First Time, Last Time, NEVER AGAIN!

Just a note about the St Kitts scenic rail trip. My husband and I did this excursion and enjoyed it. You don't need to worry about rushing on board and finding a seat either inside or on top. You will be divided into groups and assigned a rail car that will accommodate everyone on that car both inside and on top.

However, if you are prone to motion sickness, this is definitely not the excursion for you. The track is a narrow gauge, the rail cars are tall, and the train will sway and bump along.

Information about shopping in each port will be given on board during the port talk for each destination. The talk will be listed in the daily planner.

Stressing about which dock the ship will be at is also pointless. The ship can be assigned another dock by the port master or in St Thomas, be told to anchor in the bay and use tenders. The ship's literary can be altered because of weather or other factors or the port missed all together,

This uncertainty is a part of cruising and even if you have cruise 10 times previously without any changes, the more you cruise , the greater the chances are that a itinerary or docking change will occur. If this possibility causes too much stress, cruising is not for you.

The RCI web site does give guidance about booking more then one excursion in a day (I can't remember the time they recommend between excursions). Make sure you are looking at the specific excursions available for your sailing. Not all excursions are available for all sailing and this is not unusual.

And remember, excursions are delayed in starting and run over. If you take a chance in booking more then one excursion in a day, be prepared not to make the second one and know that there may not be a refund available for the missed excursion.

I am surprised you rave about the scenic railway tour. We were seriously contemplating this for our IOS cruise in September and then I read mostly awful comments on trip advisor about this tour. I have since decided to go on a van tour for 4 hours.

As I said different things for different folks. A van tour is probably fine also, but you won't see the areas that the train does and most likely you won't have entertainment with the van. Likely you can not get up and walk around in the van either. However I watch Trip Advisor and have reviewed a lot of things on there, but I found that even on that site not everyone likes the same thing. That is what keeps a lot of different things in business I guess.

We enjoyed the train that is all I can say.

Yes I understand that was just looking for a general idea as I've not been able to find this information on the website.

This doesn't show up as an option under dining for me. RCI can't explain why but says they will get back to me on it but didn't offer to book anything said it might be full but was not sure waiting for them to call back.

Cool thanks

Nothing is listed for onboard activities when I look. Again asked RCI who've said they are looking into it and would call back.

I assume "Cruise Compass" is the dailing read you get every morning.

Cruise Compass is the daily "calendar" that your cabin attendant puts in your cabin each evening while he/she is performing the evening services. It tells you the list of dining times, activities, ship arrival and departure, etc for the next day.

I posted a link earlier in this thread to the Compasses for this run from Dec 2014. Of course, subject to change, but they will give you an "idea" of what to expect.

Doesn't Royal have Certified Vacation Planner on their site??? I am pretty sure I have seen that.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is just their fancy "title" for sales person. I don't think they have truly been "certified" by anyone.

It does amaze me that corporations don't train their employees better these days. By the same logic, I am surprised that many "travel agents" are not more knowledgeable about the products they sell. I am not "knocking" anyone. Just making an observation! We LOVE our TA! She is fantabulous!!!!! However, we had the opportunity to be on a ship late last year with a very large group of TAs. While I am sure some of them were experienced and knowledgeable, we were very surprised at the limited knowledge the majority of them had about the ship they were on!!!!!! You would think being in the industry they would have done more research about the ship they were going on and learn its future itineraries, etc in order to better serve their clients. Nope....we were telling them about features of the ship and what the future itineraries were, etc.

Edited by skiiergirl

I've never thought to ever contact RCL for my excursions. Once I book a cruise, I try to find everything possible about the ports I'll be visiting, either on Cruise Critic, or googling it. There are so many posts on the different ports and people have spent time posting trip reviews and giving information on this site to help everyone. I'd consider checking out ones that have actually been on the excursions and the ships and read their reviews.

Here is a direct link to your Roll Call. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2037456..

For me, the whole fun of the cruise is the researching and planning.

Hope you have a great trip.

I agree. Once I have booked our cruise I use Cruise critic, TripAdvisor, & Google to choose our excursions.

Doesn't Royal have Certified Vacation Planner on their site??? I am pretty sure I have seen that.

I'm not sure where this is supposed to lead in relation to the OP's rant.

Is the expectation that every person who answers the phone be completely versed in every port?

Does each person on the phone have to have personally been to each possible port on each possible ship?

How intense is this knowledge? It came across like "Will I get out of the left door of the taxi or the right door? I NEED SPECIFICS, PERSON!"

How much lies on the traveler? Since this isn't 1985 where I have to drive to a TA, make an appointment to sit and spend 2 hours with them, have them call the cruise line, formulate my questions, drive back, sit down with the TA, go over my list of questions, wait for some answers, hope I understand them, book things based on this info, and finally go on vacation months later without a solid grasp of anything... how much effort is it to visit a site like CC or simply Google what you want to know or watch a few YouTube videos on these excursions or ships?

