First Time, Last Time, NEVER AGAIN!

May I suggest contacting your travel agent? They can go over the options with you, by making an appointment to help you with your vacation. Good luck take a deep breath and check out the roll call for your cruise.

did you read the entire first post? The OP booked directly

The main reason I even tried RCI was because of all the people that tell me how much better they are then everyone else but then I go through this and I just don't buy it. It's only the best if that's all you have ever tried which makes me believe that's what's going on.

Well i've tried many different cruise lines and I have to say RC is up there with the best, if not the best. I generally only consider others if its itinerary or price. I tried Carnival once and don't consider them even close, but others like them and each to their own.

Unfortunately it seems that you've built this up so much that you will struggle to enjoy your cruise. Okay their online tour detail isn't that great and the help you've received doesn't seem too bright either, but try and not let it ruin your holiday. Once onboard your holiday starts :D

I sometimes book online, but normally when I get on the ship and 9 times out of 10, there's availibility. Plus there's loads of great tour options. I do however always use cruise critic or TA for reviews and ideas and I wouldn't even consider calling a call centre where their knowledge may be somewhere between nil and zero :p Last one I called in the US, the call centre was in middle America the lady I spoke to said - how many of them have ever cruised? The ports team onboard will also be good as they do the tours themselves.

Good luck, try and enjoy your break :)

I agree with others that have suggested Tripadvisor, ports of call forum, your roll call and a good travel agent. I am an obsessive planner. I research every trip and excursion excessively before I book. I love Royal, and agree there website is far from perfect and customer service can be hit or miss. I have honestly never even considered asking the land customer service reps about excursions. There is so much information on these boards and on the Internet there is really no reason to call a scripted land rep who has likely never been on most if any of the excursions. It is all about the proper expectations. From the first time I set foot on my first Royal ship I fell in love with cruising and the product. No they are not perfect, but the ships are gorgeous, meticulous, with spacious well appointed cabins, and a great crew. So, relax, try some alternatives for investigating shore excursions and go on this cruise with a positive attitude. :cool:

While I've been on many cruises this was to be my first on RCI. At this point I can tell you if they offered me a full refund I would take it and run and never look back.

I've spent hours a day for weeks now trying to get either information out of their website or out of their customer service and it's all a BIG BIG Joke!

I don't see how you frequent cruises deal with them. All I get out of them is "I don't know I've never been there". How do you sell a product you know nothing about I just don't understand.

My favorite is returning someones phone call that left a message that says "We have information and answers to your questions" but not tell me so that when I call I wait on hold for 60 minutes only to be told that the person is not available even though I've called when they said they would be there only to be told they would have to call me back.

SOOOO furstrated with this and the cruise is still 45 days away. I can only imagin how bad it's going to be in 45 days if it's this bad now.

Never again will I even look at RCI.

Sorry for the giggle, to respond to your post.....Ah OK:rolleyes:

What is your problems ask us. I am 100% positive you will get good answers from people on here. Cruise Critic family normally knows way more then the royal reps. So before you get too upset post on here.

I joking talked to one rep last time and said how many cruises have you been on and she replied 0.

It's the southern caribbean cruise. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao.

I've not been to Aruba or Cuacao so would be open to suggestions in the lines of Shopping/Sight Seeing.

St. Thomas I've been on a cruise to just not RCI so I know the Cable Car is a good choice and I know there is shopping at the Havenport dock but RCI can't tell me what dock we are going to I've asked them a few times now they are not sure and have been unable to get the information. If I knew that I could atleast know what's around the dock and how far it is. Like the Havenport dock I know is a 5-10 min ride by taxi to downtown shopping.

St. Kitt's I know has a Senic Rail tour which I would like to do again but RCI again can't tell me anything even though it's on their own website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=KT39&DestinationCode=

No point in using their website since only works about 10% of the time. Either I can't login because "Your reservation is being modified" or when I am able to nothing seems to work. Again asking them for help get's me know where, all I get is "What excursion do you want to book" and I ask about them and in return get "Sorry I don't know anything about them".

It all just makes me want to scream.

These are some good ideas to start. For instance, right now I'm struggling with what to do in St. Thomas. I've been there several times. I've done a great island tour by a private carrier - either Godfrey or Sunny Liston. Very affordable. Great photo opportunities at the Mountain top.

Aruba/Curaco - very beautiful. I went there on Carnival and did two very good island tours. I'm not sure that RCCL offers them, but you should check under the shore excursions. The Natural Bridge and Shete Boka park were amazing and I'm not typically a nature type gal. There is a great location for snorkel, but I can't recall the name of the beach. Just look on google for the tourism bureaus for each island. That should help or check the Destination tab here on the website. There are great to do lists for each port.

