Andelys, we were passed by the Neptune. It was early morning, we were in our cabin, getting ready for breakfast, but the Neptune had a very visible "dent" in its side, and 4 passenger cabin door/window units had been shattered, with only the glass around the periphery remaining. One on each level, to each side of the "dent". The Neptune docked in Les Andelys, a short while after we did. On of the passengers from our ship asked a Viking employee what had happened, and was told that they were struck by "a barge" in the fog. According to him, there were no injuries. I can't imagine being one of the passengers in one of those 4 cabins. The broken windows/doors were replaced In Les Andelys, and they set sail prior to us.

I only wish I had my camera out when it floated by, because the damage was impressive, from a visual standpoint.

Robin

Received an e-mail from AA today. Looks like they are going to refund the upgrade fees. But will not get excited until we see the check and it is cashed.

This whole experience has been an eye opener. Will never use Viking's voucher nor ever recommended them to anyone...

Thank you to everyone that took an interest and helped explain the full extent of Viking's total fault in this accident. That is exactly why Cruise Critic is such a help to all our fellow cruisers. Pam

We have had further dialogue with Viking, a very pleasant person in their customer service department, but no resolution yet. I will keep interest parties updated. I agree Cruise Critic gives travelers a voice that we wouldn't have otherwise.

Hello,

and the Viking Spirit is still in Rouen harbour, off the Seine. Her next sailing is due to start in Paris tomorrow, i.e. she should be ready at Paris for embarkation for the next passengers...

notamermaid

I would have thought that Viking would have wanted to resolve the issue with their patrons as fast as possible to quell the disappointing ending to the "Heart of Normandy" cruise . I am still waiting patiently for them to bring this episode to a mutually agreeable conclusion. My patience has an expiration date.

I would have thought that Viking would have wanted to resolve the issue with their patrons as fast as possible to quell the disappointing ending to the "Heart of Normandy" cruise . I am still waiting patiently for them to bring this episode to a mutually agreeable conclusion. My patience has an expiration date.

Have you contacted Viking? Past events absolutely shows that "squeakiest " wheel gets the best results.

Thinking back to the Europe Flood disaster of a couple years ago.

Received an e-mail from AA today. Looks like they are going to refund the upgrade fees. But will not get excited until we see the check and it is cashed.

This whole experience has been an eye opener. Will never use Viking's voucher nor ever recommended them to anyone...

Thank you to everyone that took an interest and helped explain the full extent of Viking's total fault in this accident. That is exactly why Cruise Critic is such a help to all our fellow cruisers. Pam

I don't know if this was to be your first river cruise or not, but if so I hope you give river cruising another try sometime in the future (Totally understanding that Viking has left a bitter taste, but there are other lines out there).

The good news is that you leave in a couple days to the glorious Caribbean! Enjoy your suite and enjoy spending quality time with your husband. Still pampering after 41 years? He's a keeper.:)

Update: the AA refund has been posted to our credit cards. Came thru a lot quicker than Viking. That one is suppose to be here by end of next year. Who would have thought that.

Yes we will look at Paris by river cruise again. Just will do more background on the different lines before we choose.

EdwardM: I would be giving Viking a call at least once a day. Oh wait a minute that is exactly what we did. So call, call, call.

I have been truly blessed in my life. And I am very thankful.