Most importantly, am I to understand that other cruise lines send all their phone agents to visit each port, take each excursion personally, visit my home and understand my personal idiosyncrasies to an acute level, and bathe me?

In the description on line, it shows the length of the excursion. When you go to book it the times will be shown, start and return.

To book 2 excursions in one port can be difficult. And, a heads up, the website will not let you book an excursion if there is a conflict.

I hope you get the answers you are seeking. But, really, calm down and go with the flow. If you board the ship with your current attitude, you will be miserable. And remember a little honey is better than vinegar.

I did wonder why 'never again' was written NEVER AGAIN! Do caps locks really make people sit up, go on red alert, panic, stop what they are doing etc etc? :eek:

Any how's I've done the scenic railway tour and it was lovely, I've done a 4 hour island tour and that was great too. Last Christmas I did Brimstone Hill, the batik place and a smaller island tour and that was great too. In 1996 I did two weeks at the hotel Jack Tarr on St Kitts and that was. . . . . . . Er not so great. It was okay but I'd rather do a two week cruise :D

Just about every "tour" you can find out info, and review from websites such as trip advisor. The worst place to get info would be from a sales person at the cruise line. You can print out a pdf book on your excursions, and take the time to research it yourself.

I have booked, my own cruise, own excursions, drinks, dinners and everything else on the RCCL website. It is annoying, but it does work.

I have never been on the phone for an hour waiting either.

Do people just blindly book and pay for things without knowing anything about it?

If it's cheap enough... Well... Yeah... :)

It might be a good experience... It might be a bad one... Either way, you'll probably remember it... :)

I figure that no matter what, it's got to be better than when I was at sea in the Navy... Of course, back then, we were actually getting PAID to be miserable...

So spoke to the resolution team member finally about the St. Kitts Scenic Rail Tour who spoke to the Excursion Directors to get the story on it.

The issue is that they will have 2 boats docked that day and only ever offer it to one boat never to both. Which I felt was pretty sucky but my guess is that they are trying to maximize total bookings and are not able to cordinate it between two ships so they only offer it on one. I could see if they split up 100 or whatever number of seats they have 50/50 between the ships they could end up with booked full from one ship with people wanting to go and then empty seats from the other. Just a guess. Still a crappy decision on their part. Now I'll have to find something else for that day.

As far as ST T, Havensight will be your dock. They only use Crown Bay for OA/AL because they won't fit over at Havensight.

As others have said, take a deep breath and calm down a little. Write out a list of detailed questions and post them here. You are going to get great answers / "opinions" which you will then have to determine yourself which to go with.

Perhaps you are speaking only of Royal Ships at St Thomas. However, I have seen other lines use Crown Bay for overflow. The first time we sailed Celebrity Solstice, we docked at Havensight. The second time we docked at Crown Bay. I actually enjoyed docking at Crown Bay, but it's a little further than the usual walk right into town.

I don't know about Royal ships. It very well may be that the Oasis and Allure use Crown Bay.

So spoke to the resolution team member finally about the St. Kitts Scenic Rail Tour who spoke to the Excursion Directors to get the story on it.

The issue is that they will have 2 boats docked that day and only ever offer it to one boat never to both. Which I felt was pretty sucky but my guess is that they are trying to maximize total bookings and are not able to cordinate it between two ships so they only offer it on one. I could see if they split up 100 or whatever number of seats they have 50/50 between the ships they could end up with booked full from one ship with people wanting to go and then empty seats from the other. Just a guess. Still a crappy decision on their part. Now I'll have to find something else for that day.

This is interesting. When we did the scenic railroad, there were groups there from other cruise lines and local hotels. At the end of the ride, the buses/vans were clearly marked with the cruise line and ship name or marked St Kitts' hotels.

This is interesting. When we did the scenic railroad, there were groups there from other cruise lines and local hotels. At the end of the ride, the buses/vans were clearly marked with the cruise line and ship name or marked St Kitts' hotels.

Yes I saw the same in 2013 when I went but this is specific to 2 Royal Caribbean boats at port at the same time.

Perhaps you are speaking only of Royal Ships at St Thomas. However, I have seen other lines use Crown Bay for overflow. The first time we sailed Celebrity Solstice, we docked at Havensight. The second time we docked at Crown Bay. I actually enjoyed docking at Crown Bay, but it's a little further than the usual walk right into town.

I don't know about Royal ships. It very well may be that the Oasis and Allure use Crown Bay.

Yes, sorry...should have clarified...I only meant RC. I don't keep up with other lines. Sorry! Should have clarified that I was indicating to OP that AD always docks at Havensight. I have never seen any RC ship (other than OA and AL) dock at Crown Bay. The other RC ships always dock at Havensight. (Probably shouldn't use the word "always" as I am sure there can be extenuating circumstances that might cause another RC ship to use Crown Bay if the need were to arise.)

Was totally worth it and would do it again but RCI can't tell me why it's not available.