:)Love that name- do you watch "The Goldbergs"? .... We are on that same itinerary. Definately go to the Ports of call/Caribbean and read about your specific island. I have done that for 3 cruises and have found excellent excursions independent and with RCI. I also go to Trip advisor and get excellent info about an island, it's attractions and first hand reviews of excursions/sightseeing/etc, that are up to date. I wouldn't expect the RCI agents to know much about each island. Good Luck and have a great cruise!

Don't limit yourself to ship excursions. There are some good private operators in the ports you are going to that have good reviews and are reliable. I have three private excursions booked for the same itenerary in October. :cool:

While I've been on many cruises this was to be my first on RCI. At this point I can tell you if they offered me a full refund I would take it and run and never look back.

I've spent hours a day for weeks now trying to get either information out of their website or out of their customer service and it's all a BIG BIG Joke!

I don't see how you frequent cruises deal with them. All I get out of them is "I don't know I've never been there". How do you sell a product you know nothing about I just don't understand.

My favorite is returning someones phone call that left a message that says "We have information and answers to your questions" but not tell me so that when I call I wait on hold for 60 minutes only to be told that the person is not available even though I've called when they said they would be there only to be told they would have to call me back.

SOOOO furstrated with this and the cruise is still 45 days away. I can only imagin how bad it's going to be in 45 days if it's this bad now.

Don't let the door hit in the a.....s.

I agree with others that have suggested Tripadvisor, ports of call forum, your roll call and a good travel agent. I am an obsessive planner. I research every trip and excursion excessively before I book. I love Royal, and agree there website is far from perfect and customer service can be hit or miss. I have honestly never even considered asking the land customer service reps about excursions. There is so much information on these boards and on the Internet there is really no reason to call a scripted land rep who has likely never been on most if any of the excursions. It is all about the proper expectations. From the first time I set foot on my first Royal ship I fell in love with cruising and the product. No they are not perfect, but the ships are gorgeous, meticulous, with spacious well appointed cabins, and a great crew. So, relax, try some alternatives for investigating shore excursions and go on this cruise with a positive attitude. :cool:

This is excellent advice. I too am an avid researcher and planner when it comes to excursions. As other CC members have posted, there is a wealth of info on TripAdvisor and CC threads. There are many other excursion companies who will have similar tours with less people and for less money. I've also had good luck booking directly with numerous excursion providers. Quite frankly, the last person I'd ever call and ask advice on an excursion would be an RCI rep or any cruise line rep. :cool:

I also use Trip Advisor and the Ports of Call section of CC to plan excursions.

FWIW, yes, the on-line and call center experience on Royal Caribbean is terrible, but I find that to be the norm for mass market cruise lines, not the exception. I just try to be patient, and I've always been satisfied with my interactions on board.

First off thank you for those that have replied with either positive feedback or recommendations.

Also thank you for those that actually read my OP and then replied vs the few that just replied blindly.

Don't let the door hit in the a.....s.

For this guy/gal you can pound sand.

That said, I did kind of rush into the booking because after the May 16 till Octoberish the prices really jump because of summer so it was take this one or wait till end of the year or next year. I NEED A VACATION :) If you can't tell and this hoop jumping isn't helping.

I did say in my OP that we are laid back kind of people so just looking for shopping/sightseeing nothing low to mild activity. While only in our 40's we both suffer from issues that prevent us from being to adventurous.

As for beaches well I live in Florida and have plenty of that and I burn pretty quick so I try not to be in the sun to much and laying in the sun in the sand just isn't my idea of a good time I'd rather see things I could not see anywhere else.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but more frustration from RCI last night. I've been working with one of their "Resolution" team members to get answers about some excursions. To reach one of these people you have to call the main number and ask for one and then you go though this checklist about your cruise info where they verify everything before they transfer you which what that is they put you on hold while they find someone and then transfer you. So when this person calls you back if you miss the call you go through this every time there is no way to contact them directly by phone or email. So yesterday they called and left a message letting me know they have the information I needed. Rather then just telling me the answer I had to call this person back. I waited on hold for an hour mind you this is 9pm est at night. Finally the person trying to "Transfer me" tells me she's not available even though her message said she would be available till 11pm est. She then tells me she's spoken to her co worker who has this information and that she will transfer me to her. That person gets on the phone and says "Hello, how can I help you", I was like umm I was told you had the answers to my questions. Well apparently that was a lie she didn't know anything and took my name and number to have the other person call me back. Waited an hour for that, no phone call back last night either.

