RCCL vs Carnival

CJHAN

My wife and I where looking to book a cruise (The choice at this point is already made) Between the RC Navigator and Carnival Magic. They have the exact same Itinerary we looked at the same cabin type but the RCCL was $1000 more. My question is this. Is RCCL worth that extra money and why? I know this is going to be all about preference but Never having sailed on RC I would like to know and maybe give it a shot at some point.

RCCL has very pretty ships, but in my experience, not $1000 worth. I want to try Navigator as well, but I've got to get a better price on it. CCL cabins are a bit larger, but we've had no storage problems on RC. We always have robes on CCL, RC I think you have to have a certain level of cabin to get a robe. I think the food is pretty much the same on both lines. Magic does not have an adult only pool, but does have a really nice serenity area. I find the service to be good on both lines as well.

I have a cousin who, for years, tried to tell us that RCCL was better than sliced bread. But every time we priced them, they were so much more. And this was before they had a policy of not discounting fares, willing on pricing their cruises on what they offered.

It wasn't till we decided years later to cruise them for an itinerary that wasn't offered by CCL. First thing that hit us was the ship itself. Nothing we had ever sailed in CCL EVEN CAME close.

We also quickly noticed that we were sailing with others that were willing to pay a premium for that experience. Therefore it was a different feel.

At the time, many things were in par between the two lines, until thing started to slowly disappear from Carnival, yet RCCL continued to excel in service, entertainment, and quality of food.

So it comes down to wanting to buy up to a RCCL experience, or save money and go Carnival. The choice is yours. If either makes you happy, go with your gut. We did, and never regretted it. In fact, it opened up a whole new bunch of ships and itineraries to choose from.

RCCL has very pretty ships, but in my experience, not $1000 worth. I want to try Navigator as well, but I've got to get a better price on it. CCL cabins are a bit larger, but we've had no storage problems on RC. ll.

That wasn't true for us. All D cabins we have had are the same 185 sqft. as Carnival.

Are there smaller cabins? Yes, if that's what you choose.

If you have $1000 more go for it. I been on Royal before it is a nice cruise line. But think about all you can do with $1000 you can buy drinks you can save money for your next trip. And when you get home you do not have to worry about the bills that comes from the trip. When I think about that $1000 I would go with carnival. I hope this helps.

We would chose to go Carnival, as you have, for these ships. Navigator was one of our least favorite ships. The atmosphere aboard, which may have changed, was less friendly than other ships we have cruised. This was even at Diamond level. The price difference is substantial, for the identical itinerary.

We have cruised on Dream, a sister ship. These have been memorable for the (wait for it) FUN. We were treated very well, by crew and officers. We need to do Magic next year!

So, good call! And when you do try Navigator, stay out of The Dungeon! Creepy:eek:

I don't think RCCL is worth the extra $1000. I sailed them twice, and honestly, not worth the extra money. The ships RC have are beautiful inside and out, but I didn't think the food was that good or the service. Plus no 24 hour ice cream on rcl and I love a late night ice cream lol

From my experience' date=' no way is RCCL worth the extra money. If they were priced the same I'd say give them a shot. But I wouldn't spend a penny more to sail Royal.[/quote']

Agreed! The one and only reason that we have never sailed RCCL is that they are always at least $1000 more that Carnival(usually more). I am sure we would enjoy RCCL, but not for that much extra money.

I have sailed both CCL and RCL. I absolutely have loved every cruise with both lines. That said, my expectations are very realistic. RCL does have a different feel to it, and I like their entertainment and bar areas better than CCL. I found that the food on both are about the same. I don't know if I would like RCL enough to pay $1000 more for the same type ship and same itinerary though.

I was in the same boat (no pun intended ) with a decision between the Dream and the Freedom of the seas . But at the time they were similar in price... So we took the Freedom. It was a beautiful ship, I cannot deny that, but cruise itself was a disappointment. The staff was not as friendly, it was 'stuffy', they want money for everything. Just trying to get a drink of anything besides water was difficult unless you wanted to pay for it. Same for snacks. They had free ones but not nearly as many. And...... No 24 hr ice cream :eek:

I loved the ship! But I still like carnival better.

I will probably try them again one day but only if the price is very close. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Edited by dogchopper

My wife and I where looking to book a cruise (The choice at this point is already made) Between the RC Navigator and Carnival Magic. They have the exact same Itinerary we looked at the same cabin type but the RCCL was $1000 more. My question is this. Is RCCL worth that extra money and why? I know this is going to be all about preference but Never having sailed on RC I would like to know and maybe give it a shot at some point.