We took the Scenic Rail Tour in February. Part way through the rail tour the engine blew and we had to get on buses to get back to the ship. If the tour is not available, the engine may not be fixed yet. It needs a special engine (from Romania?? I think) and it is a smaller engine than other trains use.

My hubby and I did the same ship and itinerary for our January 2013 honeymoon. The ports were wonderful and I reviewed them all on Trip Advisor (username BetsyNH, if you can search for them). In St. Thomas, we took a ferry to St. John, as we love pristine beaches and history. In Aruba, we did a pirate sailing/snorkeling trip and then a private tour of the Aruba Ostrich Farm, and in Curacao, we walked all around touring the UNESCO site and such. Each port has its own flavor.

Just keep breathing... I've never met a cruise I didn't enjoy. I'm sure you'll have a great time and may change your mind about RCCL in the future.

Ever thought of booking it on your own?

Excuse me, but I have never heard of someone so unhappy with a cruise line,

and with everyone here stopping by to try to give you a helping hand, and I'll have to check back, because it's been a day since I have read this blog, but have you thanked anyone here, and tried to follow their suggestions??

Cruise Critic is all about trying to help fellow members, and from skiiergirl, and going back, there have been some wonderful ideas, and should be a great deal of help to you.

I sincerely hope that you find the answers that you are looking for, in life.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick
verbage

Ever thought of booking it on your own?

and with everyone here stopping by to try to give you a helping hand, and I'll have to check back, because it's been a day since I have read this blog, but have you thanked anyone here, and tried to follow their suggestions??

Cruise Critic is all about trying to help fellow members, and from skiiergirl, and going back, there have been some wonderful ideas, and should be a great deal of help to you.

I sincerely hope that you find the answers that you are looking for, in life.

Rick

Agreed Rick.

It's the southern caribbean cruise. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao.

I've not been to Aruba or Cuacao so would be open to suggestions in the lines of Shopping/Sight Seeing.

Might I suggest you try Irie tours in Curacao. They offer all kinds of tours. We did the all day beach hopping tour with Sylvian van Ommeren and he was awesome! It was the best day of our cruise! We loved Curacao!

Yes there have been some helpful people and there have been some not. I have thanks those that have helped. Sorry you don't see that in the 24 hours since you read the blog. I'm not able to read and post every day. I was actually at work from 7am to 10pm yesterday.

I've asked questions and thanked those that have helped but there is a mix of what I would considered helpful people. Not in this thread but in others where they respond with "I was just on that cruise ask me any questions you want" so I ask questions and they come back with "Oh we never got off the boat I can't answer excursion questions" well then don't offer your help when I've only been asking about excurisions.

People only read what they want to read and ignore then rest and then reply on only part they actually took the time to read so then people just see the negative because it doesn't affect them so they don't actually care.

This is just the nature of the beast and how people are on internet forums. People here seems to be satisfied with very poor service from a company they pay a lot of money too and claim well that's what cruise critic is for and other 3rd party information companies. Yes it's great that there are these places and lots of helpful people sharing their information with others I just don't understand how anyone just accepts that and doesn't push for the company your paying to do a better job. You go to a mechanic to get your car repaired you expect them to do a good job and when they don't you don't just give them your money and walk away saying well that's to be expected they did what they could they just don't know about a or b I'll just go to this other website and fix it myself even though I've already paid them. You would never do that well I hope you wouldn't but for a cruise company your all oh well that's just how they are.

I've not once ever been mean to any of their staff I just continue to ask politely and patiently questions that none of them can answer so I end up asking if you don't have the answers who can you ask or who can I speak to that does. Most of the time that's no one.

I don't expect them to know every detail about everything but certainly someone at RCI has the answers to the questions, their constant sorry I don't know the answer but what else can I sell you attitude is aburd. I'm willing to spend the money if you just answer the questions.

But from the likes of most of you I'm just a complainer and should just throw money at them regardless if they can actually tell me anything and it's my fault some how that I don't use 3rd party information to make the decisions.

This has been the one of the most shocking experiences I've ever had to see how many people just are oh well about the whole thing.

Sure once I get to the boat it might be totally awesome but the money I'm paying for is for start to finish not just the middle to people who actually work the ship who are some of the most underpaid hardest working people they are.

Then their are the loyalsts on the forums there is no open minded you people are like bloods and crypts and are out for blood if someone calls out your preferred company. Some of you have only ever been on RCI and think of them as the best in the world and no one can compare how would you know if you've never tried anything else. That would be like only ever eating taco bell and saying that it's the best mexican food you've ever had.

Reviews are subjective on everything if you only ever went on what someone else said you'd miss out on a lot of things. Perfect examples of this are Movie Critics just because some jack wagon says some movie is the best of the year for you it might be total garbage but then there could be something said about a movie being not worth a dime and you may love it but if you only go by opinionated reviews all the time you might miss out on a movie that you actually love.

If you look hard enough you can find the same number of good reviews vs bad reviews for anything.

Yea I know rant rant rant rant :) I'll be quiet now and be a good little lemming and only ask questions and happy things.