I didn't use a TA becuase I didn't think I would be able to get the same offer that RCI offered directly and have never used a TA for anything before. Maybe that needs to change.

Mr.Smoofy, I feel your pain; we are about to take our very first cruise with RCL and can honestly say that we have had nothing but problems with the web site, both before the big change and after, and with Customer Service BUT, dealing with all of that is just part of the Cruise Experience and we will wait to see how things go once onboard the ship before we decide about cruising again with RCL. Don't let the web site and phone calls keep you from having the best experience you can while cruising. Plan out your activity and enjoy! :D

It's the southern caribbean cruise. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao.

I've not been to Aruba or Cuacao so would be open to suggestions in the lines of Shopping/Sight Seeing.

St. Thomas I've been on a cruise to just not RCI so I know the Cable Car is a good choice and I know there is shopping at the Havenport dock but RCI can't tell me what dock we are going to I've asked them a few times now they are not sure and have been unable to get the information. If I knew that I could atleast know what's around the dock and how far it is. Like the Havenport dock I know is a 5-10 min ride by taxi to downtown shopping.

St. Kitt's I know has a Senic Rail tour which I would like to do again but RCI again can't tell me anything even though it's on their own website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=KT39&DestinationCode=

No point in using their website since only works about 10% of the time. Either I can't login because "Your reservation is being modified" or when I am able to nothing seems to work. Again asking them for help get's me know where, all I get is "What excursion do you want to book" and I ask about them and in return get "Sorry I don't know anything about them".

It all just makes me want to scream.

I've been to Aruba and we rented a jeep and went jeepin around... was the best time on the best island that we went to!

I always use a travel agent so I never have to call a cruise line. When in their office and they call RCI, it's a mere seconds before they are talking with someone. They obviously have a different number than the public.

You can have a crappy cruise or a good one, it's your choice.

My best website tip for not encountering the frustrating "your booking is being modified" message. You have to leave your booking properly by returning to the my cruises page and clicking yes when it asks if you want to leave the booking. If you just hop off to another page it locks your booking for 15 minutes. Once I realised this I spent much less time shouting at my computer [emoji16].

I have booked excursions in advance and on the ship and have never had a problem finding what I want available on the ship, so if it comes to it and you can't decide before it should be ok to wait.

Most importantly, have a great trip!!

Great advice. I was having this problem in the first couple of days after I booked online. Once I was told about this (exiting the reservation online correctly), it made things much easier.

So far though, I have no difficulties with follow up after booking online. I have had each and every questions answered in a timely manner with what seems to be reasonably accurate information. If someone has not been able to provide the information, I have asked what would be my best chance of getting the correct information. I have been directed to someone who could provide the information, or I have been told who I could see once aboard.

MrSmoofy, I hope you enjoy the cruise you have booked. Remember, it's a vacation. It is supposed to be fun. Don't stress yourself out.

Ok - step away from the phone. Take a deep breath and ask yourself a question - do I want to waste the money I have already spent and will spend on this cruise or do I want to enjoy it?

I can guarantee this - if you step foot on that ship with what appears to be an attitude, you'll get precisely what you think you will get - a bad time. The Explorer class ships are great ships and in your case you'll be sailing out of San Juan to some wonderful Southern Caribbean ports. That for me is a trip I dream about taking some day.

If you have questions, pop them up here on CC. Join your roll call, ask them. Typically I can get the answer to any cruise question in less time than it takes me to get a coffee simply by posting here. Forget RCI - if you have a question ask it here.

Lighten up. Its a cruise - enjoy it.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

First off thank you for those that have replied with either positive feedback or recommendations.

Also thank you for those that actually read my OP and then replied vs the few that just replied blindly.

For this guy/gal you can pound sand.

That said, I did kind of rush into the booking because after the May 16 till Octoberish the prices really jump because of summer so it was take this one or wait till end of the year or next year. I NEED A VACATION :) If you can't tell and this hoop jumping isn't helping.

I did say in my OP that we are laid back kind of people so just looking for shopping/sightseeing nothing low to mild activity. While only in our 40's we both suffer from issues that prevent us from being to adventurous.