Magic for sure. Royal has a great product, as does Carnival, but no way worth $1000 extra. These lines are my 2 favorites. Carnival has a bit better food in the MDR, and Royal has slightly more polished service. Slightly, but nothing real different from Carnival's.

Never been on Carnival's Dream class, but I hear mostly good things about Magic and the other 2 Dream class sister ships. On my short list to try.

I have been on Adventure of the Seas, sister to Navigator. Out of 11 cruises that was my favorite ship. Still not worth the extra money, maybe $100 but not $1000. I like Royal, right up there with Carnival, but I would say wait for more of a bargain to try Royal.

A good time to find great deals is the 2-3 weeks immediately following Thanksgiving on all the major lines. A lot of capacity has been brought back to the US and demand is not high during that time frame, late Nov through mid Dec.

Either way you will enjoy.

The other option is to change accommodation type or sail date, just to get to experience RCCL. This was not a decision maker in the OPs requirement however.

Good suggestion if they are desperate and really want to try Royal. I would still go with the cheaper cruise comparing similar room types, which I assume they doing.

My NYE Breeze cruise is drastically cheaper for the balcony we booked vs. Royal's balconies. Royal is nearly double the price!:eek:

If your choice is heavily based on the $, I think you need to go with whatever you feel is best for you. So much is subjective. We've not been on the Magic, but sailed other Carnival ships and had a very nice experience. I think it's a good idea to try different lines and we've done that. Right now we are getting ready to try Celebrity. However, we basically shop the 'sales'. Our schedules are flexible, so many times we can book last minute and get a good rate regardless. That being said, I have to say our favorite line is RCCI. We've never had a problem with the food, service, staff, etc. For us it's always excelled. We haven't done the Navigator, but have been on a few of her sister ships as well as both the Freedom and Oasis classes and always been happy. I agree with the OP that said, 'go with your gut' and what you think will work for you. It's a cruise ... have a good time and Happy Sailing! :) Sorry if I wasn't much help!

If your choice is heavily based on the $, I think you need to go with whatever you feel is best for you. So much is subjective. We've not been on the Magic, but sailed other Carnival ships and had a very nice experience. I think it's a good idea to try different lines and we've done that. Right now we are getting ready to try Celebrity. However, we basically shop the 'sales'. Our schedules are flexible, so many times we can book last minute and get a good rate regardless. That being said, I have to say our favorite line is RCCI. We've never had a problem with the food, service, staff, etc. For us it's always excelled. We haven't done the Navigator, but have been on a few of her sister ships as well as both the Freedom and Oasis classes and always been happy. I agree with the OP that said, 'go with your gut' and what you think will work for you. It's a cruise ... have a good time and Happy Sailing! :) Sorry if I wasn't much help!

I wish I could take advantage of these 'sales', maybe one day. We can only sail over Christmas/NYE, spring break and summer(which we never do). So prices for us are high and Carnival always wins out in that department.

$1000 is a big difference for us. so i would probably choose carnival.

It would also depend where each was leaving from and cost of airfare. that could even them out depending on air costs

I would also double check the times in port. Sometimes a ship is barely in port and you can't do much.

I'm not a chino's and polo kinda guy. I like to have fun. Not much impresses me anyway. Saving a $1000 bones wouldn't even be a question as to which, unless it was between the the Navigator and the Fantasy. The Dream class ships are gorgeous.

Well we are going on our first RCCL cruise next summer.

the price difference was $315 for fairly similar itineraries within a few weeks of each other. the choice was between Oasis of the Seas and Carnival Glory.

Seemed like a no brainer.

Well we are going on our first RCCL cruise next summer.

the price difference was $315 for fairly similar itineraries within a few weeks of each other. the choice was between Oasis of the Seas and Carnival Glory.

Seemed like a no brainer.

Yes, I would choose Oasis over Glory for just that price difference for sure. I keep watching for a deal on Oasis or Allure, as I want to experience one of those ships. So far they are not worth the difference, but when the time is right it will happen.

I was just debating between the two myself a month ago, and the Navigator ended up being cheaper than Carnival this close in... in fact got a D1 Balcony for less than $1000 total for two.

I love CCL, I also love RCI.. but for different reasons, and none of those reasons would ever cause me to pay $1000 more for the same itinerary, same type of cabin, etc.

Enjoy your cruise.

I say save the $1000 and go Carnival. If the RCI ship in question was the Oasis or Allure I'd say spend the extra $1000.

Bill