As for beaches well I live in Florida and have plenty of that and I burn pretty quick so I try not to be in the sun to much and laying in the sun in the sand just isn't my idea of a good time I'd rather see things I could not see anywhere else.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but more frustration from RCI last night. I've been working with one of their "Resolution" team members to get answers about some excursions. To reach one of these people you have to call the main number and ask for one and then you go though this checklist about your cruise info where they verify everything before they transfer you which what that is they put you on hold while they find someone and then transfer you. So when this person calls you back if you miss the call you go through this every time there is no way to contact them directly by phone or email. So yesterday they called and left a message letting me know they have the information I needed. Rather then just telling me the answer I had to call this person back. I waited on hold for an hour mind you this is 9pm est at night. Finally the person trying to "Transfer me" tells me she's not available even though her message said she would be available till 11pm est. She then tells me she's spoken to her co worker who has this information and that she will transfer me to her. That person gets on the phone and says "Hello, how can I help you", I was like umm I was told you had the answers to my questions. Well apparently that was a lie she didn't know anything and took my name and number to have the other person call me back. Waited an hour for that, no phone call back last night either.

I didn't use a TA becuase I didn't think I would be able to get the same offer that RCI offered directly and have never used a TA for anything before. Maybe that needs to change.

Why do you continue calling RCI??? The call center is going to know nothing about shore excursions other than how to book. And as you're seeing, will continue to increase your frustration. The single best piece of advice I came away with is book excursions yourself. You'll have more options and probably save money. You've got a lot of good feedback here. This website and these people are going to be your best source of information. You've got hundreds of people who have been on your itinerary, been in the ports and shopped for and vetted the excursions.

Come up with a list of specific questions and issues. The more specific the question, the better answer you will get. Then refer to the port forums or Trip Advisor and I can almost promise you, you'll get your questions answered and come away with reliable information. You're going on a great itinerary and especially if you're not looking for anything out of the ordinary, planning will not be difficult.

I've traveled all over Europe, Hawaii, Indonesia, cruised, etc. by making way through with an iPad and some careful research and never once referred to a tour provider or travel agent to help me. It can definitely be done and you still have plenty of time to plan.

Edited by paulh84

First, forget the RCI website and their operators! I've been on more than 30 RCI cruises and I wouldn't depend an operator who lives in Iowa to know about the excursions. I never book an excursion until I get on the ship. After I board and get settled and have lunch I go to the excursion desk and talk with the rep. These people know about the excursions! I've never found the excursions to be booked. The cruise you are going on is great, I've done it out of San Juan, loved all the ports! If you don't find an excursion that fits your interest, get off the ship and talk to the cruise operators that hover at the port. also Trip Advisor is very helpful as well, I travel full time and I write many reviews for them and it's a good source of info. Get on that ship with the expectation that you will have a great time and you will! A lot of people get on with the attitude of what else can go wrong and look for hiccups and you will definitely find them. I have

Learned that if you interact with the crew, make eye contact, chat it up with them every chance you get they will absolutely treat you right. especially your room steward. Don't plan every moment of your trip, it's a VACATION and it sounds like you need it at this point!

Be spontaneous ! Your welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like a lot of you are just ok with receiving crappy service from a company that you've have spent a lot of money with. I don't understand that.

I've seen reponses of "You can expect that kind of crappy service from all cruise lines" Really? I can't believe you all are ok with this.

Those of you that have been to St. Kitts on AOS or any other ship with RCI have any of you done the Senic Rail Tour?

Really? I can't believe you all are ok with this.

Well honestly, most of us cant believe you would be calling a random CSR at Royal Caribbean who has likely NEVER even stepped foot on a cruise ship asking detailed questions about excursions :)

Thats what this place is for.

The good thing for you is, service is generally MUCH better from the ship than it is from Miami office. With a dramatic "NEVER AGAIN" subject line about a cruise you havent even went on yet you should expect some backlash :)

Edited by ryano

Well honestly, most of us cant believe you would be calling a random CSR at Royal Caribbean who has likely NEVER even stepped foot on a cruise ship asking detailed questions about excursions :)

I hope that is cheek in tounge :) Shame on me for calling a company I'm buying something from and asking them questions about it :)

I hope that is cheek in tounge :) Shame on me for calling a company I'm buying something from and asking them questions about it :)

Good for you. When I was in the market for a new car the saleswomen knew all about horse power, torque, gas mileage (it was litres per 100km actually),etc. And when I asked about the options like parking assist and rear view camera somebody there could answer my questions. I didn't have to resort to Car Critic once!;)

Sadly, all the cruise lines are not like most other businesses. Think of the product knowledge of their CSRs on the same level as the mobile phone, or cable companies' CSRs.:eek: